Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,334 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:03 PM

How I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified Or Trained For - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified Or Trained For (25330 Views)

Lady In Tears After Reducing Her Age To Get A Job She Qualified For With Her Rea / 'I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified For': A Testimony That Fuels Mediocrity - Man / When You're Not Qualified For A Job But You Have Connections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified Or Trained For by UjSizzle(f): 7:04pm On Feb 09, 2017
Study CBN prudential guidelines as it relates to microfinance banks. You don't want the bank defaulting on any of those.

Your job is to ensure that regulatory guidelines and organizational regulations are adhered to.

So basically, you have a lot to read.

Good luck smiley

3 Likes

Re: How I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified Or Trained For by mayorchelsea(m): 9:37pm On Feb 09, 2017
Pecca:

if you had started this crummy dialogue nicely I would have been disappointed at myself. but,of course, you can't. know why? you are just another run of the mill...you run to type for sure. Hence, I am not disappointed, I am only sorry...lest I forget, hope you know that there is an aspect of the law that frowns at QUACKERY
Are you done?If you find yourself in my shoes,would you refuse to take up the challenge before you started it or give it a try?If you didn't have anything good to say,you could have as well just swerved and moved on,commenting wasn't necessary.Next time,if someone asks for an advice and you don't have any useful tips to give,just stay out,thank you.

1 Like

Re: How I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified Or Trained For by mayorchelsea(m): 9:41pm On Feb 09, 2017
UjSizzle:
Study CBN prudential guidelines as it relates to microfinance banks. You don't want the bank defaulting on any of those.

Your job is to ensure that regulatory guidelines and organizational regulations are adhered to.

So basically, you have a lot to read.

Good luck smiley
Thank you,I'm grateful.Your two cents was quite helpful,gracias!
Re: How I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified Or Trained For by Pecca: 9:48pm On Feb 09, 2017
mayorchelsea:
Are you done?If you find yourself in my shoes,would you refuse to take up the challenge before you started it or give it a try?If you didn't have anything good to say,you could have as well just swerved and moved on,commenting wasn't necessary.Next time,if someone asks for an advice and you don't have any useful tips to give,just stay out,thank you.
nothing to say to the above...surely, nothing...just don't neigh next time, huh?
Re: How I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified Or Trained For by laudate: 10:59pm On Feb 09, 2017
mayorchelsea:
Good day guys, I got a job which I'm not exactly trained or qualified for. I've never worked in this capacity before and the firm has placed the responsibility of creating that department on me and expect me to do well over the next six months. I turned down a marketing offer and they asked me the other roles I think I'll do well. I mentioned internal control/auditing and was asked to write what i know about the roles.

They were impressed with the write-up and I'll be working as internal auditor/compliance officer in a microfinance bank. I know I can check the job functions on Google but I need practical tips,materials,videos etc to succeed from experienced persons and/or persons who studied auditing/internal control as a course or have worked in similar sector before as compliance officer,thanks in advance.Lalasticlala,abeg help my ministry to progress to permanent site.

Weren't you interviewed before being given the job? Were the interviewers so clueless that they were unable to decode that you had zero skills for the job they offered you? shocked Chai!! I'm sure they overlooked more qualified folks in that field, to hire you. Just look for any workshop or regular corporate training in that particular field, and pay for it. Make sure you attend it sharp-sharp and try to network with other participants there, so they can offer you free retraining and coaching. undecided

Otherwise, if you do not master the job before your probation period is over....omo, the management will kiss you goodbye. Don't say I didn't tell you! sad
Re: How I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified Or Trained For by sirusX(m): 5:33am On Feb 10, 2017
Cc: mayorchelsea

All I can say is that you'ld have to start by building a solid foundation in knowledge from the solid advice given to you by others in the thread as regards internal and external regulations...banking system and government

Then you'd need proper mentoring...so, if you can lay your hand on a friend, or establish a connection with someone in a similar role in a microfinance bank, then you can be guided accordingly regarding processes, procedures and periodic report writing to appropriate authorities.

Not forgetting the courses and certification you need to acquire

It ain't gonna be easy, cz it might cost you some sleepless nights to get better and become knowledgeable within a limited time frame...as it's a new ground to conquer for you.

May God see you through...and empower you with the wisdom you need to succeed. Amen!

2 Likes

Re: How I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified Or Trained For by Mattex001(m): 7:04am On Feb 10, 2017
BiafranBushBoy:
Hahahaha...

You see the type of people I love?

SMART Ass!!!

I wrote it at www.topwritersden.com

Tell them you can do... Later on, find a way to sort yourself!

You can check around on Google and take time to enroll for online classes!.. That is what I do now!

#peace bro.

True! But your will definitely feel overwhelmed by the job responsibilities!
Esp when you have no idea as to where to start from. Nothing is as complicated as doing something you don't have any residual knowledge about!

But nonetheless he should understand what is expected of him first and gradually work and understand what his deliverables are.

Regardless of what anyone tell you Audit from Company to Company varies hence you can entire leverage on an information as regards the practice of another company.

Make use of Google and YouTube
You will learn at the end of the day and build an experience as well. But do not chicken out when you feel so overwhelmed by the demands of the Job. It's normal and the phase will definitely elapse.

So the dude should get his head straight ask questions when you seem confused and keep moving.

Good luck

1 Like

Re: How I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified Or Trained For by BiafranBushBoy: 7:50am On Feb 10, 2017
Mattex001:

Esp when you have no idea as to where to start from. Nothing is as complicated as doing something you don't have any residual knowledge about!

But nonetheless he should understand what is expected of him first and gradually work and understand what his deliverables are.

Regardless of what anyone tell you Audit from Company to Company varies hence you can entire leverage on an information as regards the practice of another company.

You will learn at the end of the day and build an experience as well. But do not chicken out when you feel so overwhelmed by the demands of the Job. It's normal and the phase will definitely elapse.

So the dude should get his head straight ask questions when you seem confused and keep moving.

Good luck

I liked your post.

1 Like

Re: How I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified Or Trained For by Nobody: 9:17am On Feb 10, 2017
Good morning friends
I just received this message
With reference to your application for the position of a Marketing Officer, you are hereby invited for an interview with Gulf treasures Limited scheduled for Thursday, 16th February, 2017 @ 6 Child Avenue off Liverpool Road Apapa by Barracks bus stop by 10am.

pls what will be my role as a marketing officer, this is my first interview. i read about them and i found out that they are into oil and gas
Re: How I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified Or Trained For by mayorchelsea(m): 10:38am On Feb 10, 2017
sirusX:
Cc: mayorchelsea

All I can say is that you'ld have to start by building a solid foundation in knowledge from the solid advice given to you by others in the thread as regards internal and external regulations...banking system and government

Then you'd need proper mentoring...so, if you can lay your hand on a friend, or establish a connection with someone in a similar role in a microfinance bank, then you can be guided accordingly regarding processes, procedures and periodic report writing to appropriate authorities.

Not forgetting the courses and certification you need to acquire

It ain't gonna be easy, cz it might cost you some sleepless nights to get better and become knowledgeable within a limited time frame...as it's a new ground to conquer for you.

May God see you through...and empower you with the wisdom you need to succeed. Amen!
Thank you very much Sir. I'll be getting all the support I need from experienced hands here and this could be a chance for me to obtain one or two qualifications here,thanks again,your post was enlightening.

1 Like

Re: How I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified Or Trained For by mayorchelsea(m): 10:52am On Feb 10, 2017
laudate:

Weren't you interviewed before being given the job? Were the interviewers so clueless that they were unable to decode that you had zero skills for the job they offered you? shocked Chai!! I'm sure they overlooked more qualified folks in that field, to hire you. Just look for any workshop or regular corporate training in that particular field, and pay for it. Make sure you attend it sharp-sharp and try to network with other participants there, so they can offer you free retraining and coaching. undecided

Otherwise, if you do not master the job before your probation period is over....omo, the management will kiss you goodbye. Don't say I didn't tell you! sad
Forget the title of the thread.The firm had no department or role as that.I was asked to write on the relevance of that role to what they do.They were impressed with what I was able to come up with especially the fact that it was impromptu. They decided to create that role and I'll be working with other experienced hands too but I just don't wanna relax and assume I'm good to stay.I want to do well and it's what brought about this thread in the first place.Again,no candidate applied for this role because they didn't have it and I just used my experience in microfinance to convince them of the need for it,would you blame me?
Re: How I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified Or Trained For by mayorchelsea(m): 11:00am On Feb 10, 2017
Mattex001:

Good luck
You are a bit wrong bro.I've worked in a microfinance setting before,I have staff that will be working with me and I know what my job entails but as you know,theory is different from practice.Working with a former boss who was a compliance officer really helped me during the assessment. Also, I have friends who work in similar roles in commercial banks;so I'll be good,thanks.
Re: How I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified Or Trained For by laudate: 12:44pm On Feb 10, 2017
mayorchelsea:
Forget the title of the thread.The firm had no department or role as that.I was asked to write on the relevance of that role to what they do.They were impressed with what I was able to come up with especially the fact that it was impromptu. They decided to create that role and I'll be working with other experienced hands too but I just don't wanna relax and assume I'm good to stay.I want to do well and it's what brought about this thread in the first place.Again,no candidate applied for this role because they didn't have it and I just used my experience in microfinance to convince them of the need for it,would you blame me?

Thanks for the additional info. No, I wouldn't blame you. But you need to also manage their expectations by letting them know that your experience in this new field is a bit limited, and as such you need their cooperation and support. Now, as a new staff they may not be willing to send you on courses immediately, so you might need to fund those courses yourself, initially. sad

Since it is a new role, you would also have to manage all your internal stakeholders very well. This is critical, as some chaps in there may not know exactly what your new job entails, and may see you as interfering in their work, whenever it comes to time to carry out your assignment. Just solicit their understanding, and work hard to learn as much as you can. Any mistakes on your part, could lead to the regulators slamming a heavy fine on your microfinance bank. undecided

I wish you lots of luck. wink
Re: How I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified Or Trained For by mayorchelsea(m): 11:33pm On Feb 10, 2017
laudate:

Thanks for the additional info. No, I wouldn't blame you. But you need to also manage their expectations by letting them know that your experience in this new field is a bit limited, and as such you need their cooperation and support. Now, as a new staff they may not be willing to send you on courses immediately, so you might need to fund those courses yourself, initially. sad

Since it is a new role, you would also have to manage all your internal stakeholders very well. This is critical, as some chaps in there may not know exactly what your new job entails, and may see you as interfering in their work, whenever it comes to time to carry out your assignment. Just solicit their understanding, and work hard to learn as much as you can. Any mistakes on your part, could lead to the regulators slamming a heavy fine on your microfinance bank. undecided

I wish you lots of luck. wink
Thank you bro,you are good.
Re: How I Got A Job I'm Not Qualified Or Trained For by Dblaz(f): 3:41pm On Jan 18, 2021
Looking for helpful materials on Gemstone Microfinance job test? then check this out. Found it helpful too
https://myjobtests.com/practice/package/gemstone-microfinance-past-questions-practice-2021/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Breweries Ability Test For Trainee Shift Manager Packaging / 7 Hilarious Ways Nigerians Begin A New Job / NBC Aptitude Test Invitation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.