Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,240 members, 7,829,439 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:57 AM

Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds (15125 Views)

Guinness Nigeria’s $126 MlNaira Share Sale Oversubscribed / Lagos Contributes 97.07% To Nigeria’s $1.8b Capital Inflow In Q2—NBS / Uba’s Debut $500m Eurobond Oversubscribed By 240% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by Nobody: 9:28pm On Feb 09, 2017
teflondoncuzo:
Me I don't understand all this bond ish. Can someone plz explain

IstandwithBUhari. 1Nigeria

why are we so dull and lacking in initiative in this country, you have access to the internet so what does it take for you to type "what are bonds" into google?
Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by ephi123(f): 9:29pm On Feb 09, 2017
PassingShot:

Different bodies, individuals and corporate entities can buy bonds from the govt. It doesn't have to be banks alone.

If you take your time to read it up, it's the bond issuer that states the interest rate and for how long the bond will be issued for. Generally, the interest rates for bonds are much lower than conventional loans. Also, the buyer of govt bonds, the lender so to say, does not determine what the bond issuer uses the money for. The reverse could be the case with regular loan.

Those differences you are pointing out are all very minor, the key issue here is that money still has to be paid back (no matter how lax or stringent the initial conditions were), there is nothing to celebrate about taking on more debt, it is not free money afterall plus the government will still pay interest on it as it cannot even default unlike with corporate bonds where companies can claim bankruptcy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by maskid(m): 9:30pm On Feb 09, 2017
PassingShot:

Different bodies, individuals and corporate entities can buy bonds from the govt. It doesn't have to be banks alone.

If you take your time to read it up, it's the bond issuer that states the interest rate and for how long the bond will be issued for. Generally, the interest rates for bonds are much lower than conventional loans. Also, the buyer of govt bonds, the lender so to say, does not determine what the bond issuer uses the money for. The reverse could be the case with regular loan.

bottom line is u are plain clueless and bereft of common sense. just swallow the hard pill of admittance instead of trying so hard to justify ur ignorance.

cant u see u have been served cos u goofed.

reminds me of "stealing is not corruption " thingy.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by grandstar(m): 9:30pm On Feb 09, 2017
PassingShot:
This is like putting a dagger through the heart of haters, the wailing zombies who detest good news about Nigeria.

Liepods, how far na?

The rates are quite high. It shows they consider Nigeria high risk.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by ephi123(f): 9:31pm On Feb 09, 2017
vodutive:
Economic expert will tell you Nigeria needs $30 - $70B PER ANNUM to address infrastructure deficit and we are celebrating a loan of $1B?

South Africa with a population one quarter of Nigeria's population spent $22 Billion (297 B Rand) on Education last year of which $15.5Billion (205B Rand) was on Basic education alone !!!!

We are not serious people!!!

http://ewn.co.za/2016/02/24/BudgetSpeech2016-More-money-for-education-grants-health

SPENT On Education. Those are the key words. The money was not looted, it was budgeted and spent on education.

Have you seen the meagre allocation given to Education in the latest budget? And you expect Nigeria to be at par with South Africa? It ain't happening dude.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by maskid(m): 9:32pm On Feb 09, 2017
ephi123:

Those differences you are pointing out are all very minor, the key issue here is that money still has to be paid back (no matter how lax or stringent the initial conditions were), there is nothing to celebrate about taking on more debt, it is not free money afterall plus the government will still pay interest on it as it cannot even default unlike with corporate bonds where companies can claim bankruptcy.

just leave the little boy. "the stridency of his cluelessness has reached the heights of impiety" .. wole soyinka

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by seeker4life: 9:32pm On Feb 09, 2017
unclezuma:
grin grin grin grin

George Orwell's 1984.

Ur head dey there had to log in cuz of ya...same story all the way!!!ppl don't just get that the system will always be thesame
Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by ephi123(f): 9:35pm On Feb 09, 2017
maskid:

just leave the little boy. "the stridency of his cluelessness has reached the heights of impiety" .. wole soyinka

This grammar no be small cheesy grin
Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by davidif: 9:36pm On Feb 09, 2017
vodutive:

why are we so dull and lacking in initiative in this country, you have access to the internet so what does it take for you to type "what are bonds" into google?

You didn't have to demean her, you could have just chosen not to respond.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by Nobody: 9:37pm On Feb 09, 2017
ephi123:

SPENT On Education. Those are the key words. The money was not looted, it was budgeted and spent on education.

Have you seen the meagre allocation given to Education in the latest budget? And you expect Nigeria to be at par with South Africa? It ain't happening dude.

My friend you have to have the vision to envisage the budget needed before you can even loot...and by the way they loot in SA.

I never told you we are catching up with SA, I am telling you that if small loan of $1b is what we are making noise about then I am predicting the future and telling you why in 20 years, Nigerian graduates will be unemployable (as if they are now) and unable to compete with their South African colleagues who will be taking their jobs in Nigeria because they are better qualified.
Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by BabaCommander: 9:38pm On Feb 09, 2017
PassingShot:

Bond is different from borrowing. Help yourself instead of wasting away online.

The main difference from the conventional borrowing is that the bond issuer determines the interest rate and tenor whereas the lender in the case of borrowing dictates the repayment conditions.
grin At the end of the grammar, it's still the same borrowing.

wink

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by davidif: 9:49pm On Feb 09, 2017
UncleSnr:
Please if you understand, kindly explain for us.

Speaking on behalf of those that will shout sai baba, or shame baba. We need to understand before choosing which to shout.

Bond is the same thing as debt meaning that you have to pay it back with interest. In other words, it looks like Nigeria is trying to spend its way out of a recesion which I doubt is going to work. We are doing almost the same thing the Americans did in the 30's and what several other countries did after that, the thing is it didn't work and Nigerians are about to find it out the hard way. Just ask the Japanese.
Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by davidif: 9:58pm On Feb 09, 2017
Boss13:
Nothing special. There is no other investment opportunities. Ghana's Eurobond was oversubscribed too. Foreign capital investors are looking for the next piece of action to make money

and the interest rates are going to be a killer though. The riskier the bond, the higher the interest rate that's what makes it worthwhile for investors.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by rusher14: 10:41pm On Feb 09, 2017
awa:
Is not about being oversubscribed but what impact or effect would have on the common man along the street after the whole exercise.

Don't believe what any of these APC fools tell you....

Call me Hater and face the wrath of Udeme my friend.
For a bond to be oversubscribed means there's investor confidence of the system.

Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by Juciano1(m): 10:52pm On Feb 09, 2017
PassingShot:

Bond is different from borrowing. Help yourself instead of wasting away online.

The main difference from the conventional borrowing is that the bond issuer determines the interest rate and tenor whereas the lender in the case of borrowing dictates the repayment conditions.
Please don't mislead. Bonds are borrowing instruments. FG is essentially borrowing from external investors.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by davidif: 12:19am On Feb 10, 2017
Tarzaa:
With God, all things are possible. We must surely get there!

Wait what?? the govt is borrowing money that they are going to have to pay significant interest on and you are jubilating?
Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by davidif: 12:19am On Feb 10, 2017
Juciano1:
Please don't mislead. Bonds are borrowing instruments. FG is essentially borrowing from external investors.

No mind them o. There is so much misinformation here.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by davidif: 12:21am On Feb 10, 2017
Jacobx007:

So who is wasting online? Common bond u don't know the meaning

You didn't have to be disrespectful. You could have just offered him an explanation or simply ignore him instead of insulting the guy.
Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by davidif: 12:21am On Feb 10, 2017
josh123:
Ayam nt understanding anything undecided,who fit summarize am for me?

they borrowed money.
Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by davidif: 12:23am On Feb 10, 2017
ephi123:

Thank goodness there are informed people here.

"bond is different from borrowing..." what won't one see on this Nairaland?

hahahahaha, tell them jare.
Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by davidif: 12:27am On Feb 10, 2017
ephi123:
There is no free lunch even in Freetown. Government should stop accumulating debt under different guises, we are saddled with enough unprofitable debts as it is.

I am guessing govt spending is what is keeping inflation at a high rate in Nigeria. Can you confirm this?
Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by davidif: 12:28am On Feb 10, 2017
teflondoncuzo:
Me I don't understand all this bond ish. Can someone plz explain

IstandwithBUhari. 1Nigeria

them dey borrow money which them must pay back with interest. End of story.
Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by Truth234(m): 2:34am On Feb 10, 2017
PassingShot:

Oga, it is borrowing and the difference between bond sales and conventional borrowing is actually our disadvantage. For instance, the government is issuing this bond at a premium high (interest rate) to attract investors. While in conventional borrowing interest are way lower (foreign institution) and costs of servicing debt are cheaper but when there is no foreign institution that wants to borrow us due to the current headwings in the country and the downgrading by credit ratings in recent time. The government result to borrowing (bond sale) at a very 'High Cost'. Don't forget this is money we really do not have.

Let me ask you, why are investors rushing the bond giving the level of risk exposure and uncertainty?
Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by Blue3k(m): 2:59am On Feb 10, 2017
Did you guys read the article. This going to get crazy soon. It's a Eurobond meaning it demoniated in foreign currency. That means when interest rates go up Nigeria going to struggle paying it back. The bonds are at an interest of over 7%. This is going to be risky if Nigeria doesn't have policies to boast economic growth to support this borrowing.
Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by davidif: 4:34am On Feb 10, 2017
Truth234:

Oga, it is borrowing and the difference between bond sales and conventional borrowing is actually our disadvantage. For instance, the government is issuing this bond at a premium high (interest rate) to attract investors. While in conventional borrowing interest are way lower (foreign institution) and costs of servicing debt are cheaper but when there is no foreign institution that wants to borrow us due to the current headwings in the country and the downgrading by credit ratings in recent time. The government result to borrowing (bond sale) at a very 'High Cost'. Don't forget this is money we really do not have.

Let me ask you, why are investors rushing the bond giving the level of risk exposure and uncertainty?

No mind dem jare. The ignorance here hurts.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by seguntijan(m): 6:33am On Feb 10, 2017
Nigeria was using in excess of N500b in 2012 & N700b in 2013 to 'defend' the Naira against the dollar when there's oil boom. Now we have little or no oil to sell due to vandalism.
Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by Ximenez(m): 9:02am On Feb 10, 2017
Ronaldinnioh:
J
My old friend.
Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by ephi123(f): 9:53am On Feb 10, 2017
davidif:

hahahahaha, tell them jare.

cheesy don't mind them
Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by ephi123(f): 9:55am On Feb 10, 2017
davidif:

I am guessing govt spending is what is keeping inflation at a high rate in Nigeria. Can you confirm this?

To be honest, I am not always sure if indices that apply in other countries work the same way in Nigeria, our case always seems different.
Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by DaCharis2016: 9:59am On Feb 10, 2017
What does this mean to an average nigerian sef?
Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by subsurface: 10:23am On Feb 10, 2017
datola:
Wow, this shows Mrs Adeosun is really working to restore investor's confidence in the Nigeria economy.

Haters gonna hate anyway.

its now i knw u dont understand bond; international finance & debt.

how many countries in the world (that a a vision to grow in the future) will u get a bond as high as 5%?

also note that this is dollar currency bond; not naira that cbn can print (& then devalue the naira) incase nigeria couldnt repay back!!!

the country is sinking more & more into debt; T.bills now is abt 18%...

who will pay for all these debts/loans in future...

i am sorry for those that are putting their hopes in oil & gas; because the prices may likely crash again cos the shale producers in the US that crashed it at first have all resumed production...

so tell me where the money will come from??

this is wat u get when u take an accountant and make her an economist.
Re: Nigeria’s $1 Billion Eurobond Oversubscribed By 7 Folds by teflondoncuzo(m): 11:57am On Feb 10, 2017
vodutive:

You that is wise why can't u just explain it or keep ur fingers to yourself n don't start typing trash

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Open A Fuel Filling Station? / Lagos International Trade Fair 2015 / Fire Razes Shops, Cars At Ubakala Junction Umuahia (Pictures, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.