Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,649 members, 7,809,453 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:53 AM

Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 (3364 Views)

Poll: Most controversial topic of the year?

Allah: 8% (1 vote)
Prophet Mohammed: 8% (1 vote)
Evolution vs creationism: 16% (2 votes)
god: 25% (3 votes)
divinity of jesus: 16% (2 votes)
African Religions: 8% (1 vote)
The way to heaven: 8% (1 vote)
Tithing and church fraud: 8% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

10 Most Controversial Nigerian Pastors Of 2014 / Would Jesus Approve Of Muhammad On The Topic Of Holiness / Vote Your Best Pastor Of The Year 2009 Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by noetic15(m): 4:17pm On Dec 05, 2009
Just a count down . . . . .what topics were the most explosive and controversial on nairaland in the religion section for the year 2009.

1. Allah?: any attempt by anyone to discuss the origin of allah, [etc] is usually met with a ban and the thread locked.
certain people are uncomfortable with discussing or exposing the true origins of allah.
RSVP: mukina, jarus, osisi, nezan, olabowale, abuzola, Godson, DavidDylan,  No2atheism, muhsin, noetic. . . . . . . . 

2. "prophet" mohammed: one of the unspoken rules of nairaland is not to open a thread to discuss the "prophethood" of mohammed, to discuss mohammed is to ask for a ban or your thread locked.
RSVP: mukina, jarus, osisi, nezan, olabowale, abuzola, Godson, DavidDylan,  No2atheism, muhsin, uplawal, fellis, oyb, mazaje, tudor, noetic. . . . . . . .

3. Evolution v Creationism: Many resident atheists worship the god of evolution. . .as it is their only alternative to creationsm. yet evolution does not conform to the basic definition of science. the scientific nature of evolution cannot be established. the ignorant claim that creationism relies on faith cannot stand the test of intellectual scrutiny, the many scientific notions and evidences that easily support creationism are discarded by the worshippers of evolution.

Anytime a thread is opened on evolution or creationism . . . ,  .then its a nairaland religion war. This topic has the ability to expose the ignorance of many "alleged scientists"
RSVP: David, KAG, huxley, tudor, toneyb, mazaje, noetic, duduspace, krayola, wirinet, olaadegbu. . . . . .  , 

4. God: The religion section is about spirituality so it should not be a surprise that God is a hot topic. many have divergent opinions on the existence, ontology, divinity and personality of God. The minimum number of pages for any thread that discusses this topic is usually 5 pages in the first hour.
RSVP: David, KAG, huxley, tudor, toneyb, mazaje, noetic, duduspace, krayola, Jesoul, Pastor Aio, olabowale, pilgrim, wirinet, olaadegbu. . . . . .  , 

5. Divinity of Jesus: apart from the plagiarism of islam and the frauds of allah. . .the divinity of Jesus is the most explosive topic especially between muslims and xtians.
RSVP: olabowale, David, KunleOshob, N_nwankwo, noetic, toneyb, muhsin, abuzola, uplawal, olaadegbu

6. tithing and church fraud.: The biblical position on tithe is subject to debates and analyses. also the extravagant lifestyle of our "pastors" oyedepo, oyakilome, adeboye et all
RSVP: kunleoshob, pilgrim, olaadegbu, tudor . . . . . . . . . . . .

7. The way to heaven: Nairaland has brought a new group of persons who refuse to acknowledge the divinity of Jesus, or His ontology. . . .neither do they follow His explicit teachings. . .  .yet they claim that they are entitled to get to Jesus heaven by a function of their imagination. their most potent weapon is to call opposer's dogmatic.
RSVP: kunleOshob, PastorAio, Deepsight, noetic, David, Jesoul, M-nwankwo, . . . . . . . ,  .

8. african religions: It is only on nairaland that u will see people claim Jesus is black and that ifa and orunmila are part of xtianity
RSVP: no2atheism, pastorAio,
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by muhsin(m): 4:47pm On Dec 05, 2009
Damned rubbish! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by KunleOshob(m): 5:25pm On Dec 05, 2009
noetic15:

5. Divinity of Jesus: apart from the plagiarism of islam and the frauds of allah. . .the divinity of Jesus is the most explosive topic especially between muslims and xtians.
RSVP: olabowale, David, KunleOshob, N_nwankwo, noetic, toneyb, muhsin, abuzola, uplawal, olaadegbu

Contrary to how you and some nairalanders try to mis-represent me, i have no doubt what so ever about the divinity of Jesus however i am not from the trinity school of thought that preaches three in one God or that Jesus is co-equal to his father as this heresy is very contrary to the position of the bible on who christ is. For the purpose of clarity i would restate my positon. Jesus being the son of God is also a God, however God almighty who is his father is greater than him and he is also answerable to God.
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by Nobody: 5:40pm On Dec 05, 2009
@kunle

why are u so rigid on your position on the trinity despite all the evidences adduced from the scriptures.Jesus was clearly stated to be God in so many occassions in the bible,also the concept of the trinity was explicitly taught by the apostolic fathers who were privileged to hear from the very mopuths of the apostles.
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by Tudor6(f): 6:10pm On Dec 05, 2009
It's really difficult to choose i'd go for topics on God, Evolution, and Tithes. . . Infact they all are explosive topics except when a raving racist lunatic comes blabbing jesus was a black man.
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by KunleOshob(m): 6:18pm On Dec 05, 2009
chukwudi44:

@kunle

why are u so rigid on your position on the trinity despite all the evidences adduced from the scriptures.Jesus was clearly stated to be God in so many occassions in the bible,also the concept of the trinity was explicitly taught by the apostolic fathers who were privileged to hear from the very mopuths of the apostles.
My brother trinity is not biblical and all the so called "evidences" that support it in the bible are very subjective and in my opinion are actually forced or manipulated to support it. The weight of evidence in the bible suggests that Jesus and God the father are two seperate entities and God the Father is superior to Jesus.
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by IbrahimB: 6:34pm On Dec 05, 2009
1. allah? Allah: any attempt by anyone to discuss the origin of allah, his idolic past, wife and three kids is usually met with a ban and the thread locked.
certain people are uncomfortable with discussing or exposing the true origins of allah.

I understand this statement was driven by sheer hatred than anything.

My question: who is Allah or what is the origin of allah? I want you to reference the Qur'an, Hadith and authentic history.

You made a statement and the onus of proof and explanation is on you. This is a challenge.
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by IbrahimB: 6:42pm On Dec 05, 2009
My brother trinity is not biblical and all the so called "evidences" that support it in the bible are very subjective and in my opinion are actually forced or manipulated to support it. The weight of evidence in the bible suggests that Jesus and God the father are two seperate entities and God the Father is superior to Jesus.

A sensible voice for once!

If there are evidences in the bible that claim Jesus is God, they are far outweighed by those that show that he is not God.

Is it any surprise that we have unitarian christians today?
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by theseeker2: 8:54pm On Dec 05, 2009
lousy thread. What more does one expect from noetic
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by noetic15(m): 9:39pm On Dec 05, 2009
KunleOshob:

Contrary to how you and some nairalanders try to mis-represent me, i have no doubt what so ever about the divinity of Jesus however i am not from the trinity school of thought that preaches three in one God or that Jesus is co-equal to his father as this heresy is very contrary to the position of the bible on who christ is. For the purpose of clarity i would restate my positon. Jesus being the son of God is also a God, however God almighty who is his father is greater than him and he is also answerable to God.

so how many Gods exist and what is their relationship?
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by Horus(m): 10:26pm On Dec 05, 2009
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by mamagee3(f): 10:38pm On Dec 05, 2009
I'm yet to see one. tongue
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by KunleOshob(m): 9:32am On Dec 06, 2009
noetic15:

so how many Gods exist and what is their relationship?

The bible acknowledges the existence of other gods and that is why God said we should not worship any other gods besides him. In effect there are lesser gods but we have only one God almighty who is the creator God who is the only one worthy of worship. In my opinion the lesser gods could be the fallen angels who appeared to ancient men after the fall. Ancient men desrcibed anybody that had supernatural attributes has god. That perhaps accounts for the so many gods we have in different cultures all over the world. Another plausible theory is the extra-terrestrial gods theory. This theory suggests that Aliens visited the earth in the distant past and lived amongst men as gods[genesis 6:1-6 supports this theory]. This aliens were resident in different commuities all over the world and were seen as gods by people. The gods of various cultures were probably the the extra terrestrials they came in contact with, but then again this is an unconfirmed theory.
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by slimfit4(m): 12:51pm On Dec 06, 2009
@kunle

I will like to talk to you one on one maybe via yahoo messenger on your above post, Do you think you can drop me your email,

Peace,
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by noetic15(m): 4:02pm On Dec 06, 2009
KunleOshob:

The bible acknowledges he existence of other god and that is why God said we should not worship any other god besides him. In effect there are lesser gods but we have only one God almighty who is the creator God who is the only one worthy of worship. In my opinion the lesser gods could be the fallen angels who appeared to ancient men after the fall. Ancient men desrcibed anybody that had supernatural attributes has god. That perhaps accounts for the so many gods we have in different cultures all over the world. Another plausible theory is the extra-terrestrial gods theory. This theory suggests that Aliens visited the earth in the distant past and lived amongst men as gods[genesis 6:1-6 supports this theory]. This aliens were resident in different commuities all over the world and were seen as gods by people. The gods of various cultures were probably the the extra terrestrials they came in contact with, but then again this is an unconfirmed theory.

This is evasive.

The discussion is based primarily on the divinity of Jesus. . . .and His subsequent relationship with God almighty. if u see my last post, I said "Gods" and not "gods".
you claimed that Jesus is inferior to the almighty God. . . . . . . does this not contradict the claims of Jesus Himself, that He is both Alpha and Omega? This implies that all other things/beings are in-between. How then do u explain a greater God who is neither alpha or omega?
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by Nobody: 4:44pm On Dec 06, 2009
Jjohn14 :8-13
8Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the
Father
. That is all we need.”
9Jesus answered, “Philip, I have been with
you for a long time. So you should know me.
Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father
too. So why do you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
10Don’t you believe that I am in the Father
and the Father is in me?
The things I have told
you don’t come from me. The Father lives in
me, and he is doing his own work. 11Believe
me when I say that I am in the Father and
the Father is in me. Or believe because of the
miracles* I have done.

I think the boldened part says it all the father and the son are one as clearly statedby Jesus ,there should be no attempt to seperate the two
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by viaro: 4:48pm On Dec 06, 2009
KunleOshob:

For the purpose of clarity i would restate my positon. Jesus being the son of God is also a God, however God almighty who is his father is greater than him and he is also answerable to God.

This is not helpful. If you are making Jesus out to be "a God", would that not be supposing more than one God in your own theology? This is even more skewed than the Trinity that you are averse to.
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by theseeker2: 5:10pm On Dec 06, 2009
KunleOshob:

No matter how hard you or the whole of christendom try you will never be able to reconcile your beliefs.
How can jesus be God and also be subject to another God, when one of the attributes of God is that He is subject to no one and all is subject to Him
You will not have to bother with reconcilling jesus divinty and the unequivocal unity of the only true God if you simply accept his rightful place (as a mighty prophet) as given in the Quran
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by viaro: 5:16pm On Dec 06, 2009
I see this thread already showing itself for which topic is the most debated this year. Hehe.

the_seeker:

You will not have to bother with reconcilling jesus divinty and the unequivocal unity of the only true God if you simply accept his rightful place (as a mighty prophet) as given in the Quran

Please go and take your back seat and eat your pop corn. It is no secret that Islam indicates that Allah was subject to Muhammad in many inferences. No matter how hard you try, you can't bring your quran to tell anyone about Jesus when Muslims don't even know what The Gospel is. Where is allah's injil - lost, no?
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by whoisallah: 5:30pm On Dec 06, 2009
viaro:

I see this thread already showing itself for which topic is the most debated this year. Hehe.

Please go and take your back seat and eat your pop corn. It is no secret that Islam indicates that Allah was subject to Muhammad in many inferences. No matter how hard you try, you can't bring your quran to tell anyone about Jesus when Muslims don't even know what The Gospel is. Where is allah's injil - lost, no?

GBAM
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by Nobody: 5:40pm On Dec 06, 2009
muslims keep telling us the original bible was corrupted, ironically the biblical scrolls discovered at the cave in egypt happens to be the same with the christian and jewish scripturestoday

Considering the claim that the corruption of the scriptures occured after the death of the Jesus,the fact remains that the dead sea scrolls were kept centuries before the birth of Jesus.

Obviously someone went and plagiarised the bible and claim an angel has revealed the koran to him.
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by KunleOshob(m): 6:25pm On Dec 06, 2009
viaro:

This is not helpful. If you are making Jesus out to be "a God", would that not be supposing more than one God in your own theology? This is even more skewed than the Trinity that you are averse to.

The bible never claimed that there is only one god. What we are told is that only God almighty[the creator] is worthy of worship. To me as a christian Jesus is not the God i worship, he is an intermediary btw us and God. The bible is very clear on this. Jesus role is that of an intermediary and his role is to reconcile man to God. It was mere men like us in their overzealouness that decided to equate Jesus to his father, this i believe is heretic.
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by KunleOshob(m): 6:29pm On Dec 06, 2009
slim-fit:

@kunle

I will like to talk to you one on one maybe via yahoo messenger on your above post, Do you think you can drop me your email,

Peace,
unclekuns@yahoo.com
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by Abuzola11(m): 6:30pm On Dec 06, 2009
Jesus is a fraud
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by viaro: 6:47pm On Dec 06, 2009
KunleOshob:

The bible never claimed that there is only one god. What we are told is that only God almighty[the creator] is worthy of worship.

No one here is gulled by this repetitive non-starter - we all know the difference the Bible states between God and gods.

The question is how you make Jesus 'a God' as apart from 'God' - that is what makes many people here suppose you're clapping around your own heresy.

Is that 'a God' the same as 'God'? If not, are you not preaching more than one 'God' in your theology?
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by Nobody: 6:51pm On Dec 06, 2009
noetic15:

3. Evolution v Creationism: Many resident atheists worship the god of evolution. . .as it is their only alternative to creationsm. yet evolution does not conform to the basic definition of science. the scientific nature of evolution cannot be established. the ignorant claim that creationism relies on faith cannot stand the test of intellectual scrutiny, the many scientific notions and evidences that easily support creationism are discarded by the worshippers of evolution.
Anytime a thread is opened on evolution or creationism . . . ,  .then its a nairaland religion war. This topic has the ability to expose the ignorance of many "alleged scientists"
RSVP: David, KAG, huxley, tudor, toneyb, mazaje, noetic, duduspace, krayola, wirinet, olaadegbu. . . . . .  , 

for me this was the topic of the year followed by threads on the existence or not of God. The issue of Christ's color is just a comedy. grin
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by KunleOshob(m): 6:54pm On Dec 06, 2009
@Viaro
As i said earlier only the God almighty is worthy of worship and Jesus is the intercessor between God and man. My using a capital G to depict Jesus as a God is simply to express that he is superior to all the lesser gods and not to equate him to the almighty God.
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by viaro: 7:28pm On Dec 06, 2009
KunleOshob:

@Viaro
As i said earlier only the God almighty is worthy of worship and Jesus is the intercessor between God and man. My using a capital G to depict Jesus as a God is simply to express that he is superior to all the lesser gods and not to equate him to the almighty God.

Sir, note:

A              ||            B

'a God'           ||      'God'

Is A     =       B?

If A is not B, then A and B are more than one 'God'.
           Which then means you're preaching two 'Gods' ('a God' and 'God')

What are you on about?
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by noetic15(m): 11:33pm On Dec 06, 2009
kunle has conviniently ignored my posers. . . . . . a simple "I Dont know" from him would have been polite cheesy
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by KunleOshob(m): 9:07am On Dec 07, 2009
viaro:

Sir, note:

'a God' || 'God'

Is A = B?

If A is not B, then A and B are more than one 'God'.
Which then means you're preaching two 'Gods' ('a God' and [i]'God'[/i
Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by PastorAIO: 9:26am On Dec 07, 2009
What is the definition of a God?

There are many spirit beings. Is it when they are worshipped that they become Gods?

In that case the definition of God would be a being that is worshipped. Does this worshipped being have to be a spirit or can it be a physical human?

If it cannot be human then we can further define a God to mean a Spirit being that is worshipped, however if it can be human then a God is just a being, physical or spiritual, that is worshipped.

But what if some people worshipped a being not worthy of worship, does that make it a God? The definition runs into difficulties here.

Perhaps another definition such as:
A being that creates. Thus the creator of the universe would be termed God. Any other being that autonomously determines events in the world would be termed a God too. For example if a house wouldn't exist unless I willed it then I am a God because I created the house. In other words, a God is a being without which something else wouldn't exist.
Any being without which I couldn't exist would be my God. Basically any being that can exercise an autonomous will is a God. This would seem to accomodate the bible better, because the bible does talk about there being many Gods even telling human beings that 'ye are Gods'. What is it about human beings that make them Gods?

In short, I think that the word God is one of those words that people just bandy about without any real grasp of what they are talking about when they say God.

What is a God? What makes a being a God? Please I need some definitions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religion: Most Controversial Topic Of The Year 2009 by KunleOshob(m): 9:47am On Dec 07, 2009
noetic15:

kunle has conviniently ignored my posers. . . . . . a simple "I Dont know" from him would have been polite cheesy
I am not ignoring your post it is just that it lacks substance, the fact that Jesus called himself the Alpha and Omega does not make him God neither does it make him equal to God. you have to understand the context within which Jesus was making that statement. The earth is Jesus' inheritance from God so as far as the earth is concerned he is but in the kingdom of God he is his right hand man. You guys get easily confused about the true personallity of Jesus and a such describe him as God almighty were as the bible describes him as the one who radiate's God's glory and has God's character. The bible NEVER for once called him God almighty.

Hebrews 1:3:
3 The Son radiates God’s own glory and expresses the very character of God, and he sustains everything by the mighty power of his command. When he had cleansed us from our sins, he sat down in the place of honor at the right hand of the majestic God in heaven.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

COZA Rape Scandal: Pastor, Fatoyinbo Finally Bows To Pressure, Steps Down / Why It's Wrong For Christians To Eat Sallah Food / Revelation Of Hell By 7 Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.