Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,586 members, 7,820,113 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? (3152 Views)

The Reality Of The First Born In Every Nigerian Family / Second Born Children Are More Rebellious And Prone To Criminal Act / This Why First-born Children Are Smarter Than Their Siblings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Feb 10, 2017
First-born children are more intelligent than their siblings because they receive more mental stimulation in their early years, new research has shown.
Confirming the suspicions of eldest brothers and sisters everywhere, University of Edinburgh economists found first-borns achieve higher IQ test scores from as young as one year old.
The researchers, collaborating with a team from from Sydney University, examined data from 5,000 children who were given reading and picture vocabulary tests every two years.

By analysing the results in relation to parental behaviour, they found first-borns were given more support with tasks that involve thinking, and subsequently scored better on the tests.
The differences in test scores increased slightly with age, according to the study published in the
Journal of Human Resources, which looked at children’s mental progress from pre-birth to age 14.
All children were found to receive the same level of emotional support, but parents appeared to spend less time on brain-stimulating activities with their younger children, took part in fewer activities with them such as reading , crafts and music.

Parents were also more likely to take increased risks, such as smoking more, after the birth of their second child.
Dr Ana Nuevo-Chiquero, who led the research, said the results could be used to explain differences in achievement observed in education and employment later in life.
Previous studies have shown first-borns to be more successful and ambitious. Researchers at the University of Essex found that within a family, first-borns are 16 per cent more likely to pursue higher education than their younger siblings.

However, first-borns are also more likely to be short-sighted than their younger counterparts and are 20 per cent more likely to have severe myopia.
This could also be because of the length of time parents dedicate to their education, according to research published in the journal Jama Ophthalmology .
The University of Edinburgh and Sydney University study used data collected by the US Bureau of Labour Statistics, but experts have warned any results are generalities, which may or may not translate to individual families.

Source : http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/first-born-child-more-intelligent-smarter-siblings-younger-eldest-sibling-university-of-edinburgh-a7570606.html

1 Share

Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Feb 10, 2017
Its not always like that. I've seen first born that are outrightly unintelligent.

3 Likes

Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by marshalcarter: 3:21pm On Feb 10, 2017
I don see original olodo first born before undecided
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by Nobody: 8:42pm On Feb 10, 2017
Second born's are always more intelligent than first born's

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by Nobody: 7:58am On Feb 11, 2017
Lalasticlala , good morning
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by Chiebunigom: 8:34am On Feb 11, 2017
Not true. But most parents tend to dedicate their time in teaching their firstborns both academically and otherwise, than their other kids , with the belief that the firstborn child will mostly have attitudinal influence over other siblings.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by austinereds(m): 9:52am On Feb 11, 2017
liar liar.
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by futurism: 7:53am On Feb 12, 2017
ToriBlue:
Its not always like that. I've seen first born that are outrightly unintelligent.
I am smarter, much more intelligent than my 2 elder brothers and I am almost the last in the family. So people just bungle unfounded facts as if all fingers are equal.
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by Nobody: 4:22am On Feb 13, 2017
That's because second borns get their mental stimulation from the first born. It goes on like that to the last born.
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Apr 18, 2017
I don see confam olodo first born before cheesy

Me self, I be one embarassed

Lalasticlala come see something
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by megareal: 8:35pm On Apr 18, 2017
So untrue.
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by teemy(m): 9:53pm On Apr 18, 2017
worworgirl and muafrica2 are spot on. the younger's intellect is nourished by the elder one's care and gets the title of 'the cute one' as well. if parents are careless this could lead to same sex sibling rivalry right from childhood to adulthood.
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by makydebbie(f): 10:33pm On May 23, 2017
KissChrixx:
Lalasticlala , good morning
I doubt that's true.
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by Nobody: 10:40pm On May 23, 2017
makydebbie:
I doubt that's true.

Well, maybe

But, you do know that parents are stricter and more devoted when training their first-born children?

Wetin you find come here? tongue
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by makydebbie(f): 10:43pm On May 23, 2017
KissChrixx:

Well, maybe

But, you do know that parents are stricter and more devoted when training their first-born children?

Wetin you find come here? tongue
I even think they spoil the first born because he's their first but they get use to it with the second and the rest.
I cannot check your topics in peace again? tongue
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by makydebbie(f): 10:44pm On May 23, 2017
Kimbra... Pardon my amebo pls come first. lipsrsealed
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by Nobody: 10:50pm On May 23, 2017
makydebbie:
I even think they spoil the first born because he's their first but they get use to it with the second and the rest.
I cannot check your topics in peace again? tongue

Majorly, only people who had trouble conceiving do that, I think

No, you can't angry
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by makydebbie(f): 10:52pm On May 23, 2017
KissChrixx:

Majorly, only people who had trouble conceiving do that, I think

No, you can't angry
You're still vexing for me. Lemme shock you tongue
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by Nobody: 10:59pm On May 23, 2017
makydebbie:
You're still vexing for me. Lemme shock you tongue

Cool shock cheesy

Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by makydebbie(f): 11:01pm On May 23, 2017
KissChrixx:

Cool shock cheesy
Goodnight dear cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by Rukkydelta(f): 1:51pm On May 24, 2017
Last born's are more intelligent
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by Nobody: 5:26pm On May 24, 2017
makydebbie:
Kim.bra... Pardon my amebo pls come first. lipsrsealed
Lol, so this was where you mentioned me. grin

Good day, Maky.
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by Nobody: 5:29pm On May 24, 2017
A child's intelligence isn't based on whether it's the "First" or "Last" child. It just happens.
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by makydebbie(f): 5:30pm On May 24, 2017
kimbra:
Lol, so this was where you mentioned me. grin

Good day, Maky.
Yes oo grin

Glad you're back.
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by Nobody: 5:32pm On May 24, 2017
makydebbie:
Yes oo grin

Glad you're back.
Not really, my comments are actually restricted only on romance section. I guess it's Antispam boot, will be free by 10pm. grin
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by makydebbie(f): 5:36pm On May 24, 2017
kimbra:
Not really, my comments are actually restricted only on romance section. I guess it's Antispam boot, will be free by 10pm. grin
You can send a pm to Do"minique. She's not a snub tho. But since it'll soon be 10pm, you can wait. You're based at lagos?
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by Nobody: 5:38pm On May 24, 2017
makydebbie:
You can send a pm to Do"minique. She's not a snub tho. But since it'll soon be 10pm, you can wait. You're based at lagos?
I don't want to bother anyone with that. PH.
Re: Are First-born Children Truly More Intelligent Than Their Siblings? by makydebbie(f): 5:40pm On May 24, 2017
kimbra:
I don't want to bother anyone with that. PH.
Okay. Sha no goan vex and Chop ban again. angry

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Baby Sleeping Positions / His Mom is A WITCH / Light Skin Black Women Discriminating Against Dark Skinned Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.