Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,680 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

Who Owns The Matrimonial Home, The Husband Or The Wife? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Owns The Matrimonial Home, The Husband Or The Wife? (2315 Views)

How Can I Stop My Ex From Visiting My Matrimonial Home? / My Wife Abandoned Her Matrimonial Home / "How My Friend Tried To Destroy My Matrimonial Home" - Woman Reveals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Owns The Matrimonial Home, The Husband Or The Wife? by Chizgold: 5:14pm On Feb 11, 2017
Have you ever made a statement such as:

“If a man doesn’t want to continue with the marriage, he should not beat his wife, he should send her back to her father” or “Instead of beating her, send her back to her father’s house”

If you had, then you are wrong, and I will explain why. Before I do that, I want you to consider the following alternative reasoning:

“If the woman doesn’t want the marriage anymore, she should send him back to his mother”

Of course, such statement would be ridiculous. But that is also how ridiculous it is when you think you should send the woman back to her father’s house.

This is the law: When a man and woman get married and they begin to live together, the place they live together is called their matrimonial home. That is where they live as husband and wife. The husband is not a landlord of the wife and the wife is not a tenant of the husband. Neither is landlord nor tenant. They are husband and wife and the place is their matrimonial home. It does not matter whether the man built the house before he married the woman. It is their matrimonial home.

Therefore, none of them can send the other out of their matrimonial home. It is the court and the court alone that will determine who stays and who leaves. Even if you built the house way before you married her, you cannot ask her to leave. And you cannot think of sending her back to her father. That is so so stupid and it is totally against the law. She is not a child. Your wife is not a child. So, you cannot send her back to anybody. She does not belong to her father’s house. She has left that house and established her own house with you. And that is her home.

Now, what will you do if you are fed up with your wife? Simple: pack your bag and leave. The court will eventually determine who should stay in the matrimonial home and who should go. Alternatively, if you are wise and rich, you call your wife and say:

“I have got an alternative place for you. It is comfortable and well-located as this one. I think I should stay here while you move over to the other house because I have got my office here and it will cost me a lot more to move than it will cost you to move.”

If she wants, she will agree. Otherwise, she has the right to say no. In that case, you should leave and wait for the court to direct her to move into the alternative home.

Any idea that the man can tell his wife to leave their matrimonial home is stupid and unlawful. As far as living in that house is concerned, the man has no greater right than the woman. Now, don’t get me wrong. The house may actually be owned exclusively by the husband if he had that house before he married you. That is his house. The house will not suddenly become the wife’s house. The wife may

Credit: http://ikengachronicles.com/who-owns-the-matrimonial-homethe-husband-or-the-wife-by-emeka-ugwuonye/

1 Share

Re: Who Owns The Matrimonial Home, The Husband Or The Wife? by luckyz4rea(m): 5:47pm On Feb 11, 2017
GOD!
Re: Who Owns The Matrimonial Home, The Husband Or The Wife? by crackhaus: 5:54pm On Feb 11, 2017
Chizgold:
Have you ever made a statement such as:

“If a man doesn’t want to continue with the marriage, he should not beat his wife, he should send her back to her father” or “Instead of beating her, send her back to her father’s house”

If you had, then you are wrong, and I will explain why. Before I do that, I want you to consider the following alternative reasoning:

“If the woman doesn’t want the marriage anymore, she should send him back to his mother”

Of course, such statement would be ridiculous. But that is also how ridiculous it is when you think you should send the woman back to her father’s house.

This is the law: When a man and woman get married and they begin to live together, the place they live together is called their matrimonial home. That is where they live as husband and wife. The husband is not a landlord of the wife and the wife is not a tenant of the husband. Neither is landlord nor tenant. They are husband and wife and the place is their matrimonial home. It does not matter whether the man built the house before he married the woman. It is their matrimonial home.

Therefore, none of them can send the other out of their matrimonial home. It is the court and the court alone that will determine who stays and who leaves. Even if you built the house way before you married her, you cannot ask her to leave. And you cannot think of sending her back to her father. That is so so stupid and it is totally against the law. She is not a child. Your wife is not a child. So, you cannot send her back to anybody. She does not belong to her father’s house. She has left that house and established her own house with you. And that is her home.

Now, what will you do if you are fed up with your wife? Simple: pack your bag and leave. The court will eventually determine who should stay in the matrimonial home and who should go. Alternatively, if you are wise and rich, you call your wife and say:

“I have got an alternative place for you. It is comfortable and well-located as this one. I think I should stay here while you move over to the other house because I have got my office here and it will cost me a lot more to move than it will cost you to move.”

If she wants, she will agree. Otherwise, she has the right to say no. In that case, you should leave and wait for the court to direct her to move into the alternative home.

Any idea that the man can tell his wife to leave their matrimonial home is stupid and unlawful. As far as living in that house is concerned, the man has no greater right than the woman. Now, don’t get me wrong. The house may actually be owned exclusively by the husband if he had that house before he married you. That is his house. The house will not suddenly become the wife’s house.
Na your own you dey talk

3 Likes

Re: Who Owns The Matrimonial Home, The Husband Or The Wife? by lilmax(m): 6:39pm On Feb 11, 2017
I don't know if I should laugh or cry grin

anyways there's freedom of speech

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Matrimonial Home, The Husband Or The Wife? by Timbuktuo: 10:44am On Feb 12, 2017
The person/people who pay/paid for the house own the house. If a woman doesn't want to be thrown out or sent back to her parents', she better behave; assuming she hasn't contributed to house payments, of course.

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Matrimonial Home, The Husband Or The Wife? by WomanOfRace(f): 11:56am On Feb 12, 2017
After God, the woman, the man is a part timer. He is the head of the family but the woman runs the home.
Re: Who Owns The Matrimonial Home, The Husband Or The Wife? by Acidosis(m): 4:08pm On Feb 12, 2017
WomanOfRace:
After God, the woman, the man is a part timer. He is the head of the family but the woman runs the home.

After God, the woman?

and the man is the head of the family?

You're confused.

3 Likes

Re: Who Owns The Matrimonial Home, The Husband Or The Wife? by WomanOfRace(f): 12:52pm On Feb 14, 2017
Acidosis:

After God, the woman?

and the man is the head of the family?

You're confused.

Bro, you are the confused o... in running a home. You didn't see where i mentioned the man is the head of the family while the woman takes care of home?
hmmn
Re: Who Owns The Matrimonial Home, The Husband Or The Wife? by YourCoffin: 7:10pm On Feb 14, 2017
Op the alternative place you're talking about is her father's house. At least she still doesn't have to pay rent. Men are considerate like that ...
Re: Who Owns The Matrimonial Home, The Husband Or The Wife? by Richy4(m): 8:08pm On Feb 14, 2017
Hmmm!!!!The whole write up reeks of western culture....

<<<I just have a question here...So a man that inherited an ancestral home will vacate the home that they have been living for decades for the wife and look an alternative living arrangement if they do not want to live together anymore because according to you it's their "matrimonial home"?

<<<Some of the things you guys post on African website are not really African ways of life...It might have been working for the westerners because that was their culture and ways of life...Certain law can uphold in Britain for example but will not hold water in any other nation
Re: Who Owns The Matrimonial Home, The Husband Or The Wife? by Chizgold: 4:38pm On Feb 15, 2017
Even in the so called western culture the woman can not take an inherited property because it not part of a community property... Any property before marriage is considered personal property, while everything acquired during marriage is considered as community property which will be shared 50/50

Richy4:

<<<I just have a question here...So a man that inherited an ancestral home will vacate the home that they have been living for decades for the wife and look an alternative living arrangement if they do not want to live together anymore because according to you it's their "matrimonial home"?

<<<Some of the things you guys post on African website are not really African ways of life...It might have been working for the westerners because that was their culture and ways of life...Certain law can uphold in Britain for example but will not hold water in any other nation
Re: Who Owns The Matrimonial Home, The Husband Or The Wife? by cococandy(f): 2:25am On Feb 16, 2017
Gifts and inheritance aren't part of community property in marriage.
They belong in the family from where they came or to the person to whom they were given.

Otherwise every other thing is community property to be shared 50/50 or in whatever ratio is deemed fair by the court depending on responsibility,past sacrifices and earning power of each partner (other factors may apply too)

Mostly Fair. Elegant. 21st century humanity.
None of the archaic, patriarchal, ego-satisfying BS that doesn't consider .

Plain sensible if you think about it.

Richy4:

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Matrimonial Home, The Husband Or The Wife? by Acidosis(m): 6:11am On Feb 16, 2017
WomanOfRace:

Bro, you are the confused o... in running a home. You didn't see where i mentioned the man is the head of the family while the woman takes care of home?
hmmn

Your arrangement ruined it all.

If you truly believe in God and His creation, you should know that the woman was created from a man's rib, so how can you make that ridiculous statement? Better don't say such in your Church...

After God, the man. In fact, the man is made a god over his household.
A woman is a helpmate... a man is not a part timer as you've asserted. God did not make man a part-timer of his own home.

Stop reading from ridiculous and pathetic authors who lie against God to buttress useless points.

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Matrimonial Home, The Husband Or The Wife? by Richy4(m): 6:57am On Feb 16, 2017
Chizgold:
Even in the so called western culture the woman can not take an inherited property because it not part of a community property... Any property before marriage is considered personal property, while everything acquired during marriage is considered as community property which will be shared 50/50

thanks for clarifying the stuff......So if the couple are staying on an inherited property as a couple, is it safe to say, "Instead of beating her, send her back to her father’s house" since she wasn't gonna be inheriting that? grin
Re: Who Owns The Matrimonial Home, The Husband Or The Wife? by Richy4(m): 7:23am On Feb 16, 2017
cococandy:
Gifts and inheritance aren't part of community property in marriage.
They belong in the family from where they came or to the person to whom they were given.

Otherwise every other thing is community property to be shared 50/50 or in whatever ratio is deemed fair by the court depending on responsibility,past sacrifices and earning power of each partner (other factors may apply too)

Mostly Fair. Elegant. 21st century humanity.
None of the archaic, patriarchal, ego-satisfying BS that doesn't consider .

Plain sensible if you think about it.

Thanks......I only know a bit more about corporate laws because it was a borrowed course while studying Finance....This marriage thing...Community property sharing...who gets what not is always a weak point of discussion on my part..Though I understand that sending a woman away empty handed who must have put a lot into the relationship was an unfair practice... Thanks again and it's always a pleasure seeing your post..Sometimes wink

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

"Washing Machine Should Be Banned In Nigeria Because It's Making Women Lazy"-man / Where Is The Best Place In Nigeria To Relocate to From Abroad / Woman Delivers Seven Babies In 11 Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.