Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,340 members, 7,819,200 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:39 PM

Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption (1641 Views)

Chris Oyakhilome: Churches Are Not Places Of Infection But Places Of Blessings / Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? / How Nigerian Churches Are Taking Advantage Of Technology To Make Global Impact (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by Marxxx: 9:36am On Feb 12, 2017
I know this topic looks highly contestable but I will present some facts and perhaps do one or two comparisons.

I am a conservative roman catholic by faith but due to ill health, I have been coerced to attend services, deliverance and counselling sessions in numerous pentecostal churches. No thanks to my sibling. I have written, reviewed and documented my observations over these periods and I will share some as well as other generic experiences.

Let me start with the generic. At the workplace when you see a trainee or an intern who grossly underperforms you begin to ponder how did he/she got here. Looking at the rigorous recruitment exercise, definitely you know "Favouritism" is at work. Probe: which senior partner/partner/senior manager recommended or approved his / her appointment? If they are not related by kin (seldom happens), Often-times they are related by faith.

Fact to back-up the paragraph above. I was present in a pentecostal church when the senior pastor announced that his loving daughter has just graduated. The congregation cheered and some people stood up promising her a job immediately. There was this loud shout and more people stood up promising..."Marxwell can you see God's favour at work" my sister whispered. I said to myself so all these people promising here and there have vacant positions at their workplace and this is the best place to conduct the recruitment exercise? Lord have mercy. So you over there screaming about "connections" and "Man know Man" such act begins in your church. Talk to your church.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by Marxxx: 9:58am On Feb 12, 2017
That is corruption brewed in the house of God.

As a Catholic I do not see anything wrong in being poor. I will criticise some of the Nigerian Catholic clergy at this point. I have worshipped in Ireland, Vatican City and Brazil (these are strong catholic grounds) the priests in these countries do not live the flamboyant lifestyle observed here in Nigeria. There is nothing wrong in being poor, and as a staunch catholic, material prosperity useless. The pentecostal preaches that it is wrong to be poor. You are poor because you do not pay tithe, you are poor because you do not have the spirit of God working in you.
Corruption begins in the mind. Every Sunday the preacher states I have no right to be poor and then your heart begins to conceive all sort of ideas just to get rich and then show of in church.
To back up the paragraph above a pastor was transferred from a branch to another branch because the province/zone/district believed he underperformed. The performance was not based on the number of new members nor the number of new converts but the returns to the headquarters from that branch was not substantial taking cognisance that the location of the branch was strategic and a high brow area...perhaps they felt he was not tailoring his preachment to the right source. That is corruption ......to be contd

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by Marxxx: 10:55am On Feb 12, 2017
During a Sunday service in a particular pentecostal church, it was offering time and the ushers were distributing envelopes so that we can conceal the amount we want to offer. All of a sudden, the pastor said do not put your money in the envelope, raise it up to the heavens...I said to my sister "I won't do that". That is public display and I won't subscribe to it. Since the envelopes were retrieved I folded the 5usd note properly.
Some of these acts have lead to a strong desire for wealth that people come up with strange ideas just to make money.

Some time ago , I represented my boss in a meeting. The company wanted to restructure her operations and probably downsize. Part of the restructuring process was to outsource an entire department. We have done the analysis and all the projections were quite good. The MD of a particular outsourcing firm brought his proposal and I couldn't believe my eyes. The budget was far below what the company had agreed to pay. This automatically means that the staffers that will be recruited by this firm will see hell. Is a capitalist world, and he got it. I wanted to ask where did that beast came from? Just the I heard someone calling him a pastor. This same man will go to the pulpit to testify. You did not think about the working condition of your staffers. You make them suffer. That is not being smart, it is an idea from a corrupted mind. One CEO was hailed on the media recently for her earnings. A pastor too...you are all busy hailing her earnings but you are not looking down (hard work! scoffs). I wish you get to know your CEO pastors closely. I am not forgetting pst. Erastus...Not forgetting a branch youth pastor that was fired by MTN for fraud. Not forgetting those in court over commission dispute emanating from the purchase of a property for the church. "You must be rich" sermon breeds corruption... I heard some churches even preached ponzi schemes on her pulpit. I don't even know what else to think but if you are not treated well at your place of work you may talk to your church...if they get it right, other sectors will get it right...

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by Nobody: 11:00am On Feb 12, 2017
Lol. lipsrsealed
Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by stonemasonn: 11:02am On Feb 12, 2017
Since ancient times, our God have had so many attributes depending on the situation of his followers at a particular time. God was referred to as God of the wilderness, then warrior God battles then, God of fertility and harvest, then God of all heavenly host and cosmos etc....
Now we're in times where the gap between rich and poor is very wide in a capitalist world. We need a God of wealth and prosperity.
So anyhow way make your wealth so far as it doesn't lead you to big trouble then it is the will of God hallelujah.
Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by Marxxx: 11:56am On Feb 12, 2017
I am not preaching laziness. I am not saying you should not aspire to be great or wealthy. All am saying is in your thought process be human be fair and be just. I have a penchant for expensive items but I still have it at the back of my mind that it is all vanity. I don't have to make you miserable or sacrifice my integrity for me to own a 50musd mansion.

As a Catholic I do not pay tithe. Catholics do not pay tithe. If your priest instructs you to pay tithe tell him catholics do no pay tithe neither are we against the payment of tithe. I was driving a new car some time ago and I got dizzy I didn't know what happened but when I got concious I had smashed the car in front. When my sister told her friend I had an accident with the new car her response was "does your brother pay tithe"? I called her a slowpoke. So people who pay tithe are exempted from the afflictions of life?
The Catholic Church is about the richest and most influential Christian denomination yet they prosper they are at vanguard of rural evangelism. They have well furnished places of worship. These are things the church have achieved through fellowship, donations and gifts. My parish don't pay tithe and I am yet to see a hungry catholic priest. In Rome there are missionary priest who own nothing.

I do not believe in tithing but whenever my sister insists I pay, I transfer the money to her account and she writes the cheque. I observed at the back of the envelope she still writes her name. The smile on her face when tithers are called could generate enough Megawatts to power West Africa. If you are a good tither the pastor knows you closely. For those who do not have money to pay tithe I presume they will sit back and devise any means just to be in the league of tithe payers. A pastor once said "babies are still on 10% while we have moved far"... You put all your January earnings (first fruit) in the box and you vent the frustration on your colleagues at work. You see pastor dishing out unreasonable targets...Men Like Bunmi Oni killed a once prosperous Organisation. But in his church he is a giant. Bad policies at your place of work to enrich yourself is also corruption. At a time the former corporate affairs Manager (name witheld)of that same organisation a catholic like me was dishing out millions in every church event he attended and I was like hey God of mercy. Today Cadbury Nigeria is a shadow of herself. Yes the church business is thriving.

Why are my pentecostal brothers obsessed with the desire for wealth and splendour? You have the largest auditorium but God is not interested in Architecture. As Christians if your flamboyant display of wealth leads others into sin you are also culpable.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by chiedu7: 11:58am On Feb 12, 2017
OP there is nowhere as corrupt as the Vatican.
They even kill themselves and launder money for the mafia.

Google God's Banker

2 Likes

Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by Marxxx: 12:16pm On Feb 12, 2017
Let me not talk about dressing and other anti social behaviour although it is not a trivial issue but I will reserve my opinion. I still do not see reason(s) why I will be in church and I will first be entertained by a comedian. "Ministry of Comedy"...neither have I been able to comprehend the motives of a pastor begging the congregation because he felt the guest speaker who preached was too hard on us.

All our earthly possessions will be inherited by others is not worth dying for...At this point late Deinde ferandez comes to mind. The church should stop chasing shadows. Please tell your pastor(s) to take a break on prosperity and preach salvation, kindness, mercy, forgiveness and the fear of God. Prosperity on earth is vain and should not be Base on which we build our faith. Today there are so called "Inspirational Speakers" who are pastors...Durotoye is a pastor...lol...I am not mocking anyone but it is crystal clear that most pentecostal churches have missed the basic point....Salvation...

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by Marxxx: 12:31pm On Feb 12, 2017
chiedu7:
OP there is nowhere as corrupt as the Vatican.
They even kill themselves and launder money for the mafia.

Google God's Banker
Funny! Calvi was responsible for his crime. Leave the vatican out of it. The vatican had already lost millions of dollars when the national bank collapsed and calvi was also indicted then. Yes Calvi was a friend of the Vatican and the good thing he did was to inform the vatican (largest share holder) that the bank was in distress and the vatican siphoned part of their money. During calvi's trial the vatican was never indicted. Yet the Vatican Agreed to pay heavy amount to some of the creditors of the bank. Is that not fair enough? As for the killings pls be more specific.
Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by Marxxx: 1:11pm On Feb 12, 2017
I still do not agree with the advertisement inundating the pentecostal churches. Someone (a random person) will walk to the pulpit and tell stories of how he acquired millions, how he got a fantastic job, some try to look humble but in all they enjoy the awe and attention. After that you are noticed hence everyone is desperate for a testimony. I wouldn't mind eating your left eye so that I can testify. That is how some get duped. I heard a woman scammed members of a congregation along lagos-ibadan express road some time ago. They believed she got a contract with an oil company and then she scammed the gullible ones. Things should be done quietly. That is why there is thanksgiving. If you are blessed go for thanksgiving and not dishing out the genesis of the whole event.
Some lifestyle aids corruption. Some preachement incites corruption. Some churches encourages corruption...I was in a church and immediately the pastor entered people were screaming...I asked a lady beside me why they were screaming she said the pastor's suit was marvellous and they are celebrating God in his life. "Suit" really? We are losing it...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by Nobody: 1:43pm On Feb 12, 2017
Marxxx:
I am not preaching laziness. I am not saying you should not aspire to be great or wealthy. All am saying is in your thought process be human be fair and be just. I have a penchant for expensive items but I still have it at the back of my mind that it is all vanity. I don't have to make you miserable or sacrifice my integrity for me to own a 50musd mansion.

As a Catholic I do not pay tithe. Catholics do not pay tithe. If your priest instructs you to pay tithe tell him catholics do no pay tithe neither are we against the payment of tithe. I was driving a new car some time ago and I got dizzy I didn't know what happened but when I got concious I had smashed the car in front. When my sister told her friend I had an accident with the new car her response was "does your brother pay tithe"? I called her a slowpoke. So people who pay tithe are exempted from the afflictions of life?
The Catholic Church is about the richest and most influential Christian denomination yet they prosper they are at vanguard of rural evangelism. They have well furnished places of worship. These are things the church have achieved through fellowship, donations and gifts. My parish don't pay tithe and I am yet to see a hungry catholic priest. In Rome there are missionary priest who own nothing.

I do not believe in tithing but whenever my sister insists I pay, I transfer the money to her account and she writes the cheque. I observed at the back of the envelope she still writes her name. The smile on her face when tithers are called could generate enough Megawatts to power West Africa. If you are a good tither the pastor knows you closely. For those who do not have money to pay tithe I presume they will sit back and devise any means just to be in the league of tithe payers. A pastor once said "babies are still on 10% while we have moved far"... You put all your January earnings (first fruit) in the box and you vent the frustration on your colleagues at work. You see pastor dishing out unreasonable targets...Men Like Bunmi Oni killed a once prosperous Organisation. But in his church he is a giant. Bad policies at your place of work to enrich yourself is also corruption. At a time the former corporate affairs Manager (name witheld)of that same organisation a catholic like me was dishing out millions in every church event he attended and I was like hey God of mercy. Today Cadbury Nigeria is a shadow of herself. Yes the church business is thriving.

Why are my pentecostal brothers obsessed with the desire for wealth and splendour? You have the largest auditorium but God is not interested in Architecture. As Christians if your flamboyant display of wealth leads others into sin you are also culpable.
That's not true .say your parish don't pay tithe because some Catholic parishes pay tithe
Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by Nobody: 1:44pm On Feb 12, 2017
Op there are many wrongs in Catholic so please just hold it there.
Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by Marxxx: 2:38pm On Feb 12, 2017
asuustrike2009:

That's not true .say your parish don't pay tithe because some Catholic parishes pay tithe
Are you a Catholic?
Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by Marxxx: 2:41pm On Feb 12, 2017
asuustrike2009:
Op there are many wrongs in Catholic so please just hold it there.
In as much as I will love you to educate me on the "many wrongs" I wouldn't want to argue about which denomination is good or bad. Just look at the topic, read the facts and state your observation.
Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by Diplomaticbeing(m): 2:47pm On Feb 12, 2017
In summary the OP said that people should strive to live life on principle rather than on expediency.

I concur.

2 Likes

Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by Nobody: 4:49pm On Feb 12, 2017
Marxxx:
Are you a Catholic?
I grew up in Catholic so I know what am saying although I may have forgotten many of their doctrines but not all Catholic parishes don't pay tithe
Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by Marxxx: 5:11pm On Feb 12, 2017
asuustrike2009:
I grew up in Catholic so I know what am saying although I may have forgotten many of their doctrines but not all Catholic parishes don't pay tithe
Do you still remember the six chief commandments of the church? If you did then no point wasting time and if you did not...you can consult the prayer book or Google it or do a little research on the six chief commandment. Most priest loves to enrich themselves so I am not surprised when they behave like pentecostal just to make money.
Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by Marxxx: 5:19pm On Feb 12, 2017
asuustrike2009:
So you are no longer a Catholic? Well...I could help you with a lot of things if you find your way back to the fold.
Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by Gerrard59(m): 10:42pm On Feb 12, 2017
Insightful and apt. Mr. Marxxx well done.

I was practically forced me to a church today (their selling point is miracles) and they were at intervals of 15-20 minutes asking for money, offerings, tithes and every financial whatever. I became worried, because honestly, the General Overseer didn't preach anything invaluable to me. The first 2 hours were used for dancing and financial induced merriment - pure waste of time. And they still later called for the main offering The same reason made me to stop attending another pentecostal church as at May 2016 (arguably the biggest in Nigeria). At most every minute, the pastor is asking for money, donations, offerings, tithes, buy this, buy that. I got pissed off and stop attending church for eight months. The financial aggression is getting out of hand and reduces one need for a spiritual place. Coincidentally, I began by attending Catholic and later Jehovah's Witness (I still have the latter at heart - no noise, forceful tithing, and grandiose) and acts such as these aren't found in the two aforementioned churches. Albeit, orthodox churches seems are trying to play catch-up.

However, I don't blame them as they are only filling a void. Economics postulates that "when there is demand, there is supply".
Truth is: There is nationwide suffering, joblessness, desperate need for marriage and fecundity, economic downturn and the pentecostal churches are only filling the void of offering hope - at a cost. The orthodox ones don't offer such services - at least not yet. Nigerians want fast fast solution/miracle.
Another thing, Nigerian churches are devoid of rationality. A man was called from the congregation and told he is jobless (he confirmed it), and after the GO prayed. He prophesied that he will get a job. How? He didn't explain. Unfortunately, I didn't meet the lad to ask him if he has written job tests, whether he has actually applied and where, his CV and formats, attended conferences, his interviews performances, what kind of jobs, qualifications etc. I have seen CVs here and offline and there are nothing to tweet home about. Your business will flourish. How? No business plan and concerted effort to re-strategise. Imagine a GO saying, after service, pregnant women should stay back so as to know their fasting timetable. Pregnant woman starve herself shocked shocked and there was a female professor in the congregation. shocked

Additionally, I agree to your earlier point that connections/networking (AKA man-know-man) can be gotten in the church. Which is why instead of staying at home, I resolve to start attending some - selectively. If the mountain doesn't come to Mohammed, Mohammed should go to the mountain. I advise those who don't to start attending, once again, selectively.

On a side note, I wish you quick and a worthwhile recovery.

2 Likes

Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by donnie(m): 8:35am On Feb 13, 2017
When you're influential, you are influential. Go siddon. angry
Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by CuteMorriz: 11:30am On Feb 14, 2017
No be today pentecostal begin fraud people if haf tayyyedd

2 Likes

Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by jonbellion(m): 11:40am On Feb 14, 2017
Where are the catholic haters

1 Like

Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by Nobody: 12:31pm On Feb 14, 2017
Marxxx:
So you are no longer a Catholic? Well...I could help you with a lot of things if you find your way back to the fold.
Hmmmm
Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by jashar(f): 4:44pm On Feb 17, 2017
hmmm....

True, there are a lot of wrong practices and doctrines in most Churches, but there is always a remnant.

My humble and personal opinion is for people to know God for themselves and not just rely on what Pastor said. If you're a sincere person, God would order your steps to the right place of worship that isn't contaminated by all these unrighteous acts we seem to hear about ever so often.

Also, it's not wise to cast aspirations about different churches, it may be a cliche, but let God judge those that name the name of the Lord with profane lips and hearts.

In the end, every man would give account of their stewardship.

Also, if anyone is a Christian and casts aspirations at another Christian, remember that the world may not understand the difference in denominations but would judge you all as Christians. smiley

We are all one body in Christ (talking about Christians now) so, even if we wanna correct another brethren, let's speak the truth in love and not make people that have not partaken of the saving grace of God to look at us as confused beings. grin

Take care.

1 Like

Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by Marxxx: 5:29pm On Feb 18, 2017
jashar:
hmmm....

True, there are a lot of wrong practices and doctrines in most Churches, but there is always a remnant.

My humble and personal opinion is for people to know God for themselves and not just rely on what Pastor said. If you're a sincere person, God would order your steps to the right place of worship that isn't contaminated by all these unrighteous acts we seem to hear about ever so often.

Also, it's not wise to cast aspirations about different churches, it may be a cliche, but let God judge those that name the name of the Lord with profane lips and hearts.

In the end, every man would give account of their stewardship.

Also, if anyone is a Christian and casts aspirations at another Christian, remember that the world may not understand the difference in denominations but would judge you all as Christians. smiley

We are all one body in Christ (talking about Christians now) so, even if we wanna correct another brethren, let's speak the truth in love and not make people that have not partaken of the saving grace of God to look at us as confused beings. grin

Take care.
jashar how do you expect me to read this...I cant...how are you doing by the way?
Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by jashar(f): 5:56pm On Feb 18, 2017
Marxxx:
jashar how do you expect me to read this...I cant...how are you doing by the way?

Grampa.... I forget it is you grin cheesy grin

Lemme help ya ministry...

I dey ooo.
Re: Pentecostal Churches Are Partly Responsible For The Increase In Corruption by philpwresh(m): 7:30pm On May 24, 2020
grin �����

(1) (Reply)

Adeboye Said Tb Joshua Tried To Kill Him Video / If You Desire To Make Heaven, JESUS Christ Is The Only Option. / Is The Bible Genuine At All?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.