Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:41 AM

Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) (25588 Views)

14-Year-Old Orphan Thrown Out By Her Aunt Over Witchcraft Allegation. Photos / Little Child Tortured For Days Over Witchcraft Accusation (Photos) / Houseboy In Edo Tortured Over Witchcraft Accusation (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by zoba88: 11:27am On Feb 12, 2017
A 44-year-old woman, Ms. Mercy Ekwere from Edo Esit Eket escaped death on Monday, February 6th, after police dispersed witch-hunters who cordoned her, tied her hands and legs, then tortured her with sticks and machetes to a state of coma.

Her ordeal began after her 12-year-old niece was dragged to the town hall and underwent questioning and torture over allegations of witchcraft as a result of the death of a 5-year old child.

After a lengthy torture, the twelve years old girl was forced to tell the witch-hunters that her aunt, Ms. Ekwere, took the deceased child to the coven and strangled her to death.

Ms. Ekwere who is married to a man in a small community in the main Eket town, Akwa Ibom was lured by two emissaries who visited her in the early morning of Monday to inform her that the village head was looking for her with matters related to family disputes.

Ms. Ekwere said that as she arrived the scene, she was hurled with insults and abuses by a mammoth crowd and was not given a chance to say anything, only for a mob to descend on her mercilessly with any available weapon in their hands.

"I was shocked to see a big crowd who started calling me uncanny names, spat and threw stones at me. They did not allow me to say anything. A group of young men with sticks and rod gathered around me and began to hit me… I begged them to stop but my plea fell on deaf ears," Ms Ekere narrated. 

"They're asking me different questions. ‘Why did you kill that small child?' ‘Who're your colleagues in the coven?' How many people have you tied in the witch coven?' They brought the corpse of a little child and place on my body and asked me to resurrect her. They put the dead child in a small open container, bathed and gave me the water to drink. Meaning that, if I was responsible for the child's death, I would also die soon.

"In spite of that, they continued to beat me. A man came with a big stick and hit my head, the whole place became dark and I fainted. Policemen, invited by my brother Emmanuel Ekwere, to rescue his child who was making the false confession came and woke me up. I did not see those who were beating me again. I got a bike and returned to my husband, but he told me to leave his house as he has no room for witches..." she added.

When she returned to her husband, she was not allowed entrance to the house. Her five years old son from her late ex-husband was also asked to join her. But the man kept the eleven-month-old child which is the only child that they both have together.

Ms. Ekwere said since she did not have a place to sleep, she went and slept in a small local market with open shades. To her chagrin, three men who were among those who wanted to kill her came there on a motorbike with matches and sticks.

On spotting them, she ran into a bush with her son and made her way to the CRARN Children Centre in Ikot Afaha, Eket, where she has been given a temporary refuge as there's no sanctuary in Nigeria for such older people stigmatized as witches or brutalized and rendered homeless in the name of witchcraft.

Source: http://www.trezzyhelm.com/2017/02/12-year-old-girl-her-44-year-old-aunt.html?m=1

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by zoba88: 11:28am On Feb 12, 2017

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by sarrki(m): 11:30am On Feb 12, 2017
To be sincere Africans are the cause of their problems

The generation after one another worsen it

Compare to the whites that generation after another

makes life easier for their children and children children

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by Nobody: 11:30am On Feb 12, 2017
for this 21st century

17 Likes

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by madridguy(m): 11:30am On Feb 12, 2017
smh for Akwa Ibom people.

7 Likes

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by kabrud: 11:32am On Feb 12, 2017
Blaqsuqar
Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by kabrud: 11:33am On Feb 12, 2017
Na dem, everyday u must hear so many disgusting stories from those sides, I mean "the most educated sides".

5 Likes

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by dorry62(f): 12:07pm On Feb 12, 2017
Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by Origin(f): 12:08pm On Feb 12, 2017
Ummmm. Till there are laws against these acts which are properly enforced on all parties involved. This people will never change.
Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by cycline404(m): 4:23pm On Feb 12, 2017
This is insane

Nigeria has too long way to go.... It's not even visible in year 3000

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by ONESON1(m): 4:24pm On Feb 12, 2017
One thing about accusation is that if someone says that Peter favcked a goat , even if the goat denies it , he will go to gave as Peter the goat fvcker !

@topic God is their strength

2 Likes

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by dayleke: 4:24pm On Feb 12, 2017
My people suffer for lack of ..............,

Chai!!!!!!
In 2017 ?!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by Einl(m): 4:24pm On Feb 12, 2017
For us to grow as a country we have to stop all these foolishness and stupidity and hypocrisy.

6 Likes

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by jiinxed: 4:24pm On Feb 12, 2017
Nigeria is just doomed from all corners. Spits!

6 Likes

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by iluvpomo(m): 4:26pm On Feb 12, 2017
Shameful and primitive society

4 Likes

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by Nobleman18(m): 4:29pm On Feb 12, 2017
grin the funny thing is all of them saying all sorts of trash above me also believe and fear witchcraft, hypocrisy is also a serious problem in Nigeria, if you guys were there I'm sure you'd have joined people in beating her, now its Nairaland and yall forming civilized folks

14 Likes

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by Nobody: 4:29pm On Feb 12, 2017
zoba88:
A 44-year-old woman, Ms. Mercy Ekwere from Edo Esit Eket escaped death on Monday, February 6th, after police dispersed witch-hunters who cordoned her, tied her hands and legs, then tortured her with sticks and machetes to a state of coma.

Her ordeal began after her 12-year-old niece was dragged to the town hall and underwent questioning and torture over allegations of witchcraft as a result of the death of a 5-year old child.

After a lengthy torture, the twelve years old girl was forced to tell the witch-hunters that her aunt, Ms. Ekwere, took the deceased child to the coven and strangled her to death.

Ms. Ekwere who is married to a man in a small community in the main Eket town, Akwa Ibom was lured by two emissaries who visited her in the early morning of Monday to inform her that the village head was looking for her with matters related to family disputes.

Ms. Ekwere said that as she arrived the scene, she was hurled with insults and abuses by a mammoth crowd and was not given a chance to say anything, only for a mob to descend on her mercilessly with any available weapon in their hands.

"I was shocked to see a big crowd who started calling me uncanny names, spat and threw stones at me. They did not allow me to say anything. A group of young men with sticks and rod gathered around me and began to hit me… I begged them to stop but my plea fell on deaf ears," Ms Ekere narrated. 

"They're asking me different questions. ‘Why did you kill that small child?' ‘Who're your colleagues in the coven?' How many people have you tied in the witch coven?' They brought the corpse of a little child and place on my body and asked me to resurrect her. They put the dead child in a small open container, bathed and gave me the water to drink. Meaning that, if I was responsible for the child's death, I would also die soon.

"In spite of that, they continued to beat me. A man came with a big stick and hit my head, the whole place became dark and I fainted. Policemen, invited by my brother Emmanuel Ekwere, to rescue his child who was making the false confession came and woke me up. I did not see those who were beating me again. I got a bike and returned to my husband, but he told me to leave his house as he has no room for witches..." she added.

When she returned to her husband, she was not allowed entrance to the house. Her five years old son from her late ex-husband was also asked to join her. But the man kept the eleven-month-old child which is the only child that they both have together.

Ms. Ekwere said since she did not have a place to sleep, she went and slept in a small local market with open shades. To her chagrin, three men who were among those who wanted to kill her came there on a motorbike with matches and sticks.

On spotting them, she ran into a bush with her son and made her way to the CRARN Children Centre in Ikot Afaha, Eket, where she has been given a temporary refuge as there's no sanctuary in Nigeria for such older people stigmatized as witches or brutalized and rendered homeless in the name of witchcraft.

Source: http://www.trezzyhelm.com/2017/02/12-year-old-girl-her-44-year-old-aunt.html?m=1

wink

Nwamazi reporting for NCAN Igueben Branch.
I came here to check names but I was not disappointed

Even if it is outside Edo State.

The name Edo is synonymous to witchcraft.

Chai

May God help this Edonation.

2 Likes

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by ngwababe(f): 4:30pm On Feb 12, 2017
Hmm.mm... All i can say
Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by Orikinla1: 4:31pm On Feb 12, 2017
Fake and lazy pastors are the ones calling these people witches.
Will our Lord Jesus Christ do so?
No.

The ignorant church goers are fake Christians.
Among them are the real witches.
Bearing grudges is witchcraft.
Bitterness is witchcraft.
Falsehood is witchcraft.
Adultery is witchcraft.
Greed is witchcraft.
Ingratitude is witchcraft.
Hypocrisy is witchcraft.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by hopefulLandlord: 4:31pm On Feb 12, 2017
When will Africa extricate itself from these archaic beliefs?

7 Likes

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by Nobody: 4:31pm On Feb 12, 2017
One of such cases from d north will trend nationwide for weeks on end. Here we are receiving bad news everyday from witches to incest, from paedophiles to criminalism in d name of Christ. It seems our pastors up north are far more God fearing for d barbarism they display is at its bearest minimum here. Yet, someone will sit within such madness and point a finger above him. Anuofia

2 Likes

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by mu2sa2: 4:32pm On Feb 12, 2017
Are they Muslims or Christians?
Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by kachi08(m): 4:41pm On Feb 12, 2017
Why is this false accusation of witchcraft rampant in Akwa Ibom state?
Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by Nobody: 4:42pm On Feb 12, 2017
Nobleman18:
grin the funny thing is all of them saying all sorts of trash above me also believe and fear witchcraft, hypocrisy is also a serious problem in Nigeria, if you guys were there I'm sure you'd have joined people in beating her, now its Nairaland and yall forming civilized folks
Absolute Rubbish! How did you come to this Ridiculous conclusion? You make no sense atall!

2 Likes

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by smartiyke78: 4:43pm On Feb 12, 2017
Dats y most of dem from dat area are still primitive like 30yrs backward. Talking from xperience, I served (NYSC) dia, if not for dia past governor who really did a great job in d state, i wonder wot would b of dem now.

Dem nd witchcraft re like two identical twins!

2 Likes

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by Nobody: 4:43pm On Feb 12, 2017
Now how can we help this poor innocent woman and her child with some were to live? Fuvk! The witchcrafts and their followers, you know? i am a witchctaft too! Now what? angry

1 Like

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by Kingbuhari(m): 4:50pm On Feb 12, 2017
Watch and see how God will take this case pick her call....
Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by YorubasAreSmart: 4:50pm On Feb 12, 2017
Akwa ibom state and My Edo brothers be like 5 and 6 in this witchcraft game

1 Like

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by dinggle: 4:50pm On Feb 12, 2017
If them see witch dem go fit stand?....the govt is not protecting the citizens!...no body has the right to take the ownership of the laws of the land, that is why we have police and courts.

2 Likes

Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by YorubasAreSmart: 4:51pm On Feb 12, 2017
Kingbuhari:
Watch and see how God will take this case pick her call....
arabmopol welcome back from Ban.

And may God continue to punish Buhari cheesy
Re: Girl & Her Aunt Tortured By Elders In Akwa Ibom Over Witchcraft Accusation (Pic) by seunlayi(m): 4:55pm On Feb 12, 2017
This is bad

(1) (2) (Reply)

'I Don't Believe In Hell Fire' / Is This Type Of Compensation Religiously Allowed? / Israel Goodnews Balogun Detained By Police Over Suleman's 'Miracle Money'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.