Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,730 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:13 PM

Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job (6327 Views)

Should I Quit My Present Job For A Federal Government Job? / How Did You Get Your Present Job? / Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by IbrahimB: 11:35pm On Dec 08, 2009
@posakosa ^^^ U're 29--- why not get married at 32 ?

Is 32 a magic number?

@poster:

1. Can you obtain a study leave where you're working right now? If you can obtain a study leave, MSc is 1 year in the UK (if your school is in the UK), on your return to Naija after your MSc you can gladly pick up your job. And your wife  grin

2. If you can't obtain a study leave, maybe it's better to stick around, hold your job and get married. You could then stash up some savings and after working for a while you can try and get a study leave. But do inquire from your boss whether there's a study-leave policy already in place.

Good luck!
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by linkin8k(m): 11:50pm On Dec 08, 2009
beknown's advice is gud
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by vislabraye(m): 1:15am On Dec 09, 2009
abbyode:

The advice above is perfect for your situation.
I have couple of guys who resigned their jobs for masters abroad but who ended up in labour market today.

I am into IT and I have close to a decade experience. The fact is you need more of professional skills / certifications to advance in IT field. That, of course,does not mean you dont have to do masters, but this can be achieved online/ distance learning. For your record, I have 2 foreign masters (Eng Mgt & MBA) already. I achieved this without leaving my job.

Please and please, dont be thrilled or cajoled into resigning your job for a foreign masters coz you have more chance of returning to labour market than securing a gud job when u come back.

If you contact me personally, I can refer you to at least 5 people who have had bitter experiences relating to a decision you are about to take. So, i know wot I am talking about. I can also mentor you in IT if you dont mind.

Cool. So which field in IT do you find more fulfilling and lucrative in Naija ?
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by mamagee3(f): 2:37am On Dec 09, 2009
Get your Masters Degree!!!
You'll get a better job
. tongue
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by posakosa(m): 4:58am On Dec 09, 2009
To all you morons you cannot read---- where have I said that 32 IS A MAGIC NUMBER ?!

He is 29--- some Masters programs are 2 years---- 31 and he'll give himself one more year to get a job and put his finances together----even his wife will enjoy him more when his finances are set.
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by jaguar09(m): 8:57am On Dec 09, 2009
it is indeed the best thread i have seen on Nairaland ever, everybody commented maturedly and proffessionally. to all those commented and gave their words of advice i thank you on and to the poster nice one. what i can say here is key, you need to analyse your situation in a logical manner, putting th 3F factors in copy. ur Future, ur Fiancee and Family.

am going to face similar situation next year, i want to do my master, get serious to a lady, with the ever demanding nature of the IT profession i am in for a big fight. these are areas of a man's life that are all important but we have to manage them use scale of preference. So figure out which one is best for you now. marriage is not a school you can decide to drop out from if things out wrong. be wise. the way Nigeria is going in the hands of our present leader you mit regret leaving you Job for master now. do a futuristic study of trends aroung you. wish you all the best.
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by FEMARY(m): 3:45pm On Dec 09, 2009
MSC IN ELECTRONICS AND TELECOMMS FROM A UK UNIVERSITY WILL GIVE U A BETTER EDGE IN THE JOB MARKET ANY TIME ANY DAY.FORGET ABOUT ALL THESE NO JOB AFTER GRADUATION.SINCE YOUR IS SUPPORTIVE OF THE IDEA,GO FOR IT.EVEN IF SHE DOESNT STILL GO FOR IT.WHEN YOU ARE MARRIED ITS A DIFFERENT BALL GAME ENTIRELY.MORE DEMAND ON THAT YOUR SALARY TO THE EXTENT YOU MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO AFFORD THE MASTER DEGREE AGAIN.WHAT OF IF YOUR WIFE GETS PREGNANT?MY BROTHER MAKE THE HEY WHEN THE SUN SHINES.
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by tboy1(m): 5:39pm On Dec 09, 2009
FEMARY:

MSC IN ELECTRONICS AND TELECOMMS FROM A UK UNIVERSITY WILL GIVE U A BETTER EDGE IN THE JOB MARKET ANY TIME ANY DAY.FORGET ABOUT ALL THESE NO JOB AFTER GRADUATION.SINCE YOUR IS SUPPORTIVE OF THE IDEA,GO FOR IT.EVEN IF SHE DOESNT STILL GO FOR IT.WHEN YOU ARE MARRIED ITS A DIFFERENT BALL GAME ENTIRELY.MORE DEMAND ON THAT YOUR SALARY TO THE EXTENT YOU MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO AFFORD THE MASTER DEGREE AGAIN.WHAT OF IF YOUR WIFE GETS PREGNANT?MY BROTHER MAKE THE HEY WHEN THE SUN SHINES.
Pls get ur fact right and stop deceiving the poster. Do you have any idea how many ppl with masters + good grades + certificates and still looking undecided
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by ahamdiheme: 5:41pm On Dec 09, 2009
I'm in a similar situation. The difference with me is I don't have any work experience and I am considering doing a Phd immediately after my MSc in Electronics and Communication Engineering (ending in the summer of 2010). Stories from Job seekers in Nigeria scare me and that's part of what is motivationg my desire for a Phd. To make it a little clearer, I'm currently a research assistant in my school so I don't pay any fees and I get paid monthly (600USD approximately). I have got a girlfriend who is in NIgeria- we've been dating for 4 years and God knows if there is anyone I want to get married to it will be her. What job prospects do I have if I go back home after my MSc which has given me 2yrs work experience as a researcher? Or do I go for a Phd which will last at least 4yrs?

The thought of going home scares me cos I've got friends with good grades still searching for jobs.

Thank you everyone
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by AjanleKoko: 6:11pm On Dec 09, 2009
@ Poster,
If you are in the IT field, a Masters degree is not priority, at east not one in electronics and telecoms. The current economic climate doesn't give room for that, I would say.

In fact, use the money to get certified. Most of these advanced degrees in electronics and communications mean very little, both within and outside Nigeria. If you're talking telecoms, there is currently a serious meltdown going on; the vendors, such as Ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent,are all laying off workers, while the operators, especially the ones in the UK, are all running managed service operations. Unless you are extremely lucky, you'll have to consider coming back home, where none of the telcos have graduate programs for fresh students.

On the other hand, IT is a huge industry, and there is a lot you can learn without going to do a masters degree. Nowadays we talk 'convergence'; i.e. IT and Telecoms have merged, and service delivery is across both industries. Develop yourself by training and certification within your industry, and the job opportunities will come. IT is not like the financial sector, which spurred a global demand for top notch MBAs in the last few years, and guess where that has left us; the whole world is broke.

You can always do an MBA by distance learning later; after you have acquired all the skills you need. An MBA would definitely help eventually when you want to make the transition into IT or General Management. Unless you have teaching or R&grin leanings, as an IT person, stay away from the Msc in Computer Science, Communications or Electronics.

Cheers.
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by kuramo: 7:06pm On Dec 09, 2009
Anyone seriously planning on applying to do an MBA should think again.

Recent indications are that come 2010 and for the second year running, tens of thousands of overqualified MBA's will graduate with nowhere to go and work.   A few will land jobs in investment banks but the majority of those dreaming of lucrative jobs with big companies will be disappointed.

In fact a lot of new MBA holders will go crawling back to their old employers if they have been lucky enough to have been employed before embarking on an MBA, they will in effect be doing pretty much what they were doing before for the same money. That is the effect of the global recession.

One then has to question whether an MBA is really worth all the money it costs . If there is a decline in the myth surrounding an MBA, maybe it's a good thing , it will cut the supply of pretentious bullshit ideas about business at source.
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by IbrahimB: 7:38pm On Dec 09, 2009
@posakosa  He is 29--- some Masters programs are 2 years---- 31 and he'll give himself one more year to get a job and put his finances together----even his wife will enjoy him more when his finances are set.

Thanks for the arithmetic. We didn't know where you pulled the "32" from and that's why I thought it was some magic number  grin

Besides, you don't need to call anyone a "slowpoke". Ok?
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by IbrahimB: 7:44pm On Dec 09, 2009
To all you morons you cannot read---- where have I said that 32 IS A MAGIC NUMBER ?!

He is 29--- some Masters programs are 2 years---- 31 and he'll give himself one more year to get a job and put his finances together----even his wife will enjoy him more when his finances are set.

Hey, Moderator why are you changing my post? I'm just quoting what this guy called some of us  angry angry

Why didn't you change his post too? I am only telling him not to call anyone a m***n  sad sad That's not a right word to use, even if on the internet.
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by bodsibobo(m): 8:05pm On Dec 09, 2009
@ kuramo

Anyone seriously planning on applying to do an MBA should think again.

Recent indications are that come 2010 and for the second year running, tens of thousands of overqualified MBA's will graduate with nowhere to go and work.   A few will land jobs in investment banks but the majority of those dreaming of lucrative jobs with big companies will be disappointed.

In fact a lot of new MBA holders will go crawling back to their old employers if they have been lucky enough to have been employed before embarking on an MBA, they will in effect be doing pretty much what they were doing before for the same money. That is the effect of the global recession.

One then has to question whether an MBA is really worth all the money it costs . If there is a decline in the myth surrounding an MBA, maybe it's a good thing , it will cut the supply of pretentious bullshit ideas about business at source.

I beg to disagree sir!

Would you say because there are so many "charge and bail lawyers" littering our high courts doing affidavits et al should mean no one should go to school again to read law?

My brother, I am SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING DOING AN MBA any time from now and my belief is that even if every third person on the street has an MBA qualification, one simply needs to proof him/her self in any situation one finds oneself. You may even end up becoming an entrepreneur thereafter!!! The MBA will definitely make you a better one!!!

@ poster

Why not consider a part time MBA or even a distance / online MBA. These days, its the way to go. That way you get to do your MBA and keep your job, and if you have the strength, you can get married too at the same time.  wink

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by okoomoge2(m): 8:33pm On Dec 09, 2009
Guy, I would advice you go for your masters , from a practical point of view u have gat edge with a work experience and masters.
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by franktolk(m): 8:38pm On Dec 09, 2009
My brother, dont get deceived and dis-illussioned.I was in your shoes until my eyes got wide opened.Pack up your books and come for your masters.Dont get deceived by the thousands of naira your earning for now.The 130k is nothing compared to the benefits derivable from ur masters.If it is living maintainance while studying you will definitely get one or 2 jobs that will take care of that.Max workin hrs as a student is 20 per wk in The UK,at worst let say u got 15hrs at min of £5.8(that's the min,u can get 8.5)that's like £348 a month its good enough to take care of u(am lookin at the worst scenario).
My bros,no power failure, no enemy of progress,traffick hold ups - No.Benefits after studies very high.Chances of staying after studies high toooUk govt will giv u 2 addtional yrs, Canada - work permit etc.You'll get int'l exposure, nothin like min work entry age,
At the end of it u'l be better off, every thing in life requires taking risk and this is a worthy one.Ur fiancee,parents and siblings and ur goodself will Thank God for it.
Come out of your comfort zone and stop behaving like a slave admiring the Golden chain tied roung His two legs. Seek God!
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by franktolk(m): 8:44pm On Dec 09, 2009
My brother, dont get deceived and dis-illussioned.I was in your shoes until my eyes got wide opened.Pack up your books and come for your masters.Dont get deceived by the thousands of naira your earning for now.The 130k is nothing compared to the benefits derivable from ur masters.If it is living maintainance while studying you will definitely get one or 2 jobs that will take care of that.Max workin hrs as a student is 20 per wk in The UK,at worst let say u got 15hrs at min of £5.8(that's the min,u can get 8.5)that's like £348 a month its good enough to take care of u(am lookin at the worst scenario).
My bros,no power failure, no enemy of progress,traffick hold ups - No.Benefits after studies very high.Chances of staying after studies high toooUk govt will giv u 2 addtional yrs, Canada - work permit etc.You'll get int'l exposure, nothin like min work entry age,
At the end of it u'l be better off, every thing in life requires taking risk and this is a worthy one.Ur fiancee,parents and siblings and ur goodself will Thank God for it.
Come out of your comfort zone and stop behaving like a slave admiring the Golden chain tied roung His two legs. Seek God!
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by franktolk(m): 8:48pm On Dec 09, 2009
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by franktolk(m): 9:03pm On Dec 09, 2009
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by Bobsantana(m): 12:52pm On Dec 10, 2009
Well done for you achievements so far
my advice for you would be to continue working and study for your Masters part time
see if you can get you employer to sponsor you and you can even do if by distance learning

All the best
Iyobor
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by Bobsantana(m): 12:56pm On Dec 10, 2009
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by cuvoguy: 1:50pm On Dec 10, 2009
My guy, the thirst for more knowledge is endless. If you believe in God, then believe in His Word that says ''He that finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favour from God'' Who tells you you can't go further when you're married. Women are called helpmate by God, bestowed with special favour from God. Marry her and she will be fulfilled and pray for you. I will never support your leaving this present job (certainty) for masters and then come back to join the labour market (uncertainty). There are people with 1st class honours + certifications still looking for job. If you have a job and shelter pls go ahead and get married and see greater doors opening to you even with your 1st degree. Some people travel abroad and return changed or meet their loved one changed. My friend got married at the age of 27 and 2 months after his wedding, he got a job with an oil company. Another one got married as a teacher but today he's a banker. One got married as a low rated engineer but today he works with the biggest satellite TV in US (with greencard, american driving licence + his own house).

Any female reading this piece and fail to recognise the bundle of favour she's carrying might never understand her worth.

The situation in the world today says Hold Tight Unto What You Have Now, cos if you loose it, it might be difficult getting it back.
If it's your job, don't leave it;
if it's your fiance/fiancee, get married (before you start commiting sin grin)
Before you take that decision, PRAY, PLAN AND PREPARE.
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by ReachRich(m): 2:57pm On Dec 10, 2009
^^^^^
best advice so far.
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by Nobody: 7:33pm On Dec 10, 2009
@OP
Go for your masters before marriage.
However, i don't know if a masters is relevant in your field, maybe certification will be more valuable.

Whatever, get as much knowledge as you can while single.
Trust me, it ain't easy studying as a married fellow.

My brother, I am SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING DOING AN MBA any time from now and my belief is that even if every third person on the street has an MBA qualification, one simply needs to proof him/her self in any situation one finds oneself. You may even end up becoming an entrepreneur thereafter!!! The MBA will definitely make you a better one!!!

Don't mind the dude.
The guy probably doesn't even have a first degree yet.

An MBA will always be recognized and valuable.
I encourage you to go do yours, i got mine years back and it's taken me places.
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by slimes(m): 8:14pm On Dec 10, 2009
Try online masters or distance learning masters.
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by persist: 1:10pm On Dec 11, 2009
@poster I will Tell u what I can observe from majority of the posters . It is called FEAR. I can smell in their post. When u graduated how long did u wait to get a job? did u eventually get it? that's obvious ?
MYTH 1
After the masters you will not get a job ---- Myth Busted

Get married now you may not get these opportunity again? I will advice u not to get married now . Discuss with your fiancee If she really loves you she will stay for you .I agree with having a small wedding so that she can be at rest. If she leaves now she can leave anytime when things are not going her way.

Have an online masters?
I don't agree with having an online certificate . Most people advice u have a Degree certificate mentality Don't fall into that Nigeria mentality Go for Knowledge, have it and you can compete globally with anyone. When u attend the university you create networks of friend which is Instrumental to your growth.
Don't let ur thinking u might end up working for NASA with that degree but the 10yrs experience here with all the certification you can't work in NASA and sorts .

You don't actually need certification You need Knowledge. Certification are dumps and people know that. Don't let The phd(Pull Him Down) here pull u down.

I would suggest you go for electronic and communication though check the course content . Is it more academically oriented or industry oriented . Some electronic and communication will teach you all the mathematics and theoretical tings good if u are going for a PHD while some will give u what u need for the industry.

Above all Pray for direction . This is my one cent
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by posakosa(m): 1:57pm On Dec 11, 2009
IbrahimB:

Hey, Moderator why are you changing my post? I'm just quoting what this guy called some of us  angry angry

Why didn't you change his post too? I am only telling him not to call anyone a m***n  sad sad That's not a right word to use, even if on the internet.

Its the SPAMBOT that changed it, i think. undecided
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by jean2002: 3:30pm On Dec 11, 2009
I sincerely thank you all for your advices, truly the internet is a wealth of knowledge and Nigerians are highly educated and caring people we are unique and great, truly Nigeria's wealth lies not in the oil but rather in her people, I appreciated all your contributions and I assure you all it will go a long way in shaping my final decision, may God almighty in his infinite goodness continue to bless and keep us all (Amen), Thanks my brothers and sisters, I will keep you all posted on my final decision, please still keep uour advices rolling!!.
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by ennainot(f): 5:16pm On Dec 11, 2009
Hello Jean2002
Can your present employer give you a study leave while you are studying for your masters/getting more qualifications? If so,then you will not need to resign from your present employer if you are proceeding for advanced studies.This will also ensure that you have a job ready at hand(and not start looking for another) if you do decide to come back home.
As for the marriage aspect,Was marriage part of your plan at this point in your life masters or no Masters? Or is the urge to get married solely spurred by a zeal to 'commit' to your fiancee so that you or she wont marry someone else why you are away? If you do want to get married,would your fiancee be willing to accompany you as you travel for your studies? what does she do? Marriage is an institution founded by God and its not to be treated lightly. I personally won't encourage a newly wed couple to live apart FOR ANY REASON. Your life together as a couple is more important than any degrees or qualification you might get. Most importantly,the 2 of you (You and your fiancee) should rely completely on God in prayer so you can make the best decision(s).
All the best bro
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by REDIN: 5:06am On Dec 12, 2009
no knowledge is lost as you dont know when you might it. moreso, you dont know the nxt direction our world is taking us to. who says that you cant combine IT and M.Sc elect elect? there will always be a better paying job as long as you know what you are lookin for and you have confidence in yourself. my guess is that if you dont take the programme, you may regret all your life. but the choice is yours-CHOOSE WISELY.
Re: Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job by GTay(m): 11:27am On Dec 12, 2009
profb:

your masters experience proceeds will cater for your new family.

Lol, How is this possible 

FYI Masters does not guarantee anything employment-wise these days

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

12 Ways Of Building Team Spirit In An Office Environment / Your Experience As A Sales Man / How To Manage Your Time, Self And The Interviewer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.