Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,447 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues (2853 Views)

20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” / Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 8:18pm On Feb 13, 2017
The act of speaking in tongues has always confused me, right from my childhood.

The Bible clearly states 'speaking in tongues' as a gift of the spirit, but there is something I (and I'm pretty sure almost everyone else) have noticed.

All pastors, or at least all that I've come across, speak in a particular tongue.
Rababoboskibobobo Andamalamamannana Skimtayaya!

Is it possible that there are no genuine tonguers in the church today?
Or let's assume 'obobobonopokoskirayayayayaya' actually means something in an archaic language. How is it that they all speak a particular kind of tongue?

Another baffling thing, a Catholic friend actually drew my attention to this, there's a place in the Bible where it is stated that there should be no tongueing without an interpreter.

No one can understand what you say so you shouldn't be doing it in public without someone to decode your sayings.

Is it possible that pastors who do that, you know... Kabash in tongues from dawn to dusk are in the wrong?

Are they hypocrites like the Pharisees, wanting everyone to hear and be in awe of them, or are they simply spirit filled and have no control over their utterances?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 8:45pm On Feb 13, 2017
Lol.
.am befuddled also.
They said "when you speaking with tongues ,. . .it keeps us continually aware of the Holy Spirit’s indwelling Presence.
I don't do it thO

#YOLO
Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by greatnaija01: 8:56pm On Feb 13, 2017
i wish you did your research well and probably browsed google or youtube on this issue before clearing all our doubt about your deep ignorance of the word of God and lack of exposure. it is lame to argue here based on what a catholic friend told you... go and search the bible for yourself because if you are wrong and found speaking against what you do not know of... you will still be judged on the LAST DAY... do you not fear God.

ARE YOU THE ONE WHO CALLED THOSE PASTORS? if they are fake or real pls how is that your business...Romans 14:4=
Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand[/ b]....

God didnt send you to be the checker of tongues... you really have to be careful.. LIFE IS VERY SPIRITUAL.
[b]Jude 1:10 Yet people like these speak against whatever they do not understand, and the very things they do understand by instinct--as irrational animals do--will destroy them.

you have a bible even right from childhood and you didnt study... now you have the internet. pls be careful Christ is coming soon.

NOW THIS IS YOUR CURE

1 Corinthians 14:2 KJV

For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

THIS MEANS WHEN A PERSON SPEAKS IN TONGUES EVEN IF YOU ARE THERE, THEY ARE NOT TALKING TO YOU BUT TO GOD... that is why the verse says no man understands... it didnt say no man should be there. pls get it clear now

4. He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

EDIFY is building or upgrading. and i can upgrade myself even when people are around o ... but if you prophesy then everyone in the church gets blessed... because there may be those in the church who do not yet have the gift of speaking in tongues ... this is the verse
6- Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine? ............. 11- Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me. 12- Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church. this means that they should seek to prophesy in other to bless everyone in church because of those who have not received the Holyspirit yet o.

NOW THIS NEXT VERSE IS THE GAME CHANGER
[B] 13- Wherefore let him that speaks in an unknown tongue PRAY that he may interpret.[/B] This clearly shows that SPEAKING is not the same as PRAYING. SPEAKING IN TONGUES is not going to help anyone even the speaker unless he PRAYS cos it is the prayer that will convert the tongues to english or a language he understands.

this is what you really need to apply Niyuu
20-Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. so this is it... once you are mature in your understanding you would not argue or have issues with this tongues that people misuse .. so in conclusion

22- Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serves not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. 23-If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

Tongues is our dialect, heaven is our country... when you speak in your native dialect everyone will know where you are from but may not understand what you are saying.... so tongues proves to the unbeliever that we hail from different places. thats what verse 22 is saying... now verse 23 shows us that in a church service where we have new people SPEAKING in tongues shouldnt be by everyone. now PRAYING in tongues was not mentioned here... that is quite different from speaking. also if everyone in the church has received the Holyghost and the meeting does not include new people or visitors then they are free to speak in tongues. it is always for the sake of the unlearned or those who do not have the gift that is why we should be considerate and not speak... but in PRAYER we are free.

NOW YOU ARE NOT A CHILD ANYMORE.... PLS UNDERSTAND IT and cross-check the bible with it. I celebrate you. GOD BLESS

Niyuu:

The Bible clearly states 'speaking in tongues' as a gift of the spirit, but there is something I (and I'm pretty sure almost everyone else) have noticed.

All pastors, or at least all that I've come across, speak in a particular tongue.

Or let's assume 'obobobonopokoskirayayayayaya' actually means something in an archaic language. How is it that they all speak a particular kind of tongue?

Another baffling thing, a Catholic friend actually drew my attention to this, there's a place in the Bible where it is stated that there should be no tongueing without an interpreter.

No one can understand what you say so you shouldn't be doing it in public without someone to decode your sayings.

Is it possible that pastors who do that, you know... Kabash in tongues from dawn to dusk are in the wrong?

Are they hypocrites like the Pharisees, wanting everyone to hear and be in awe of them, or are they simply spirit filled and have no control over their utterances?

2 Likes

Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by joinnow: 8:59pm On Feb 13, 2017
Carry out a research
99.9% dont know what they are speaking
Abeg Nobody should quote me oooooo
Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by Seun(m): 9:37pm On Feb 13, 2017
Jesus would not have approved of praying in tongues if he had lived. He [url=https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+6%3A5-15]said[/url], " And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."
Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by AyamConfidence(m): 9:38pm On Feb 13, 2017
On a lighter note permit me to say that those "prayer warriors" that speak in tounges remind me of our musicians e.g

LIL KESH :- skiboroboskibo skiborroborborskibor eyba oshey baddest grin

TEKNO :- baby ribirabaribarobo arabaribirabarebaba grin

Na joke ooo grin grin
Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by AyamConfidence(m): 9:38pm On Feb 13, 2017
grin grin
Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by AyamConfidence(m): 9:40pm On Feb 13, 2017
cool
Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by sapientia(m): 10:55pm On Feb 13, 2017
Seun:
Jesus would not have approved of praying in tongues if he had lived. He [url=https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+6%3A5-15]said[/url], " And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."

Oga, I watch in amusement almost everyday as you strive daily to convince yourself that God the father of Jesus Christ does not exist. I hope you know that more than 50% (to be modest.. na 90% i been wan write) of your posts are dedicated to it.

Anyways.. I wonder how some people always try to convince you using the bible when you do not even believe it. Are you saying that if christians stop praying in tongues you will believe they are true or you just want to keep struggling to convince yourself?

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by kaboninc(m): 5:22am On Feb 14, 2017
Sometimes.. .only if they know that the world will just be a better place with any religion....
Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by kaboninc(m): 5:24am On Feb 14, 2017
sapientia:

Oga, I watch in amusement almost everyday as you strive daily to convince yourself that God the father of Jesus Christ does not exist. I hope you know that more than 50% (to be modest.. na 90% i been wan write) of your posts are dedicated to it.

Anyways.. I wonder how some people always try to convince you using the bible when you do not even believe it. Are you saying that if christians stop praying in tongues you will believe they are true or you just want to keep struggling to convince yourself?

This is more about the very foundation on which Christianity is laid.
Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by Seun(m): 8:51am On Feb 14, 2017
Are you saying that if christians stop praying in tongues you will believe they are true or you just want to keep struggling to convince yourself?
In this case I'm pointing out a contradiction between the teachings of Jesus and the religion that was created in his name after he was killed. I want to see if Christians will acknowledge this contradiction, and if not, how they will rationalize the practice of babbling meaningless words.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 9:05am On Feb 14, 2017
You misunderstand.

This isn't me arguing. This is me asking questions.

And uh... It is definitely my business if my spiritual leaders are fake. If the shepherd is a fraud, will he be able to lead the sheep in the right way?

I'm not saying they shouldn't speak or pray in tongues (even though there is absolutely no difference between them. Look it up. Don't make up terms.) I'm asking if it is right for it to be done publicly. Because it is clearly stated. Don't do it publicly if there is no interpreter. Talk to only God. And uh... Screaming into a microphone doesn't really count as talking to only God. My question again. Isn't it a little bit hypocritical? Aren't they acting exactly like the pharisees?

You quote scriptures that back your claim, and ignore the ones that don't. Anyone can justify anything in the Bible, there are a lot of verses there you know. You completely ignored verse 28

Anyways, that's not my only question. You didn't answer the other. How is it that they all speak the same way? And don't pretend to have not noticed.

Could you be so kind in your reply to quote less and explain more? I'm seeking to be less confused and the contradictory bible verses do not help.

By the way, if threatening people with judgement on the last day, concluding that they are ignorant and lack exposure, claiming their confusion is as a result of not enough bible studying in their childhood, if that is your way of spreading the gospel, then I suggest you check yourself.

Your righteousness is sinful and you are doing neither yourself nor the church any good.

. Greatnaija01

5 Likes

Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by greatnaija01: 10:39am On Feb 14, 2017
relax its either you will learn by experience or by mistake. I am glad you have no excuse for ignorance. you are attacking me the messanger rather than learning the message that i have posted that can change your life..... kontinue o

Niyuu:
You misunderstand.

This isn't me arguing. This is me asking questions.

And uh... It is definitely my business if my spiritual leaders are fake. If the shepherd is a fraud, will he be able to lead the sheep in the right way?

I'm not saying they shouldn't speak or pray in tongues (even though there is absolutely no difference between them. Look it up. Don't make up terms.) I'm asking if it is right for it to be done publicly. Because it is clearly stated. Don't do it publicly if there is no interpreter. Talk to only God. And uh... Screaming into a microphone doesn't really count as talking to only God. My question again. Isn't it a little bit hypocritical? Aren't they acting exactly like the pharisees?

You quote scriptures that back your claim, and ignore the ones that don't. Anyone can justify anything in the Bible, there are a lot of verses there you know. You completely ignored verse 28

Anyways, that's not my only question. You didn't answer the other. How is it that they all speak the same way? And don't pretend to have not noticed.

Could you be so kind in your reply to quote less and explain more? I'm seeking to be less confused and the contradictory bible verses do not help.

By the way, if threatening people with judgement on the last day, concluding that they are ignorant and lack exposure, claiming their confusion is as a result of not enough bible studying in their childhood, if that is your way of spreading the gospel, then I suggest you check yourself.

Your righteousness is sinful and you are doing neither yourself nor the church any good.

. Greatnaija01
Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 10:54am On Feb 14, 2017
greatnaija01:
relax its either you will learn by experience or by mistake. I am glad you have no excuse for ignorance. you are attacking me the messanger rather than learning the message that i have posted that can change your life..... kontinue o

Smh. Still no answer. No worries thoh. Bye.

2 Likes

Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by kaboninc(m): 11:32am On Feb 14, 2017
Niyuu:

. Greatnaija01

Tell them

5 Likes

Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by sapientia(m): 1:41pm On Feb 14, 2017
kaboninc:

This is more about the very foundation on which Christianity is laid.

Am sorry sir, I dont get you.
Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by sapientia(m): 1:51pm On Feb 14, 2017
Seun:

In this case I'm pointing out a contradiction between the teachings of Jesus and the religion that was created in his name after he was killed. I want to see if Christians will acknowledge this contradiction, and if not, how they will rationalize the practice of babbling meaningless words.

You do not even believe that God exist... So if there is a contradiction in the Bible how is it your concern? Cant you create an atheist room instead of spending your Nairaland hours looking for how to prove that christians are LOST in their belief in God.

Are Christians the only Religion you pour your hatred upon?

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by sapientia(m): 1:58pm On Feb 14, 2017
Niyuu:

It takes only personal relationship with God for somethings to become real. How can one know a fake naira if he/she has never seen or touched the real one. Are you a spirit filled christian? If not, that which you seek to know will continue being a mystery. Look unto Jesus, he is the author and finisher... forget how pastors pray.
Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by Barristter07: 2:11pm On Feb 14, 2017
Sapientia

sapientia:

It takes only personal relationship with God for somethings to become real. How can one know a fake naira if he/she has never seen or touched the real one. Are you a spirit filled christian? If not, that which you seek to know will continue being a mystery. Look unto Jesus, he is the author and finisher... forget how pastors pray.

Next time Sir, Just say NO IDEA grin grin , Address the op or Exit the thread .
Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by twosquare(m): 6:10pm On Feb 14, 2017
Niyuu:

Guess you have not been in a spiritual meeting before with angelic visitations. Tongue is not all about "obobobonopokoskirayayayayaya" lol... grin. If all a believer has been saying is "obobobonopokoskirayayayayaya." Such a believer or pastor should beg God to change his/her language. Apart from ignorance, some is just due to mere laziness...tongues are ever-flowing; it is a spiritual language...I don't know which tribe you are from, but even your parents will be worried if all you could say is bawoni..bawonibawonibawoni or Kedukedukdeudkedu in Yoruba or Igbo language vice versa. Most times, you start with two three syllables...but as times goes on and you use it often...it will begin to change: from phrases to string of sentences and on and on...we have people who pray in tongues for 4 hrs...and if na obobobonopokoskirayayayayaya..you go get tired...

Let me give you another one...I have not just heard tongues prevalent among men, I have also heard angelic tongues spoken and duly interpreted..it all depends on your company of believers. Most of these tongues come when we have reached a height of a message or revelation as a confirmation. Things are happening my sister..if you are interested to hear something close to it...I can give you two messages to download and hear for yourself.

2 Likes

Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by petra1(m): 6:27pm On Feb 14, 2017
Niyuu:

You're mistaking . There are two kinds of tongues . There is a prophetic tongue that you need to interpret because it's a message for the hearers . But there's a tongue of prayer which need no interpretation. It's between the speakers and God in church or privately . Lastly for the second tongues of prayer .it doesn't matter how it sounds . Either it Lele Lele Lele,ekek. It's utterly rubbish and jargon. It's not the sounds that counts but where it's generated . In the realm of the spirit it has meaning

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 6:57am On Feb 15, 2017
petra1:

You're mistaking . There are two kinds of tongues . There is a prophetic tongue that you need to interpret because it's a message for the hearers . But there's a tongue of prayer which need no interpretation. It's between the speakers and God in church or privately . Lastly for the second tongues of prayer .it doesn't matter how it sounds . Either it Lele Lele Lele,ekek. It's utterly rubbish and jargon. It's not the sounds that counts but where it's generated . In the realm of the spirit it has meaning

But. (I'm sorry if I'm being argumentative I just really need answers)

When the disciples were praying.. In the... Was it upper room? Passers by could understand and interprete their words. They didnt speak in a "heavenly language"
And no where in the Bible is 'tongues of prayer' differentiated from 'tongues of prophesy'

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by petra1(m): 7:28am On Feb 15, 2017
Niyuu:

When the disciples were praying.. In the... Was it upper room? Passers by could understand and interprete their words. They didnt speak in a "heavenly language"
And no where in the Bible is 'tongues of prayer' differentiated from 'tongues of prophesy'

Yes you're right they spoke in tongues of men, the tongues of men is meant for people to hear . There is a gift of diversity of tongues , that's the ability to speak in an earthly language that you naturally haven't learnt , it operates when speaking to a people who's language you don't know , but it's different from when you're prayiig to God in the spirit . Remember even a groan has meaning spiritually but in the natural a groan is not a language .

Romans 8:26-27 (KJV Strong's)
26 -- Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God

Groaning here is not earthly language , but it's a spirit prayer , Jesus groaned at the grace of Lazarus , and he said ,God heard him
Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by kaboninc(m): 8:13am On Feb 15, 2017
cheesy cheesy
Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by kaboninc(m): 8:18am On Feb 15, 2017
sapientia:

Am sorry sir, I dont get you.

let me just say that the Bible is self contradictory and more like a folk tale. Like the Greek myths, like every other myths. When you subject the contents of the Bible to critical analysis, the Bible will just become a great story book.

So many Christians, especially those of younger ages, our generation do not have absolute faith in the Bible. Should I go deep with you, you'll also come to the same conclusion that indeed the Bible is a collection of various story books.
Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 8:55am On Feb 15, 2017
kaboninc:

let me just say that the Bible is self contradictory and more like a folk tale. Like the Greek myths, like every other myths. When you subject the contents of the Bible to critical analysis, the Bible will just become a great story book.

So many Christians, especially those of younger ages, our generation do not have absolute faith in the Bible. Should I go deep with you, you'll also come to the same conclusion that indeed the Bible is a collection of various story books.

Are you an atheist??!?! shocked
Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by kaboninc(m): 9:03am On Feb 15, 2017
Niyuu:

Are you an atheist??!?! shocked

I am.. .
Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 9:06am On Feb 15, 2017
kaboninc:

I am.. .

shocked
Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by Nobody: 9:32am On Feb 15, 2017
Niyuu:

You doubting does not mean others shouldn't personally have heard of what he said and when I pray I speak from my spirit there are just sometimes you will get a chill as you pray on tongues it is not joke

The last person that condemn mine lol o just smiled
Re: The Issue Of Speaking In Tongues by sapientia(m): 11:35am On Feb 15, 2017
kaboninc:

Oga... i now get you. However, my faith in God is absolute. What amuses me is how someone that do not believe in God will come to point out contradictions in the Holy Bible and still want to be convinced by same Bible. The Holy Bible can be a collection of various story books to you but to me its spirit.

Seun can be happy that everyone can comment about christianity but you must believe in Allah to comment in muslim section. Maybe christians are second class or 5% in Nairaland.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is This The True Love Jesus Taught Or Just A Secret Cult Love? / Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims / The Lies Christian Fundamentalism Taught Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.