Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,746 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities (2867 Views)

Covenant University Increases Tuition For New Students / Varsity Waives Tuition For Students Of Religious Studies / Bishop Oyedepo Removes Tuition For Agricultural Sciences In Landmark University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by Alexbrain(m): 1:24pm On Feb 15, 2017
Macmoni:
till u die u cannot buy dah man hanki
What has buying hanki got to do with what is been said?
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by Alexbrain(m): 1:38pm On Feb 15, 2017
musicwriter:

Well, I don't know whether your GO would agree with your explanation, cause it doesn't sound to me like how Jesus Christ, the head of the church would've run a university. According to the profile of the man called Jesus in the Bible, the basis of the church and university enterprise, Jesus would've favored to plough the church earnings into the university and use it to give free education to the poorest people in the society who can't afford tuition fee for their children.
YOU are very correct. That's exactly what is expected of them.
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by greenmonk: 3:48pm On Feb 15, 2017
Statsocial:

I'm merely talking from the point of the member. Of course everyone must sacrifice but we must all understand that whatever good we do must be done in no expectation from whom we give to but from God. I've seen some churches collect and monitor tithers and then give them help when the need it while non tithers may not access such help, that is very wrong.

I now understand ur point but that is the situation we found ourselves where the difference between the spiritual and mundane are getting blurred. And not necessarily for positive aspect of life.

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by Nobody: 7:57pm On Feb 15, 2017
musicwriter:

Well, I don't know whether your GO would agree with your explanation, cause it doesn't sound to me like how Jesus Christ, the head of the church would've run a university. According to the profile of the man called Jesus in the Bible, the basis of the church and university enterprise, Jesus would've favored to plough the church earnings into the university and use it to give free education to the poorest people in the society who can't afford tuition fee for their children.
Jesus did not come to give education to ppl he came to die for sins and save ppl. Christian university is just one of the mission strategies but it I not core. If you plunge Church finance for the sake of a university what then happens to actual field mission. How do you fund your fund your missionaries, pastors and church workers and even expand into new territories?

I would like you to inquire about the foundational principle and reason for building church universities. It is not about academics, these universities are supposed to reform lost ppl and bring them back to Jesus. I attended CU and I knew quite a lot of students who had serious medical issues and I believe were brought to the university in belief that they would encounter Jesus and be healed. Christian university is about reformation and reconciliation. If churches wanted profits they would invest in telecom or oil and gas. The Church has expressed regret that members(indigent) wouldn't be able to pay for tuition but moving forward there would be new strategies on how to give scholarships. If your govt was responsible enough half of this tuition would have been reduced by supplying the university electricity but now the university must produce its own 24hr electricity at an ever increasing cost which gulps a lot of money from student school fees.
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by musicwriter(m): 8:30pm On Feb 15, 2017
Statsocial:

Jesus did not come to give education to ppl he came to die for sins and save ppl. Christian university is just one of the mission strategies but it I not core. If you plunge Church finance for the sake of a university what then happens to actual field mission. How do you fund your fund your missionaries, pastors and church workers and even expand into new territories?

I would like you to inquire about the foundational principle and reason for building church universities. It is not about academics, these universities are supposed to reform lost ppl and bring them back to Jesus. I attended CU and I knew quite a lot of students who had serious medical issues and I believe were brought to the university in belief that they would encounter Jesus and be healed. Christian university is about reformation and reconciliation. If churches wanted profits they would invest in telecom or oil and gas. The Church has expressed regret that members(indigent) wouldn't be able to pay for tuition but moving forward there would be new strategies on how to give scholarships. If your govt was responsible enough half of this tuition would have been reduced by supplying the university electricity but now the university must produce its own 24hr electricity at an ever increasing cost which gulps a lot of money from student school fees.

Your first paragraph looks a kind of self-defeating. If "Jesus did not come to give education" then, the church should have no business with establishing universities.

However, I think Jesus actually came to give education, but not a for-profit classroom kind of education. Jesus was indeed giving free education when he was enlightening humanity on how we can all live in peace when we love our neigbors as ourselves, when we do what is right, when we become less greedy, when we give to the poor, e.t.c and how we can achieve peace of mind by believing in his ideals.

If the school is helping reform drug addicts, students and community in other ways, that's exactly what they should be doing, because Jesus have a record of doing same. If indeed the GOs believe in the ideals of Jesus, then they should do more to help the needy. The money to fund all that is the money paid as tithes and offerings by the church members. I would even advise that they create foundations to accept donations. And if I come across such foundation, I will donate, as long as the money is being used to give free education to the needy.
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by Nobody: 8:40pm On Feb 15, 2017
musicwriter:

Your first paragraph looks a kind of self-defeating. If "Jesus did not come to give education" then, the church should have no business with establishing universities.

However, I think Jesus actually came to give education, but not a for-profit classroom kind of education. Jesus was indeed giving free education when he was enlightening humanity on how we can all live in peace when we love our neigbors as ourselves, when we do what is right, when we become less greedy, when we give to the poor, e.t.c and how we can achieve peace of mind by believing in his ideals.

If the school is helping reform drug addicts, students and community in other ways, that's exactly what they should be doing, because Jesus have a record of doing same. If indeed the GOs believe in the ideals of Jesus, then they should do more to help the needy. The money to fund all that is the money paid as tithes and offerings by the church members. I would even advise that they create foundations to accept donations. And if I come across such foundation, I will donate, as long as the money is being used to give free education to the needy.
Sessw
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by Nobody: 8:42pm On Feb 15, 2017
musicwriter:

Sorry I meant academic education and i agree with your second paragraph

(1) (2) (Reply)

ABS Awka Shares Academic Result Of SS1 Student And It's Shocking / 50 Destinations On Earth That Has Not Been Discovered / So No Hope For People That Score 180 N Uniben?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.