Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,788 members, 7,820,760 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:04 PM

Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities (2866 Views)

Covenant University Increases Tuition For New Students / Varsity Waives Tuition For Students Of Religious Studies / Bishop Oyedepo Removes Tuition For Agricultural Sciences In Landmark University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by Nobody: 12:33pm On Feb 14, 2017
Interviewer
SOME PEOPLE BELIEVE FAITH-BASED UNIVERSITIES CHARGE HIGH TUITION THAT SOME OF THEIR MEMBERS CAN'T EVEN AFFORD...…

Bishop Oyedepo
''They should bring the comparison. You know people talk all kinds of things. Compare what they pay here and there and what those payments cover. The rate of power consumption in the hostels alone is out of this world. All we need to juxtapose this is that they should rent the room and pay for electricity and they would pay ten times the amount. People should just sit down and find out what exactly they are paying for.

The church has not drawn anything from Covenant University since inception in 12 years. But this year, the church reserves about N1.6bn stakes in its development. So, it’s not a business, it’s a service platform. In every nation of the world, the government subsidises education to all the stakeholders, not in this country, not a dime has ever crossed from government to any private university in Nigeria. And ask those who are in it how much profit they are making, they would explain to you how it has been wonderful to pay staff salaries and keep the system running.

Move to the next country where people rush to study, look at how much they pay and what they get for it. Whether they have teachers or not doesn’t matter. But every visiting professor here takes more than N1m. We are not talking about top individuals, Nobel Laureates and others. So, it’s where we find ourselves and we want to make a difference, and we must make a difference. I want to believe that the private universities are doing the best they can. Ask the federal universities how they get their allocations, what they calculate to train a child out of the university.

Ask them what it is and ask them who subsidises for private universities. Most of them don’t have any equipment whatsoever. There is no engineering equipment you are looking for that you won’t find here, bought brand new. If the government is not accepting responsibility, all we can do is to do the best we can to get these children trained, but at a cheaper cost than they do and with greater quality than they have. Those who cannot afford it can go to government institutions and if they are committed, they will still come out with good results.''

https://web.facebook.com/444807728996437/photos/a.445141538963056.1073741828.444807728996437/1012312985579239/?type=3

lalasticlala Myndd44 abeg move this to front page

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by Epositive(m): 12:39pm On Feb 14, 2017
that's mah G.O.... end of story
#winner #mycaseisdifferent #positivevibes

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by Nobody: 12:57pm On Feb 14, 2017
Epositive:
that's mah G.O.... end of story

#winner
#mycaseisdifferent
#positivevibes
As a pastor once said ''there are 3 records, one is of Heaven, the other of Hell and the last of Humanity. of all three the most flawed is the record of humanity'' we see little, we know little yet we set ourselves as judges.
May God forgive Nigerian Christians sha, It's Christians that are persecuting the Church today by criticizing ignorantly. There are many sides to a story. I know it was glaring that LFC subsidizes education but am glad he has finally talked about it.

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by Epositive(m): 1:11pm On Feb 14, 2017
Statsocial:

As a pastor once said ''there are 3 records, one is of Heaven, the other of Hell and the last of Humanity. of all three the most flawed is the record of humanity'' we see little, we know little yet we set ourselves as judges.
May God forgive Nigerian Christians sha, It's Christians that are persecuting the Church today by criticizing ignorantly. There are many sides to a story. I know it was glaring that LFC subsidizes education but am glad he has finally talked about it.

Exactly! i'm glad he cleared the air tho, the funniest part of this issue is that 80% of the criticizers still can't afford the price if reduced by 50%...you see,these medieval critics are critically good in criticizing(especially nigerians), it's more like an addiction.. mind-rehab is urgently needed. i hope they'll change for good sha if not better...

#positivity
#positivevibes
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by Nobody: 1:33pm On Feb 14, 2017
Epositive:

Exactly! i'm glad he cleared the air tho, the funniest part of this issue is that 80% of the criticizers still can't afford the price if reduced by 50%...you see,these medieval critics are critically good in criticizing(especially nigerians), it's more like an addiction.. mind-rehab is urgently needed. i hope they'll change for good sha if not better...

#positivity
#positivevibes
True! reminds me of the Judas saga with Jesus over expensive perfume, such hypocrisy. I understand why unbelievers are having a nervous shutdown because of Church unis because they feel its a threat and they discern that in a short while Quality education in Nigeria would only be available in Church unis and many of their Children would encounter Jesus while getting good education. As for my fellow Christians criticizing in ignorance i hope they plug into what God is doing. One sector has been subdued for Jesus, six more to go! The media is next!

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by Epositive(m): 2:20pm On Feb 14, 2017
Statsocial:

True! reminds me of the Judas saga with Jesus over expensive perfume, such hypocrisy. I understand why unbelievers are having a nervous shutdown because of Church unis because they feel its a threat and they discern that in a short while Quality education in Nigeria would only be available in Church unis and many of their Children would encounter Jesus while getting good education. As for my fellow Christians criticizing in ignorance i hope they plug into what God is doing. One sector has been subdued for Jesus, six more to go! The media is next!

"encounter jesus while getting good education" EPIC!!!.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by Jeel: 2:23pm On Feb 14, 2017
OK na
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by Nobody: 4:35pm On Feb 14, 2017
Lalasticlala ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

- Acrobatic defence by the Bishop
- Was there no feasibility study before the construction of institution?

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by AngelicBeing: 4:37pm On Feb 14, 2017
cool
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by MicKaro: 4:52pm On Feb 14, 2017
As long as fools are proportionally the largest groups in this country, this guys words will always be believed.

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by Nobody: 5:05pm On Feb 14, 2017
Next!
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by seankay(m): 6:08pm On Feb 14, 2017
MicKaro:
As long as fools are proportionally the largest groups in this country, this guys words will always be believed.

You nailed it bro. Scammers masquerading as god of Men

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by Macmoni(m): 6:54pm On Feb 14, 2017
seankay:

till u die u cannot buy dah man hanki

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by thinkdip(m): 6:54pm On Feb 14, 2017
Simple and straight,
if you can't pay the fee go to Lasu and pay 250,000 per session.
At least its a government school

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by musicwriter(m): 7:59pm On Feb 14, 2017
I have no issues with his charging outrageous fees in his university. The only thing I don't understand is why he collects tution fee from his church members in a university built with their tithes and offering money.

"Those who cannot afford it can go to government institutions and if they are committed, they will still come out with good results.''

However, the above advise in bold is actually a good one. I can assure you no matter how bad the government schools, if you're a serious student who knows why you're in school, you'll still come out in flying colors. As a matter of fact, you could do better in a government school than those in private schools, as I said "if you know what you're doing". When I was in school I studied Geography and History outside of the school curriculum and without a teacher, because we didn't have Geography or History teacher in our community school. I sat for Geography during my WAEC and got "credit".
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by Damoxy(m): 8:13pm On Feb 14, 2017
seankay:

U just want to make noise

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by BodePolScience: 8:16pm On Feb 14, 2017
you can get the best education whether you pay 20,000 or 200,000 or 2,000 000 per annum. Its all bother on personal doggedness, development and tenacity. Some need to be spoonfed, some need to be coerced either implicitly or explicitly before they can get or take in quality education while some are self motivated and just pant after knowledge by all means. That's why good successes smile to people irrespective of their background.
Bottom line is that, if you have the means or the wherewithal pay for the best education and not having sufficient resources should never be an excuse for not having the best education.
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by sammyscholar(m): 11:05pm On Feb 14, 2017
BodePolScience:
you can get the best education whether you pay 20,000 or 200,000 or 2,000 000 per annum. Its all bother on personal doggedness, development and tenacity. Some need to be spoonfed, some need to be coerced either implicitly or explicitly before they can get or take in quality education while some are self motivated and just pant after knowledge by all means. That's why good successes smile to people irrespective of their background.
Bottom line is that, if you have the means or the wherewithal pay for the best education and not having sufficient resources should never be an excuse for not having the best education.
I love this statement.

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by Nobody: 11:23pm On Feb 14, 2017
musicwriter:
I have no issues with his charging outrageous fees in his university. The only thing I don't understand is why he collects tution fee from his church members in a university built with their tithes and offering money.

"Those who cannot afford it can go to government institutions and if they are committed, they will still come out with good results.''

However, the above advise in bold is actually a good one. I can assure you no matter how bad the government schools, if you're a serious student who knows why you're in school, you'll still come out in flying colors. As a matter of fact, you could do better in a government school than those in private schools, as I said "if you know what you're doing". When I was in school I studied Geography and History outside of the school curriculum and without a teacher, because we didn't have Geography or History teacher in our community school. I sat for Geography during my WAEC and got "credit".
No matter what help you give to anyone in Christendom you must give it to everyone or nobody at all. You don't segregate tithe paying members from non tithe paying members, you don't segregate church members from non church members. The idea that paying tithe should give u a special access to church resources is an ungodly and unscriptural one. The Church is entitled to your tithe, you don't give tithes but you pay it. It is not a contribution but a sacrifice. You don't give it to receive material blessing from ur church
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by TheVictorious(m): 11:27pm On Feb 14, 2017
Keneking:
Lalasticlala ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

- Acrobatic defence by the Bishop
- Was there no feasibility study before the construction of institution?

What do you mean was there no feasibility, common sense should tell you it's not profit oriented!

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by seankay(m): 11:48pm On Feb 14, 2017
Macmoni:

till u die u cannot buy dah man hanki
See this gullible mugu
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by seankay(m): 11:49pm On Feb 14, 2017
Damoxy:

U just want to make noise
Like your scammer G.O dey make noise every Sunday?
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by musicwriter(m): 12:06am On Feb 15, 2017
Statsocial:

No matter what help you give to anyone in Christendom you must give it to everyone or nobody at all. You don't segregate tithe paying members from non tithe paying members, you don't segregate church members from non church members. The idea that paying tithe should give u a special access to church resources is an ungodly and unscriptural one. The Church is entitled to your tithe, you don't give tithes but you pay it. It is not a contribution but a sacrifice. You don't give it to receive material blessing from ur church

Really?

That sounds like a scam to me. They only give but can't get anything in return? That explains why the GOs can afford many private jets and live as flamboyant as they want.

Who do the GOs pay their own tithe to?
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by DrayZee: 12:42am On Feb 15, 2017
musicwriter:

To your first paragraph. I still don't understand why you're complaining, when the members are not.
So you think it's every single person in Winner's that contributed towards the building of the schools. So if I decide to join Winner's today, then I should be automatically eligible to free education. That's rubbish.
Well, you're wrong. He didn't use tithes and offerings. There was a special contribution package towards the setting up of the schools.

Besides all that, he gives scholarships to them. That's enough.

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by greenmonk: 6:59am On Feb 15, 2017
Statsocial:

What is a sacrifice? Who is exempted from sacrifice? The church, the school or the individual?
Using excuses to justify our actions.
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by ugybabe2020(f): 8:44am On Feb 15, 2017
musicwriter:

Really?

That sounds like a scam to me. They only give but can't get anything in return? That explains why the GOs can afford many private jets and live as flamboyant as they want.

Who do the GOs pay their own tithe to?
I have a friend in private University he is paying up to a million naira in a session but that money covers everything, feeding, accommodation, textbooks, nothing else is paid outside school fees. But am studying in uniport paying 45k as school fees, I pay for accommodation, textbooks, assignment, departmental dues, transportation to classes, I pay for every practical, feed myself, the list can go on and on. Do the math yourself
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by musicwriter(m): 8:54am On Feb 15, 2017
DrayZee:

To your first paragraph. I still don't understand why you're complaining, when the members are not.
So you think it's every single person in Winner's that contributed towards the building of the schools. So if I decide to join Winner's today, then I should be automatically eligible to free education. That's rubbish.
Well, you're wrong. He didn't use tithes and offerings. There was a special contribution package towards the setting up of the schools.

Besides all that, he gives scholarships to them. That's enough.

So, every question or contrary opinion amounts to a complaint? I wasn't complaining about anything. As a matter of fact, I said "I have no issues with his outrageous charges", but only don't understand why his church members pay as well.

Unfortunately, your answer didn't answer anything. If he can't give free education to new members, he can give to old members who've been in the church for say; 3 years or 5 years or 7 years.

And if you argue his church members contributed nothing to setting up the university, I'll like to know:-

How wealthy was your GO when he opened his first church?

Where did your GO get money to build churches everywhere?

Where did your GO get money to buy an aircraft?

How does your GO make money?
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by musicwriter(m): 9:05am On Feb 15, 2017
ugybabe2020:
I have a friend in private University he is paying up to a million naira in a session but that money covers everything, feeding, accommodation, textbooks, nothing else is paid outside school fees. But am studying in uniport paying 45k as school fees, I pay for accommodation, textbooks, assignment, departmental dues, transportation to classes, I pay for every practical, feed myself, the list can go on and on. Do the math yourself

I think I said "I have no issues with his outrageous charges". Again, I don't care how much anybody charge in his/her university. The only thing I don't understand is why church members who pay tithes and offering in a church owned by the same university would also have to pay tuition in a university built with their tithes and offering money.
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by Nobody: 10:42am On Feb 15, 2017
greenmonk:

What is a sacrifice? Who is exempted from sacrifice? The church, the school or the individual?
Using excuses to justify our actions.
I'm merely talking from the point of the member. Of course everyone must sacrifice but we must all understand that whatever good we do must be done in no expectation from whom we give to but from God. I've seen some churches collect and monitor tithers and then give them help when the need it while non tithers may not access such help, that is very wrong.
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by Nobody: 10:59am On Feb 15, 2017
musicwriter:

I think I said "I have no issues with his outrageous charges". Again, I don't care how much anybody charge in his/her university. The only thing I don't understand is why church members who pay tithes and offering in a church owned by the same university would also have to pay tuition in a university built with their tithes and offering money.
And as we would continually say the tuition has been subsidized for everyone. If you would read the interview again he said clearly that the Church reserved 1.6 billion for CU. If that subsidy wasn't there the CU tuition would surpass that of Afe Babalola uni and even equate with that of AUN or BAZE. The issue of tithers is a no issue. Almost all undergraduates of CU whether Living Faith members or not pay tithes to the Living Faith Church. Does that mean we should all get special subsidy the next year? As it is right now Church unis are partially independent of the church because of tuition fees. if u tk the tuition away they become completely dependent on the Church. If Church universities must then be funded with Church money then each family in the church must be prepared to pay monthly support for the university which frankly will not happen because some don't even pay tithe to begin with. Do not overflog this tithers issue. Every true Christian supports the Church in one way or the other but we don't go about being entitled for it. Many tithe to Church and still send their Children to the church universities. Finally, any Christian that is angry about this is free to stop tithing shikena
Re: Oyedepo Responds To Criticism Of High Tuition For Living Faith Universities by musicwriter(m): 11:26am On Feb 15, 2017
Statsocial:

And as we would continually say the tuition has been subsidized for everyone. If you would read the interview again he said clearly that the Church reserved 1.6 billion for CU. If that subsidy wasn't there the CU tuition would surpass that of Afe Babalola uni and even equate with that of AUN or BAZE. The issue of tithers is a no issue. Almost all undergraduates of CU whether Living Faith members or not pay tithes to the Living Faith Church. Does that mean we should all get special subsidy the next year? As it is right now Church unis are partially independent of the church because of tuition fees. if u tk the tuition away they become completely dependent on the Church. If Church universities must then be funded with Church money then each family in the church must be prepared to pay monthly support for the university which frankly will not happen because some don't even pay tithe to begin with. Do not overflog this tithers issue. Every true Christian supports the Church in one way or the other but we don't go about being entitled for it. Many tithe to Church and still send their Children to the church universities. Finally, any Christian that is angry about this is free to stop tithing shikena

Well, I don't know whether your GO would agree with your explanation, cause it doesn't sound to me like how Jesus Christ, the head of the church would've run a university. According to the profile of the man called Jesus in the Bible, the basis of the church and university enterprise, Jesus would've favored to plough the church earnings into the university and use it to give free education to the poorest people in the society who can't afford tuition fee for their children.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

IJMB Centre In Lagos. Form Is On Sale, Don't Miss Out / Anybody Heard About Chritwealth University / Apply For New Latest Scholarship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.