Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,232 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

How I Got An Editorial Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How I Got An Editorial Job (461 Views)

How I Got A Job For An Unadvertised Position / How ‘do You Know Who I Am?’ Got An Army Officer And His Wife In Trouble In Abuja / "How I Got Addicted To Eating Books" - Johnspeak Uwangue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How I Got An Editorial Job by sundayoluwatimi(m): 6:27pm On Feb 14, 2017
How I Got The Job

In late November 2016, I was on a public bus enroute to Ibadan. Seated in the front, I realized that the passenger beside me was editing the manuscript of a book. Somehow, I saw something that wasn’t correct in the manuscript with him so I pointed it out to him. We got talking. Bolaji turned out to be an expert in the use of information and geospatial technologies in the real estate industry.
We had a long discussion throughout the journey. Bolaji’s work has taken him to a couple of African countries. He advised me on how to maximise the use of my social media platforms. I told him about how I have edited books in the past for people. I equally told him about my published works in the dailies. I shared my last published work in the Guardian newspaper with him. We exchanged contacts too. As we parted ways in Ibadan, he told me we would still have need to work together.

Fast forward to January 2017. We met again and this time too, we were to journey in the bus from TBS to Ikorodu. He told me of how he had contacted an editor to edit his manuscript for him but the editor didn’t reply the e-mail he sent her until after nearly two months. He lost interest in giving her the job therefore. According to him, no one else came to his mind for the editing job but me.
He sent me the manuscript and I had access to it on Monday, January 30th. I told him I would send the completed work on or before February 13th, that is, in two weeks’ time. To cut the story short, I did a thorough editing and on the 9th day which was less than the 14-day deadline, I sent the completed work of 129 pages to him.

The question is: How do you make yourself one that provides solutions to problems?

1. Learn a skill!

It is amazing that people complain of lack of job when they don’t care to equip themselves with any skill at all. Money is earned when value is added. It is important to possess, at least, a skill in order to be relevant. My ability to edit manuscripts correctly is as a result of learning and giving attention to details. I didn’t study English Language but I just make sure I learn the right thing. During my postgraduate studies, my thesis supervisor was a very thorough lecturer. He would spot the minutest error in my research work. I wasn’t just correcting my work as he marked them out, I made sure I got the message he was passing across by using his red pen on my work! To get that job, you should be equipping yourself with needed skills. You just need to learn.

2. Sell your skill; serve with it

You need to tell people what you are capable of doing. You don’t learn a skill only to keep it in your mind. When the opportunity arises, sell your skill to people. A perfect example of such opportunity was when I saw Bolaji editing his own work. I told him I do that well.
Then, you may also be ready to serve your skill to others freely. In the past, I have had to serve my skill freely to others. I had edited three manuscripts for different authors without charging a dime. This is volunteer services to others. The essence of volunteer service is to give you the opportunity for you to horn your skill and to build your profile. Serve your skill freely to others in a dish. It will be of good help to you.

3. Deliver on your job

When you get a paid assignment, you need to be spotless in your delivery of service. Assess the job carefully from the start and give a realistic deadline for the completion of the task. Provide regular updates to your client and ensure you amaze your client with a fantastic service. He will serve as your advert means. He will tell others about you and with this, you are in for another task soon. Just deliver!
How did I finish Bolaji’s job even before the deadline and despite my regular work?
I spend an average of two to three hours to and fro work daily on the convenient BRT bus. I used this time to finish up this task. Having set a deadline, I ensured I worked within this journey time to complete it. This wasn’t enough. The need to be excellent and not slothful in business was a driving force. When I told my client I had just 9 pages left to edit 9 days after I started the work, he said I was a superman. But I just knew I was doing a normal thing. You can make excellence a normal thing.
I believe this piece has taught you something valuable.

Thank you.

Vessel Anani Sunday K. (VASK)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Got An Editorial Job by delugadou(m): 7:29pm On Feb 14, 2017
Thanks for posting. I have editorial skills too. Can u help me get a job?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Omg Entrepreneurs Enter Here O, This Nigerian Guy Is Going Places. / Wow! Nigerian Man From Imo State Built ‘made In Nigeria’ Car (photos) / Tutu Fellow Goriola Erogbogbo Selected For U.S. Leadership Programme.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.