Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,209 members, 7,953,774 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:36 AM

FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards (25531 Views)

SIM Verification Exposes One Person With 57 Registered Sim Cards In One Network / FG Directs NCC To Block Over 9 Million Unregistered Sim Cards / Future Of SIM Cards: The eSIM, What Is It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by Arsenalholic(m): 7:33am On Feb 16, 2017
...This government truly need help!

They just wake up from their stupor and strat pulling "policies" out of their butt crack all in the name of we are "working"

You want to stop something like that, have you sensitized the public? No.

Majority of the people who do this sim registrations in the open, are Nigerians who do not read the newspapers or even visit online news portals...

So how will they know something like this is going on?

And then you want to collect 5million from them for "flouting" the order... Oga, you must be very mad! If they had 5m do you think they will still be in this country raining down curses on you people everyday?

Abeg make una swerve

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by Nobody: 7:34am On Feb 16, 2017
Ok.

God will help us survive
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by Nobody: 7:35am On Feb 16, 2017
Lol. And I still registered a new sim card in a kiosk late last December. Interesting.
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by saintdennis(m): 7:39am On Feb 16, 2017
Too many people here are narrow-minded... maybe cos of poverty
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by pelumi10: 7:41am On Feb 16, 2017
There goes some people source of income...smh
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by saintdennis(m): 7:42am On Feb 16, 2017
Arsenalholic:
...This government truly need help!

They just wake up from their stupor and strat pulling "policies" out of their butt crack all in the name of we are "working"

You want to stop something like that, have you sensitized the public? No.

Majority of the people who do this sim registrations in the open, are Nigerians who do not read the newspapers or even visit online news portals...

So how will they know something like this is going on?

And then you want to collect 5million from them for "flouting" the order... Oga, you must be very mad! If they had 5m do you think they will still be in this country raining down curses on you people everyday?

Abeg make una swerve

Is it FG's job to sensitise the citizens?? Or the operators??

I can bet my house fayose is your mentor
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by curvilicious: 7:42am On Feb 16, 2017
This govt is basically out to see the pple suffer
Why not ban certain monies paid to senators and the rest?
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by curvilicious: 7:44am On Feb 16, 2017
Ioannes:
Lol. And I still registered a new sim card in a kiosk late last December. Interesting.

The ban began February 1st 2017

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by hedonistic: 7:45am On Feb 16, 2017
Very thoughtless policy as usual. Years ago, we were told that the whole idea of SIM registration was necessary to curb kidnapping. But of course that didn't happen. The rate of kidnapping has more than quadrupled since then...

Now they're talking about registering in a controlled environment - disregarding the massive logistical problems associated with that. Who has time to waste queuing in one stupid "controlled environment" just because he wants to register a new SIM card?

It's incredible that these fools haven't studied the trend of kidnapping to see that registering SIM cards has ZERO impact on it. Have you ever seen a kidnapper who uses his personal line to negotiate for ransom? Kidnappers typically use the phone lines of their victims to demand ransom and conduct their communications with victims' families. So how does SIM registration help in that situation?

I really tire for Nigeria. No systematic thinking, no bright ideas, no problem solving decision-making. Only nzogbu nzogbu zombie-style policy making all the time.

5 Likes

Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by bsop: 7:45am On Feb 16, 2017
Nice idea.
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by snowden9(m): 7:47am On Feb 16, 2017
Sad. I know how much I made in a month doing this.
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by Nobody: 7:50am On Feb 16, 2017
curvilicious:

The ban began February 1st 2017

Oh I see. Thanks for clarifying. Was thinking I missed being arrested by a hair's breadth. Lol.
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by hardon1(m): 7:50am On Feb 16, 2017
So in a place like burutu, a riverine community in delta where network providers dont have their office, they expect people to travel across water and land spending up to 5000 to and fro warri Just to register or retreive a sim of 150.
Sombody should pls give NCC sence that there are other solutions to this

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by thesicilian: 7:54am On Feb 16, 2017
Mologi:
Fg crazy

Buhari crazy

the OP that shared this.... crazy

nairaland crazy

seun follow suit....

do you want hunger to kill those small boys that goes around registering Sim?
You are crazy. Your argument is akin to saying we should allow kidnappers to continue their business so that hunger will not kill them. Did you not read the dangers of open registration?
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by Respecter(f): 7:54am On Feb 16, 2017
Iam highlhy disappointed with this govt of lies,they have left substance and was chasing shadows.A govt that does not care about the welfare of the poor masses.
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by Nobody: 7:58am On Feb 16, 2017
@House we should look at this from a security point of view. It is unsafe for both subscribers and telecom operators to have uncontrolled system of SIM registration( Open spaces and kiosks) considering the high risk of identity theft and the ability of unscrupulous elements to hack into the SIM registrations data to alter SIM registration details to avoid being traced.

One thing we need to realise is that uncontrolled SIM registration transmits the registration data through WIFI to the GSM companies' database and most times the security protocol for WIFI isn't that secure which makes your data vulnerable to hacking and makes the data easy to alter and tamper with. If it is done in a controlled environment, the details are directly kept within the GSM's network database which is highly secured and controlled and any breach in the database would be taken seriously as this affects the integrity of the GSM network provider.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by psucc(m): 8:03am On Feb 16, 2017
Thus is a dumb move.

Knowing where the sim is registered doesn't in anyway check crime. Rather the complete identity of the registrant will do.

If one registers in Akwa Ibom and the next morning he is Kaduna state for a criminal mission and probably he is neither from both states nor region. How would that help?
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by Nobody: 8:10am On Feb 16, 2017
This govt. Is plain d.umb n demonic!
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by tolguy(m): 8:13am On Feb 16, 2017
Mologi:
Fg crazy

Buhari crazy

nairaland crazy

seun follow suit....

idiot
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by adedayo2000: 8:24am On Feb 16, 2017
No problem boys go survive anyhow anyway

But FG should remember that there is God ooo cry cry cry
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by tosyne2much(m): 8:30am On Feb 16, 2017
It's a good move just that it will add to people's problems
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by Psoul(m): 8:32am On Feb 16, 2017
Mologi:
Fg crazy

Buhari crazy

nairaland crazy

seun follow suit....

So because they are making living out of the registration, the the government should overlook the inherent crime associated with the exercise.
Do u know that in those open centers do register ppl with wrong names, wrong address and even without their pics. They may not even request from you anything for identification, like ID Card, Drivers License, Voters Card etc. Registrations done at the Network Provider's designated points can easily be traced and the person that did the registration can be traced. With this measure, the person doing the registration will enforce and insist that all security documents are provided b4 registering the SIM Card.

Pls we must not condemn all moves by government. Some are moves at the right direction.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by SalamRushdie: 8:34am On Feb 16, 2017
Do they realise a lot of youths earn a living by selling and registering Sims and the process is even very hard to compromise
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by jeffoe(m): 8:38am On Feb 16, 2017
No
talk2archy:
Federal Govt is a bastard. Instead of making life easier for Nigerians but they are always after the hungry ones trying to make ends meet. There are a lot of ways to check crime rate. God will punish all of them.
and what better ways do u suggest.
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by SalamRushdie: 8:40am On Feb 16, 2017
Psoul:

So because they are making living out of the registration, the the government should overlook the inherent crime associated with the exercise.
Do u know that in those open centers do register ppl with wrong names, wrong address and even without their pics. They may not even request from you anything for identification, like ID Card, Drivers License, Voters Card etc. Registrations done at the Network Provider's designated points can easily be traced and the person that did the registration can be traced. With this measure, the person doing the registration will enforce and insist that all security documents are provided b4 registering the SIM Card.

Pls we must not condemn all moves by government. Some are moves at the right direction.

But it's left for the software being used to flag out discrepancies because most people have more than 2 lines and wouldn't have registered all with fake name s... Govt should have weighed the benefits against the losses because in this time of recession it losses would likely outweigh the benefits just like going after Tompolo because of 13billion naira cost Nigeria to lose
Over a 100 billion dollars ..we need to start thinking of short term and long term implication of every decision
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by UncutSk(m): 8:47am On Feb 16, 2017
so I should go and join the long queue at mtn office, you must be kidding me
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by airminem(f): 9:00am On Feb 16, 2017
I Oppose This Attempt By The NCC
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by Nobody: 9:14am On Feb 16, 2017
Mologi:
Fg crazy

Buhari crazy

nairaland crazy

seun follow suit....

We need people in farming and other ventures! How much do you think those guys make?
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by Psoul(m): 9:16am On Feb 16, 2017
SalamRushdie:

But it's left for the software being used to flag out discrepancies because most people have more than 2 lines and wouldn't have registered all with fake name s... Govt should have weighed the benefits against the losses because in this time of recession it losses would likely outweigh the benefits just like going after Tompolo because of 13billion naira cost Nigeria to lose
Over a 100 billion dollars ..we need to start thinking of short term and long term implication of every decision

Well spoken, but i still beliv u may not really understand what u are saying. Have u ever heard of a multiplier effect of an action? Well, it means how one action can lead to anoda and anoda leads to anoda in a kind of chain action.

Well, let me still break it down for u. If i have a criminal intent in registering my line, I will register it and probably give the guy N500 for registering me illegally. I will go out and use the phone line to scam ppl, I will get involved in kidnapping, use the line to demand for ransom, The line will be reported to Police, They will put in all effort to trace the owner of the line to no avail. The wrong name and address used may coincidentally fall to be anoda innocent man. Police will arrest him, torture and detain him. He may be a bread winner of his family, His family may be devastated. D man in detention may fall sick. Even when certified not guilty, some ppl around may still be seeing him as a kidnapper. This is the multiplier effect of the paltry N500 daily living the man registering the SIM card is making.

You also talked about the software been able to flag up discrepancies. Anoda good idea. But we also have what is called Proactive Action and Preventive Measures. If you are a security man, will u be more interested in preventing crime from happening or letting it happen because u think u have a capable hand to fight it? I think a reasonable man will put in place all measures that will prevent or reduce its occurrence. So the ban tend to be preventive than letting it happen while waiting for the software to detect it.

Finally, u compared this with Tompolo issue. These two issues are parallel. But let us still take it from your point of view. This takes us back to the Multiplier effect. If the government was able to stop the issue when it was brewing up, the issue of losing N100m according to u would have been averted.

So my brother let us help government to help us generally and save us great danger in future.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by jasawa: 9:18am On Feb 16, 2017
Mologi:
Fg crazy

Buhari crazy

nairaland crazy

seun follow suit....

Ipob and childish comments are like 5&6
Re: FG Bans Open Registration Of SIM Cards by nkemjacob2(m): 9:21am On Feb 16, 2017
RIP MMM. common sim card wey dis small small boys take dey chop na dem wan cut... NAIJA

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Facebook Takes Down Billions Of Fake Accounts / Glo Newly Reduced 4.5GB Data Plan Price And It's Useable Both Day And Night. / Reply To "Why I Will Never Use Tecno Phones Again": My Opinion.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.