Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,458 members, 7,861,321 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 09:41 AM

How I Developed A Reading Habit - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How I Developed A Reading Habit (941 Views)

Joshua Agboola: Meet 9-year-old Who Developed A Website For His School. / 4 Ways To Create A Good Reading Habit. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Developed A Reading Habit by Nobody: 10:29am On Feb 16, 2017
My love for reading started at a very tender age, then, I would pick up anything that appears like a book and start talking to myself.

I would be looking at the book and just be talking like I was reading aloud to myself. That was because I saw older people do so.

Over time I developed a serious habit of reading, I cannot go a day without having to read a book, and I don’t have a specific book I read.

To me every book is worth reading, after all it was someone who wrote it and had the intention to satisfy the reader’s reading appetite!

Sometimes though, my reading habit turns out to be a bad one because, I saw myself reading at unusual places.

I could read while a meeting was going on, and sometimes read while classes were going on. I recall being beaten severally by my teacher for that.

The major reason I enjoy the habit of reading is that it provides me with information and knowledge which I seek on a daily basis!

Maybe reading runs in the family too or it’s hereditary because, I grew up seeing my parents reading all the time.

My dad loved reading autobiographies a lot, and he read quite a number of them. My mum on the other hand enjoyed reading fictions.

Whenever I feel bored, I just opened my mum’s book shelve and pick up a book to read. She had a lot of African Writers Series.

It was from then I had the opportunity to read so many novels from the (AWS). I read books from Chinua Achebe, Ngugi wa Thiongo.

I also read from Buchi Emecheta, Cyprian Ekwensi, Mariama Ba and so on. They were uncountable that I read.

The more I read them, the more I yearned to read again and again. My love for reading grew so much it became a habit I couldn’t stop!

Every morning after my dad finished reading a newspaper, I will quickly grab it and start reading, the weirdest thing was that I would read page to page!

I don’t think I would read any newspaper page to page now, not when there is absolutely nothing to read about.

It got to a point when I thought my reading habits were unusual, because I would pick up even a primary school text book to read!

My reading habits has helped me gain a lot, through reading I developed the habit of writing. Today I’m a freelance writer.

I could write just about anything, I write for different kinds of people for different purposes, and I get rewarded for it!

There is a lot to gain from reading quality materials, the type of information you feed yourself with matters a lot.

Reading is so good that it acts as a therapy; you know the magic it plays when you are finding it difficult to sleep!

You can read to keep yourself from bad memories, reading acts as a companion too! With reading you can never be lonely.

In general, a good reading habit is all it takes to bridge any gap you have with lack of knowledge and vital information.

The more you read, the more you keep abreast of happenings around you, and that will depend on the kind of book you read though.

I have special likeness for detective novels; I read fictions too but from a renowned bestseller.

These days more and more people are finding it very hard to read, when you write a good article, only a few would read to the end!

They would complain it is too long and therefore didn't read, then they will rush to the comment section to comment on what they actually didn't read!

The earlier you developed a reading habit the better, there’s no better thing to pass on to your children than a good reading habit!

Source: http://www.chichiuncensored.com

1 Like

Re: How I Developed A Reading Habit by Janeyinspires(f): 11:50am On Feb 16, 2017
Reading your piece elicited memories that has shaped who I am today.
Going down memory:my love for reading(story books then) began when I was in primary 2.I could read as much story books that I can lay my hands on.Then,I only made friends with the kids who has story books,so that I can borrow it,lol....funny now.
During my secondary school days,the trend continued.I stayed awake most nights,because I have a book to return in the morning.Reading was fun.I could give up some things just to read.Each money I saved then,I used to buy novels to read.At a time,I made friends with a bookseller who gave me free access to his books.Through reading,I built my book of vocabs.I always have a dictionary and a jotter close-by,to pen down words.
My sojourn into the higher institution widened my reading scope.I read newspapers,mags,journals......
I take newspapers to school just to read;when a lecturer is yet to take up the class.My love for reading opened me up to research.I could research and research.It was pure bliss!I couldn't ask for more. I can read and I can write..Check me here http://janeygeoinspires.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Developed A Reading Habit by Sirmuel1(m): 12:15pm On Feb 16, 2017
thank you so much!

1 Like

Re: How I Developed A Reading Habit by SirdimayG(m): 2:24pm On Feb 16, 2017
I wish to be a good reader. But I usually sleep whenever m reading.

What am I to do??

Quote me anywhere for reasonable solution
Re: How I Developed A Reading Habit by Aminu212: 2:40pm On Feb 16, 2017
actually, I don't read content that is long like this. I usually skim. but yours, I read it word by word.
thanks op. nice write up. am really inspired to read.

1 Like

Re: How I Developed A Reading Habit by Nobody: 6:01pm On Feb 16, 2017
african reading habit is weak, we prefer picture speaks to writing speaks. so, until we develop our reading habit that our way of reasoning will change.
still trying to develop mine though.

1 Like

Re: How I Developed A Reading Habit by Nobody: 8:56am On Feb 17, 2017
Aminu212:
actually, I don't read content that is long like this. I usually skim. but yours, I read it word by word.
thanks op. nice write up. am really inspired to read.

Thanks a lot, I am glad I truly inspired you!

(1) (Reply)

The only way we can check our Jamb Result is at night / JAMB Set To Watch CCTV Records Video To Uncover Candidates Who Score High Mark / 2017/2018 Postgraduate: Igbinedion University Admission Form Now On Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.