Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,771 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! (6635 Views)

We Know Its Corporate Slavery, Yet We Stay / The Hard Truth About Your Salary / What Jobs Are Available For A Graduate Of Political Science (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by condomized: 9:14am On Dec 08, 2009
Salary jobs in Nigeria all amount to slavery. The theories of ''USE AND DISUSE'' and ''HIRE AND FIRE'' all apply. I think we deserve better than these as graduates. But the truth is,  ''The most successful men and women out there are ENTREPRENEURS!''
JIM OVIA of Zenith Bank is a business man; likewise many young and old successful people.
Who told you that you cant be bigger than all of them?
What is stopping you from ''waking up'' that ambitious spirit, that lies ''hidden'' deep inside you?
What is that thing that is ''weakening'' your spirit when you have a dream?
Lets trash it now or never. You can make it! Say Amen!
Start your own business now.
The starting size dont matter, its the ''start'' that counts.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by FunmyKemmy(f): 10:08am On Dec 08, 2009
Thanks so much for your post.  I as a person have been nursing the idea of setting up my own business right from the day I got my first letter of employment but the major problem on ground is getting a reliable and honest people to manage the business for me.  It is essential that one allows a new business gets a solid base before quiting one's job.  Useful tips are welcome.

Thanks.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by Nobody: 1:15pm On Dec 08, 2009
yeah, Thanks Condom.
And don't forget to check on me for your business plans as you start people.
www.protegesolution..com
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by koolchicco: 1:20pm On Dec 08, 2009
*signing in*
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by papagiddy(m): 1:26pm On Dec 08, 2009
yeah! infact working is slavery!!!
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by 4rexpalace: 1:31pm On Dec 08, 2009
yes i think salary work is slavery cos if you look at it you spend most of your productive lyf building another mans biz
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by mrofficial(m): 1:33pm On Dec 08, 2009
Be yourself oga, where you can leave anytime, close anytime. cheesy

you too can employ slaves grin
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by maclatunji: 1:41pm On Dec 08, 2009
FunmyKemmy:

Thanks so much for your post.  I as a person have been nursing the idea of setting up my own business right from the day I got my first letter of employment but the major problem on ground is getting a reliable and honest people to manage the business for me.  It is essential that one allows a new business gets a solid base before quiting one's job.  Useful tips are welcome.

Thanks.

I find it interesting that you said that. Actually, my problem is the lack of capital to start the business, and not lack of honest people to run the business.

@poster, you are absolutely right, modern day employment in Nigeria is more like Slavery rather than Contract of service.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by Akanbiedu(m): 1:48pm On Dec 08, 2009
FunmyKemmy:

Thanks.

You'll have to start anyhow. getting people to run the biz is part of being an enterpreneur. A lot of experience will come your way when you start. And looking for honest people might not be the best idea after all.

I know of a bizman that set up a branch office somewhere and put a branch manager there. at the end of the year they make a lot profit but evidence shows the manager keeps/steals part of the money. So the man decided to fire the manager. He got an honest man actually, very transparent and all that but you know what, at the end of the year, they made losses. The rule is to setup a self-checking system that makes it difficult to steal money and set targets for the managers.

This gives you a clear direction of your biz.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by daibatzu: 1:51pm On Dec 08, 2009
It's not slavery. slaves don't get paid
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by mrofficial(m): 1:54pm On Dec 08, 2009
daibatzu:

It's not slavery. slaves don't get paid

They only feed them, right? What else can you do with their salaries? think about the Nigeria of today's.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by Nobody: 2:25pm On Dec 08, 2009
Akanbi_edu:

You'll have to start anyhow. getting people to run the biz is part of being an enterpreneur. A lot of experience will come your way when you start. And looking for honest people might not be the best idea after all.

I know of a bizman that set up a branch office somewhere and put a branch manager there. at the end of the year they make a lot profit but evidence shows the manager keeps/steals part of the money. So the man decided to fire the manager. He got an honest man actually, very transparent and all that but you know what, at the end of the year, they made losses. The rule is to setup a self-checking system that makes it difficult to steal money and set targets for the managers.
This gives you a clear direction of your biz.

LOL at your story.
It shows that the Manager that is going to steal is going to work very hard so that their would be enough to steal
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by SeanT21(f): 2:35pm On Dec 08, 2009
You can always leave anytime U wish.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by DOAweb(m): 2:37pm On Dec 08, 2009
YES & NO

YES  - when u are been paid peanuts!
NO - If you earn a lot with good perks!
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by Deollord: 2:38pm On Dec 08, 2009
@Poster

Dear Employer,

I work in your organization and you dictate:

-The time I get out of bed
-The time I get to work
-The kind of clothes I put on
-The environment in which I work
-The time I should go for lunch
-My spending power vis-à-vis my lifestyle
-When I should go on vacation
-The number of hours I spend with my family
-The days I can visits my parents
-The time I can spend with my friends
-The kind of haircut and beards I must put on
-The kind of seminars and trainings I am allowed to partake in
-The kind of people I spend the greater part of my life with (you cage me with some strangers and call them my colleagues)
-When I am entitled to “improve my lifestyle” by increasing my income
-When I should think and what my dominant thoughts should be
-My geographical location and where I should reside
-The time I ought to be reasonable enough to jump in bed to sleep

And gosh! When I should even sleep with my girlfriend!

Anyway, I thank you for:

-A guaranteed monthly pay check to fend for my children, parents and siblings
-Guaranteed medicals for my family
-Opportunity to visit places I never thought I could visit on my own
-Putting me off the street and not being labeled as unemployed
-The prestige I have earned in my neighborhood
-The opportunity to meet people (colleague and superior) I ordinarily might not have met so easily on my own (my contacts)
-The insight to learn how a big organization like yours is being run
-The opportunity to build a capital base to start my own business
-The opportunity to study human behavior to enable me manage my future employees
-curbing my excesses especially my “boozing habit” but for the long hours I spent at work, I would have become an alcoholic
-The knowledge imparted in me when you send me on trainings
-The freebies that could have eroded my income; phone calls, internet access e.t.c
-The beautiful lady that sits close to me that I look forward to seeing everyday at work and who might eventually become my wife

At this point, I am confused; should I THANK YOU or CURSE YOU?
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by madamL(f): 2:42pm On Dec 08, 2009
I vowed that my 40th birthday must not meet me toiling for someone else and I summoned courage to leave when the ovation was high. It was rough, very rough initially. Today, the biz is paying school fees comfortably for the kids, feeding the family and leaving some cash for investing and expansion.

I don't understand why people wait to be kicked out. Banish fear and escape the slavery.

1 Like

Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by Pennywise(m): 2:44pm On Dec 08, 2009
@Dollard
All above terms and conditions also apply to the self employed. The difference here is that your immediate boss becomes MONEY.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by saydfact(m): 2:46pm On Dec 08, 2009
condomized:

Who told you that you cant be bigger than all of them?
What is stopping you from ''waking up'' that ambitious spirit, that lies ''hidden'' deep inside you?
What is that thing that is ''weakening'' your spirit when you have a dream?

I SEE U EXEMPTED YOURSELF FROM THE LIST, IF U'R AS BIG AS JIM OVIAH, U WONT AV TIME WASTING ON N.L , lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by Nezan(m): 3:20pm On Dec 08, 2009
@OP; You cant make money without enslaving yourself, boy, grow up.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by Ben13: 3:21pm On Dec 08, 2009
say-d-fact:

I SEE U EXEMPTED YOURSELF FROM THE LIST, IF U'R AS BIG AS JIM OVIAH, U WONT AV TIME WASTING ON N.L , lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed

he's only making a sense
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by mygladness: 3:27pm On Dec 08, 2009
The fear of the unknown heightens by the Nigerian hostile business environment makes some of us still wandering in the slavery camp call salary job where ones life is being controlled by another and where you are never expected to be rich no matter how attractive the pay is.
The truth is that there should be a stage in the life of someone when you need to set up and manage a business of your own.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by GTay(m): 3:34pm On Dec 08, 2009
I saw this Sticker pasted on the door of one professor in UniBen back in the days!

"My Boss is a Clown and the Wages he gives me are one of his Jokes"  shocked
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by saydfact(m): 3:37pm On Dec 08, 2009
Ben-10:

he's only making a sense

NOTHING STOPS HIM FROM SAYING, "WHAT IS STOPPING US FROM, ETC"
THE POSTER DEY FEEL BIG DEFINITELY.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by kaypinchi(m): 3:51pm On Dec 08, 2009
Salary jobs are no slavery. You have the free will to opt out.

Jobs are taken up for various reasons-

for work experience- in the medical  & management fields,
    for skills acquisition- in engineering,
    a calling- the work of God and charity,
    for personal growth- music and the arts, teaching
    etc.
    etc.

What you do after achieving your reason is key.
Remember Maslow's theory of motivation- achieve one move to the next.

We cannot all be Entrepreneurs, we still need people, not robots to do some of the basic required work.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by Vuitton(m): 4:24pm On Dec 08, 2009
madam L:

I vowed that my 40th birthday must not meet me toiling for someone else and I summoned courage to leave when the ovation was high. It was rough, very rough initially. Today, the biz is paying school fees comfortably for the kids, feeding the family and leaving some cash for investing and expansion.

I don't understand why people wait to be kicked out. Banish fear and escape the slavery.

Nice one Madam

Can you give a little insight to the kind of biz. Thanks smiley
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by madamL(f): 4:59pm On Dec 08, 2009
@ Vuitton

Food processing. Sachet water, bottled water, water in jars. Tough biz but a good one when you learn the ropes. People must drink water, even if they can't afford solid food so I must have demand daily.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by ezeike31: 5:17pm On Dec 08, 2009
Yes, it is pure slavery. Salary Job can restrict your movement,emotion,believe.Today life expectancy of Nigeria is 49 years because of salary Job(do you believe that people walk up 4.00am to work only to come back 10.00pm in the night, it is happening in Lagos because those people cannot afford house in Lek,Victoria Island or Ikey where there offices are Located those sub-human live in akimbo,joyrode,odium,Acton,Eba etc) Tell me how those people will become rich when they don't have time to know their real self or have covenant time with their creator. Tell me how they will know their purpose in life.
Serve yourself , be your own master.You can't be rich working for other people IE what your employer can never tell you.
Today, our education system teach us how to work for other people but not how other people will work for us IE why most educated men end up either average OR poor.I pray it won't be your portion.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by PurestBoy(m): 5:26pm On Dec 08, 2009
na by force to work?? foolish people
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by dolu2007(m): 6:36pm On Dec 08, 2009
As long as you receive salary from someone or some company, u are still a slave to that individual or company.

[size=18pt]www9jakonnectDOTcom[/size]

Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by face3t: 6:45pm On Dec 08, 2009
i think what we have done is enough. we should not just talk about modern slavery if there is nothing we can do about it. if there is anything we can do about it then is when we have the right to criticize salary jobs but if we don't,  what will u tell a graduate that finished from sch and five yrs after he is still looking for job, or the guy with all the wonderful ideas but no start-up capital. i have what i can do in my own world and that is what i am doing.
if u are interested or u know anybody that is interested in having his own buz, simply send a mail to me on face234t@yahoo.com
this could be d beginning of ur wonderful end. u know it is said that d end justify d means, it is not how well u begin but how good u end that matters. give me a try

face3t cool
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by Singular: 7:14pm On Dec 08, 2009
Not really if everyone had 'their own business' who would you employ in your own business.
Besides, I am your boss and you are my boss because if I don't buy whatever you sell you will rundown and vice versa. Just live ya life and enjoy Mr oga
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by ochukoccna: 8:00pm On Dec 08, 2009
mygladness:

The truth is that there should be a stage in the life of someone when you need to set up and manage a business of your own.  
Exactly!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do You Know You Can Learn all these for 2k on quickbook instead of 50k? / Setting up a cooking gas home delivery service / Fashion Design Business Or Collection Officer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.