Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,876 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! (6646 Views)

We Know Its Corporate Slavery, Yet We Stay / The Hard Truth About Your Salary / What Jobs Are Available For A Graduate Of Political Science (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by Megadeals: 8:11pm On Dec 08, 2009
Paid employments are probably the best Universities you will ever attend. Unlike the regular universities, you are being paid to learn.
If you are planning  to set up your own business, it's alway a good idea to take a paid employment in that industry. It will teach you valuable lessons you probably won't learn anywhere else.
So, it's not that bad.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by vislabraye(m): 8:11pm On Dec 08, 2009
@poster, you remind me of Sepp Blatter who said football is modern day slavery. I laughed at his joke.

I agree with you to a large extent. Self employment has lots of advantages.

As for salary jobs being modern day slavery, that depends on the job. I was shocked when i heard of a certain individual who earns 200million p.a in one of the G.S.M companies. There are others who earn tens of millions in blue chip companies. The interesting thing is that they don't all work like jackass.

Before becoming an entrepreneur, i think it's usually good for one to work for a few years to gain some experience in  their career. Most of these entrepreneurs usually start from some where, while some just start without even working a single day for another. It varies.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by soserious(f): 8:15pm On Dec 08, 2009
running a business is certainly not easy!
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by OAM4J: 8:17pm On Dec 08, 2009
It is a choice.

For those who just want to survive, retire and live on pension and children support, paid job is ok.

But if you love your independence and you wish to make a mark then you have to start your own business. The earlier the better.

How many people got rich through paid employment?

Starting your own business is also not that easy:

You must have the right business idea.
You must have the resources to execute the idea. (human, material, financial etc)
You must know how to deal with the Nigeria factor – infrastructural problems

make your choice.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by GL(f): 8:35pm On Dec 08, 2009
not all paid employments are bad, there are companies that pay well. plus you get discipline and experience. it's not just about having an idea or capital. there are lots of risks that go with entrepreneurship, and it's best to have something to fall back on if things don't work out. there are many people in paid employments (who earn a lot) who still invest in some private business. of course, if your salary is not enough to feed you then it's probably akin to slavery. but to call all salaried jobs slavery is false.

self-employment isn't paradise for everyone, some entrepreneurs can't even afford to send their kids to decent schools. so it's not something one should go into because you want to be like your boss. if you feel you're being exploited it might be best to change jobs, and not just jump into the self-employment wagon. it's wrong for CEOs to earn so much and pay meagre salaries, but then remember they bear the risks. odd thing is, many people who are crying 'entrepreneurship' now would also pay little or nothing to their future employees.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by nazzyon(m): 9:50pm On Dec 08, 2009
The Salary some people dey collect bad sote dem no go smell 6 digit for dem account till dem go die.

It is only few amongst Nigerians who can boast of 6 digits as his or her annual income.

I wonder what our country will be like in the future.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by violent(m): 10:02pm On Dec 08, 2009
You guys talk about being self employed as if say na dodo
u dont just wake up one day to be self employed, u need money, innovation and contacts to begin with and you only get all these with experience over time, any sector you are planning to go into is already tightened up with competition, and there are no victories without losers, many are determined to see you loose, therefore you need to put your sweat, your blood and your tears into it, its a long tough road, it starts with Experience and please dont call it slavery
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by nazzyon(m): 10:18pm On Dec 08, 2009
violent:

u dont just wake up one day to be self employed, u need money, innovation and contacts to begin with and you only get all these with experience over time, any sector you are planning to go into is already tightened up with competition, and there are no victories without losers, many are determined to see you loose, therefore you need to put your sweat, your blood and your tears into it, its a long tough road, it starts with Experience and please dont call it slavery

Thank you, ojare

I don wan sell Honey for the past 4 years but the wahala be sey na who to sell to. And na who go borrow me money.

Sey u se am?
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by OAM4J: 10:20pm On Dec 08, 2009
violent:

True!!! But shouldnt be. Guess the violent take it by force then!!!  grin
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by asha80(m): 10:31pm On Dec 08, 2009
Ask Alaba boyz.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by violent(m): 10:35pm On Dec 08, 2009
Guess the violent take it by force then!!! 

yep! wink wink wink
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by profb: 11:25pm On Dec 08, 2009
true talk. i av been thinking about that lately.

"your spendings will always be dictated by your salary"

i work in a bank, i have never paid any substantial amount to salary earners(except those doing business alongside).

entrepreneurs command money
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by Nobody: 1:36am On Dec 09, 2009
all these peeps aho say salaried work is slavery, and ho want to 'setup their own businesses' and who go on about the 'evils of capitalism,etc' will they be any better as business owners grin grin

will they not also be engaging in slavery? unless of course they intend to run their businesses soley by themselves, which means the biz growth will be severely limited
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by genetokky(m): 6:38am On Dec 09, 2009
"ise de omo alaseje owo re omo alasela".hence it is better to be an employer of labour than to be an employee.
go ahead and read the cash flow quadrant (by kiyosaki R)
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by microgiant: 7:32am On Dec 09, 2009
GL:

not all paid employments are bad, there are companies that pay well. plus you get discipline and experience. it's not just about having an idea or capital. there are lots of risks that go with entrepreneurship, and it's best to have something to fall back on if things don't work out. there are many people in paid employments (who earn a lot) who still invest in some private business. of course, if your salary is not enough to feed you then it's probably akin to slavery. but to call all salaried jobs slavery is false.

self-employment isn't paradise for everyone, some entrepreneurs can't even afford to send their kids to decent schools. so it's not something one should go into because you want to be like your boss. if you feel you're being exploited it might be best to change jobs, and not just jump into the self-employment wagon. it's wrong for CEOs to earn so much and pay meagre salaries, but then remember they bear the risks. odd thing is, many people who are crying 'entrepreneurship' now would also pay little or nothing to their future employees.

Thank you for this.

GL:

self-employment isn't paradise for everyone, some entrepreneurs can't even afford to send their kids to decent schools. so it's not something one should go into because you want to be like your boss. if you feel you're being exploited it might be best to change jobs, and not just jump into the self-employment wagon. it's wrong for CEOs to earn so much and pay meagre salaries, but then remember they bear the risks. odd thing is, many people who are crying[b] 'entrepreneurship' now would also pay little or nothing to their future employees[/b].
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by maclatunji: 7:32am On Dec 09, 2009
Those quoting Maslow's HIERACHY OF NEEDS, should note that at the highest level. You have self actualisation. The best way to reach this level is through entrepreneurship. This is not a battle btw. employees and entrepreneurs.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by kehindebad(m): 9:12am On Dec 09, 2009
Hmmm, Just wanted to ask,

So when you become entrepreneurs,
you're not going to employ labour abi? grin

And you're not going to pay them salaries? grin

Wouldn't that be a continuation of Modern Slavery? grin

Abegi!!!
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by justwise(m): 9:52am On Dec 09, 2009
Pple are really funny, modern slavery? Joke! When u decide to start ur own business, employ human being and pay them a 'living wage' then come back here and tell me something.

We all can not be self employed, somebody have to work for somebody and no salary is enough.
Its all good and well to start moaning abt slavery salary when u are not the boss, when u become one its different ball game.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by Jarus(m): 9:53am On Dec 09, 2009
This self-employment talk, I believe, is overrated.
People talk about self employment as if it's that easy, while demonizing paid employment. Of course, I'm on paid employment and I admit I would have preferred self-employment, in which case I will have more control over my time. But the truth is if I had opted for self-employment for start, maybe I will still at home now, or still struggling with one utopian business idea.

Like somebody highlighted up there, albeit jokingly, the many merits of paid employment dwarf the bad sides.
Where is the capital to start your business? Where do you get the experience if you have not been under another person's payroll before? I just pity those young graduates that rely on those textbook theories and maybe those final year seminars only and talk about not writing CV and looking for job.  You need practical experience in business management before jumping into one. Working under another person provides a platform for you to learn. Of course, there are some people that never worked under another person before starting their business and the business blossoms, but they are very few, the truth is most of these self-employed people were also under paid employment at some time.

While I'm not against self-employment or anybody that seeks the option, I think demonizing paid employment in the name of encouraging self-employment is uncalled for. Self employment, as preached in this part of the world, is overrated.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by henchmark: 3:10pm On Dec 09, 2009
If you call it slavery then ignore the job, na by force to work for anyone? Banks in naija havent helped the ordinary citizen in any way. travel outside even to japan and see what interest rate is like, in UK and US its less than 2% i guess, everything in naija has been designed not to succeed cos those who are suceeding never found it easy so they want the same for everyone.

its slavery if you have no focus , but if you do, then you know when to quit and what business ideas to implement, i know a dozen guys who worked with oil multinationals and when they where retrenched with over N20M- N30M paid into their accounts, they were still confused, so you can have a million and become your boss if you know what you want, mind you rome wasnt built in a day so it will come gradually, but please have a plan B cos the business enviroment in naija is very harsh.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by condomized: 4:37pm On Dec 09, 2009
You have all spoken well. Permission to quote ROBERT KIYOSAKI (RICH DAD POOR DAD).

undecided He explained that Salary job being slavery has some degrees of inevitability!
What does this mean? Salary Job= Inevitable Slavery
I know we have different circumstances, but for an average graduate, you just have to go thru the INEVITABLE stage of WORKING WHILE ANOTHER MAN CHOPS at some point in your life!!!.
So at any point in time, some people have got to work 4 some people. That should not discourage any dude from establishing a small business and employing workers at the right stage.

shocked But my conclusion to the house is,

YOU CAN DETERMINE FOR YOURSELF HOW LONG THAT ''SLAVERY'' STAGE LASTS. The earlier u wake up, the better. I wish you all well.

smiley @POSTER, I am not feeling BIG. Remember= MAN IS THE ARCHTECT OF HIS OWN FORTUNE OR OTHERWISE.
WAKE UP!!!
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by olisa07: 5:16pm On Dec 09, 2009
Yes of course a modern Slavery

all your active time on lt.

people should think of how to save themselves from this.

it can be done for a start but not for a life time.

You money should work for too.

There is this network marketing that is much flexible than ever

it allows your money to work for you while you go about your normal biz.

giving you 100% of your investment and the products are superb.

Giving you financial freedom within 3yrs of work.

mail me, if interested, you will ever be grateful.

3dclients@gmail.com
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by justwise(m): 5:58pm On Dec 09, 2009
olisa07:

Yes of course a modern Slavery
all your active time on lt.
people should think of how to save themselves from this.
it can be done for a start but not for a life time.
You money should work for too.There is this network marketing that is much flexible than ever
it allows your money to work for you while you go about your normal biz.
giving you 100% of your investment and the products are superb.
Giving you financial freedom within 3yrs of work.mail me, if interested, you will ever be grateful.
3dclients@gmail.com

U are just ful of rubbish, u will only fool urself.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by AjanleKoko: 6:20pm On Dec 09, 2009
I think I like that post where the person said a salaried job is the best university after University.
If you guys truly read Kiyosaki's book, you'll find out that he spent time in the Merchant Navy, went to University, and took up paid employment for some time. For a guy that wrote a book called 'If You Want To Be Rich And Happy, Don't Go To School (?)' doesn't that sound worrying? Note the question mark in the book title, however.

Salaried jobs are quite fulfilling. Not all are, however. In Nigeria, most of them are really bad, with poor renumeration, slave-like conditions, and very poor training environment for the staff. But you can still use them as some sort of stepping stone to getting what you want.

I happen to believe that everybody who excels in personal business can excel in salaried employment, and vice versa. I am talking about true excellence o, not cutting corners and playing tricks.

Peace.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by okenze2003(m): 7:04pm On Dec 09, 2009
i don't agree that salary jobs are modern day slavery:
1. slaves are not paid
2. slaves don't have say in whatever the boss do or want to do
3. Slaves don't quit serving the boss if he want to
However, paid workers can do all of the above and even more
Also those of u that are looking for a honest person to man their businesses, do u also want to make them slaves or servants because u are going to pay them salary.
whether self employed or u are working for some one,what maters is plan, focus and dedication to what u aim or want to acheive in life.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by Ndipe(m): 7:54pm On Dec 09, 2009
Everybody is not meant to be an entrepreneur. There are some who are contented with a 9-5 hour job that pays the bills and afford them the opportunity to pursue other meaningful activities. As a businessman, you are stressed out daily on how to expand the biz, run the biz and deal directly with competitors. Not everybody is directly cut out for that. And there are some jobs that can pay you a higher salary even more than running your own biz. Money no be everything.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by Singular: 9:06pm On Dec 09, 2009
Ndipe:

Everybody is not meant to be an entrepreneur. There are some who are contented with a 9-5 hour job that pays the bills and afford them the opportunity to pursue other meaningful activities. As a businessman, you are stressed out daily on how to expand the biz, run the biz and deal directly with competitors. Not everybody is directly cut out for that. And there are some jobs that can pay you a higher salary even more than running your own biz. Money no be everything.

God bless you and your post.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by KunleA2(m): 11:22pm On Dec 09, 2009
Everything in life has a beginning. Sometimes you have to put up with those things that you dont like to get you what you like. Employment will let you sharpen ur skills at someone else's expense  cheesy. And you might learn things that will make you a better enterpreneur.

There are some corporations that will only promote people that start from the bottom to management, there is a reason for that. People who think that being your own boss mean that you can "open/close whenever you want" "Get out of bet anytime you want" are sadly mistaken. Let me lie to you: "Enterpreneur are employees of their customers" You have to be able to adapt to customer's need and concern otherwise you will be out of business.

If customers expect you to open shop at a particular time, it better be open when they get there and have those things they expect to buy otherwise you are out of business. You have to grow the business constantly and stay on your toes. These are things that the "slave" dont have to worry too much about.

Everything in life has its merits and demerits. Good luck in your venture.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by hackney(m): 11:30pm On Dec 09, 2009
Starting a small business with potential for growth is good but putting someone else (even your own brother)
in charge at that crucial initial stage is the biggest mistake anybody can make.

The business 'greats' all abandoned everything else and grafted till their businesses took off.
And such businesses that start from scratch will usually have the strongest foundation and the owners who become rich never have the wealth getting to their head because they've seen it all.

Setting up something and still working else where has never really worked big time.
That initial personal blood and sweat which nobody else will input in some one else's biz is highly rqd.
(That every penny counts and going the extra mile attitude is rqd otherwise sit your arse down)

Salary is not that bad. after all those bankers and politicians are also on salary abi. grin grin grin
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by Wallie(m): 1:11am On Dec 10, 2009
Salaried jobs can be a modern form of slavery but it all depends on how much you’re getting paid for the work you’re doing and under what conditions. For example, if you hawk pure water and you make a sale of $10k per month, you can’t expect to be paid $15k per month. At the end of the day, for a business to succeed, the numbers have to add up. Go to China sweatshops to see what modern day slavery looks like.

Now, if your complaints are that the daily average wage of a typical Nigerian is not enough to survive on, that’s a different issue entirely and the solution will depend on whether exploitation is taking place or the workers are too low skilled.

On the issue of entrepreneurship, I think it is a great idea that people who are business inclined should give a shot at running their own business as long as they have an idea and the necessary tools to help them succeed. Keep in mind that everybody can’t be a chief; somebody has to be the consumer. Also, working for someone is a great way to acquire specialized knowledge that you might need to run your future business. Or better yet, it might expose you to business opportunities that might otherwise be obscured from you.

I think the reality with Nigeria is that the government provides majority of the employment to people and there is no way they, the govt, have the capacity to absorb the all the unemployed. Further, govt mostly spends money and not make money. They make money from taxes and getting a percentage of exported natural resources.

The only way that the standard of living can improve is by empowering the private sector, especially the entrepreneurs. The govt needs to help by providing small business workshops, loans, and incentives to start ones own business. The truth is that over 95% of those businesses will fail within the first 5 years; however, some of the ones that will succeed that turn out to be the Google of tomorrow.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by kushe: 7:27am On Dec 10, 2009
B4 u choose sides,how well have u developed yourself as an individual.how can u castigate employers when in their sincere and fair assessment of you,your expertise or competence is not worth the paper in which you received your emplyment details.I started my own business at 26 and 5 years after and a very successful outing,this is my theory.most naija graduates come to interviews well rehearsed,get the job,are absolutely oblivious of how to interprete their jd[job description],expect to be spoonfed by an immediate superior equating on the job experience to kindergaten,display the absolute irrelevance of their uni or polytechnic certificates on a daily basis and ultimately develop the herd mentality or bandwagon syndrome that typifies the nigerian graduate 'a badly schooled incompetent scholar in inverted commas that expects to be treated special simply cos he walked through a higher institution without displaying commensurate reasoning or the ability to think without supervision and yet wants to earn what his contemporaries can only dream of , the failure of which he begins to say crap about his employers when in actual sense the problem stares him in the mirror every morning before he goes out to display his mediocrity'.A mediocre employee will be a disaster as an entrepreneur and that is not a curse because u simply cannot give what you dont have.develop the dream of others and in the process develop yourself,quit allowing malodorous matter run out of your mouth at work and you just might make it in the entrepreneurial world.
Re: Salary Jobs Are Modern Slavery! by Ayemibo: 8:00am On Dec 10, 2009
Just in case you are tired of waiting for your monthly paychecks
and thinking of what next to do, I have a business idea for you, which you can even start while
you are still very active on your present Job, in fact, it is a viable plan B worthy of being given a trial.
you can visit this blog http://exportnigeria..com
and then post your comments and ask your questions

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do You Know You Can Learn all these for 2k on quickbook instead of 50k? / Would You Accept This Gtb Offer / 4 Tough Calls To Make On Career Growth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.