Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,141 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:34 PM

The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. (3847 Views)

The Great Benin Empire / The Fall And Rise Of The Benin Empire: A Must Read / The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by lawani: 9:08pm On Feb 17, 2017
How did we come to have so many different kinds of Igbos?. I might say the Nri Igbos survived to a large extent an epidemic that decimated urban agglomerations. The Nri Igbos were villagers attached to their villages while Yoruba, Efik and Edoid peoples had central governance and cities of varying sizes. Some of these cities were wiped off by epidemics. It may have been a kind of plague and this position is reinforced by the fact that the Yoruba are said to be resistant to Lassa fever carried by rats. It may be what the Yoruba call eku eeda, a rat specie that must have spread disease in the past. Probably the survivors traded with Igbos who came from Nri villages, intermarried with and acquired their language and etc and are now largely Igbos by acculturisation. However the Igboid cultural sphere is somehow distinct, though it also overlaps with others.

Many years ago, maybe thousands of years before the time of Orunmila, the Yoruba spoke an Akokoid language, remnants of which remain in Ondo, Northern Edo, Kogi and Kwara among groups like the Akoko and the Ogori Magongo. Those are the remnants of ancient Ife speakers. Along the line the language was changed by relocatees from Kemitic Egypt who surely came in large numbers bypassing the old capital at Wadai to settle in bulk in Southern Nigeria. It is their language we speak today as Yorubas by well over 50 percent vocabulary and structure. Thousands of years later, a stranger from Mecca was crowned Olofin Aye and renamed Oduduwa probably at a more Northerly Ife but they moved South and established another Ife on the land of the Ugbos. The Ugbos raided them but later reached a truce with them and recognised the place as Ile Ife or Ife Ooyelagbo.

It is from this new Ife and from this new arrival from Mecca that the new Yoruba states of Oyo, Ijesa, Benin, Igbomina, Ijebu, Owu, Ketu, Popo etc were established. The old ones of Aramoko, Ire, Owo, Ijero etc were descended from Orunmila. People need to grasp this. There was no Oyo, Benin, Ijesa etc during the life time of the first Orunmila!.

BENIN

Old name is Igodomigodo. The people are called Edo which in Yoruba language also means 'settler' by the etymology. In Igbo, Obodo means 'place of settlement' just like Ibudo in Yoruba. If you say Ado (re mi), it means the one who settled different from Ado (do mi) which is another Yoruba name for Benin, Ado (do mi) also means talisman depending on context which is why the Alaafin Sango is called 'Alado' meaning the magician or the one who has many talismans. So the word Edo means settlers, it is a descriptive noun, it is just like Ido which means settlement. Occurring in place names like Ido Ajinare, Ido Ijesa etc and the old name of Ogbomosho 'Ido Ogbori Elemosho'. As further examples if you say a proposal is 'Eja' (do mi). It means it is unacceptable. Ja means disqualified or detached. If you say someone is 'Egbe' (do re), they are timid which comes from gbe or dry. So if you say people are Edo (do mi), it means they are settlers or aborigines. The rendition rhymes with Yoruba structure but the word 'do' means same in Yoruba and Igbo, Obodo and Ibudo means same, former is Igbo and latter is Yoruba. I would not know of Edo language. I am not conversant with that language.

People back then were not thugs like today. They used oracles the way we use smart phones. So, a Yoruba man speaking the Egyptian tongue was made King by the Edo oracle at Igodomigodo during what we might call a visit to Igodomigodo for a theological conference. That town back then would not have been large probably junior to some Urhobo or Ora towns back then but the Yoruba man brought Yorubas in large numbers and changed the town name to Ife Ubinu after an even,t meaning the new Ife of Vexation. Yoruba became the lingua franca while the natives spoke their Edo in the suburbs like in the past. There are many very large Edoid groups with mutually unintelligible languages. Similar to each other like Ebira to Gwari or Nupe and Edo today is not the largest of them. It also appears that Edo is the word used by the Benin to refer to the aborigines in the suburbs while the aborigines refer to themselves as Ekpenkpen or something similar sounding but Edo is now more popular.

The Benin empire was thus a Yoruba empire and the most Easterly Benin towns are Yoruba towns and not Edoid. Those are towns like Ugbodumila in Delta state meaning the forest saved me and Warri in same Delta state which is probably from same lineage as Iwere ile in Oyo. Anyone can be descended from the other. There is no doubt that Onitsha and Ogba land were Yoruba towns in the past and never Edoid like the now Igbo people from those places think. The Yoruba spoken in Ugbodu is Owo dialect and that would be the old language of Onitsha and Ogba land before they became Igbos.

I do not like how things are muddled up on cyberspace and even by so called academics. So THAT IS MY OWN INSIGHT OR PERSPECTIVE.
Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by oyalunasamuel(m): 9:22pm On Feb 17, 2017
So bros you just come here dey yan bons the cover am up with English abi.

I think you really need to go back to your history classes. You obviously know nothing about the Benin people and there culture. so why dont you restrict you writings to your culture which i doubt you know little or nothing about.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by spartan117(m): 9:34pm On Feb 17, 2017
Op it seems you really came here to write"O.P(OUT OF POINT!) We d binis trace our origin to the era of d ogisos long before d time of oduduwa

4 Likes

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by RedboneSmith(m): 9:41pm On Feb 17, 2017
This man again *sighs*

Use this talent for wild speculations and spinning fantastic yarns and write some epic fantasy novel na. I will buy.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by lawani: 9:42pm On Feb 17, 2017
spartan117:
Op it seems you really came here to write"O.P(OUT OF POINT!) We d binis trace our origin to the era of d ogisos long before d time of oduduwa

I NEVER QUESTIONED THAT!. THE BARIBA ARE ON THEIR 317TH KING!.

1 Like

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by Oduduwaa: 9:43pm On Feb 17, 2017
Why dont you just let this people be, Must we yorubas be the first to find trouble?
You are clearly disoriented and lack direction..... Just look at the trash u posted up.

I am Yoruba and one thing i know and admire about the Edos is thier zeal and drive to preserve thier culture and history of many centuries ..

The time you spend daily wanking n self juicing untop Edo matter shud be used on researching more about yoruba history or dont we yorubas av a rich history too?.... The benins are taught thier history from birth and do not need a stranger n certainly not a yoruba man to tell dem so.....Disist from Edo matter and stop this obssesion!!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by Oduduwaa: 9:46pm On Feb 17, 2017
lawani:

I NEVER QUESTIONED THAT!. THE BARIBA ARE ON THEIR 317TH KING!.

Stop embarrasing the yoruba nation..... Wt kind of trash did u rite up

3 Likes

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by lawani: 9:47pm On Feb 17, 2017
Oduduwaa:
Why dont you just let this people be, Must we yorubas be the first to find trouble?
You are clearly disoriented and lack direction..... Just look at the trash u posted up.

I am Yoruba and one thing i know and admire about the Edos is thier zeal and drive to preserve thier culture and history of many centuries ..

The time you spend daily wanking n self juicing untop Edo matter shud be used on researching more about yoruba history or dont we yorubas av a rich history too?.... The benins are taught thier history from birth and do not need a stranger n certainly not a yoruba man to tell dem so.....Disist from Edo matter and stop this obssesion!!

I TREAT ANY ACADEMIC MATTER WORTHY OF TREATMENT. I AM NOT OBSESSED. PLS MIND YOUR LANGUAGE.

1 Like

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by Oduduwaa: 9:48pm On Feb 17, 2017
lawani:

I TREAT ANY ACADEMIC MATTER WORTHY OF TREATMENT. I AM NOT OBSESSED. PLS MIND YOUR LANGUAGE.

You are clearly Obsessesed and Unstable!!

1 Like

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by lawani: 10:47pm On Feb 17, 2017
Oduduwaa:

You are clearly Obsessesed and Unstable!!

WHO ARE YOU BY THE WAY? I WRITE WITH MY FULL CORRECT ID AND WITH AN ACADEMIC APPROACH AND YOU, A NONENTITY WITH NO ID ARE SAYING I AM UNSTABLE AND OBSESSED?. OBSESSED WITH WHAT?.

IT IS A SACRED DUTY FOR US ALL TO MAKE ACADEMIC CONTRIBUTIONS TO ANY DISCOURSE BUT YOUR KIND IS A DRAWBACK ON HUMANITY AS A WHOLE. A WASTE PRODUCT.
Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by Olu317(m): 6:02pm On Feb 18, 2017
ORUNMILA WAS A PROPHET AND ODUDUWA WAS THE KING. THEY EXISTED THE SAME TIME.... YOU SEEMINGLY FORGET THAT IN THE ANCIENT TIMES, PEOPLE DID LIVED MORE THAN 200 YEARS. SO GET THIS FACT CORRECTLY. ODUA WAS A MAN WHO CAME WITH HIS PEOPLE WHEN ASSYRIA FELL DUE TO CONQUEST. THE NAME ODUA /ODUDUWA, ANASARA ORUNMILA, OBATALA, ESHU, OGUN, YEMOJA, etc aren't West Africa names... The ADE AARE is as old as old two thousand five hundred years. The time Odua came with his group was when ILE IFE EXISTED. And they brought the same model of kingship obtainable in ISRAEL.
There were thirteen settlement that had smaller kings at ILE IFE before Odua retained all the smaller kings and merged all under one authority SUPREME. This show similarity with the THIRTEEN TRIBES OF ISRAEL
Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by lawani: 6:34pm On Feb 18, 2017
Olu317:
ORUNMILA WAS A PROPHET AND ODUDUWA WAS THE KING. THEY EXISTED THE SAME TIME.... YOU SEEMINGLY FORGET THAT IN THE ANCIENT TIMES, PEOPLE DID LIVED MORE THAN 200 YEARS. SO GET THIS FACT CORRECTLY. ODUA WAS A MAN WHO CAME WITH HIS PEOPLE WHEN ASSYRIA FELL DUE TO CONQUEST. THE NAME ODUA /ODUDUWA, ANASARA ORUNMILA, OBATALA, ESHU, OGUN, YEMOJA, etc aren't West Africa names... The ADE AARE is as old as old two thousand five hundred years. The time Odua came with his group was when ILE IFE EXISTED. And they brought the same model of kingship obtainable in ISRAEL.
There were thirteen settlement that had smaller kings at ILE IFE before Odua retained all the smaller kings and merged all under one authority SUPREME. This show similarity with the THIRTEEN TRIBES OF ISRAEL

YOUR POST TO ME IS VERY SILLY PLEASE!. MUST YOU ATTACH YOURSELF TO BIBLE STORIES?. ORUNMILA DEVELOPED THE 256 BINARY CODES USED IN IFA DIVINATION WHICH IS AN UPGRADE OF THE 16 BITS GIVEN BY OBATALA. ODUDUWA OLOFIN AJALAYE WAS THE FIRST OLOFIN ON EARTH. IT WAS LATER THAT ORUNMILA WAS KING MAYBE AS A RESULT OF HIS DIVINATION INNOVATION AND HE ORUNMILA COULD HAVE BEEN TITLED ODUDUWA AS WELL. ODUDUWA REFERS TO THE OLU ODU AND EVERY PERSON PERFECT LIKE THE OLU ODU THE CREATOR. AN ODUDUWA IS A PERFECT PERSON.

WE ARE ON 10059 YORUBA CALENDAR. JEWISH CALENDAR IS AROUND 5000 YEARS IF UP TO. YORUBA STARTED COUNTING FROM WHEN IFE OODAYE WAS DESTROYED AND IFE OOYELAGBO ESTABLISHED. ABRAHAM WAS BORN MORE THAN 5000 YEARS AFTER THAT. SO PLEASE DONT RECONCILE YORUBA HISTORY WITH BIBLE STORIES THAT HAPPENED YESTERDAY!.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by Probz(m): 7:10pm On Feb 18, 2017
lawani, nwayo nwayo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by Olu317(m): 11:47pm On Feb 18, 2017
lawani:

YOUR POST TO ME IS VERY SILLY PLEASE!. MUST YOU ATTACH YOURSELF TO BIBLE STORIES?. ORUNMILA DEVELOPED THE 256 BINARY CODES USED IN IFA DIVINATION WHICH IS AN UPGRADE OF THE 16 BITS GIVEN BY OBATALA. ODUDUWA OLOFIN AJALAYE WAS THE FIRST OLOFIN ON EARTH. IT WAS LATER THAT ORUNMILA WAS KING MAYBE AS A RESULT OF HIS DIVINATION INNOVATION AND HE ORUNMILA COULD HAVE BEEN TITLED ODUDUWA AS WELL. ODUDUWA REFERS TO THE OLU ODU AND EVERY PERSON PERFECT LIKE THE OLU ODU THE CREATOR. AN ODUDUWA IS A PERFECT PERSON.

WE ARE ON 10059 YORUBA CALENDAR. JEWISH CALENDAR IS AROUND 5000 YEARS IF UP TO. YORUBA STARTED COUNTING FROM WHEN IFE OODAYE WAS DESTROYED AND IFE OOYELAGBO ESTABLISHED. ABRAHAM WAS BORN MORE THAN 5000 YEARS AFTER THAT. SO PLEASE DONT RECONCILE YORUBA HISTORY WITH BIBLE STORIES THAT HAPPENED YESTERDAY!.
...MY PROBLEM WITH RESEARCHERS LIKE YOU IS THAT YOU AREN'T OPEN MINDED AND THIS IS THE REASON THAT TRUTH SEEKS US BUT WE CHASE AFTER LIES. IF I MAY ASK YOU, HOW MANY KINGS HAD REIGNED AT ILE IFE? AND HOW MANY HAS SIGNS OR TRACES AT ILE IFE? HOW MANY HAS REIGNED COUNTING FROM ODUA? LAST QUESTION IS IN WHICH OF THE ODU DID IT TOLD YOU EXACT DATE WHEN THE EARTH WAS DESTROYED? KINDLY QUOTE IT..YOU HAVE DRAWN MY ATTENTION TO YOUR PROWESS. AND SO I WANT TO LEARN

1 Like

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by Chysler(m): 10:22pm On Feb 19, 2017
Crazy speculations.... I wish there is a time travelling machine let's ho back and lay dis speculation so rest... This is the worst of it all so far

1 Like

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by laudate: 8:45pm On Feb 20, 2017
lawani:
The Benin empire was thus a Yoruba empire and the most Easterly Benin towns are Yoruba towns and not Edoid. Those are towns like Ugbodumila in Delta state meaning the forest saved me and Warri in same Delta state which is probably from same lineage as Iwere ile in Oyo. Anyone can be descended from the other. There is no doubt that Onitsha and Ogba land were Yoruba towns in the past and never Edoid like the now Igbo people from those places think. The Yoruba spoken in Ugbodu is Owo dialect and that would be the old language of Onitsha and Ogba land before they became Igbos.

I do not like how things are muddled up on cyberspace and even by so called academics. So THAT IS MY OWN INSIGHT OR PERSPECTIVE.

Oga, if you go to the South-East to repeat this fake story, they will flog you so hard that you won't be able to walk. Stop these tales by moonlight, biko! angry

6 Likes

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by Nobody: 11:27pm On Feb 20, 2017
Hahahaha @ thread. Lawani my friend, well done. But I disagree with you on Ugbodu and Ogba being Yoruba. Rather, they are Lucumi Igbo (Ife aboriginal peoples).

Olu317:
ORUNMILA WAS A PROPHET AND ODUDUWA WAS THE KING. THEY EXISTED THE SAME TIME.... YOU SEEMINGLY FORGET THAT IN THE ANCIENT TIMES, PEOPLE DID LIVED MORE THAN 200 YEARS. SO GET THIS FACT CORRECTLY. ODUA WAS A MAN WHO CAME WITH HIS PEOPLE WHEN ASSYRIA FELL DUE TO CONQUEST. THE NAME ODUA /ODUDUWA, ANASARA ORUNMILA, OBATALA, ESHU, OGUN, YEMOJA, etc aren't West Africa names...

Obatala is a West African Lucumi Igbo name. They were known as Oba Igbo and Obi Osere Igbo -ancient Igbo royal titles. 'Obi ' is an Igbo word for 'king'. 'Osere' is an Igbo word for priest. 'Igbo' is self explanatory.
Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by laudate: 11:35pm On Feb 20, 2017
igbodefender:
Hahahaha @ thread. Lawani my friend, well done. But I disagree with you on Ugbodu and Ogba being Yoruba. Rather, they are Lucumi Igbo (Ife aboriginal peoples).

Obatala is a West African Lucumi Igbo name. They were known as Oba Igbo and Obi Osere Igbo -ancient Igbo royal titles. 'Obi ' is an Igbo word for 'king'. 'Osere' is an Igbo word for priest. 'Igbo' is self explanatory.

Chai! Which kind tales by moonlight be dis?? shocked Can you remember the 9th commandment?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by Nobody: 11:43pm On Feb 20, 2017
laudate:

Chai! Which kind tales by moonlight be dis?? shocked Can you remember the 9th commandment?
So, historical research and discourse has become bearing of false witness?! Ok, Oga continue. Why not challenge things you disagree with facts, instead of just trying to discourage discourse?

Tell us what part of what we said are lies. Osere is an Igbo priest in certain localities. Obi is an Igbo royal title. Igbo is a tribe. So, my friend, feel free to pick holes in what I just said - I doubt you will find any to pick.

2 Likes

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by laudate: 11:48pm On Feb 20, 2017
igbodefender:
So, historical research and discourse has become bearing of false witness?! Ok, Oga continue. Why not challenge things you disagree with facts, instead of just trying to discourage discourse?

Which dirty research & discourse? You want people to start debating your falsehood, here? You and your so-called research that is NOT backed by any historical, empirical or archaeological evidence?? shocked All those stories you posted, are the products of your overactive imagination. Stop lying, biko. Abeg, swerve make person see road...

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by Nobody: 11:58pm On Feb 20, 2017
laudate:

Which dirty research & discourse? You want people to start debating your falsehood, here? You and your so-called research that is NOT backed by any historical, empirical or archaeological evidence?? shocked All those stories you posted, are the products of your overactive imagination. Stop lying, biko. Abeg, swerve make person see road...
You have a right to your opinions whatever they may be. New facts will always emerge to challenge old assumptions and 'false' facts will always be defeated if they are false.

1 Like

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by laudate: 12:01am On Feb 21, 2017
igbodefender:
You have a right to your opinions whatever they may be. New facts will always emerge to challenge old assumptions and 'false' facts will always be defeated if they are false.

No be only 'facts,' na hypothesis you for take join am, come put conjecture on top! Stop your lies, biko. Nobody is interested in the falsehood you are so determined to inflict on everyone in this thread...
Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by Nobody: 12:15am On Feb 21, 2017
laudate:

No be only 'facts,' na hypothesis you for take join am, come put conjecture on top! Stop your lies, biko. Nobody is interested in the falsehood you are so determined to inflict on everyone in this thread...
Opinion is free, facts are sacred.

1 Like

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by lawani: 5:38am On Feb 21, 2017
igbodefender:

YOU CANT DISAGREE UGBODU, WARRI, OGBA, IKWERRE, ONITSHA HAVE ALWAYS SAID THEY ARE BENIN. WHAT I POINTED OUT IN THIS ARTICLE IS THAT BENIN IS NOT EDO BUT YORUBA WHILE OFFERING UGBODU AND WARRI AS ACADEMIC PROOFS.

DONT IMPOSE HISTORY ON PEOPLE IT CAN BE NAUSEATING. IF THERE WERE 100 YORUBA TO 2 IGBOS IN THE PAST AND THE GAP HAS NOW CLOSED, IGBOS SHOULD BE CONTENTED BUT YOU CANT CHANGE PEOPLE'S HISTORY PASSED DOWN TO THEM BY THEIR ANCESTORS JUST BECAUSE THEY NOW SPEAK YOUR LANGUAGE. THAT IS INVASIVE.
Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by lawani: 5:42am On Feb 21, 2017
igbodefender:

Tell us what part of what we said are lies. Osere is an Igbo priest in certain localities. Obi is an Igbo royal title. Igbo is a tribe. So, my friend, feel free to pick holes in what I just said - I doubt you will find any to pick.

YOU SHOULD ALSO NOTE THAT OBI IS USED BY BENIN IGBOS AND IT IS YORUBA FOR PARENTS. IN NAMES LIKE OBIKOYA, OBISESAN ETC. THAT I BELIEVE IS THE ORIGIN OF OBI OF BENIN IGBOS. EZE IS IGBO FOR KING.
Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by Oduduwaa: 5:43am On Feb 21, 2017
lawani:

YOU CANT DISAGREE UGBODU, WARRI, OGBA, IKWERRE, ONITSHA HAVE ALWAYS SAID THEY ARE BENIN. WHAT I POINTED OUT IN THIS ARTICLE IS THAT [s]BENIN IS NOT EDO BUT YORUBA WHILE OFFERING UGBODU AND WARRI AS ACADEMIC PROOFS.

DONT IMPOSE HISTORY ON PEOPLE IT CAN BE NAUSEATING. IF THERE WERE 100 YORUBA TO 2 IGBOS IN THE PAST AND THE GAP HAS NOW CLOSED, IGBOS SHOULD BE CONTENTED BUT YOU CANT CHANGE PEOPLE'S HISTORY PASSED DOWN TO THEM BY THEIR ANCESTORS JUST BECAUSE THEY NOW SPEAK YOUR LANGUAGE. THAT IS INVASIVE.
[/s]
DO NOT ATTACH BENIN TO US ..... THEY R NOT YORUBA!!.... STOP TYPING TRASH!!

YORUBA NATION NEEDS NO ATTACHMENT TO ANY TRIBE....... BE PROUD OF UR ROOTS N STOP FEELN INFERIOR TO BENIN..... TRASH!!

1 Like

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by lawani: 5:52am On Feb 21, 2017
Oduduwaa:

[/s]
DO NOT ATTACH BENIN TO US ..... THEY R NOT YORUBA!!.... STOP TYPING TRASH!!

YORUBA NATION NEEDS NO ATTACHMENT TO ANY TRIBE....... BE PROUD OF UR ROOTS N STOP FEELN INFERIOR TO BENIN..... TRASH!!

BENIN AS A WORD, STATE OR WHATEVER IS NOTHING BUT YORUBA. IT IS ALSO A YORUBA NAME. SO IT IS NOT ATTACHMENT BUT REALITY. HOWEVER THE EDO PEOPLE ARE NOT A YORUBOID PEOPLE.

1 Like

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by Oduduwaa: 5:59am On Feb 21, 2017
lawani:

BENIN AS A WORD, STATE OR WHATEVER IS NOTHING BUT YORUBA. IT IS ALSO A YORUBA NAME. SO IT IS NOT ATTACHMENT BUT REALITY. HOWEVER THE EDO PEOPLE ARE NOT A YORUBOID PEOPLE.

Just the same way the Benins can lay claim to Ile Ife that it is a Benin word not yoruba...... STOP THIS NONSENSE..... Or the hausas can lay claim to the Word yoruba...... DO NOT RUDICULE THE YORUBA NATION I AV WARNED U!!

1 Like

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by lawani: 6:13am On Feb 21, 2017
Oduduwaa:

Just the same way the Benins can lay claim to Ile Ife that it is a Benin word not yoruba...... STOP THIS NONSENSE..... Or the hausas can lay claim to the Word yoruba...... DO NOT RUDICULE THE YORUBA NATION I AV WARNED U!!

IFE IS NOT A BENIN WORD. IT IS AN EVERYDAY YORUBA WORD MEANING EXPANSION. THERE DEFINITELY ARE WORDS OF DEFOID ORIGIN IN YORUBA BUT EDO PEOPLE OF BENIN SHARE NO BORDER WITH YORUBA AT ALL BEFORE GETTING THERE YOU CROSS MANY DEFOID LANGUAGES. DEFOID MEANS EDE IFE OR LANGUAGES OF IFE WHICH INCLUDES YORUBOID, AKOKOID AND EDOID LANGUAGES. YORUBA IS MALIAN WORD FOR OYOS JUST LIKE ENGLISH SPEAKERS SAY GERMAN WHEN THAT WORD IS NOT USED IN GERMANY. I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND. DIFFERENCE IS YORUBA HAS GAINED WIDESPREAD ACCEPTANCE BY ALL BUT NO YORUBA SUBGROUP IS CALLED YORUBA. IT IS JUST A CONVENIENT UMBRELLA FOR ALL LIKE EUROPEAN. YOU GET?. WE HAVE OYO IJESA IFE IJEBU ETC. EUROPE TOO ORIGINATED FROM MUSLIMS AND IT PROBABLY IS SAME WORD AS YORUBA.
Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by Oduduwaa: 6:27am On Feb 21, 2017
lawani:

IFE IS NOT A BENIN WORD. IT IS AN EVERYDAY YORUBA WORD MEANING EXPANSION. THERE DEFINITELY ARE WORDS OF DEFOID ORIGIN IN YORUBA BUT EDO PEOPLE OF BENIN SHARE NO BORDER WITH YORUBA AT ALL BEFORE GETTING THERE YOU CROSS MANY DEFOID LANGUAGES. DEFOID MEANS EDE IFE OR LANGUAGES OF IFE WHICH INCLUDES YORUBOID, AKOKOID AND EDOID LANGUAGES. YORUBA IS MALIAN WORD FOR OYOS JUST LIKE ENGLISH SPEAKERS SAY GERMAN WHEN THAT WORD IS NOT USED IN GERMANY. I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND. DIFFERENCE IS YORUBA HAS GAINED WIDESPREAD ACCEPTANCE BY ALL BUT NO YORUBA SUBGROUP IS CALLED YORUBA. IT IS JUST A CONVENIENT UMBRELLA FOR ALL LIKE EUROPEAN. YOU GET?. WE HAVE OYO IJESA IFE IJEBU ETC. EUROPE TOO ORIGINATED FROM MUSLIMS AND IT PROBABLY IS SAME WORD AS YORUBA.

THE SAME WAY U DEFENDED IFE IS YORUBA EVEN THOUGH ILE IFE MEANS "I AV ESCAPED TO GOODNESS" IN THIER EDO LANGUAGE...... THATS THE SAME WAY AN EDO MAN WILL DEFEND BINI NOT BEING YORUBA........
WE ARE TOO DISTINCT ETHNIC GROUPS DO NOT ATTACH EDO TO US..... THEY ALWAYS REJECT N SPIT ON IT BCUS THEY KNOW THEY ARE NOT ONE OF US!!

AND YORUBA WAS A DERIGATORY WORD USED BY NORTHERNERS TO REFER TO OYO TRADERS.... I AM AN ODUA MAN!!

1 Like

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by RedboneSmith(m): 6:31am On Feb 21, 2017
igbodefender:

Osere is not an Igbo word. Show me a single town in the southeast, apart from Oguta, that uses Osere to mean priest. Osere is derived from the Edo word for priest Ohen/Ohenren. That is why the only towns that use it are towns that have connections to Benin.

Show me just one single Igbo town, apart from the ones with Bini connections, that use Osere. Just one example is all I ask.

2 Likes

Re: The Defunct Benin Empire And Its Igbo Peoples. by lawani: 6:37am On Feb 21, 2017
Oduduwaa:

THE SAME WAY U DEFENDED IFE IS YORUBA EVEN THOUGH ILE IFE MEANS "I AV ESCAPED TO GOODNESS" IN THIER EDO LANGUAGE...... THATS THE SAME WAY AN EDO MAN WILL DEFEND BINI NOT BEING YORUBA........
WE ARE TOO DISTINCT ETHNIC GROUPS DO NOT ATTACH EDO TO US..... THEY ALWAYS REJECT N SPIT ON IT BCUS THEY KNOW THEY ARE NOT ONE OF US!!

AND YORUBA WAS A DERIGATORY WORD USED BY NORTHERNERS TO REFER TO OYO TRADERS.... I AM AN ODUA MAN!!

EDO PEOPLE MAY HAVE THEIR OWN ACCOUNT BUT IFE IS AN EVERYDAY YORUBA WORD MEANING EXPANSION. THAT TO YORUBA IS THE CAPITAL OF HUMAN CIVILIZATION. THE ZERO POINT OF THE BIG BANG OF HUMAN CIVILIZATION. IT IS A CONCEPT IN ABORISHA THEOLOGY AND THERE ARE NUMEROUS IFE SITES ACROSS WEST AFRICA. BENIN IS IFE IBINU, WE HAVE AMADZOFE IN GHANA, MAWUFE IN BENIN REPUBLIC, IFE IGALA, IFE WOODAYE IN WADAI, IFEWARA IJESA, IFETEDO, IFE IJUMU AND ETC. IT IS A MODEL TO EXPLAIN THE ORIGIN OF HUMAN EXISTENCE OR CIVILIZATION. NOT SOMETHING TO TRIVIALIZE THIS WAY. ABORISHA THEOLOGY IS FOLLOWED BY OVER 100 MILLION PEOPLE. IF YOU ADD YORUBA IN W AFRICA, THAT WILL BE 200 MILLION PEOPLE.

YORUBA OR EUROPA APPARENTLY IS A WORD USED BY MUSLIMS TO REFER TO A PEOPLE ABLE TO BUILD AN ADVANCED CIVILIZATION WITHOUT SUBMITTING TO ALLAH. THIS TO THE BRAINWASHED MUSLIMS OF SONGHAI AND ANDALUSIA WAS AN ABERRATION

(1) (2) (Reply)

Brief Profile Of The Late Emir Of Borgu Kingdom And Photos From The Burial / The Trade House Abuja / The Origin Of The Igboman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.