Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,003 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

9 Problems Of Left Handed People - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 9 Problems Of Left Handed People (5361 Views)

His Wife Caught Him Red-handed . You Just Can't Believe What Happened. / I Caught My Husband Red Handed / The Problems Of Family Planning In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by Nobody: 10:22pm On Feb 18, 2017
DonOms:

And your hand doesn't hurt when you handle the scissors for a long time? I cut perfectly too but my hand soon hurts.
It doesn't hurt me if i use a bigger scissors. try using a bigger scissors,the type tailors use.
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by Nobody: 10:24pm On Feb 18, 2017
eitsei:
my grandma too didn't like it when I used the left hand to cook for her sometimes she wouldn't allow me to serve with left after cooking

I don't know if you always have the experience of people scolding you or complain if you use left hand to give them something or do something they think it's etiquette to use right. There was a day I almost beat up a girl in her mama's shop because I tried to take things I wanted to buy with my left hand and the way she tried to correct me sounded so rude, she said " Ẹ jọ́ ẹ má fí ọwọ́ òsì mú ọjà jàre" and I became angry
The only people that scolds me now are my mum and mum-in-law.

those two women sef. grin

1 Like

Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by Melsan: 11:14pm On Feb 18, 2017
DonOms:

Damn desks!! One time as an undergraduate I had to write a test in one of the old halls that had these desks. I hated myself. Funny thing was, an invigilator walked up to me half way into the test to challenge me about my siting posture but when he realised what was happening, he pitied me. grin

I was also forced to switch hands as a child but when I began writing mirror images of words and letters for two full terms, while receiving beatings from my class teacher and repeating a nursery class, no one told my parents before they embraced my left-handedness. They have no regrets today and neither do I.
Interesting smiley smiley
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by ChemicalReaction(f): 5:11pm On Feb 19, 2017
Principe:

Your handling the scissors perfectly must have been as a result of 'years of practice' grin.It is very difficult for first timers;but with time one gets used to it.

It is good to know that use write with your write;I write with my write hand but that did not come naturally.My parents 'forced' me to write with right hand when I was in primary school.

How did you learn to write with your right hand?Where you forced?Like me.
This is exactly my story. My nursery 3 teacher really dealt with me..
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by ChemicalReaction(f): 5:15pm On Feb 19, 2017
eitsei:
my parents tried to make me stop using left they did everything they could but I couldn't use right hand as much as effective as my left hand .. I use left hand to everything except eating
Aside writing, i'm a chronic leftie.
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by eitsei(m): 6:23pm On Feb 19, 2017
ChemicalReaction:
Aside writing, i'm a chronic leftie.
the only thing I don't use my left hand do is eating,
Have you ever been told by people who are not lefties that your right hand looks like their left hand when you are doing something using right? Because once in a while people do tell me my right hand looks like their left hand
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by eitsei(m): 6:26pm On Feb 19, 2017
ChemicalReaction:
This is exactly my story. My nursery 3 teacher really dealt with me..
I was forced too but I didn't succumb though I can write with my right hand but it will be slow and the handwriting will be like a primary school pupil's own
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by eitsei(m): 6:27pm On Feb 19, 2017
JackBaueress1:
The only people that scolds me now are my mum and mum-in-law.

those two women sef. grin
lol.. My grandma is dead now and nobody scolds when I use left hand again
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by karleone(m): 7:04pm On Feb 19, 2017
Principe:

Your mom should free you jor grin.Using the left hand increases one's level of divergent thinking.

One thing i 'hold' against my parents is forcing me to use right in primary school.Now I can not write with my precious left hand cry

Amicable09, thanks for making me see this thread.

Some people emphasize on this left hand issue and make it look like those who use left hand devilish and lack respect.
I was in a meeting today (For the first time sha), and they were singing their organization anthem. Everyone raised their right hand as customary and me, being a new member raised my left (Have been left handed since I was 4months old). One of the members signalled me from far saying I should raise my right hand instead. I peacefully did o..
Now, at the end of the meeting he raised the issue again, saying that it's an insult. And that I can't raise my left hand in such outing. And he started telling me how the organization has taken people to places. Me I'm like (talking to my self), shey it's now a sin to use left hand? Abi God wey create the hand do mistake? For once he never cared to know the reason for my action and he gave his conclusion.

Please, let us accord same respect we give the right hand to the left hand. They are doing same function. Some are privileged to use right while others are privileged to use left. We shouldn't see left handed guys as being bad people (cos they too might end up seeing you as bad too). Yes it's true that a greater percentage uses right hand. It doesn't make it a crime for the others. Remember that most were from birth, some grew to master it's usage, while some are 'unfortunately' handicapped.
Please, let's be guided.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by amicable09(f): 7:21pm On Feb 19, 2017
karleone:

Amicable09, thanks for making me see this thread.

Some people emphasize on this left hand issue and make it look like those who use left hand devilish and lack respect.
I was in a meeting today (For the first time sha), and they were singing their organization anthem. Everyone raised their right hand as customary and me, being a new member raised my left (Have been left handed since I was 4months old). One of the members signalled me from far saying I should raise my right hand instead. I peacefully did o..
Now, at the end of the meeting he raised the issue again, saying that it's an insult. And that I can't raise my left hand in such outing. And he started telling me how the organization has taken people to places. Me I'm like (talking to my self), shey it's now a sin to use left hand? Abi God wey create the hand do mistake? For once he never cared to know the reason for my action and he gave his conclusion.

Please, let us accord same respect we give the right hand to the left hand. They are doing same function. Some are privileged to use right while others are privileged to use left. We shouldn't see left handed guys as being bad people (cos they too might end up seeing you as bad too). Yes it's true that a greater percentage uses right hand. It doesn't make it a crime for the others. Remember that most were from birth, some grew to master it's usage, while some are 'unfortunately' handicapped.
Please, let's be guided.
Lol. Karl, you are in the lefty gang, huh? grin
My dad likes to say it is a disability cheesy, I see it the same way too. He stopped one of my brothers from mastering and growing with it cos according to him, some companies don't employ left handed guys. I don't know if there are still companies like that now though.

I will correct my child if any of them show signs of this handicap early in life grin. I'll rather they learn to use both than make the right hand completely incapacitated tongue
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by ChemicalReaction(f): 7:23pm On Feb 19, 2017
eitsei:
the only thing I don't use my left hand do is eating,
Have you ever been told by people who are not lefties that your right hand looks like their left hand when you are doing something using right? Because once in a while people do tell me my right hand looks like their left hand
True.. Happens a lot. I'm ambidextrous though but faster with my left hand.

1 Like

Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by karleone(m): 7:32pm On Feb 19, 2017
amicable09:

My dad likes to say it is a disability cheesy, I see it the same way too. He stopped one of my brothers from mastering and growing with it cos according to him, some companies don't employ left handed guys. I don't know if there are still companies like that now though.

I will correct my child if any of them show signs of this handicap early in life grin. I'll rather they learn to use both than make the right hand completely incapacitated tongue

That's cool sha.
Didn't choose mine. I had an accident when I was 4 months old. It affect my right hand. So I started with my left hand and grew with it. Can't do something stressful with my right. Just slight liftings. In fact, I can't use my right for anything.
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by joseph1832ng: 7:40pm On Feb 19, 2017
I'm right handed, though I wish I was left. I love and adore everybody that is left handed.
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by amicable09(f): 7:45pm On Feb 19, 2017
karleone:

That's cool sha.
Didn't choose mine. I had an accident when I was 4 months old. It affect my right hand. So I started with my left hand and grew with it. Can't do something stressful with my right. Just slight liftings. In fact, I can't use my right for anything.
Oh! I get it now. You have to use your left. You just have to unlike maybe most of the others.

I know some lefty children who could have been right-handed but no one corrected them early. Yours is by far understandable.
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by amicable09(f): 7:49pm On Feb 19, 2017
joseph1832ng:
I'm right handed, though I wish I was left. I love and adore everybody that is left handed.
Lol. I'm right-handed too. I admire lefty guys and tried to learn it but like the elders say, "they don't learn how to use left hand at old age" cheesy

I can only eat with left.
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by joseph1832ng: 8:27pm On Feb 19, 2017
amicable09:

Lol. I'm right-handed too. I admire lefty guys and tried to learn it but like the elders say, "they don't learn how to use left hand at old age" cheesy

I can only eat with left.
Still, you're unique. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by kaboninc(m): 8:34pm On Feb 19, 2017
amicable09:

Oh! I get it now. You have to use your left. You just have to unlike maybe most of the others.

I know some lefty children who could have been right-handed but no one corrected them early. Yours is by far understandable.

Are you trying to say it's wrong to use left hand?
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by amicable09(f): 8:41pm On Feb 19, 2017
kaboninc:

Are you trying to say it's wrong to use left hand?
Are you trying to start a war?
You don snub me finish?
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by kaboninc(m): 8:54pm On Feb 19, 2017
amicable09:

Are you trying to start a war?

You don snub me finish?

Snub?

Anyway I want to sleep.. .when I wake up, we'll revisit this issue.

Am coming
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by Udochee(m): 9:12pm On Feb 19, 2017
lefties always catch my attention. i just love them.
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by DonOms(m): 11:46pm On Feb 19, 2017
amicable09:

So you say it's a disability, fine. It's scientifically classified as that in some scientific environment. However, if you can't "correct" other disabilities like deafness and dumbness, why would you want to correct left-handedness simply because you can?

And you're willing to do it at the detriment of your child's feelings too. Please, it's the 21st century, left-handedness isn't a curse and I'm sure that post about majority of the last 7 US presidents being lefties is enough proof.
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by DonOms(m): 11:54pm On Feb 19, 2017
Melsan:
Interesting smiley smiley

Yeah, I know, right? How do you do?
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by amicable09(f): 1:07am On Feb 20, 2017
DonOms:

So you say it's a disability, fine. It's scientifically classified as that in some scientific environment. However, if you can't "correct" other disabilities like deafness and dumbness, why would you want to correct left-handedness simply because you can?
Exactly. Because it is possible to correct it that's why it should be corrected. A blind child is taught to read in Braille, the parents might as well not bother about giving the kid an education and seeing to it that he learns to read and write because it's a disability.

If it can be corrected, then it should.

And you're willing to do it at the detriment of your child's feelings too. Please, it's the 21st century, left-handedness isn't a curse and I'm sure that post about majority of the last 7 US presidents being lefties is enough proof.
No, not at the detriment of his feelings at all. I've helped to raise a few kids and I know how the lefty thing starts, it's like sucking one's fingers, children love to engage in that but because it makes the child sleep for long hours or it stops the child from crying, many parents encourage it. Of course after 9 - 12 months, they start forcing the child to stop overnight.

Habits, permit me to add lefty to it, easily formed but most difficult to break. It's better for a child to grow to use both hands rather than just his left.

Don't shoot me. My sentiment though.
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by shortiespro: 1:44am On Feb 20, 2017
Left handed all the way ...

The only challenge I have is eating food in public like swallow food. Eba fufu etc . cuz it draws attention but not every time .. ... but me I no dey send ooo maybe it's a crime to use the hand I'm comfortable with .. some people dont notice on time they think it's my right ...
I eat
Write
Drive
Play football with my left leg (I'll raise a ball from 1-300 with my left I can never try it with the right leg.. na fall I dey so )
I even position to the left ..

No forming .. just the way I was born ..

Just love it ..

1 Like

Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by Nobody: 2:16am On Feb 20, 2017
amicable09:

Chai,you are not nice at all grin
Left handedness is not a disability neither is it a habit.According to research many genetic factors contribute to a child's handedness.

For example,if both parents of a child are left handed,the probability of the child being left handed is about 26%.

Left handed people tend to be more divergent thinkers because their brain function is not more dominant in one part(hemisphere) of the brain.

The brain of left handed people are structured 'differently',it is no coincidence that probably most left handed people you know are very intelligent,good at playing musical instruments,drawing or sports.

Please,if a child shows preference for his/her left hand allow him, that might 'stifle' his creativity-who knows.

I am still not happy that my parents forced me to write with right instead of my natural left hand.
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by Nobody: 6:14am On Feb 20, 2017
I had to deal with the first picture a lot in primary school because the desks were small and one girl always replied me in a rude way whenever I told to move her hands a little with "Was I the one who made you left-handed?" Those days.
The ink smearing was also a problem, not anymore though.
I eat, write and even sweep with my left hand. My parents did not even try to 'correct' it at all; lucky me, I must say.
I remember a marriage we attended when I was ten, food was being shared, I grabbed a plate, took a spoon and started eating. At that point, a family member looked at me and said "Why are you eating with your left hand? Why did your parents not correct you when you were still very young? Why this and why that?" I blocked her out and enjoyed my sweet food. My folks were not complaining about it, so why should you? Trust me when I tell you this, people can't mind their own business.
If the left hand is so sinister as they like to claim, why not cut it off?
I can't believe someone here is called it a disability and a handicap. cry cry
So sad!

3 Likes

Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by DonOms(m): 9:43am On Feb 20, 2017
amicable09:

Exactly. Because it is possible to correct it that's why it should be corrected. A blind child is taught to read in Braille, the parents might as well not bother about giving the kid an education and seeing to it that he learns to read and write because it's a disability.

If it can be corrected, then it should.

Nah... A blind child taught to use a braille isn't "correction" but "adaptation." Echolocation is perhaps a better example of correction even though it's still adaptation anyway. Fine, you say if it can be corrected, it should. But what makes you so sure right-handedness is the correct thing? Because 90% of the world population at any time uses it? As long as there has never been proof of sinister side effects or damage to self or the society, I see no reason why it should be "corrected" because it's possible.

No, not at the detriment of his feelings at all. I've helped to raise a few kids and I know how the lefty thing starts, it's like sucking one's fingers, children love to engage in that but because it makes the child sleep for long hours or it stops the child from crying, many parents encourage it. Of course after 9 - 12 months, they start forcing the child to stop overnight.

Habits, permit me to add lefty to it, easily formed but most difficult to break. It's better for a child to grow to use both hands rather than just his left.

Don't shoot me. My sentiment though.

You say not to the detriment of his feelings at all? Really? I repeated my first proper class because of this "correction." I was as confused as confusion goes. First term, I wrote perfectly and learned fast. Only for correction to start 2nd term and I began writing mirror images (3 for E and all that) and poorly. I was beaten by my teacher too. After the 3rd term, my performance was so poor I was the only child in class to repeat. I was declared 'unfit' to learn.

The correction continued because everyone taught I'd change like most lefties do. Anyway, when my parents realised how dumb I had quickly become all in the name of correction, they knew it would be the end of their child. I was left alone and I've since lived as a smart and intelligent person. Don't let me even mention what I have come to achieve in life, to God's glory.

I won't shoot you because I know it's your opinion but I just hope you'd please weigh this issue and see for yourself being lefty isn't a habit or disability. For all you were made to do with your right hand, I was made to do with my left. Where's the disability in that?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by amicable09(f): 9:52am On Feb 20, 2017
Principe:

Chai,you are not nice at all grin
Left handedness is not a disability neither is it a habit.According to research many genetic factors contribute to a child's handedness.

For example,if both parents of a child are left handed,the probability of the child being left handed is about 26%.

Left handed people tend to be more divergent thinkers because their brain function is not more dominant in one part(hemisphere) of the brain.

The brain of left handed people are structured 'differently',it is no coincidence that probably most left handed people you know are very intelligent,good at playing musical instruments,drawing or sports.

Please,if a child shows preference for his/her left hand allow him, that might 'stifle' his creativity-who knows.

I am still not happy that my parents forced me to write with right instead of my natural left hand.
Lol. I'm nice o cheesy but when it comes to correcting, I'm firm.

All my siblings have one child each that's lefty. Only my eldest nephew was taught to use both hands and he's super smart. I don't know but it is just my sentimental value of this stuff and the way my dad made us to see it.

It's not bad o but if it will disqualify one's chances of fortune in life, abeg, it should be corrected. A child who will use both sides of his brain, will grin. Those of us using one are doing exploits with it like that tongue

It will take a lot of "looking away" for me to be with a child who is left handed and leave him be. Except in the cases of my other nephews, they've grown past 5. I've learned to accept it like that for them.
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by amicable09(f): 10:04am On Feb 20, 2017
DonOms:

Nah... A blind child taught to use a braille isn't "correction" but "adaptation." Echolocation is perhaps a better example of correction even though it's still adaptation anyway. Fine, you say if it can be corrected, it should. But what makes you so sure right-handedness is the correct thing? Because 90% of the world population at any time uses it? As long as there has never been proof of sinister side effects or damage to self or the society, I see no reason why it should be "corrected" because it's possible.

You say not to the detriment of his feelings at all? Really? I repeated my first proper class because of this "correction." I was as confused as confusion goes. First term, I wrote perfectly and learned fast. Only for correction to start 2nd term and I began writing mirror images (3 for E and all that) and poorly. I was beaten by my teacher too. After the 3rd term, my performance was so poor I was the only child in class to repeat. I was declared 'unfit' to learn.

The correction continued because everyone taught I'd change like most lefties do. Anyway, when my parents realised how dumb I had quickly become all in the name of correction, they knew it would be the end of their child. I was left alone and I've since lived as a smart and intelligent person. Don't let me even mention what I have come to achieve in life, to God's glory.

I won't shoot you because I know it's your opinion but I just hope you'd please weigh this issue and see for yourself being lefty isn't a habit or disability. For all you were made to do with your right hand, I was made to do with my left. Where's the disability in that?
Gaara101, I'm sorry honestly but I don't mean to hurt you guys at all, it's just me and this lefty thing cheesy. It has nothing to do with the individuals.

Don, thing is, it has nothing to do with the individual (child) when he's less than 3. In your own case, they tried to stop you late and that's why you had difficulty switching. I've once taught nursery and primary school kids. I had a kid who wrote the way you did at that time because he had eye problems. His parents didn't know. He wrote 9 as P. In Primary 3 when I was his class teacher, he had not learned to read because of his eyes.

Another kid, basic 1, same challenge, lefty. I took my time with him and achieved success grin. Once a child passes 7, I have a philosophy I operate with, I let him be. There's so little one can do with them. They've been moulded completely.

Well, until I am sure that they are not being discriminated against when it comes to employment, I'll still work on helping the child be flexible. It's the future I'm looking at.
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by WomanOfRace(f): 10:25am On Feb 20, 2017
You didn't add they can back hand? lf a left handed hits you....hospital bed and permanent scar will not escape you.
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by Nobody: 1:47pm On Feb 20, 2017
amicable09:

Gaara101, I'm sorry honestly but I don't mean to hurt you guys at all, it's just me and this lefty thing cheesy. It has nothing to do with the individuals.

Don, thing is, it has nothing to do with the individual (child) when he's less than 3. In your own case, they tried to stop you late and that's why you had difficulty switching. I've once taught nursery and primary school kids. I had a kid who wrote the way you did at that time because he had eye problems. His parents didn't know. He wrote 9 as P. In Primary 3 when I was his class teacher, he had not learned to read because of his eyes.

Another kid, basic 1, same challenge, lefty. I took my time with him and achieved success grin. Once a child passes 7, I have a philosophy I operate with, I let him be. There's so little one can do with them. They've been moulded completely.

Well, until I am sure that they are not being discriminated against when it comes to employment, I'll still work on helping the child be flexible. It's the future I'm looking at.
This is the first time I'm hearing about discrimination towards left handed people in the Job sector.
How true is this? I'm curious about it.
By the way,I wasn't hurt. It was for dramatic effect. grin
Re: 9 Problems Of Left Handed People by Nobody: 3:00pm On Feb 20, 2017
My best friend growing up was a lefty, I understand their pain.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Burnt Out - Any Advice? / A Friend Of Mine Died In His Sleep Two Days Ago. / Either I Divorce My Wife Or Face Up To Four Years Imprisonment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.