Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,349 members, 7,957,928 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:00 AM

USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son (1371 Views)

Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time / "Suitors Now Prefer Our Maids To Our Daughters For Marriage" - Nigerian Parents / Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by Sabasi: 4:57am On Feb 18, 2017
Nigerian parents, Oluwafeyi Faniyi, 30, and Olufemi Faniyi, 32, both of Roosevelt, were arrested on monday, accused of endangering their child while disciplining him. They have been charged with second-degree felony assault and endangering welfare of a child.

According to the Nassau County Police Department, while at their residence, they disciplined their son, 8, for misbehaving by whipping him with an extension cord of some kind.
A teacher at the child’s school noticed cuts on his back and arms. The victim was taken to a hospital where he was treated and released to a family member.

Assault in the second degree in New York is a class D felony. The maximum possible sentence is 7 years in prison. N.Y. Pen. Law § 70.02. Because assault in the second degree is also classified as a violent felony, the judge is required to impose a mandatory minimum sentence of 2 years in prison. The court will not have the option of sentencing you to no prison time.

For an assault in the second degree conviction in addition to being sentenced to at least 2 years in prison you may also be required to pay a fine of up to $5,000. Furthermore, you will be required to pay certain fees including a fee that is called a "mandatory surcharge" of $300 as well as a victim assistance fee of $25. N.Y. Pen. Law § 60.35. You may also be required to pay probation or parole supervision fees of $30 per month.

Another financial consequence of an assault in the second degree conviction is that you may be ordered to pay restitution to your victim. Generally, the maximum amount of restitution is $15,000. However, the court may increase the amount to more than $15,000 to cover the amount of the victim's medical expenses. Furthermore, you will also have to pay a fee to the company charged with collecting the restitution from you.

The defendants will also lose parantal rights to the child if convicted.

Both defendants were scheduled for arraignment Saturday in Hempstead.
https://nigeriacircle.com/usa-possible-7-yr-prison-time-for-nigerian-parents-charged-with-felony-for-whipping-their-son/

Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by BleedTilYouDie: 6:19am On Feb 18, 2017
As the saying goes "you can take him out of the country but you can't take the country out of him".
Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by Maydayy(m): 6:31am On Feb 18, 2017
Hehe,lobatan for them
Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by stsinner: 9:05am On Feb 18, 2017
Oga police,which kan yeye 2nd degree felony assault? For common flogging? LOL
Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by KanwuliaExtra: 9:15am On Feb 18, 2017
When in Rome, obey Roman laws.
Serves them right.

How can you discipline a child a leave visible marks to be seen by authorities?

Ever heard of "water-boarding"?

Bush ijjjiots. Dem tink say na NaiJUria dem dey? cheesy
See their Local Faces. undecided

Now, the child is gonna be phocked in the a$$$$$e by one foster-phag-parent ke!
Nonsense!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by Nobody: 9:20am On Feb 18, 2017
Why wipe an 8yrs old with an extension cord?, some people have no business in raising kids.

1 Like

Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by ElsonMorali: 10:10am On Feb 18, 2017
I'll just quietly bring the said child to Nigeria for holidays. That's the last he's entering a plane till he's 18. I'll enroll him in a military school where a normal daily routine includes flogging with belt.

We were flogged when we were kids and we did not die. Which kain rubbish be dis wan now! angry
Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by ElsonMorali: 10:12am On Feb 18, 2017
KanwuliaExtra:
When in Rome, obey Roman laws.
Serves them right.

How can you discipline a child a leave visible marks to be seen by authorities?

Ever heard of "water-boarding"?

Bush ijjjiots. Dem tink say na NaiJUria dem dey? cheesy
See their Local Faces. undecided

Now, the child is gonna be phocked in the a$$$$$e by one foster-phag-parent ke!
Nonsense!

Waterboarding? shocked

You waterboard your kid?!

Yours is even worse. Is is a terrorist?

What if the kid dies of asphyxiation?

1 Like

Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by KanwuliaExtra: 11:30am On Feb 18, 2017
ElsonMorali:

Waterboarding? shocked
wink
You waterboard your kid?!

Yours is even worse. Is is a terrorist?

What if the kid dies of asphyxiation?

Of course not.
Just anything that leaves no marks. wink
Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by EfemenaXY: 9:09pm On Feb 18, 2017
Good.

They should be made an example of to other crazy Nigerian parents out there who think violence is the best way to discipline a minor.
Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by MummyIMadeIt: 12:23am On Feb 19, 2017
HYPOCRITES EVERYWHERE!!!

WHY SHOULDNT A PARENT DISCIPLINE HIS/HER CHILD?

YOU WOULD BE SHOCKED TO KNOW THAT 80% OF THOSE SHOUTING FOR THE HEADS OF THE FAULTY PARENTS ARE EVEN WORSE THAN THEM.

MY BIGGEST CONCERN IS WITH THE WAY OUR POLICE IS TAKING THE ISSUE, WHEN THEY ARE THE WORST OF ALL, IMAGINE PARADING A SUSPECT ON TV AS A CRIMINAL ISNT THAT THE HEIGHT OF DE-HUMANITY. POLICE BE ABUSING THE ADULTS AND FORMING WHAT I DONT KNOW FOR THE KIDS..

HAVE YOU ASKED YOURSELVES WHAT HAPPENS TO THE KIDS IF THERE PARENTS ARE JAILED?
WHO TAKES KARE OF THIER NEEDS AND ALL THAT?

NO ONE IS SAYING THAT THE PARENTS ARENT FAULTY HERE because THE WENT FAR IN DISCIPLINING THIER KIDS, BUT WITH THE WAY PEOPLE ARE CARRYING IT BAFFLES ME.

3 Likes

Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by Nobody: 12:38pm On Feb 19, 2017
No one's saying parents shouldn't discipline their child but this is an 8-year old we're talking about here. There're better ways to discipline a child without resorting to violence on him/her. You don't discipline an 8-year old (or a child of any age, for that matter) to the point of causing physical injuries on him/her him. It's likely this wasn't their first time doing it but this was the first time his Teacher saw the cuts on him. Unfortunately, the U.S isn't lawless Nigeria where you can do something like this and get away with it. Parents who intentionally harm their child don't deserve to have that child with them, so the court did the right thing by taking him away from them. He's now with a family member and I'm sure social services will be checking in on him to ensure he's getting the care and love he needs.

MummyIMadeIt:
HYPOCRITES EVERYWHERE!!!

WHY SHOULDNT A PARENT DISCIPLINE HIS/HER CHILD?

YOU WOULD BE SHOCKED TO KNOW THAT 80% OF THOSE SHOUTING FOR THE HEADS OF THE FAULTY PARENTS ARE EVEN WORSE THAN THEM.

MY BIGGEST CONCERN IS WITH THE WAY OUR POLICE IS TAKING THE ISSUE, WHEN THEY ARE THE WORST OF ALL, IMAGINE PARADING A SUSPECT ON TV AS A CRIMINAL ISNT THAT THE HEIGHT OF DE-HUMANITY. POLICE BE ABUSING THE ADULTS AND FORMING WHAT I DONT KNOW FOR THE KIDS..

HAVE YOU ASKED YOURSELVES WHAT HAPPENS TO THE KIDS IF THERE PARENTS ARE JAILED?
WHO TAKES KARE OF THIER NEEDS AND ALL THAT?

NO ONE IS SAYING THAT THE PARENTS ARENT FAULTY HERE because THE WENT FAR IN DISCIPLINING THIER KIDS, BUT WITH THE WAY PEOPLE ARE CARRYING IT BAFFLES ME.
Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by Nobody: 1:21pm On Feb 19, 2017
NotOfThis:
No one's saying parents shouldn't discipline their child but this is an 8-year old we're talking about here. There're better ways to discipline a child without resorting to violence on him/her. You don't discipline an 8-year old (or a child of any age, for that matter) to the point of causing physical injuries on him/her him. It's likely this wasn't their first time doing it but this was the first time his Teacher saw the cuts on him. Unfortunately, the U.S isn't lawless Nigeria where you can do something like this and get away with it. Parents who intentionally harm their child don't deserve to have that child with them, so the court did the right thing by taking him away from them. He's now with a family member and I'm sure social services will be checking in on him to ensure he's getting the care and love he needs.

So flogging a child is now termed violence? What nonsense.

All those una american rubbish. Where has it landed america? Are kids in america any better? Our traditional ways of raising kids are better than those oyibo rubbish.
Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by Nobody: 2:17pm On Feb 19, 2017
Flogging a child "to the point of causing physical injuries on him/her him" is violence.

jusRadical:

So flogging a child is now termed violence? What nonsense.

All those una american rubbish. Where has it landed america? Are kids in america any better? Our traditional ways of raising kids are better than those oyibo rubbish.
Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by Nobody: 9:55pm On Feb 19, 2017
NotOfThis:
Flogging a child "to the point of causing physical injuries on him/her him" is violence.

so what do you want the parents to do? Advise the child? *laughs*
Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by twosquare(m): 9:37am On Feb 20, 2017
NotOfThis:

Have you ever been beaten by your math teacher at all? undecided grin

Sometimes, it will leave marks..everything is not by talking...different stroke for different folks.
Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by Ishilove: 9:25pm On Feb 20, 2017
Why will they beat an 8 year old to the extent cuts will appear on his body? There are ways to discipline a child without resorting to brutalisation.

Though I support Madea's biblical exhortation 'use the rod and whoop the child', the whopping must be done in moderation. There's a thin line between discipline and abuse.
Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by joseph1832ng: 9:33pm On Feb 20, 2017
I'm forced to ask what the child did to warrant the disciplinary measure given by the parents.

I believe parents should know that when they're in Africa, discipline your child like an African, and when they're in America, discipline your child like an American.

In Africa, such disciplinary measure is usually seen as normal. I see no reason why the parents should be made to even face criminal charges in the first place, after all, their motive isn't something that border on hate, is it?
Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by Ishilove: 9:38pm On Feb 20, 2017
joseph1832ng:
I'm forced to ask what the child did to warrant the disciplinary measure given by the parents.

I believe parents should know that when you're in Africa, discipline your child like an African, and when you're in America, discipline your child like an American.

In Africa, such disciplinary measure is usually seen as normal. I see no reason why the parents should be made to even face criminal charges in the first place, after all, their motive isn't something that border on hate, is it?
Joe, there should be a line.

So many of us were abused as kids by our parents in the name of discipline, we just don't realise it.
Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by joseph1832ng: 9:39pm On Feb 20, 2017
Ishilove:

So many of us were abused as kids by our parents in the name of discipline, we just don't realise it.
Abused, you say? Gosh!! I for one know I wasn't abused, I was disciplined. It's high time we know the ways of the white man isn't our ways.

I tell you, if not for those disciplinary measure given to me by my parents, I shudder at what I would have become now.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by Ishilove: 9:46pm On Feb 20, 2017
joseph1832ng:
Abused, you say? Gosh!! I for one know I wasn't abused, I was disciplined. It's high time we know the ways of the white man isn't our ways.

I tell you, if not for those disciplinary measure given to me by my parents, I shudder at what I would have become now.
Some of these so called 'disciplinary' measures were actually abuse.

What these parents did is wrong. Why will you beat a child till bruises appear? It's downright wrong
Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by joseph1832ng: 9:55pm On Feb 20, 2017
Ishilove:

What these parents did is wrong. Why will you beat a child till bruises appear? It's downright wrong
Abuse, as define by whom and who?

I tell you, the parents in question didn't do what they did because they're sadist, hope you know this. I always question the rationale behind the action(s) of parents as regard training of their kids.

I'm sure you know kids of these days are down right disrespectful and very insulting.
Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by Nobody: 10:40pm On Feb 20, 2017
Sinestroo:

so what do you want the parents to do? Advise the child? *laughs*
twosquare:
Have you ever been beaten by your math teacher at all? undecided grin

Sometimes, it will leave marks..everything is not by talking...different stroke for different folks.

There're many ways to discipline an 8-year old child without beating him/her with an extension cord, especially to the point of causing injury. I'm sure a thorough investigation was done on the parents and the child, and sufficient evidence was found against the parents before they were charged with second-degree felony assault and endangering welfare of a child. They're yet to be convicted because they're yet to go to court but the fact that they were charged with these crimes shows something was amiss with their treatments of the child. The teacher was the one who saw the marks on the boy's arms and back. I'm sure he/she then called social services who also did their own investigation before they decided to call the police who charged them. All these people can't be wrong.
Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by MidasTouche01(m): 11:03pm On Feb 20, 2017
Ishilove:

Ma, I agree we were abused.....

But Tough meat requires tough teeth.... if not for the disciplinary methods used on us, most of us won't turn out a better man that we are now...
Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by Mightyraw(m): 11:11pm On Feb 20, 2017
NotOfThis:

So flogging ur child is now violence abii,
Misplaced priority,
I see thier useless law nw
Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by Mightyraw(m): 11:17pm On Feb 20, 2017
Ishilove:
Why will they beat an 8 year old to the extent cuts will appear on his body? There are ways to discipline a child without resorting to brutalisation.

Though I support Madea's biblical exhortation 'use the rod and whoop the child', the whopping must be done in moderation. There's a thin line between discipline and abuse.

Cuts appearing on the body isnt really a big deal
Striping to mY pant will Show u hw much scar i gat,
ANd i can Perfectly tell u d story Behind each,

U can nw judge and tell me if my momma was wrong
8years my foot
Re: USA - Possible 7 Yr Prison Time For Nigerian Parents For Whipping Their Son by shumuel(m): 12:41am On Feb 21, 2017
Ishilove:

So many of us were abused as kids by our parents all in the name of discipline, we just don't (Don't or Didn't ?) realise it. though i believe its correct but it sounds wrong

What these parents did (Did or Do ?) is (Is/Was or Are(so) ?) wrong. Why will you beat a child till bruises appear? It's downright wrong. Here, i am very sure something is missing, what is it ?

I think your autocorrect is misbehaving; like always, because i know you don't make grammatical bluders

(1) (Reply)

A Set Of Leather Chairs And A Slim Screen Lg Tv (led) 32 Inch For Sale. / I Love Children Or Caring For Old People, Can I Get a job With It? / Whats The Function Of The SHARE Button In Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.