Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time (68849 Views)

Meeting Your In-law For Marriage: 6 Questions To Expect As A Guy / Indian Man To Sue His Parents For Giving Birth To Him Without His Consent / Italy-Based Nigerian Man Jails His Parents For Sending Him Pics Of Fake House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by iamyemiakins(m): 9:59am On May 16, 2020
SEVEN THINGS YOU SHOULD NOT DO WHEN MEETING YOUR PARTNER'S PARENTS FOR THE FIRST TIME.

This is a major step in a relationship, so the first impression can be a lasting impression, believe me when I say that.

1. PLAYING WITH YOUR PHONE

Avoid being on your phone, texting, checking your mail, facebooking or chatting. Sometimes most of us do it unknowingly. It is true some chicks do that just to keep themselves busy, but your spouse parents might feel dismissed and think you are not interested in getting to know them, especially, So avoid your phone at that first time.

2. LIE TO MAKE YOURSELF LOOK GOOD

Being fake instead of who you truly are is a mistake that can upset your partner's parents, and even your partner. Remember, they may get to know who you are later or in your absence, and it could really hurt your relationship. If you have told your partner the truth about you and your partner has accepted the kind of person you are, his/her parents should be able to do same. So there is no need of lying to attract their likeness.

3. BRINGING UP A CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC FOR DISCUSSION

Please don't bring up a topic like Religion, Politics, or s3x for discussion, even if you know that your believe are in line with your partner's parents. Some people still consider it bad for bringing up such topic for discussion before them. Concentrate on getting to know them more rather than those topics. If they keep discussing such topic among themselves, do more of listening.

4. DON'T GIVE LONG SPEECHES, MAKE YOUR SPEECHES BRIEF

Despite the fact that they are very interested in getting to know you, they also do not want to spend the entire time listening to your life story. Don't tell them stories about how your father divorced your mother when you were a teenager, how your community people burnt a woman to ashes for insulting her hubby, and all that. Make your speeches brief and interesting.

5. PUBLIC DISPLAY AFFECTION

Yes, public display of affection can be wonderful,but there is appropriate time for it. This does not mean you have to become cold, distant and robotic. Feel relaxed, interact with them gently, smile and be friendly, but make it neutral, rather than behaving as if you are desperate to have them as in laws.

6. DON'T FINISH ANY FOOD GIVEN TO YOU

Whether the food is small or plenty, and no matter how delicious it is. Never ask for alcohol if you are asked to make a choice of drink. Don't be carried away. This is very important.

7. DON'T PASS THE NIGHT THERE

No matter the persuation, don't pass the night in their house on your first day of visit.

You can also add yours...

https://m.facebook.com/103658061331200/posts/7-things-you-should-not-do-when-meeting-your-partners-parents-for-the-first-time/120618422968497/

153 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by xteve(m): 10:02am On May 16, 2020
OP, are you married?

186 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Chinny024(f): 3:17pm On May 16, 2020
Don't wear skin revealing clothe.. Dress modestly and not Takpas!!!

311 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by GboyegaD(m): 6:02pm On May 16, 2020
All this too many rules kwa. There are many things to bother about than trying to fit into a box.

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Bola146(f): 6:11pm On May 16, 2020
Nice one, noted

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by uncleFola(m): 10:03pm On May 16, 2020
Oga, u see that your No 6 ehn..... I can try not to finish any food given to me..... but make person come offer me some over chilled Green bottles or Vodka with ice make I come say No..... ah e go hard small o.

249 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 11:15pm On May 16, 2020
Noted

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Greatzeus(m): 2:49pm On May 17, 2020
You could just drive there with your Lamborghini,end of discussion grin

320 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Lamanii22(f): 12:25am On May 21, 2020
Never complain about the food given to you.... Just eat it with love...

173 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by MightySirKay(m): 2:16am On May 21, 2020
Greatzeus:
You could just drive there with your Lamborghini,end of discussion grin
What if your net worth is not up to their wardrobe allowance?

272 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 4:09pm On May 21, 2020
shocked

Never give your INLAWs the impression that you lack the right purpose, vision, and the passion to succeed in life. A father will seldom hand his daughter to a man who does not know where he is going.

Richdad50 once said in one of his post that a man's selling point is not only how well he portrays his current state but his depiction of his future desired state.

The weight of a man's great future outweighs the conditions of his present.

73 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by emmabest2000(m): 4:09pm On May 21, 2020
That no 7 eeeh
Whether it's your first time or your one million times, even after married their daughter and have kids , guys never ever sleep over at your in law's house... it's a disgrace to Alfa men grin

Meanwhile this Chinese girl below wan use laugh burst my belly cheesy cheesy cheesy

48 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by imohchard(m): 4:09pm On May 21, 2020
lol

I DISAGREE strongly with 6.

I feel you should act normal with people you intend to be family with.

Reminds me of a friend of mine, was dating a lady from a very religious family.

On their first date, he took her to a spot. He ordered 2 bottles of Beer for himself. Babe was irritated.
She came back home and told her mom. Her mom, being a wise person, told her to marry that guy. Because he would never pretend or hide anything from her.

They've been married for 10 years now.... And the lady is now a brewery herself. grin grin grin grin wink wink wink

341 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 4:09pm On May 21, 2020
Have money. You can say what you want

8 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by SweetCunt97(f): 4:10pm On May 21, 2020
Never use the toilet! No matter how the shit pushes, hold it until you get home.

112 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by vvvbobby205(m): 4:10pm On May 21, 2020
Are they God?

Don't finish any food given to you? Sorry I hate wasting food

179 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 4:10pm On May 21, 2020
don't hold condom in your hand while discussing with her parent, hide it

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 4:10pm On May 21, 2020
Mostly for the ladies , do not dress like an harlot .

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by supereagle(m): 4:10pm On May 21, 2020
Nu
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by donoso: 4:11pm On May 21, 2020
Experience is the best teacher .... All these are rhetorics when you haven't done yours. The situation is different from one party to another.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Slawormir: 4:11pm On May 21, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

Bros op just dey talk anyhow
Na you say make we nor pretend and fake anything for number 2
But na you dey also yarn now make we nor finish the food and reject alcohol

Eat everything if you are hungry

And also accept your bottles if available

58 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by eleojo23: 4:11pm On May 21, 2020
6. DON'T FINISH ANY FOOD GIVEN TO YOU
Whether the food is small or plenty, and no matter how delicious it is. Never ask for alcohol if you are asked to make a choice of drink. Don't be carried away. This is very important.

Oga I will finish the food they give me.

Why will they give me full plate of food if they don't want me to finish it? What kind of test is that? sad
If I don't finish it, I'll be pretending and like you said, pretending is not good. And besides, why waste good food?

The only thing I would do is not to eat like a glutton but I assure you that slowly and steadily, I'll finish the food. grin

254 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by AmazingELixir: 4:11pm On May 21, 2020
grin

Op on what capacity are you bringing up these your Do Not ?

Well Op hear me and hear me good ...if you're marrying from a family where the woman is approaching menopause if you like carry your side chicks come, the lady's family will cares less

Secondly if you are marrying a lady that is so troublesome to the family...if you like carry 10 phones dey answer calls like mtn customer care, the girl's parent will look the other way and be praying you don't get to know about the girl and change your mind.

Lastly but not the least if you are a money bag you can do all those things you listed there and the calls of our inlaw!, our inlaw!! will fill the air even before the introduction proper.

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by sylve11: 4:11pm On May 21, 2020
Eat the food finish, then use tongue shine the plate. Just be yourself jare. undecided cool

30 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by BenAndrew: 4:11pm On May 21, 2020
When you have money, anything you do is perfect in their eyes.

18 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 4:11pm On May 21, 2020
MightySirKay:
What if your net worth is not up to their wardrobe allowance?
With the lambo?

7 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by wellmax(m): 4:12pm On May 21, 2020
Don't finish food for what.

My friend, if the food is not more than you can finish, and its sweet, finish it.

Don't let them see you as a waster.

My mother inlaw will even remind you that she doesn't have a dog to give the left overs to.

So my dear, eat and lick plate. grin

33 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by anochuko01(m): 4:12pm On May 21, 2020
Why shouldn't I finish the food given to me? What's it gonna prove to them? Why waste the food? Who go chop the left over?

Except the food is too much sha.
But "eat cleanly" sha o. Don't goan eat like a fowl.

28 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Single Neighbor Came Knocking At My Door Late In The Night / How Do We Eradicate "cultism" In Nigeria? / 4 Things You Should Learn To Avoid About Women, If You Want To Live Long

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.