Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,905 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:57 PM

Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? (3698 Views)

Evicted Jobless Son, 30, Finally Packs Out His Belongings From His Parents' Home / 8 Years Gone. Am Tired Of Being Jobless / Being Jobless And Broke Hurts...(my Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by adakoleagbenu: 3:39pm On Feb 19, 2017
I have many friends who read Geology and are jobless for years. Going by some threads here on Nairaland, so many of them lack jobs. Why?
Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by Jafar1: 3:40pm On Feb 19, 2017
maybe they lack ideas

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by MyGeneration(m): 3:44pm On Feb 19, 2017
No connection, either with the physical or spiritual.
Secondly somebody in a state with zero gelogical activities shud relocate, maybe go to states needing his services. Like oil areas.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Feb 19, 2017
adakoleagbenu:
I have many friends who read Geology and are jobless for years. Going by some threads here on Nairaland, so many of them lack jobs. Why?

In the first place, why most of ur friendz chose this course? undecided

Maybe ur country don't need much of geologists sha... That's why there's no vacancy..
Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by Emasel(m): 5:17pm On Feb 19, 2017
adakoleagbenu:

They are probably jobless because they are selective of the kind of jobs to take. They are probably looking for Oil and Gas jobs which is hard to come by especially for geologists.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by niyi123: 5:29pm On Feb 19, 2017
[quote author=Emasel post=53860956]

They are probably jobless because they are selective of the kind of jobs to take. They are probably looking for Oil and Gas jobs which is hard to come by especially for geologists. [/quot

You are right, i also have a brother who did same course, to get job in Oil & Gas is not a child play, unless you have a strong link.
Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by ikorodureporta: 5:45pm On Feb 19, 2017
adakoleagbenu:

most hr manager dnt understand how complex geology is, that a person who studied geology could be very good in geography, mathematics, chemistry, surveying, statistics, physics, biology, banking & finance, etc, they also compare their grade to others from geography & co. Some thirdie geologists can battle with 2-1 geographers...&lastly, geology does not give enough room for self practice, compared to a course like computer science

1 Like

Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by ayamAgenius: 8:34pm On Feb 19, 2017
...because they all want to enter the highly competitive industry - The Oil & Gas Industry...

If they persist, and support with adequate preparation/qualifications they'll break in... cheesy wink

How do you know that? undecided

I'm equally a Geologist! cool

1 Like

Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by Emasel(m): 8:54pm On Feb 19, 2017
ayamAgenius:
...because they all want to enter the highly competitive industry - The Oil & Gas Industry...

If they persist, and support with adequate preparation/qualifications they'll break in... cheesy wink

How do you know that? undecided

I'm equally a Geologist! cool

Even the Nigerian O & G industry have few opportunities for Geologists, Engineers are more needed.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by Jostico: 8:56pm On Feb 19, 2017
We get animals apart from rat and fowl? who them go study again
Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by ayamAgenius: 8:58pm On Feb 19, 2017
Emasel:

Even the Nigerian O & G industry have few opportunities for Geologists, Engineers are more needed.

If that's d blif, den get one sld get an advanced degree in Pet Engr...
Bsc. Geology
Msc. Exploration Geophysics
Msc. Petroleum Engineering (Reservoir Engineering opt)

The brain can take it! wink grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by Emasel(m): 9:01pm On Feb 19, 2017
ayamAgenius:

If that's d blif, den get one sld get an advanced degree in Pet Engr...
Bsc. Geology
Msc. Exploration Geophysics
Msc. Petroleum Engineering (Reservoir Engineering opt)

The brain can take it! wink grin

This might sound ridiculous but Mechanical Engineers are more in demand in the Nigerian O & G industry than geologists and Petroleum Engineers.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by ayamAgenius: 9:06pm On Feb 19, 2017
Emasel:

This might sound ridiculous but Mechanical Engineers are more in demand in the Nigerian O & G industry than geologists and Petroleum Engineers.

It indeed sounds ridiculous because Mech Engrs cannot identify prospects, build static or dynamic models, history match, forecast or manage a failing reservoir to place dem on higher demand... so I'm guessing dey are more in demand to wherever that is...

1 Like

Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by Kingzy4pep(m): 10:21pm On Feb 19, 2017
ayamAgenius:

It indeed sounds ridiculous because Mech Engrs cannot identify prospects, build static or dynamic models, history match, forecast or manage a failing reservoir to place dem on higher demand... so I'm guessing dey are more in demand to wherever that is...
But he's actually right. At least, I can remember my lecturer telling us that when I was in school.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by ayamAgenius: 10:26pm On Feb 19, 2017
Kingzy4pep:
But he's actually right. At least, I can remember my lecturer telling us that when I was in school.

Lecturers? undecided undecided
Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by lollmaolol(m): 10:36pm On Feb 19, 2017
Jafar1:
maybe they lack ideas

Blame it on the sorry state of the economy and bad academic calendar.
Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by donasere(m): 5:49am On Feb 20, 2017
Jostico:
We get animals apart from rat and fowl? who them go study again

Like seriously? undecided undecided
Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by MrGreenMavro: 6:21am On Feb 20, 2017
hmm
Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by athorello(m): 8:14am On Feb 20, 2017
Jobs are limited because Nigerians don't consult the services of geoscientists to conduct geotechnical surveys for their buildings and construction works, sitting and drilling of water boreholes, mining industry is at its lowest, etc. The few jobs are held in the private and government corporations. Since they are multimillion dollars entities to break in you must be at the highest level of knowledge and technical expertise or "connection". To start up private practice in the Geosciences space is very capital intensive. That's why most businesses here are owned by veterans from industry and govt. To even get an advanced degree or professional training is through blood. As a result, many have delved into other areas to survive.
But if it's your destiny, God will surely make the way for you. So keep pressing and developing yourself.
Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by Annydan: 9:58am On Feb 20, 2017
adakoleagbenu:

I think d problem is d employment sector I our country. Lack of jobs n bsides even d few jobs available is only secured either by the help of God or godfathers of d country. Though I stand to b corrected
I Also think geology is better wen it cm to securing job or seeing job advert online. BUT ARCHAEOLOGY is a course nt valve at all here. And I v nt for one day c any job advert concerning that course(ARCHAEOLOGY).
Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by An0nimus: 10:58pm On Feb 20, 2017
ayamAgenius:

lol Na so..

I'd remove the 'most' in the topic but I get the OP's point.

Geology is mainly tied to Oil and Gas in Nigeria and as OnG nosedived so did it. The few Geology jobs you see now are for experienced hands. Grad geology jobs are not as easy to come by as those of engineering or accounting. The odds are som'n else. This doesn't mean some folks don't get lucky.
Re: Why Are Geologists The Most Jobless? by gideonchi: 7:13am On May 17, 2019
I am a geologist, I have never looked for Job for a day, my services are in high demand. Geologists are one of the most paid professionals anywhere in the world. If you are a geologist and you are jobless, there are 2 reasons for that:
1 you have not gotten the prerequisite training required for practices.
2. You have not been associated with the busy geologists.

The mineral industry in Nigeria requires geologist but most of the graduating geologists are not well cooked.

Go get the right training and see how you will be sought after.

You can check my site@ www.challionis.com and book for your training.08033013320

(1) (Reply)

Application For Provisional Position Into The United African States {UAS} / Operation And Maintenance Technician Trainee Programs 2018 / NDIC Is Accepting CV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.