Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,918 members, 7,817,691 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One (21688 Views)

Brake Failure Accident Is Dreadful!!! Top Secret To Avoid It "Exposed" / This Device Can Save You From Brake Failure. / Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Brake Pads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by mecussey(m): 7:59am On Feb 21, 2017
Senipapa:
Have you ever experienced break failure close to a busy Junction moving at a speed no less than 80Km/h where you definitely have less than 10 seconds to do something, let me no how you will be calm.

na to off engine put gear to park...or go back to gear 1 or hold hand brake or swarve enter bush...hear small solution dey within 10 secs na...
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by hazyfm1: 7:59am On Feb 21, 2017
AutoReportNG2:
Has anyone experienced a brake failure before? Do you mind telling us your experience and how you scale through?

Lalasticlala
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Houseofglam7(f): 8:05am On Feb 21, 2017
Everybody dey form brave abi

Me piss for body sha undecided

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by babz11(m): 8:11am On Feb 21, 2017
yeap, On my friend's birthday, though I was not drunk.
I took a turn into the isolo road, an a area in Lagos Alimosho local government. I have speed up to 70km before I noticed my break is not working again I told my friend beside me dat d break has malfunctured He thought i was joking because I don't take it serious, not until he confirmed himself d guy was so confused dat he told me to switch off the ignition keys, both off us forgot that we are driving a camry with power stearing. Now the stearing is lock. I have no control at all,around Dis time I can see my speedometer dropping down to 40km., we where both laughing because I believe we can't die.,luckily for us there was a sharp sand packed along the Road u wunt believe the car just nose dive into the sand, we didn't sustain any injuries., even the car did not have any damage., immediately we came down from the car my mum called guess what she said.., she said pls dont Run, I was just laughing telling her we just had an accident. she was like where., I just told her we are alright., after few minutes we left the car there we went to eat., on our coming back., I start the car and the break was working fine then we drove home...
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by jimb(m): 8:25am On Feb 21, 2017
op I dont understand you write ups.
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Coolgent(m): 8:28am On Feb 21, 2017
*Check for anything that may be blocking the brake pedal, thus preventing it from working.
Why not check after parking
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Olaiya26: 8:34am On Feb 21, 2017
The day it happened to me I had to switch off the ignition and pull the gear to Pack though it was Auto I was riding then and it worked.

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Exponental(m): 8:52am On Feb 21, 2017
All that?... time may be too short! Change your gear to neutral and turn off ignition. this definitely decelerates your car. if you have more time, consider OP's post above.
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Nobody: 8:53am On Feb 21, 2017
miketayo:
Y not just off the engine??

Ever heard of multiple fatal accidents arising from abrupt and indiscriminate stops? Your response here shows you have never driven a car!

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Richy4(m): 9:00am On Feb 21, 2017
It's only in Nigeria that I hear about brake failure....In most countries what we hear is driver loosing control of their cars due to one ailment or another.. eg Asthmatic attack, panic attack..etc...

Brake cannot just fail like that...People should learn how to service their cars as at when due..There are reasons why mechanics tells people the next service date for their cars.... if it can be followed religiously as they instructed... You will never hear of such thing as brake failure...when a driver will not service his or her car for 3-4 months but uses it daily, what are you gonna expect...

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by miketayo(m): 9:08am On Feb 21, 2017
BandAid:

Ever heard of multiple fatal accidents arising from abrupt and indiscriminate stops? Your response here shows you have never driven a car!

ever heard of engine going off while ur driving and the car slows down gradually ... it shows u havent driven a car urself.
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by miketayo(m): 9:10am On Feb 21, 2017
Mckandre:
I've always thought abt this when I was little though twill seem like a beffiting choice but its not dont ever try it. Cars of nowadays comes with what is called power steering that helps to ease control of a vehicle,ones the engine goes numb that is if u remove the key from the ignition, the steering lockups entirely that is it becomes unbearablly stiff making maneuvering very difficult which will rather cause u harm than good.

yeah that is the only problem of switching off the engine.. but we r out of options here.. atleast the car slows down

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Timijo(m): 9:41am On Feb 21, 2017
AutoReportNG2:
Has anyone experienced a brake failure before? Do you mind telling us your experience and how you scale through?

Lalasticlala
I have experienced it twice. The first time was when I was still a learner. one tricycle driver did a wrong navigation at a T-junction while I was in motion. In an attempt not to hit the car in my front, I matched the brake and it went flat. That is how I hit the car, my bonnet was affected and the two headlamps broke. I thank God nobody sustain any injury.

The second one happened few weeks ago. I got into my car that morning to drive to work. when I reversed, I noticed the brake was flat. I thought if I pump it, it will work but it didn't. I did not want to join public transport that morning because I will be late for work. I actually took the risk that day because it's a 30-40 minute drive.

How I managed to drive to office:

1. When I entered the express, I moved to the right hand side.
2. I decided to go on gear one, but if there are no vehicles in my front, I used gear two.
3. I did not run. When vehicles behind horned in order for me to move faster, I gave them hand signal to overtake me.
4. To stop the car when I got into hold up, traffic lights and round about, I matched the clutch to slow down and used the handbrake.

I got to my office safely that day, and sent for a mechanic man to change the brake pad with immediate effect.

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Oluwolex2000(m): 9:58am On Feb 21, 2017
Mine was recently, when I noticed the brake failure, it was around 3PM when school just closed, students were trooping out and that was exertly when the brake failed. Mehn, comma see how big boy like me dy shake... Instead of hitting the brake pedal, I hit the accelerate. Never the less, instead of hitting down any student, I just swarved the car to a near by tree... Picture below. Thanks to God though

3 Likes

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Mckandre(m): 10:23am On Feb 21, 2017
miketayo:

yeah that is the only problem of switching off the engine.. but we r out of options here.. atleast the car slows down
if it slows down,how do u dodge obstacle,ditches? mind u that the shear movement of the tires by when steering also contribute in slowing down speed. Best thing to do is to stop applying acceleration until gravity takes it place.
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by miketayo(m): 10:41am On Feb 21, 2017
Mckandre:
if it slows down,how do u dodge obstacle,ditches? mind u that the shear movement of the tires by when steering also contribute in slowing down speed. Best thing to do is to stop applying acceleration until gravity takes it place.

until gravity? thats a very long time esp with automatic cars ..trust me bad road is the least of ur problem wen ur brake fails.. the earlier the car slows down the better , at least if u hit anything the impact wont b much.. esp in straight highways, u can always start d engine once it's slow
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by FENZY24(m): 10:56am On Feb 21, 2017
grin grin grin
finestiyke:
Yes I have oh

Back then

With my BMX bicycle
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Nobody: 11:09am On Feb 21, 2017
mclaaro:
My second day of driving all alone. On getting to maryland immediately after the traffic light I realize my brake is not sensitive,i was scared n I needed it that moment a danfo was turning ahead of me and the lane...
Were you driving a honda?
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by mclaaro(f): 12:19pm On Feb 21, 2017
Mementoes:
Were you driving a honda?
A Pontiac Vibe
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by wizard007(m): 12:36pm On Feb 21, 2017
Richy4:
It's only in Nigeria that I hear about brake failure....In most countries what we hear is driver loosing control of their cars due to one ailment or another.. eg Asthmatic attack, panic attack..etc...

Brake cannot just fail like that...People should learn how to service their cars as at when due..There are reasons why mechanics tells people the next service date for their cars.... if it can be followed religiously as they instructed... You will never hear of such thing as brake failure...when a driver will not service his or her car for 3-4 months but uses it daily, what are you gonna expect...

Oga its not measured by time oo, we can both be driving everyday and you'll need to service your car before mine, its all about the distance we cover, I can't be doing 6km to and fro everyday and you doing 20 and expect me to carry my car at the same time as yours and go an service.

Meanhwike even when you service your car, don't forget we are talking about a machine here, it can malfunction anytime so don't conclude that everyone that had a brake failure is negligent of the well being of their vehicle.

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Richy4(m): 1:03pm On Feb 21, 2017
wizard007:

Oga its not measured by time oo, we can both be driving everyday and you'll need to service your car before mine, its all about the distance we cover, I can't be doing 6km to and fro everyday and you doing 20 and expect me to carry my car at the same time as yours and go an service.

Meanhwike even when you service your car, don't forget we are talking about a machine here, it can malfunction anytime so don't conclude that everyone that had a brake failure is negligent of the well being of their vehicle.

@ bold was the usual mentality many got which was so wrong...Where I am, if you take a car to a mechanic, he or she after carrying out the standard service will place a sticker reminding u of the next date your car is due for another service...the notice will come in both Kilometer and also in date sticked to your car as a reminder...it is a compulsory thing for every mechanic...It will be up to u to take it then of ignore it.. ...... Don't forget that before a car malfunctioned, there must be some sign... It doesn't just start acting up just like that...When someone noticed all those signs and hit the ignore button..That's the perfect start of putting one's life and others in danger.....
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Nobody: 1:05pm On Feb 21, 2017
mclaaro:
A Pontiac Vibe
Ok. I erroneously thought overheating brake system induced brake failure was mainly common to Honda cars.
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Christmasdon(m): 1:06pm On Feb 21, 2017
Tell me why i should move to the Right Lane immediately?
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by ositaboy: 1:52pm On Feb 21, 2017
Ok ooooo

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by alaskido(m): 1:56pm On Feb 21, 2017
I had a brake failure in 2015. I was descending a bridge when I tried to slow down but my brakes went all the way down. I just sat back and starting singing. This world is not my own I am just passing by. I pulled my hand brake and continued pumping on the brakes. It came to a stop after hitting the car in front of me.

1 Like

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by corpROYAL(m): 3:00pm On Feb 21, 2017
It happen to me more than two times, first l was confuse because it is auto transmission. I called Jesus and my spirit said l should pump my brake which later catch but l was in close range to another car l manage to dodge to safe the car in my front. That was how l escaped. The second l l keep pumping but l was not at tge speed. If you notice your brake is failing ensure you keep gap in your front to the next car at least if the car in your front match brake then you will be able to keep pumping and have solution, moreakso dont speed to much so as yo be able to control and compose your self in case of emergency.

The last one it wihin an estate k didnt know my brake fluid has leak and dry up so l am about approach a junction l match the brake once not catch twice not catch l called Jesus then, l relax, manage to control my hand and l stop matching tutle, l put the gear to neutral it moving then l off the car the acceleration reduce to like 40 speed to l put it on park. That was how l escape.

My advise, dont put it on park gear on speed the car can tumble, let it be on at least 40 before park gear can apply.
You can off your engine.
Be compose and put on your traficator to alert people coming behind.

We are all exempted from acciend in Jesus Name, Amen.

2 Likes

Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Kjnwancaro: 4:40pm On Feb 21, 2017
miketayo:

until gravity? thats a very long time esp with automatic cars ..trust me bad road is the least of ur problem wen ur brake fails.. the earlier the car slows down the better , at least if u hit anything the impact wont b much.. esp in straight highways, u can always start d engine once it's slow

You're not speaking like a wise driver. The OT is control your car to the last.
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by miketayo(m): 6:07pm On Feb 21, 2017
Kjnwancaro:

You're not speaking like a wise driver. The OT is control your car to the last.

Control it till u ram something, or control into a gutter. do u knw how long it takes a car moving on just 40kmph to stop.. Priority is to slow it down
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Nobody: 6:44pm On Feb 21, 2017
LEOSIRSIR:
it was a Peugeot 505 wagon very rugged, the brake sometimes you have to pump it twice before the brake can catch, was driving my family to church and the brake give way it went flat, started pumping till i hit a car parked on the road after slowly applying the hand brake, if i didnt use the hand brake the damages will be severe.

The thing is majority of Nigerians especially ones with older cars don't bother taking care of their emergency brake. I have driven lots of friends cars with non functional hand/ennegency brake. They all say since their car is automatic they don't need the ennegency brake as the car will be on P while parked. Happened to someone I know last week, he had a brake failure doing just 30km/hr. Ended up damaging 3 cars and his own car was almost totalled. If his hand brake was functioning he could have easily averted or minimized the damages at that speed.
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by Kjnwancaro: 9:15pm On Feb 21, 2017
miketayo:

Control it till u ram something, or control into a gutter. do u knw how long it takes a car moving on just 40kmph to stop.. Priority is to slow it down

Yes Just keep controlling till there's no way out of which you could get lucky and bring it to a stop without hitting anything not deliberately lock your steering thereby driving your car to a pole by switching your ignition off.
Re: Brake Failure: These Are What To Do When You Have One by lonelydora: 9:37pm On Feb 21, 2017
asumo12:

Why
Not
Neutral?

If you take it to neutral, the car will be freewheeling and you cannot control it. But if you downshift to D1, there's a braking force that will help to slow it down, while you are looking for a tree or pole to hit.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Engine Goes Off When The Brake Is Applied In Motion. / How To Determine The Age Of A Car Tire (Photos) / Honda Unveils Its Self-Balancing Motorbike That Prevent Riders From Falling Over

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.