Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,392 members, 7,822,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:15 PM

Can I Shoot A Criminal Being Pursued By The Police? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Can I Shoot A Criminal Being Pursued By The Police? (484 Views)

Bodies Of Teenage Boys Pursued By FSARS Into Lagoon Recovered (Graphic Photos) / 22-year-old Notorious Criminal Rearrested After Escaping From Prison. Photo / My Ordeal With A Criminal Friend Yesterday. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Shoot A Criminal Being Pursued By The Police? by BizLifeE: 11:54pm On Feb 21, 2017
If I see police in a shootout and I have a gun on me, am I legally allowed to join the fight against the criminal(s)?

Legally? Yes it is legal. You are legally authorized to use deadly force to protect yourself or a third party when threatened with imminent death or grievous bodily harm.

The police do not have any special ‘right’ to use deadly force, they simply have more legal protections for doing so. A private citizen involved in a shooting is very likely to automatically become a criminal suspect, where a law enforcement officer will face a review board before criminal charges against the officer are even considered. Police also face different legal standards in many jurisdictions (such as requiring ‘malice’ on the part of the officer.)

As a practical matter, ‘joining the fight’ is unlikely to be tactically sound or useful, and has a lot of potential to further complicate an already complicated situation. That is not to say that it hasn’t been done:

“…Approximately 20 minutes after first shooting from the observation deck, Whitman began to encounter return fire from both the police and armed civilians… Accompanied by 40-year-old civilian Allen Crum—whom the trio encountered as they ran toward the tower—they were the first to reach the tower's observation deck…” - Charles Whitman -

Source: https://www.quora.com/If-I-see-police-in-a-shootout-and-I-have-a-gun-on-me-am-I-legally-allowed-to-join-the-fight-against-the-criminal-s

Neteller here: www..com.ng
Re: Can I Shoot A Criminal Being Pursued By The Police? by Nobody: 12:20am On Feb 22, 2017
Come oh, I dey craze? I no watch commando reach that level na.
Re: Can I Shoot A Criminal Being Pursued By The Police? by music4me(m): 12:34am On Feb 22, 2017
U dey carry gun for pocket dey waka for road?
Re: Can I Shoot A Criminal Being Pursued By The Police? by RoyalBoutique(m): 3:37am On Feb 22, 2017
Cowboy... Follow them and shoot, till they start shooting at you.
Re: Can I Shoot A Criminal Being Pursued By The Police? by Alagbada1(m): 4:07am On Feb 22, 2017
You be thief! I no be thief.
You be rubber! I no be rubber undecided
You be armed rubber! No be arm rubber embarassed

Guy no try am before the police take u replace the thief.
Re: Can I Shoot A Criminal Being Pursued By The Police? by ollaxworld: 4:16am On Feb 22, 2017
g
Re: Can I Shoot A Criminal Being Pursued By The Police? by Nobody: 7:08am On Feb 22, 2017
Shoot the thief and get yourself arrested
Re: Can I Shoot A Criminal Being Pursued By The Police? by mekstaniac(m): 8:02am On Feb 22, 2017
Because you see a person being chased by the police and you conclude he's a criminal?
Re: Can I Shoot A Criminal Being Pursued By The Police? by AjalaJ(m): 3:07pm On Feb 22, 2017
At least, you should let a sleeping dog lie.

(1) (Reply)

Court Grants Man N200, 000 Bail For Stealing N1,500 / Exclusive:more Nigerian Women Testify Against Catholic Priest Who Wanted To Rape / 30 Years After: The dramatic end of Lawrence Anini & His dare-devil robbery gang

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.