Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,517 members, 7,816,252 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

Democracy Is About Give And Take And This Is A Give-And-Take Thread! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Democracy Is About Give And Take And This Is A Give-And-Take Thread! (442 Views)

Our Democracy Is Dying Under Buhari - Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe(video,photos) / I Have Never Seen Where Democracy Is Mocked Like In Nigerian – Dogara / Wike Bribery Tape Scandal: A Subtle Reminder That Nigeria's Democracy Is A Sham (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Democracy Is About Give And Take And This Is A Give-And-Take Thread! by ATERI(m): 7:29pm On Feb 22, 2017
Most Nigerians know that the famous definition of Democracy as the government of the people by the people for the people, is not in any way relevant to Nigeria or Africa. It is a ruse! How can we see any government in Nigeria as government of the people for the people? No, it`s government of the powerful for the powerful.

The welfare system is indispensable in a democracy. No two democracies are the same, but until the citizens of your country can have a sense of belonging that comes with the role the state has played in their lives, we shouldn`t expect loyalty or patriotism from the people.

One of the root causes of the upheaval happening in the West today is the deliberate decision made by the West to cut back on social spending/welfare system. It started when Angela Merkel took it upon herself to tell other EU countries that Europe has 7% of the world`s population, but 50% of its social spending. She would remind them that China only spends 2.4% on welfare. So she wanted something done. That something is the austerity they are imposing on their citizens today. The West has not abolished the welfare system, just reduced it, but their citizens are not interested in that cut-back. Poor citizens are saying that, in a world where 8 richest billionaires own as much wealth as half the world`s population, why are you not asking those billionaires to give something back, why punish the poor?

Now each and every time Nigerian politicians discuss leadership, what you will never hear is the welfare of the people. The money is spent on the law-makers and the executive. Anyway, let me make a suggestion.

Any Nigerian that is celebrating his/her birthday, marriage, house-warming, graduation, naming ceremony, promotion, employment or whatever it is that makes you happy that day, come here and give a token to those that are not as lucky as yourself

At the end of the month, we would give whatever we`ve got to those that need it most. So during the course of the month feel free to give whatever you can afford in cash, at the beginning of every month, we would give it out to those in need, starting from the end of March. Nothing is too small, guys!

They say it is good to give than to receive, but that is so if giving is not starting a receiving process. In other words, the essence of this is that you absolutely want to give without expecting anything in return. Simple as that!

It would be nice to have someone in Nigeria that would be handling this. Thanks!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Democracy Is About Give And Take And This Is A Give-And-Take Thread! by Rollsnjaguar(m): 7:46pm On Feb 22, 2017
Speechless
Re: Democracy Is About Give And Take And This Is A Give-And-Take Thread! by Tororo: 7:55pm On Feb 22, 2017
I like this!
Re: Democracy Is About Give And Take And This Is A Give-And-Take Thread! by ATERI(m): 2:05am On Mar 28, 2017
I will be making about 40-50k available here at the end of every month for fellow Nigerians that are in need of it. By the 5th of every month I would have moved on till the end of another month. My hope is that it would be useful for someone looking for transport fare to an interview or any other minor expenses. Small gesture, but definitely better than nothing.

(1) (Reply)

Peace Plan For The Pdp - 08/03/17 / Makarfi Vows To ‘flush Out’ Sheriff From PDP / President Buhari Felicitates With Renowned Poet, Niyi Osundare As He Turns 70

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.