Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,745 members, 7,809,843 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:54 PM

OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] (44775 Views)

Man Builds Computer Lab For His Former Primary School (Pics) / Imo State University Student Slumps & Dies After Her Project Defence (Photos) / Ajayi Crowther University VC Shuts School After Students Poured Him Water (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by OluDare01(m): 12:32am On Feb 24, 2017
ItsMeAboki:

If he actually died of aniline poisoning then I would have to say that he was very negligent (in fact he had no business carrying a toxic chemical in his pocket) and was mismanaged at the hospital.

However, I am more inclined to suspect that the probable cause of death was something else for the reasons already mentioned.

This unfortunate incidence should be a reminder to all laboratory personnel and students who knowingly flout laid down laboratory safety regulations.

I recall a tragic incidence as a student when a technician mistook another poisonous chemical (mercuric nitrate) for water and mistakenly drank it - he died a few days later.

His death could have been avoided had he and his colleagues obeyed the standard safety guidelines i.e. never store food and drinks in the same fridges meant for chemicals/reagents; while all chemical/regents must be clearly labelled and dated at all times.

This happened because reagent was not labelled, it was a clear liquid like water, the technicians were also storing their drinking water in the same fridge; it was a hot afternoon and the late technician was thirsty and drank almost all the content before he realised his mistake.
Very pathetic, ,mercury for that matter.
Left to me, we still have a long way to go as regards safety in Nigerian institutions.
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by fostermd(m): 12:47am On Feb 24, 2017
It's so unfortunate he died.The treatment / antidote for this poisoning is Methlthioninium chloride commonly called Methylene blue which is readily available .It is administered intravenously.
The poison (Aminobenzene) causes inadequate oxygen in the body by binding to haemoglobin ,forming methaemoglobinaemia which affects oxygen binding and ultimately shortness of breath.
It's however important to exclude other possible causes of death by conducting Forensic autopsy and Toxicology.
May his soul rest in peace.
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by Bluezy13(m): 3:28am On Feb 24, 2017
ItsMeAboki:

Sometimes the ppl you underestimate will surprise you.

Yea right!
But this is not one of the times
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by Sheggy13(m): 5:34am On Feb 24, 2017
Navalguy:
who his death EPP ?
Lost soul
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by ItsMeAboki(m): 9:27am On Feb 24, 2017
Bluezy13:

Yea right!
But this is not one of the times

Ok, you can now clear off.
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by ItsMeAboki(m): 9:31am On Feb 24, 2017
OluDare01:

Very pathetic, ,mercury for that matter.
Left to me, we still have a long way to go as regards safety in Nigerian institutions.

Yes indeed, our problem is indiscipline; we are no respecters of laws, guidelines , rules & regulations; often opting out to do what we like, even at our own expense - its sad, just too sad.
Re: OAU Lab Assistant Dies After Chemical Poured On Him.[photos] by SHISUI(m): 9:43am On Feb 24, 2017
baba.... this I so stale... Wtf am sure u ain't an oau student... 2weeks ago.. stale shit..

RIP tho

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photo:Toilet In UNIPORT Hostel (graphic Images). / ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike / ASUU Commences Indefinite Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.