Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:00 AM

Short Story: Life Without Data - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Short Story: Life Without Data (518 Views)

Whose Fault? (betrayal And Revenge) A Short Story / Short Story: "LOVE'S GRIEF" - Written By Oyekunle Lizzy Oyebola / Life Without Blacks (article) Standardgist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Short Story: Life Without Data by iOctane: 9:50am On Feb 27, 2017
My phone beeps. Message notification from service provider. It reads, ‘’Dear customer, you have used up 75% of your data bundle.’’ I go into severe shock. How could this have happened? I subscribed to a data plan of 2GB just the previous day. I check my data balance and I have only 750MB left. My world comes to a standstill.

I am broke. Yesterday I had 3200 naira, from which I used 2000 naira to purchase the data leaving me with only 1200 naira. Now, the data that was supposed to last for a month was gone in just one day! And I have no hope of getting money anytime soon. No facebook, twitter or whatsapp. I start sweating. There is no way 750 MB would last for a month.

Just then another beep. Message from service provider. My heart leaps with hope. Maybe they have discovered their error and reinstalled my data. I open the message. ‘’Dear customer, you have used up your data bundle.’’ I scream in anguish as if I am being tortured by a Spanish Inquisitor. I frantically check my data balance. 0.0MB. I look at my phone in disbelief. Without data it feels just like a brick.

I have a moment of clarity, check my update history and there it is. ‘’You successfully updated 19 applications.’’ Jesus of Kumasi! Me? When? How? I never update my applications unless it stops working or my life depends on it. All to conserve data and now it is all gone. I remember my neighbors’ daughter, Rita fiddling with my phone the previous day. She probably put it on auto update. I look out of the window and the whole world has gone bleak. No data.

Just then the realization that the worst is yet to come grips me. My credit! I had borrowed 200 naira credit and since my data was gone it was bound to start using up my credit. I quickly switch off my data and check my credit balance. ‘’Your credit balance is 2 naira.’’ I am too stunned to react.

I lie on my bed contemplating life without data. It is unbearable. I would rather use my last 1000 naira to subscribe, and starve, than to live life without data. I walk to the junction, buy 1000 naira credit, go back home and load it. Message notification. ‘’Your 200 Naira loan is fully repaid. Your balance is now 800 naira.’’

Otio! I had forgotten that I borrowed credit. I sit on my bed and put my hand on my jaw. I can’t bundle data with 800 naira. I need 200 naira to bundle data. All the money I have left is just 300 naira. But there is no point keeping the 800 naira credit, I might as well take the final plunge and buy the 200 naira credit. How I am going to survive with 100 naira is what I do not know.

I leave my phone charging and walk back to the junction to get the credit. I look so despondent. Lizzy the card seller asks if I am ok. I force a smile and say I am, but I feel like bursting into tears.

I open my door to find Rita my neighbor’s daughter in the living room fiddling with my phone. ‘’Drop that phone!’’ I scream. She is so shocked she drops it on the ground. I do not answer her silly questions and she walks out angrily. I give her a dirty look. If I was Elijah I would have called down fire from heaven to consume her. I proceed to load the credit and then bundle it but it says,’ ’you do not have sufficient credit to complete this operation.’’

Africa! Is 200 + 800 not = 1000? I check my credit balance. It is 990 naira. What kind of wahala is this? Where did the ten naira go? I check my phone and realize Rita has switched on my data and it has eaten into my credit. I cannot bundle. I need 10 Naira to complete it.

I have made up my mind. I am buying a Nokia 3310 tommorow.

x

Source: https://web.facebook.com/adonisgold/posts/1560708623956831

2 Likes

Re: Short Story: Life Without Data by mjay05(m): 10:18am On Feb 27, 2017
Lol.. Phone without data at times can make life boring... Buying data with last kobo as become part of most guy... Life with whatsapp, bbm, twitter and other social network have been preventing boredomness since 20xx...Nice story.. Thumps up man
Re: Short Story: Life Without Data by sogtek: 10:25am On Feb 27, 2017
To connect your whatsapp to your Pc... click the link below to get step-by-step guid
http://www.sogtek.com/?s=whatsapp+web
Re: Short Story: Life Without Data by Oliviaxx(f): 10:45am On Feb 27, 2017
lol...quite funny

(1) (Reply)

FICTION: Jamie And The Adaora's Wedding Day Revenge Plan / Escapade. / T

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.