Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,731 members, 7,817,012 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair - Fashion (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair (98145 Views)

Tips On How To Grow Your Natural Hair Using Cooking Ingredients / 5 Tips On How To Protect Your Natural Hair This Harmattan Season / Check Out My Natural Hair 2 Years After Being Mocked About My Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 6:04pm On Mar 08, 2020

Trimming

As Babybunny once described, trimming is a necessary evil.
It is a process of cutting split ends from your hair. I love comparing split ends to zips. Once your ends are split and damaged, there is absolutely nothing you can do to 'save' it. All you can do is trim it as fast as possible before it travels up and causes more damage. (see last gif)
So, once your hair start looking like this (see pic ), it's time to let go.

I usually twist in twists becomes it gives me a better control on how much to cut and which part to cut

Gif 1 displays my twists after trimming

Gif 2 my twist out

2 Likes

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 6:04pm On Mar 08, 2020

Coming to an end
So that is it ladies. Unfortunately, I can't drop my hot oil routine because I forgot it at home, but I promise to post about this when I'm back home.

I want to shout out to Ammyluv, Babybunny, Chimatara, Liztemi, Mamus , Moiami, SwTee, Tatacherie, Qhutetomsel and Gracile, 4peace4 for their contributions to the group.

Special thanks to Mbamto, whom I fell like I'm disappointing because I knew how much she loved the group.

If your name is not on the list, I'm sorry. It's nothing personal, I swear. I just sometimes saved your names as letters instead of your Nl names, to make the adding into the group process easier. But shout out to you as well, I really appreciate.

So coming to an end, I'd love to shout out to my bestie jannette, who's been there from day one and whose hair journey you can follow here on nl

https://www.nairaland.com/5677863/growing-out-hair-natural-hair

Another one is that of neloyah

https://www.nairaland.com/5714515/nappily-ever-after#87098431

I wish you all the best in your hair journey and if you have any questions regarding hair, you're of course free to ask me. However, mention fierry instead of lovelygurl.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Thegamingorca(m): 6:12pm On Mar 08, 2020
Got any tips for blokes going bald?
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 7:07pm On Mar 08, 2020
Unfortunately, the gifs are small and sometimes unclear, the pictures sometimes are also not 'straight', but that's because nl only allows a certain amount of kb and mb, so I had to compress them all.

1 Like

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 7:11pm On Mar 08, 2020
Thegamingorca:
Got any tips for blokes going bald?

Are you going bald?
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by gracile(f): 1:40pm On Mar 14, 2020
fieryy:

Coming to an end
So that is it ladies. Unfortunately, I can't drop my hot oil routine because I forgot it at home, but I promise to post about this when I'm back home.

I want to shout out to Ammyluv, Babybunny, Chimatara, Liztemi, Mamus , Moiami, SwTee, Tatacherie, Qhutetomsel and Gracile, 4peace4 for their contributions to the group.

Special thanks to Mbamto, whom I fell like I'm disappointing because I knew how much she loved the group.

If your name is not on the list, I'm sorry. It's nothing personal, I swear. I just sometimes saved your names as letters instead of your Nl names, to make the adding into the group process easier. But shout out to you as well, I really appreciate.

So coming to an end, I'd love to shout out to my bestie jannette, who's been there from day one and whose hair journey you can follow here on nl

Another one is that of neloyah

I wish you all the best in your hair journey and if you have any questions regarding hair, you're of course free to ask me. However, mention fierry instead of lovelygurl.

Awwn lovelygurl I’ve missed you!
Please add me back on the group I lost my phone so I’m no longer on the group
Here’s my number:
Lemme know when you have so I can modify and delete my number from here. Thank you
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 7:18am On Mar 15, 2020
gracile:

Awwn lovelygurl I’ve missed you!
Please add me back on the group I lost my phone so I’m no longer on the group
Here’s my number:
Lemme know when you have so I can modify and delete my number from here. Thank you

Hi gracile, long time no see. Unfortunately I can no longer continue with the group. My reasons are stated
fieryy:
Hi from lovelygurl's second account. It's been a long time I've logged in onto my first account lovelygurl and when I finally did, I was shocked by the many mentions from this thread. Ladies wanting to join the natural hair whatsapp group, some having questions regarding their hair and the list goes on and on.
When I created this thread 3 years ago, I wanted to encourage more ladies to embrace the beauty of their natural hair. I myself at that point was going through a transitioning period from relaxed to natural . I feel so honoured that I was able to achieve this and I'm also very proud of myself, despite going through my few first posts and literally cringing at almost every sentence. But I mean, it's ok, we learn, we grow. Change is constant, change should be expected.

Despite having a lot fun documenting my natural hair journey, sharing it with guys while also sharing my knowledge with you, it was at a phase of my life where I had more time.
Initially, I was posting quite a lot in the natural hair group, but at some point I just could no longer keep up and come up with the kind of content I'd have loved to.
It is easy to get absorbed into the YouTube world and get frustrated with the enormous amount of information, which might lead to confusion on which products to use.
Therefore, in the group I tried not to just talk about my regime and what worked for me, but also address the science behind our hair. This was very important to me, as I wanted you guys to understand how to take care of your hair based on porosity, density, thickness, the amount of sebum your scalp produces etc. as this are very essential when it comes to the health and length of your natural hair.
All these however took a lot of time - the time, which I simply no longer have. Hence, this is probably going to be one of my last posts on both the thread, as well as the group. Furthermore, I'd be leaving the group. I mean, it's basically dead, considering the fact that I no longer post there.

The next few posts are going to be a very detailed version of my current hair regime and is going to be divided into 5 sections:
Prepoo
Shampoo
Deep condition
LCO and LOC
Trimming

Without further ado, let's begin!

1 Like

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by neloyah: 2:34pm On Mar 22, 2020
This is one lovely thread I can't get enough of. Thank you fieryy for going through with it...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by RealFirstLady(f): 10:35pm On Mar 23, 2020
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Khonifer: 3:30am On May 01, 2020
Fieryy

Hey there. I just wanted to say your thread has been extremely helpful. I just cut all my hair off and can not wait to see the progress while following all the instructions on here. Thanks!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 10:05am On May 01, 2020
Khonifer:
Fieryy

Hey there. I just wanted to say your thread has been extremely helpful. I just cut all my hair off and can not wait to see the progress while following all the instructions on here. Thanks!!!!

Awwww, thank you so much! I'm glad you found this thread helpful. You big chopping is such a big step to make, you go girl! I also can't wait to see or read about your progress.

Jannette also did her second big chop recently. You can follow her progress on

I think it helps to go through the journey with another naturalista

Another inspiring thread is that of neloyah

Wishing you all the best in your hair journey and feel free to ask any questions you might have regarding your hair cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Khonifer: 1:17pm On May 01, 2020
fieryy:

Awwww, thank you so much! I'm glad you found this thread helpful. You big chopping is such a big step to make, you go girl! I also can't wait to see or read about your progress.

Jannette also did her second big chop recently. You can follow her progress on

I think it helps to go through the journey with another naturalista

Another inspiring thread is that of neloyah

Wishing you all the best in your hair journey and feel free to ask any questions you might have regarding your hair cheesy

Thank you for those threads! I think I might create one lol. Anyways my only question is, there’s somewhere in this thread you mentioned we LP people should avoid heavy oils like coconut oil, but somewhere else you said it was for all hair types soooo clarification?
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 2:06pm On May 01, 2020
Khonifer:

Thank you for those threads! I think I might create one lol. Anyways my only question is, there’s somewhere in this thread you mentioned we LP people should avoid heavy oils like coconut oil, but somewhere else you said it was for all hair types soooo clarification?

This thread is old, but I think I might posts a few new posts to to clarify a lot of things in order to avoid this kind of confusion lol.

A lot of naturalistas might advice you to go for lighter oils if your hair is LP, and heavier oils if your hair is HP.

However, from what I've learnt during my hair journey, although porosity gives you an idea about the kind of techniques you should use in order for products to absorb ( that means if your hair is LP, use indirect heat and if HP moisturise more frequently), it doesn't really give us insight on which kind of products to use.

I now strongly believe this depends on your hair strands and whether they are thick, medium or fine. I'd advice people with fine hair strands to go for lighter oils and butters whereas people with thicker strands should go for heavier oils and butter

My hair is LP but my strands are thick. I used to use lighter oils before, but they did nothing to my hair. I now use shea butter in literally everything, my prepoo, hot oil treatments, as a sealant and my hair loves it. The leave in I use is also very thick as well and once indirect heat is applied, it does absorb into my hair.

As for coconut oil, coconut is is able to penetrate the hair shaft. However, I personally only like coconut oil when I wash it out (e.g in a prepoo), but as a sealant? Hell naaaah, it makes my hair kind of brittle and stringy. I'd advice you to just play around and try it out. Your hair might love or hate it, or only love it when used a certain way.

And you creating a natural hair thread where you share your journey with others would be so freaking doope!! You have no idea how many ladies you might inspire and who'll learn from your mistakes lol( You'll definitely make a lot of them. We all did grin)

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by neloyah: 9:41pm On May 16, 2020
Ukaface check out this thread, it has virtually everything you'd be needing in your journey. Cheers!
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:15pm On May 18, 2020
All you need to know about your strands

Based on the question: "Should people with low porosity avoid heavy oils?"

Before answering the question above, I'd love to talk about hair strands and maybe then you'd be able to understand why and how my conclusion came to be.

First and foremost, we need to define what exactly hair strands are. Hair strands are, as the name suggests individual strands that grow out of your follicles. These follicles could either be based on your scalp, arm, legs, armpits etc., basically everywhere hair grows from because if you remember correctly follicles are sacs/little holes, in which hair grows from. (Pic. 1 displays an image of how these follicles look under the microscope. Cool, uhn grin?)

1 Like

So to sum things up, a hair strand = a single, individual hair

Since that is very much clear now, lets move on to differentiate between these strands.
Now your hair strands can either be fine, medium or thick(some describe this as coarse too) and this depends on the diameter of your individual strands.

With that being said, how exactly do I know in which range my hair diameter falls into?

In response to the question above, I took the hair strand test.

All you need for the test is a:
• A thread
• And hair strands from each section of your scalp
--> I chose a strand from my front section, middle section and side section (I only chose one side section, which is my left as the strands aren't different from that of my right)

1 Like

What now?

1. Divide the thread into two by pulling them apart (See pic 1 )
2. Divide the thread a second time (See pic 2)
3. Compare with your strands (See pic 3)

Results:

• If your hair is thinner that the thread
--> Your strands are fine

• If your hair is the same size as the thread
--> Your strands are medium

• If your hair is thicker than the thread
--> Your hair is thick

1 Like

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:16pm On May 18, 2020
Now back to the question: "Should people with low porosity avoid heavy oils?"

As mentioned before in my previous post:
"Porosity describes the hair's ability to absorb and retain moisture"

To find out more about porosity and what yours is, feel free to take the test (This thread page 19)

Knowing your hair porosity goes a long mile in giving you insight on the kind of technique to use, in order for products to be absorbed into the hair. If your hair is low in porosity, indirect heat is needed for products to absorb into the hair. This is not the case, if your hair is high in porosity, however you need to moisturize more frequently, as your cuticles are open..

Despite your hair porosity giving you insight on which technique and how often to moisturize, it gives little to no insight (in my opinion) on the kind of products to use.

The reason why I decided to talk about hair strands earlier on is because I strongly believe they are the one ones that give you idea on which products to use, that means whether to go for heavier oils or lighters oils, thicker conditioners or lighter conditioners, or thicker leave ins or lighter leave ins.

The maximum absorption level of your strands, I believe are based on your hair's diameter.

Imagine having 3 sponges/foams of different sizes: big, medium and small. Without a doubt, I believe we can all agree that the biggest sponge is very much capable of absorbing more water than the smallest. So to sum things up:

The maximum absorption level of the bigger sponge/foam is higher than that of the smaller sponge

Therefore, there is only how much fine strands are able to absorb and once it reaches its maximum absorption level, the rest of the products are just going to sit on your hair, weighing it down and this could probably lead to build ups, as well as dandruffs.

However, if your hair strands are thicker your maximum absorption levels are higher and your hair strands are capable of absorbing more and thicker products

2 Likes 1 Share

So here's a little experiment (hahaha, I low key feel like a scientist, lmaooooo grin grin grin grin)

Our materials are going to be a dry sponge, a bowl of water and an empty bowl.

The goal is to use the sponge to absorb water and wring it into the empty bowl

Pic 1: Bowls and sponge

Once the absorption level of the sponge has been reached, I'll wring it into the empty bowl. (see gif)

2 Likes 1 Share

Observation:
1. Leaving the sponge longer once the absorption maximum has been reached, doesn't result into more water being absorbed. The sponge remained the same: full, wet and incapable of absorbing more, until I wringed it and dived it into water again

Conclusion:

• Even if you use indirect heat to open up every single cuticle in your hair , once the maximum absorption has been reached, it is no longer going to absorb any products.
• This also means you can keep your deep conditioner in for as long as you want, 24 hours, even 48 hours, once your absorption maximum has been reached, it is over.
• Finer strands reach their maximum absorption maximum level faster than thicker strands

Therefore, the only indication to how much your hair can absorb is based on the diameter
• bigger sponge absorbs more water/thicker strands thicker and more products (Otherwise, it's not going to be enough and your hair might still feel dry)
• Smaller sponge absorbs less water/finer strands thinner and less products (Thicker products could lead to product build ups)

Fun fact: The maximum absorption of hair lies between 20 - 30 mins. After that your hair is probably not going to absorb a single thing, unless when dry again and you re-moisturise (just like I wringed out the sponge)

1 Like

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:19pm On May 18, 2020
So should people with low porosity avoid heavy oils?

Not necessary. If you have low porosity and fine strands, yes. But if you have low porosity hair and thicker strands, heavy oils and products are your friends.
Of course, since you have low porosity hair, you still need indirect heat for your cuticles to open up and products to be absorbed in the first place, regardless of having fine or thick strands.

Khonifer, here's the detailed reply I promised. I know I'm late, but I hope I was you now understand where I'm coming from grin
Glatt uebersehen
Oops
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:20pm On May 18, 2020
My herbal infused oil and butter

I am incredibly excited to share this because this is something I've been working on since last year December, lol. Anyway, here we go

I'm not going to bore you with how the idea came to be, but to sum things up: I did plan on incorporating more herbs and organic and most important environmental friendly products in my hair in year 2020. The first thing I knew I wanted to change were my sealants, that means oil, butter and custard, followed by my cleansers, deep conditioners and leave ins.

Today we'll solely be focussing on my oil and butters and in two weeks I'll post an update on my custard.

Anyway, long story cut short, let's dive right into it!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:20pm On May 18, 2020
I started by coming up with a demand/requirement list of what I wanted my oil and butter to look like and be able to do. I divided the list of demands into necessary and "would be nice to have". The necessary ones being the most important ones are solely based on hair care, while the "nice to haves" are solely based on aesthetic reasons.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:23pm On May 18, 2020
Starting with the oil, which I planned on using only on my edges, it was very important to me that it was very penetrative, easily absorbed by my edges and also lightweight. This is due to the fact that edges are usually thinner than the rest of your hair strands and are therefore most likely incapable of absorbing heavier products/heavy butters.

I also had a few ideas on what my oils should be made up of and incorporate

2 Likes 1 Share

I also created a list of oils you can use based on the thickness of your strands. They all contain the elements mentioned above

3 Likes 1 Share

Since we now have our base oils, it's time to focus on the herbs

I wanted my herbs to be stimulating and smell good and therefore those two had been the only criteria when choosing my herbs

Rosemary, lavender, hibiscus and peppermint are one of the most stimulating herbs you'd find out there. The herbs I chose also smell nice and all have antioxidants properties, which help improve the connective tissues of hair follicles, hereby reducing breakage. It's also acts has a stimulant to the scalp.

One of my reasons for choosing these herbs is also because they are gentle and most likely safe to use. I didn't want anything strong, especially since I plan using the oil twice a day - in the morning and night. Using herbs that are too strong everyday could lead to the exact opposite of what I'm trying to achieve.
Essential oils for example are highly concentrated oils made from leaves, herbs, barks and rinds. Although very beneficial, once applied directly to the skin or scalp without a carrier oil, it may lead to dryness, itchiness etc
Same as with herbs extremely high in antioxidants, Lemons are very high in antioxidants, due to its high level of vitamin c, but once applied to the skin directly, it's probably going to sting and dry out your skin.

Therefore if you plan on using stronger herbs than I am e.g. brahmi, amla, turmeric etc, I advice you to either use a very small amount for your everyday oil, or better still use a normal amount, apply to your oil or deep conditioner and use every week or every second week. NEVER APPLY directly to your scalp or hair!

Also, as you can see based on the pictures below, the herbs are DRIED herbs. Infusing with fresh herbs will result to all sorts of mold and bacteria in your oil.

Pic 1: Lavender
Pic 2: Hibiscus
Pic 3: Rosemary
Pic 4: Peppermint

2 Likes

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 5:22pm On May 18, 2020
Since I'll be using it on my edges, which I'll describe as medium strands, I'll be infusing my herbs in sunflower and olive oil.

I also added peppermint oil and tea tree oil essential oils. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of the tea tree oil because I added it in after it was infused.

3 Likes

Store in a cool dry place for at least 4 weeks. I infused my oil for From January to March, strained out the herbs by using a sieve and added new herbs into it, which I infused from March till May 9 (just because I'm extra, lol grin)

Pic: the end result

2 Likes

As you all know, I wanted my oil to be orange, therefore I decided to infuse a carrot oil.

I washed and peeled the carrots and added them to the a jar filled with a little bit of olive oil (Pic 1, it's so beautiful! )
I then microwaved until the carrots were drained of their colour and were brown. I did this 3 times and got this amazing colour (pic 2)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Brazilian Lady's Butt Explodes After Her Implants Were Infected (Graphic Photos) / G- Strings Or Granny Panties, Boxers or Briefs? / Tiniest Waist: Su Naing To Beat 1939 Guiness World Record (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.