Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,077 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:38 AM

Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair - Fashion (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair (98122 Views)

Tips On How To Grow Your Natural Hair Using Cooking Ingredients / 5 Tips On How To Protect Your Natural Hair This Harmattan Season / Check Out My Natural Hair 2 Years After Being Mocked About My Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by AgbenuAnna(f): 6:41pm On Aug 24, 2018
Please add me back to the group
Hair grows

2 Likes

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by iamfertile(f): 2:36pm On May 07, 2019
lovelygurl:
2) Transitioning

If you are not bold enough to do the big chop you can transition. This might be the most frustrating path to choose since you'll be dealing with two hair textures. All you have to do is
-stop using relaxers or any chemical hair treatments
-avoid any heat usage
-do a loooot of protective styles (e.g braids, twists, wigs etc) This do not require daily styling and maintenance, hence less strain/breakage on you hair
-be careful around the line where your natural hair and relaxed haireö meet, that's where it's the weakest
-Trim as little as and as often as you want to till you are fully natural

hi, I noticed that my hair (especially) frontal part are now becoming scary maybe its because I retorch it almost every month last year couple with using bonding glue for wig cap. so i decided that i'll not retorch it to keep natural hair this year. thank God, the hair is now growing naturally been 5months now I haven't retorch. pls, what cream or home remedy can boost its growth? I use honey + lemon, mayannaisse or eggs sometime
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by NikkyHabFabric(f): 1:44am On May 08, 2019
Do you want to look stunning on your Wedding day, Burial functions and other occasions?

Are u looking for Aso-Ebi Laces?

NikkyHabFabrics got u covered

We have Laser cut, 3D flower, Velvet, Dry, Organza, Hand made beaded, Swiss Voile, Sequins,Ghalila Laces etc at UNBEATABLE Prices

Call or whatsapp

Worldwide Delivery

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by heryourbammie(f): 8:58am On May 08, 2019
lovelygurl:
Whatsapp Group "Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair

Anyone interested in joining a whatsapp group should feel free to send me a pm and then her/his( cos we do not want to be a sexist cheesy) number. I would not post it here directly for safety's sake.

The Group

♡ will act as a motivation to anyone interested, since we'll be sharing our hair journey with each other and also be pushing ourselves
♡reviews of products will be shared, in order for you to have an idea if a product is/not going to work for you
♡hair videos/hair style ideas will be posted on my whatsapp status
♡names of naturalistas on social media, who you can follow will be listed

Note:
I'm not up for drama. What happens here on Nairaland stays on Nairaland, in other words I don't care if aunty Bose has beef with aunty Ife here on Nairaland, as long has you don't bring your wahala into the group we are fine.

Tina1223
I hope it's not too late to join
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by akakc47: 10:06am On May 10, 2019
Hope its not too late to join add me.08061559787
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by shndy: 5:15am On May 21, 2019
Does anyone know where I can loc my hair in lagos or ibadan.?
Thank you
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Maryam1234(f): 6:35am On May 21, 2019
Please add me up,I have kept my hair natural all my life my mum added relaxer when I was 8 and it damaged my hair I was lucky to attend a secondary school where cutting of hair is compulsory until you enter SS 1,when I started making my hair at SS 1,it grows beautifully my hair texture is rubber like and looks like it's relaxed naturally so no need adding creams .I cut the hair again as a result of some superstitious belief that it's too full and I will be prone to spiritual attack; my parents cut it against my wish in 2011 and since then I have been keeping it real naturally. I have carried my hair naturally since 2012 and I promised to maintain it till the end of time. I really need this hair tip's badly because I am now a mother and it's obvious my offspring are carrying my hair texture so we have to learn maintenance techniques Asap.here is my phone number op please add me to the WhatsApp group 08167232501.
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Madrededios(f): 3:31pm On May 23, 2019
Please add me to the group 08162222581. I am on the verge of cutting it all off. My hair is super thin and breaks a lot.
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Jahdamilola: 6:25am On May 25, 2019
pls add my number, its not easy keeping my hair natural, 07031576192
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by tatacherie: 7:57am On Jun 12, 2019
Hello lovelies been a while.
Ma petites hair now breaks a lot. Dunno what to use again. I've tried ACV, guava leaves amongst others
Pls help!
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by isererefunmi: 1:59pm On Jun 12, 2019
Pls, add me to the group oh, I want to have a big chop soon, no more relaxer forever, my God should help me. 08060724139
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:32am On Aug 04, 2019
Yonce:

Hello everyone.

Please I wear alot of wigs cause I rarely have time to style my hair. My hair's always in cornrows, please is there a particular regime I can adopt to aid hair growth and maintain length?
Wash your hair regularly, as it's easy to neglect hair when wearing wigs. Massaging the scalp aids hair growth and one of the things I swear by. It will grow like weed, no joke.

Brooke60:
Hi, longest time. We were talking last year about Dreadlocks. I have locked my hair. It will soon be a year but having problems with the edges (although my stylist said I should not worry).
And the relocking, which one is better. Palm-rolling or Pin locking?
How are your locs now? Good to see another loc'er around here.

1 Like

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Yonce(f): 9:24am On Aug 04, 2019
theButterfly:
Wash your hair regularly, as it's easy to neglect hair when wearing wigs. Massaging the scalp aids hair growth and one of the things I swear by. It will grow like weed, no joke.

Lol.
It's been more than a year since I made that post here. grin
Thanks for the reply.
I've been doing exactly what you typed sans the scalp massager because I don't actively pursue hair growth these days or take my hair too seriously for that matter.

I just wash and deep condition twice a month and leave the hair in braids or flat twists and rock wigs.
I've seen, like, immerse growth since then.

Since I'm more interested in volume right now, (I want thick full HEALTHY hair) would you recommend rice water? And if yes, how do I get rid of the disgusting smell associated with it.

1 Like

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 1:10am On Aug 05, 2019
Yonce:

Lol.
It's been more than a year since I made that post here. grin
Thanks for the reply.
I've been doing exactly what you typed sans the scalp massager because I don't actively pursue hair growth these days or take my hair too seriously for that matter.

I just wash and deep condition twice a month and leave the hair in braids or flat twists and rock wigs.
I've seen, like, immerse growth since then.

Since I'm more interested in volume right now, (I want thick full HEALTHY hair) would you recommend rice water? And if yes, how do I get rid of the disgusting smell associated with it.
You're welcome. I like talking about hair. Feel free to ask anything.

Idk much about the rice water thing, tbh. I've heard about it but haven't looked into it or watch YouTube videos about it, mostly b|c I've locs now. When I first went natural I was doing all sorts of things: prepoos, cowashes, homemade concoctions, but I soon realized hair thrives when it's left alone and gave up those things. Genetics play a big role in hair thickness, but there are things you can do to effect it. 1. Take Biotin. It can break you out, but drinking lots of water. 2. Water alone is also very good for the hair. If you're drinking enough your hair would be fuller. 3. Massage your scalp w| castor oil. I switch it up sometimes and wear wigs too, even though I've locs, so I still take care of my underneath. I only do #1 and #2 and my sisterlocs are quite thick.

1 Like

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by PweetieDhee: 10:26am On Aug 11, 2019
Hello. Pls I want to be added to the group
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Dara2: 2:45pm On Aug 14, 2019
Pretty Please, i want to be added to the group grin
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Laserman: 5:27pm On Aug 19, 2019
Low Level Laser machines for sale

They can be used for laser hair rejuvenation, laser acne treatment and laser wrinkles treatment.

The prices are:

Brand new laser machine = 250k

Fairly Used laser machine = 150k

For enquiries, call 08067502337

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Stolidp(f): 1:37pm On Nov 01, 2019
Having natural hair might seem difficult but that’s probably because you don’t know your hair porosity ��

Check out my new blogpost and treat your hair with love ❤️
https://chiderastephen.com/know-your-natural-hair-porosity/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by efex01(m): 6:17pm On Nov 01, 2019
Pls add me to the group 07012252033
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by ADUKKY(f): 7:30pm On Nov 02, 2019
Please, does anyone know where I can get this attached products especially the leave in conditioner. Jumia only sells the full combo and I have checked stores around me even justrite. Thanks.
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Stolidp(f): 7:52am On Jan 19, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxyQq2ysFV1V3fY3c5VioDGCokGF5Ajjn

Here’s a link to videos that help your natural hair journey

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:45pm On Mar 08, 2020
Hi from lovelygurl's second account. It's been a long time I've logged in onto my first account lovelygurl and when I finally did, I was shocked by the many mentions from this thread. Ladies wanting to join the natural hair whatsapp group, some having questions regarding their hair and the list goes on and on.
When I created this thread 3 years ago, I wanted to encourage more ladies to embrace the beauty of their natural hair. I myself at that point was going through a transitioning period from relaxed to natural . I feel so honoured that I was able to achieve this and I'm also very proud of myself, despite going through my few first posts and literally cringing at almost every sentence. But I mean, it's ok, we learn, we grow. Change is constant, change should be expected.

Despite having a lot fun documenting my natural hair journey, sharing it with guys while also sharing my knowledge with you, it was at a phase of my life where I had more time.
Initially, I was posting quite a lot in the natural hair group, but at some point I just could no longer keep up and come up with the kind of content I'd have loved to.
It is easy to get absorbed into the YouTube world and get frustrated with the enormous amount of information, which might lead to confusion on which products to use.
Therefore, in the group I tried not to just talk about my regime and what worked for me, but also address the science behind our hair. This was very important to me, as I wanted you guys to understand how to take care of your hair based on porosity, density, thickness, the amount of sebum your scalp produces etc. as this are very essential when it comes to the health and length of your natural hair.
All these however took a lot of time - the time, which I simply no longer have. Hence, this is probably going to be one of my last posts on both the thread, as well as the group. Furthermore, I'd be leaving the group. I mean, it's basically dead, considering the fact that I no longer post there.

The next few posts are going to be a very detailed version of my current hair regime and is going to be divided into 5 sections:
Prepoo
Shampoo
Deep condition
LCO and LOC
Trimming

Without further ado, let's begin!

2 Likes

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:46pm On Mar 08, 2020
Prepoo

Pre poo stands for pre shampoo and just like its name suggests, it is a process usually done before the shampooing process. Its goal is to protect your hair from being stripped off its natural oils and moisture - something that could occur during the shampooing process.
There are different ways to prepoo. Including using oils, butters or pre poo products by some brands.

What you need to know?
Follicles: sacs from which hair strands grow from
Sebum: the hair and body's natural oil.

I personally now use a mixture of oils, butter and honey. All you need are:

1) A clean bowl
This is where all the ingredients will be mixed together

2) Shea butter
Shea butter is derived from the shea tree and is known for its anti inflammatory and antioxidant properties. These helps reduce inflammations and soothes dry and itchy scalp. Moreover, the anti oxidants help protect hair follicles against damages from harmful molecules
Shea butter is also very rich in vitamin E, vitamin A and vitamin F, which helps strengthen the hair strands and reduce breakage. Vitamin A also helps the scalp produce healthy sebum, which will then coat the hair strands, hereby protecting it from breakage. Due to shea butter's fatty acids (especially oleic acid), it also helps restore and protect the hair from harsh weather conditions.

3) Olive oil
Olive oil has high antioxidant properties as well and is rich in vitamin E. Its fats are monounsaturated, so are mostly oleic acid. Oleic acids help control water loss (Note water is moisture) and therefore make your hair softer and moisturized for a longer period of time.

4) Coconut oil
Coconut oil is high in lauric acid- an acid that is able to penetrate the hair shaft and helps kill bacteria and fungi, hereby preventing and protecting the hair from dandruffs etc

5) Honey
Honey is a natural humectant. Humectants attract and enable the bonding of water molecules from the air, therefore making it possible to seal down moisture from the air in your hair. This not only helps sooth dry and damaged hair, but also an inflamed scalp. Honey also possesses antifungal, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.

6) Peppermint oil
Peppermint oil helps stimulate hair growth by increasing circulation. An increased blood circulation in the scalp means an increased transportation of nutrients to the hair follicles. Vitamins and nutrients that do help with hair growth are: Vitamin A, B, C, D, E, iron, zinc and protein. In other words vegetables and fruits rich in these will definitely help stimulate hair growth

7) Spoon
To mix everything and yes, I am using a shaving stick to mix mine, lmao!

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:46pm On Mar 08, 2020
Geh

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:47pm On Mar 08, 2020
Process

After mixing, and starting with my dirty hair (see pic 2) I apply to both hair and scalp and detangle. Detangling in the sense of combing my hair and gently removing any kind of knots and shedded hair. (see pic 3. It's a gif. You have to zoom in, sorry) I always make sure I start with my ends and work myself up. Also I work in small sections, as it make the detangling process easier for me

Fun Fact: We shed up ca. 50-100 hair strands a day. This usually goes unnoticed. There is also a difference between shedding and breakage. Shedded hair are usually the same length as your hair strands whereas breakage in its literal sense means the hair broke. So, it is usually shorter than your hair strands.

Then I twist the section I just applied the pre poo on.

After every section is coated, I pack the twists all up and put on my heating cap.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:52pm On Mar 08, 2020
Heating cap

Wear for 15-30 mins

3 Likes

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:52pm On Mar 08, 2020
Porosity

I have low porosity hair.

Porosity describes the hair's ability to absorb and retain moisture

What to know:

Hair cuticles: the outermost part of the hair shaft (see third pic)

Low porosity

If your hair is low porosity like mine, it means your hair cuticles are laying flat, hereby making it difficult to absorb moisture. A solution to this problem happens to be indirect heat, which helps raise the hair cuticles, making it possible for the hair to absorb moisture. This is why I implemented the use of a heating cap in my regime. However, once moisture is absorbed, it stays locked in.

Medium/Normal porosity
Having medium porosity hair means your hair cuticles are not as flat, but are also not very raised, so somewhere in between. This is the ideal porosity. Indirect heat is not really needed for the hair to absorb moisture and the due to the cuticles not being completely raised, the absorbed moisture is retained for a certain amount of days.

High porosity

High porosity, as you can guess by now means the hair cuticles are raised, Moisture is therefore absorbed quickly, but the raised cuticles give room for a quicker loss of moisture, since the moisture can't really stay locked in.

Pic 1) same twist I showed in the previous pic. It now has a healthier sheen after wearing heating cap

Still confused on what your hair porosity is? Take this test (See last pic)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Oluwahelpme(m): 4:56pm On Mar 08, 2020
fieryy:
Geh
Hello beautiful lady
Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 6:00pm On Mar 08, 2020

Shampoo

This phase is pretty obvious. Shampoos help clean the scalp, which is very important when it comes to its health. A healthy and clean scalp leads to a healthy hair growth and healthy hair strands. A dirty scalp however could lead to the clogging of hair follicles, which in turn might lead to a slow hair growth rate and with time inflammation. It is also capable of encouraging all sorts of bacteria growth and I'm sure you all know, that is not the kind of growth we want.

What you need:

Shampoo

What you might want:

That pink tool (picture 2). Sometimes I find it difficult to get to my scalp and the tool helps me with every small little corner of my scalp, lol.
Besides (although I don't really do this), but you can also use it as a scalp massager, hereby increasing stimulation.

In addition to that, I shampoo my hair in twists, as it always gives me an easier acces to my scalp.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Deep Condition

This process is very easy:
Unravel a twist
Apply conditioner
Detangle
Move on to the next twist

But what exactly does deep conditioning do?

Deep conditioning is a process done after the shampoo process and helps restore the lost moisture and maintian the strength of the hair strands. This is a very very important step and should be implemented into your hair regime.

After every twist is untangled, I pack it all up and put on my heating cap again

5 Likes 2 Shares

LCO and LOC
After deep conditioning, it's time to moisturize and style your hair.
You can either do the LCO method or LOC method.
L stands for liquid
O for oil
C for cream

I personally do the LCO method. Since I don't let my hair dry completely before this stage, liquid (water) is no longer needed. In other words, I apply my cream a.k.a leave in conditioner on to my damp hair, followed by an oil.
Unlike a deep conditioner, the leave in is nor meant to be washed off, but to actually stay in!
This step can be repeated everyday, every second day etc, depending on your hair porosity and how dry this feels.

After doing the LCO Method, I pack my hair up and wear my heating cap again, until it sinks in.

Pic 1 and 2: Hair coated in leave in

Pic 3: After it's sunk in

Gif 4: Results --> bouncy and fluffy hair

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Embracing The Beauty Of Your Natural Hair by Nobody: 6:04pm On Mar 08, 2020
Since I wasn't going for a wash and go style, I didn't do the shingling method.
The shingling method is when individual curls are coated in a leave in or gel one by one. This method helps define your curls and when done with a gel, keeps the curls intact for a longer period of time

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Brazilian Lady's Butt Explodes After Her Implants Were Infected (Graphic Photos) / G- Strings Or Granny Panties, Boxers or Briefs? / Tiniest Waist: Su Naing To Beat 1939 Guiness World Record (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.