Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,196 members, 7,839,071 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

South Africa's Saidy Brown: 'why I Shared My HIV Status On Twitter' - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / South Africa's Saidy Brown: 'why I Shared My HIV Status On Twitter' (425 Views)

Sex With Prostitute: My HIV/AIDS Test And Result Experience / HIV Status Is Indeterminate / Family Of 4 Show Their HIV Status: Wife Positive, Husband & Daughters Negative (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

South Africa's Saidy Brown: 'why I Shared My HIV Status On Twitter' by carlitob96: 10:14pm On Feb 27, 2017
When I found out at 14 that I was HIV-positive, I didn't think I would live to see 18, I am turning 22 this year." Since Saidy Brown tweeted those words on Friday, thousands of people have re-shared her hopeful message, with many praising her courage for speaking publicly about her own experience with the virus.
Activist Saidy, who describes herself as an HIVictor in her Twitter bio, has been speaking to the BBC about the extraordinary reaction to her post, why it took so long for her to be diagnosed and the challenges of dating for someone who is HIV-positive.
Deciding to tweet
"I've always disclosed my status. I started disclosing it when I was 18. I usually use Facebook to talk to people about HIV and Aids," she says.
"But I've been having this urgent feeling to post it on Twitter, so it wouldn't be just limited to my Facebook friends. I needed the world to get into conversations about this virus."

http://www.carlybrigs.ga/2017/02/south-africas-saidy-brown-why-i-shared.html

(1) (Reply)

Nursing Mothers Block Hospital Gate Over Babies’ Death Due To Outage / ‘to Avoid Sickness, Walk Barefooted’ / 6 Ways To Prevent Meningitis And Immunizations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.