Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,945 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:36 PM

Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars (47702 Views)

7 Reasons Why Innoson Cars Can Be Relied On / RE: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars (Misleading Post By AutoReportNG) / Durability Of Innoson Cars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by tutudesz: 7:51pm On Mar 01, 2017
LordXaaan:
Afonjaic argument
When we are discussing serious issue you learn to shut up and Am from Delta state you fool!

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by FASH23(m): 7:54pm On Mar 01, 2017
Clemsworld:
WE ARE NOT BUYING UNTIL HE DO Small Launching & PROMO!

Come to Lag. And launch it, then give out 10 free to first attendees

Do buy One and get one free or win free fuel for 3months

grin grin shocked
grin[quote author=Clemsworld post=54179029]WE ARE NOT BUYING UNTIL HE DO Small Launching & PROMO!

grin ; ALAKOBA
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by tutudesz: 7:55pm On Mar 01, 2017
bigsmoke2:
There is really no standization in Nigeria. even Korean models on sale in Nigeria are substandard when compared to those available in other markets like the US . People who are supposed to ensure this cars meet necessary standards will collect brible and turn a blind eye to substandard practices. And the clandestine way innoson operate further worsens matter. No adverts little to no publicty. Why can't we have documentary that allows unlimited access to their factories, aired on TV why can't we have crash test results for each of their models. They need to give us reason to buy their cars things like durability, mpg, saftey, competitive prices etc. we can just put money on the unknown in the name of patriotism
that just the sad part of it. the agencies that are suppose to make sure of the safety standards can't be trusted at all.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by messenger4891: 7:56pm On Mar 01, 2017
most importantly ,he manufactures for the rich unfortunately they are few in this country....let him continue building G-wagon n d rest
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by Scetrocom: 7:56pm On Mar 01, 2017
AutoReportNG:
When it comes to cars, luxury and showing off, Nigeria takes the lead in the world. It is only a Nigerian that will have 3 to 4 cars and still stay in a rented apartment, no wonder the likes of Kia, Toyota, and the likes take Nigeria as their second home. Lagos especially being the commercial city of Nigeria boasts of roughly 5 million cars.

When Goodluck Jonathan administration signed the automotive law last 2 years, it was greeted with mixed feelings as Innoson was on the lips of many Nigerians that it will help boost its local productivity, but this seems not to be the case as the only indigenous automobile company, Innoson Motors is struggling to catch up, it was reported last year that the company was considering closing its factory and sacking all its workers which the company later denied and released a statement.

We did a cross check, and a background analysis on why Nigerians are not patronizing their own despite Nigerians love for cars, luxury and showing off, these few findings are what we found disturbing, and we urged the management to quickly look into it.

1. Customer Care/Social Media

A Chinese proverb says, "If you don't know how to smile, don't think of opening a shop." Nothing amounts to great customer service and relations, a cross check at Innoson Motors website is nothing to write about, the site was linked together with its parent company. Innoson is a brand itself and so should be made to stand out, the navigation, the contents there are just too boring to read or to assimilate. It is being expected that Innoson website ought to have a functional chat, email and social media that is up and running. A visit to their Twitter page shows that they last tweeted on 11th of Feb., 2017 and their facebook page 20th August 2016, where companies like Toyota, Peugeot, etc. tweets at least 5 times daily. Nothing amounts to having an excellent customer care, a responsive website, and a proactive social media personnel.

2. Show Rooms

I smiled when I checked for Innoson showrooms, and I can only see four in the whole of Nigeria, I said to myself, these guys are not ready for business yet. Lagos is a cosmopolitan city. Therefore, this is where your marketing strategy has to come in full force. Innoson only has one showroom in Lagos and its not even in a high brow area like VI or Lekki area, they went and site their showroom in Oshodi-Apapa Expressway. A school of thought says you take your wares to where you know your clients will be able to see them. Even if you are trying to be relevant, you need to come up with the marketing strategy to attract the high-class men you made these cars for. How many people will find you in Oshodi? BMW has at least 15 showrooms in Lagos state alone and they are located in high brow areas like Lekki, VI, Ikoyi etc. Even if you can't open a shop there, you can partner with likes of Lanre Shittu, Coscharis Motors etc. Innoson, time to wake up.

3. Spare Parts/Accessories

One of the worries of car owners is finding spare parts for their vehicles, a check at spare part dealers at Ladipo market, the largest in Africa shows that the parts are not available. I was talking to a friend who is a driver, I asked him if he has heard of Innoson Motors and he said he is just hearing the name for the first time, how can you expect someone of that caliber to introduce the brand to his company talkless of finding the spare parts in the market. I think the firm can collaborate with the spare part dealers and make these parts available to them in bulk.

4. Advert! Advert!! Advert!!!
Nothing sells in this world without an advertisement, Innoson has been behind in promotion and advertisement, I wonder if the firm is afraid to spend or partner with media houses. Last week when Mercedes-Benz wants to release its new models to the market, it invites newsmen, bloggers, and lots more. Advert can be in form sponsorship, beauty pageant etc

5. Create a niche of your brand

I see most of Innoson vehicles as a replica of some other cars I have seen before. Take for example, the Innoson G-Wagon is a complete replica of Mercedes-Benz and some of their cars, it's quite essential for them to produce something unique and relate with.

- AutoReportNG

Source
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/03/why-nigerians-are-not-buying-innoson.html
I quite agree with point 1,2,4 and they all point to the same thing- unison as a company are not blowing their whistle enough for people to give them a trial.
In addition, I still don't understand the rational behind the idea of hidding the price of their producs the last time they manage to advertise on facebook sometimes last year. They need to do aggressive advert/ marketing if they want to make headway. Focusing attention on Nigeria Govt (states and federal)will not help.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by kennybab: 8:00pm On Mar 01, 2017
AutoReportNG:
When it comes to cars, luxury and showing off, Nigeria takes the lead in the world. It is only a Nigerian that will have 3 to 4 cars and still stay in a rented apartment, no wonder the likes of Kia, Toyota, and the likes take Nigeria as their second home. Lagos especially being the commercial city of Nigeria boasts of roughly 5 million cars.

When Goodluck Jonathan administration signed the automotive law last 2 years, it was greeted with mixed feelings as Innoson was on the lips of many Nigerians that it will help boost its local productivity, but this seems not to be the case as the only indigenous automobile company, Innoson Motors is struggling to catch up, it was reported last year that the company was considering closing its factory and sacking all its workers which the company later denied and released a statement.

We did a cross check, and a background analysis on why Nigerians are not patronizing their own despite Nigerians love for cars, luxury and showing off, these few findings are what we found disturbing, and we urged the management to quickly look into it.

A Chinese proverb says, "If you don't know how to smile, don't think of opening a shop." Nothing amounts to great customer service and relations, a cross check at Innoson Motors website is nothing to write about, the site was linked together with its parent company. Innoson is a brand itself and so should be made to stand out, the navigation, the contents there are just too boring to read or to assimilate. It is being expected that Innoson website ought to have a functional chat, email and social media that is up and running. A visit to their Twitter page shows that they last tweeted on 11th of Feb., 2017 and their facebook page 20th August 2016, where companies like Toyota, Peugeot, etc. tweets at least 5 times daily. Nothing amounts to having an excellent customer care, a responsive website, and a proactive social media personnel.

2. Show Rooms

I smiled when I checked for Innoson showrooms, and I can only see four in the whole of Nigeria, I said to myself, these guys are not ready for business yet. Lagos is a cosmopolitan city. Therefore, this is where your marketing strategy has to come in full force. Innoson only has one showroom in Lagos and its not even in a high brow area like VI or Lekki area, they went and site their showroom in Oshodi-Apapa Expressway. A school of thought says you take your wares to where you know your clients will be able to see them. Even if you are trying to be relevant, you need to come up with the marketing strategy to attract the high-class men you made these cars for. How many people will find you in Oshodi? BMW has at least 15 showrooms in Lagos state alone and they are located in high brow areas like Lekki, VI, Ikoyi etc. Even if you can't open a shop there, you can partner with likes of Lanre Shittu, Coscharis Motors etc. Innoson, time to wake up.

One of the worries of car owners is finding spare parts for their vehicles, a check at spare part dealers at Ladipo market, the largest in Africa shows that the parts are not available. I was talking to a friend who is a driver, I asked him if he has heard of Innoson Motors and he said he is just hearing the name for the first time, how can you expect someone of that caliber to introduce the brand to his company talkless of finding the spare parts in the market. I think the firm can collaborate with the spare part dealers and make these parts available to them in bulk.

Nothing sells in this world without an advertisement, Innoson has been behind in promotion and advertisement, I wonder if the firm is afraid to spend or partner with media houses. Last week when Mercedes-Benz wants to release its new models to the market, it invites newsmen, bloggers, and lots more. Advert can be in form sponsorship, beauty pageant etc

I see most of Innoson vehicles as a replica of some other cars I have seen before. Take for example, the Innoson G-Wagon is a complete replica of Mercedes-Benz and some of their cars, it's quite essential for them to produce something unique and relate with.

- AutoReportNG

Source
they shud try reduce their price.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by GEJPosterity: 8:03pm On Mar 01, 2017
AutoReportNG:
We did a cross check, and a background analysis

2. Show Rooms

You did your background checks huh?

And I guess you didn't see this: https://twitter.com/innosonmotors/status/707631815750717440?lang=en

No 20, Ligali Ayorinde Street, VI.

I drive past this showroom everyday.

When you are hustling for traffic with your crap posts, at least try to fake some competence.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by guychidile: 8:04pm On Mar 01, 2017
hmm,I smell lies,but why can't individual,local governments,state governments and federal governments help this young man,buy buying his cars/trucks instead of lambasting him
...imagine.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by Hanibal(m): 8:04pm On Mar 01, 2017
Innoson has zero presence on the Internet, I searched Google for information on the price of their cars.. And the only info even Google could come up with are dated 2015 and February 2016. How can I buy products whose price range I can't access.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by GEJPosterity: 8:06pm On Mar 01, 2017
chronique:
I agree with the OP on the issue of showroom. When Gej signed that automotive industry bill and everyone started talking about Innoson, I quickly searched for their contact and reached out to them. I had a proposal for them and even discussed it with my partner. I was ready to go take a loan to have a branded showroom to display their cars but the attitude of the person who spoke to me, wasn't encouraging. After several attempts, I just perished the idea and focused on my tokunbo sales. I really do think their customer service and pr is poor. They're like a pretty lady looking for a spouse, but always hiding in the dark. No one sees them. We all just know that someone said there's a pretty lady in that corner of the street.
That's what happens in a Nigerian one man business where people have their positions based on sentiment and not competence. I happen to know IVM's PR and marketing representative and the guy is utterly empty and useless. But he is a family friend to oga at the top so...

Nigeria is not, and is not likely to ever be ready.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by solomedoh: 8:09pm On Mar 01, 2017
I work with a media house in Delta State.we wrote then proposal in JAN this year so as to promote their brand on our both on the TV or Radio platform or either of them. They indicated interest but we are yet to hear from them as they told us they we contact us. If you are to remain on top you must do constant advertisement.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by Nobody: 8:09pm On Mar 01, 2017
I really want Innoson motors to succeed as it is the only indigenous Nigerian car manufacturer. I propose the FG make it policy for all govt agencies to buy Innoson
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by Originalsly: 8:09pm On Mar 01, 2017
slurryeye:
Op I agree with you, especially the 5th reason.
Innoson needs to design cars distinct from designs of known brands. Why would someone buy an Innoson SUV that looks exactly like Toyota Prado when he has money to buy Prado
Hundai is becoming a big player in the auto market wayyy more because of imitation rather than being distinct. If a guy has money to buy Prado. .. it doesn't matter what Innoson makes... imitation or distinct.....he will buy Prado.
@topic.... agree with most of the points..... advertising and promotion of the brand is lacking ... but even more harmful is allowing the established brands to compete....that's a local industry killer.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by kennybab: 8:10pm On Mar 01, 2017
ALAYORMII:
What's made in Nigeria that Nigerians buy??
pure water

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by GEJPosterity: 8:10pm On Mar 01, 2017
Hanibal:
Innoson has zero presence on the Internet, I searched Google for information on the price of their cars.. And the only info even Google could come up with are dated 2015 and February 2016. How can I buy products whose price range I can't access.
One man business.

Thanks to nepotism, his PR and marketing guy is someone who thinks that IVM is doing Nigeria a favour by existing, as against just a business like any other that will fold up without demand. The problem with Innoson is management structure. Oga learnt business through Igbo apprenticeship in the 80s and now that is the only way he is willing to operate. He has been approached to open up his organisation to a management consultancy like PwC or KPMG, so they can create processes, structure and workflow, but he is your typical 20th century Igbo billionaire businessman who is absolutely set in his ways. You cannot tell him anything.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by GEJPosterity: 8:13pm On Mar 01, 2017
solomedoh:
I work with a media house in Delta State.we wrote then proposal in JAN this year so as to promote their brand on our both on the TV or Radio platform or either of them. They indicated interest but we are yet to hear from them as they told us they we contact us. If you are to remain on top you must do constant advertisement.
One man business. No structure. No business process. No workflow. No accountability.

Hence, no results.

And you cannot tell oga at the top anything. The people around him in marketing, sales and PR are dreadfully incompetent, but they are family and friends with oga. Don't be surprised they did not even pass your message across.

Incidentally, that is exactly how the country is run too.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by slurryeye: 8:14pm On Mar 01, 2017
Originalsly:
Hundai is becoming a big player in the auto market wayyy more because of imitation rather than being distinct. If a guy has money to buy Prado. .. it doesn't matter what Innoson makes... imitation or distinct.....he will buy Prado.
@topic.... agree with most of the points..... advertising and promotion of the brand is lacking ... but even more harmful is allowing the established brands to compete....that's a local industry killer.

And you think Hyundai a company founded in 1967 and dominantly control the market in its country of origin is a small player in the auto market? And who tells you Hyundai imitates design?
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by ALAYORMII: 8:16pm On Mar 01, 2017
kennybab:
pure water

You're correct

And it's because it's the cheapest alternative to others
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by BlackBaron: 8:18pm On Mar 01, 2017
The truth is our middle class is not yet 'wealthy enough'. The market is still a long way matching few other countries who can purchase hundreds of thousands of cars quarterly.

However, Mr Innoson can choose to aggressively pitch to the others who do actually buy new. He does have competition though and so better sit up.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by Nobody: 8:19pm On Mar 01, 2017
AutoReportNG:

2. Show Rooms

- AutoReportNG

Source
I am social media account manager..
I build account and I keep it active
I also have an Instagram blog account with 77k followers, same as Twitter,Facebook

how can I contact all this automobile companies for partnership?
and about the Mercedes Official statement.. how did they pick up bloggers and PRSs?
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by MaziOmenuko: 8:19pm On Mar 01, 2017
Lol...have you been to their so called show too at oshodi-apapa express way? That place is a dead zone! Innoson isn't ready to do business in Nigeria, maybe because they can't satisfy the demand, truth be told, they really have limited stock. Also, the cars are more like ''assembled in Nigeria' because they do more of assembling. Their is no record of how many cars do 'produce' in a year, no pix of factory so as to a certain their capacity, nothing!

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by Walelavender(m): 8:20pm On Mar 01, 2017
AutoReportNG:

2. Show Rooms

- AutoReportNG

Source
Very apt. You are on point OP.
Our local manufacturers should do more

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by amanikondo: 8:23pm On Mar 01, 2017
They are selling innoson car on alibaba. What he is doing is rebadge.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by Nobody: 8:27pm On Mar 01, 2017
Maybe because people with buying power are not interested in buying locally assembled rebadged Chinko cars.

A Chinko car is bad enough on its own. One assembled by Nigerian artisans is even worse. One sold and assembled by a businessman who has been inducted in fraudulent activities - no can do.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by tinny898(m): 8:35pm On Mar 01, 2017
Clemsworld:
WE ARE NOT BUYING UNTIL HE DO Small Launching & PROMO!

grin grin shocked
Gbam!!! Na do he go be
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by Nobody: 8:36pm On Mar 01, 2017
guychidile:
hmm,I smell lies,but why can't individual,local governments,state governments and federal governments help this young man,buy buying his cars/trucks instead of lambasting him
...imagine.
This is not blasting, op is correct, do u prefer innoson stays like this or improve his marketing strategy?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by jahsharon: 8:36pm On Mar 01, 2017
I think Innoson should just hire the EFCC Twitter handler to manage the company's social media account. Thank me later.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by Abbey2sam(m): 8:37pm On Mar 01, 2017
Millz404:
They should have started producing very cheap cars like when tecno and infinix came in after which they gradually start doing it big

Useless suggestion tho grin ..... But if you look at with one eye.... E make small sense

Your suggestion is not useless, a little research on this big brands we see today were once very small, they started small

A brand like Mercedes-Benz didn't just wake up to start producing a 4 million naira car, no

Nigerians like big brand, and you coming into the market you have to prove your worth, just like tecno, infinix and gionee.
This products I just mentioned are all brand that was once condemned in Nigeria, today Samsung is begging for survival, Nokia is out of market. BlackBerry now history

Innoson building a car of 4 million naira
They were also targeting the federal government grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by Nobody: 8:42pm On Mar 01, 2017
guychidile:
...imagine.
What is the lie here, its obvious innoson has a poor marketing team.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by myplaydiary: 8:52pm On Mar 01, 2017
I have created a thread replying this misleading post by the OP i carefully addressed everything the op raise and even went further to educate him, Because the fact that he has an auto blog does not mean he has any idea what he his talking about, he could be doing copy and paste for all we know to put food on his table.

https://www.nairaland.com/3658289/re-why-nigerians-not-buying
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars by TinaAnita(f): 9:07pm On Mar 01, 2017
The truth of the matter is that we are obsessed with foreign products so I won't blame innoson for his lack of courage

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

6 Important Vehicle Documents Police, FRSC & VIO Will Always Ask You / What I Saw In This Toyota Prado Fuel Tank (Photos) / See What A Melting Road Did To Car Tyres After An Heavy Rain & Sun In Australia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.