Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,210 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:24 AM

I Love My Dogs! - Pets (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / I Love My Dogs! (55390 Views)

Threatened By A Snake, Warned By My Dogs / Pls Suggest The Type Of Local Food I Can Give To My Dogs. / High Blood Content In My Dogs Urine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 9:42pm On Mar 10, 2019
uboma:

I am still grieving, not really in the mood to provide details now. Thanks to you and cedar3 for the show of concern.

Please do keep me posted, I will be buying a pup from you again.

I can imagine. take heart abeg.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by uboma(m): 9:43pm On Mar 10, 2019
jayned:

I can imagine. take heart abeg.

Nagode
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 9:01pm On Mar 14, 2019
So by day 65, hubby woke me up saying he thinks Isis was in labour. I was really sleepy as I had slept late and had no particular plans for the morning since I was not going to vote as my voters card was not transfered. I remember jumping out of bed immediately.

When I went out, Isis was running around disoriented. for the record, I have never experienced dog's birth like this. She had time to come jump on me then ran off looking for a corner to dig. She eventually went to the place we prepared for her and stayed there.

Not quite long the first puppy came. Oh that sweet sweet cry of a newborn puppy. It's a boy! . Then another boy and another boy. The second boy was not so strong while the 3rd boy was the strongest.

1 Like

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 9:10pm On Mar 14, 2019
I was actually expecting 2 puppies but got 3! Unfortunately the 2nd boy did not survive found him dead and cold by morning. I was forming the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh. but I could not hold back my tears later in church.

Everywhere was pretty clean with this birth probably because there were only 3 puppies. I didn't have to do much cleaning. It's amazing how Isis just stepped into her motherly role. The way she envelopes them is amazing. There are times you won't even know they are there.

Picture taken on day 3.

3 Likes

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 9:32pm On Mar 14, 2019
Since we have just 2 puppies, I decided to do baby friendly. I will not be supplementing their milk.

This time around, I decided to use these puppies to test my skills. So I did the cropping of the ears myself @ day 13(next time, I will do it earlier). I got my six year old to help me hold the puppies in place while I did the knotting using tiny rubber rings just like before.(boy! we were all shaking, mama, daughter and puppy).

The puppies cried non stop for over 30mins. By this time, I had brought Isis in. She was really confused as she could not pacify them. She did everything but they cried nonstop. There I was standing helpless. I now decided to pick one. Before I knew it, I was rocking it and singing 'rock a bye baby.'...believe it or not the puppy stopped crying and even went to sleep. The look on Isis face was priceless(she must have wished she had hands like mine).

She did not hesitate to let me pick the second one and same... was soon fast asleep as the first. And that was how the ear cropping episode ended. (phew)

3 Likes

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 9:42pm On Mar 14, 2019
Isis and I really have a strong bond she never snaps at me when I want to pick the puppies unlike Ira. I can even dislodge a puppy while sucking and she will just be looking like we are co parents.

By day 14, they were due for deworming and I was doing that for the first time as well(for puppies their age). I had seen the vet do it like twice so I tried it. It was successful!

Puppies at 1week old.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Love My Dogs! by kenneyor(m): 4:21am On Mar 15, 2019
Wow....just finished reading from day 1, thanks for the documentation, it'll keep helping people even 10 years from now..

Please i have a question, can i give my lhasa of 10 weeks the local food like soybeans, maize and groundnut? Is it adviceable, i went to the thread you referred that you got it from, no one talked about feeding it to lhasa, it was either Cauc, Gsd or other big dogs.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by cedar3: 10:05pm On Mar 15, 2019
Wow!�� Congratulations once again. So Isis is a 65er.

Jayned, remember when I called you earlier January about how to breed?Am beginning to get downcast. I bred my boy Kenya to one other dog Milan but it seems it was a false pregnancy. Today is day 64 after the first breeding but still no show, though I got little milk when I pressed her nipple but her belly is so small. Am getting disappointed.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by Bomae: 11:51pm On Mar 15, 2019
Join our telegran group to learn everythibg u need to knw abt dogs.

https:///CanineEducation

Loss of appetite in your dog is a serious sign that something is wrong. It’s unusual for a dog to refuse more than one or two meals and this can indicate anything from depression to disease. Sometimes a stressful situation or an upset stomach can be to blame, but these things are often resolved within a day. If more than 48 hours go by with your dog still refusing to eat, take them to the vet immediately.

Signs that ur dog has lost its appetite may include the following:

Eating less than usual

Refusing to eat at all

Not eating treats

Trying to eat, but not being able to finish a meal

Weight loss

Lack of energy

Vomiting

It may be that ur dog is not eating the recommended amount of food, but this is not a sign of loss of appetite if ur dog is generally a light eater or is small for its age or breed. The main concern is when a dog who is often enthusiastic about its food loses interests in it. This sudden loss of appetite is an indicator that something is wrong. It may be a sign that ur dog is sick and needs medical attention.

Treatment of Loss Of Appetite In Dogs

If ur dog is having difficulty eating, there are a few thing u can try at home to tempt them. U can try changing the food that you’re giving ur dog in case there is something in it that ur dog does not like. Some dog can eat a type of food today and would refuse same food the next day. If ur dog is like then uv got to give him a different meal everyday.

U can also try to warm the food a little or soften dried food by adding water to see if that makes it easier to eat and digest. Some dogs do respond to hand feeding.

There are also appetite boosting drugs that can be used to try to encourage ur dog to eat. Look for a multivitamin that has Vitamin B complex in it. Bully max is also known to increase appetite in dogs.

Deworm ur dogs. The first thing i do when my dogs loss appetite is to deworm. Look for a good one and administer based on body weight. It could be a reason y ur dog is not eaten.

Dental problems can also make ur dogs not not eat. When they are growing teeth it would surely affect their appetite.

viral infections such as distemper and parvo virus can also make ur dogs loss of appetite.

Other factors that can cause loss of appetite

Have meal time in dogs. If ur feeding by 9am make sure u keep to time, it helps alot. Feed adult dogs 2 times a day and puppies 3 times. U can also feed convalescents 3 times a day.

Join our telegran group to learn everythibg u need to knw abt dogs.

https:///CanineEducation
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 12:31am On Mar 18, 2019
cedar3:
Wow!�� Congratulations once again. So Isis is a 65er.

Jayned, remember when I called you earlier January about how to breed?Am beginning to get downcast. I bred my boy Kenya to one other dog Milan but it seems it was a false pregnancy. Today is day 64 after the first breeding but still no show, though I got little milk when I pressed her nipple but her belly is so small. Am getting disappointed.

Hmmm. I know how you feel. I have been there twice but nevertheless it's not over until it's over. Meanwhile, you said her tummy is small do you try to feel the tummy when she is on her back? (be careful not to press hard though). It's possible she is carrying one or 2 puppies.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 12:35am On Mar 18, 2019
kenneyor:
Wow....just finished reading from day 1, thanks for the documentation, it'll keep helping people even 10 years from now..

Please i have a question, can i give my lhasa of 10 weeks the local food like soybeans, maize and groundnut? Is it adviceable, i went to the thread you referred that you got it from, no one talked about feeding it to lhasa, it was either Cauc, Gsd or other big dogs.

It's depends on why you want to switch really. If I were you and can afford it and if the dog is not complaining, I will stick to the commercial food. It's way more convenient and you are sure of the composition.

All the best.

1 Like

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 2:47pm On Mar 30, 2019
Meet the sons of Zeus, Hercules and Perseus at 5 weeks old.

2 Likes

Re: I Love My Dogs! by uboma(m): 3:39am On Mar 31, 2019
jayned:
Meet the sons of Zeus, Hercules and Perseus at 5 weeks old.

they are so cute.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 7:59pm On Mar 31, 2019
uboma:

they are so cute.
Yes ooo. Thanks
Re: I Love My Dogs! by cedar3: 11:46am On Apr 01, 2019
And the last one might just be a replica of Zeus. Cute little things they are.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by throwaway: 1:05pm On Apr 01, 2019
So cute!!
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 2:08pm On Apr 01, 2019
cedar3:
And the last one might just be a replica of Zeus. Cute little things they are.

A carbon copy! the only difference is that he loves food too much unlike Zeus.

1 Like

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 7:50am On Apr 08, 2019
Hercules and Perseus @6 weeks. I have never seen more beautifully cropped ears. I think I deserve some accolades.

3 Likes

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 7:54am On Apr 08, 2019
The duo @ 6weeks.

2 Likes

Re: I Love My Dogs! by gman55(m): 10:43am On Apr 08, 2019
Your dogs are alway wow! you make me fall in love with Caucasian breed
Re: I Love My Dogs! by Greenarrow01(m): 3:11pm On Apr 08, 2019
jayned:
Hercules and Perseus @6 weeks. I have never seen more beautifully cropped ears. I think I deserve some accolades.
Re they booked already or you re trying to sell
Re: I Love My Dogs! by Smart4sexygirls(m): 3:44am On Apr 09, 2019
Am looking for friends that has Dogs like Samoyed, cus I have a male Samoyed (parlour dog) if you have a female Samoyed or other breed. My Dog is A Year and 5 weeks old, Feel free to whatsapp me 08057187315 or call 07063362230

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 7:34am On Apr 10, 2019
Greenarrow01:
Re they booked already or you re trying to sell

Sorry they are both booked.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 7:34am On Apr 10, 2019
gman55:
Your dogs are alway wow! you make me fall in love with Caucasian breed
Thanks so much.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 7:35am On Apr 10, 2019
throwaway:
So cute!!
thank you!
Re: I Love My Dogs! by PaulAris: 9:02am On Apr 10, 2019
jayned:
it's day 76 or so today and I don't think we will be having any puppies. Ira's blood test came in and her PCV is 35%. When I heard PCV initially, I thought the doc was referring to my PVC before treatment and I was like ' PVC even in the vet clinic?'. Anyway PCV means Packed cell volume.

There are many causes of low PCV (please google up) and I cant pin point why my dog has/had it. Anyway, I want to get a second opinion cos the vet looked over ambitious. It's all about the money for him, it seems.

Ira is pretty fine. Still hyper active. No discharge, shedding heavily.
Hi Jayned,
Has Ira given birth after this Pseudo pregnancy?

Lovely dogs you've got, by the way
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 10:35pm On Apr 10, 2019
PaulAris:

Hi Jayned,
Has Ira given birth after this Pseudo pregnancy?

Lovely dogs you've got, by the way

Since you asked, I should as well give an update. Hmmm it's day 61 of mating today. Everything seemed ok not until day 54 when I saw an almost black discharge from her vagina. called the vet bla bla bla. To cut the long story short, she started becoming less pregnant and I am afraid I have totally given up.

Meanwhile, I don't think they are pseudo pregnancies it's possible she has an infection or something. The issue is all the vet's here are paravets just doing trial and error.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by PaulAris: 12:56pm On Apr 11, 2019
jayned:

Since you asked, I should as well give an update. Hmmm it's day 61 of mating today. Everything seemed ok not until day 54 when I saw an almost black discharge from her vagina. called the vet bla bla bla. To cut the long story short, she started becoming less pregnant and I am afraid I have totally given up.

Meanwhile, I don't think they are pseudo pregnancies it's possible she has an infection or something. The issue is all the vet's here are paravets just doing trial and error.
Oh wow
This pregnancy is the immediate one after that time right?
[At bold]; I guess so too. A friend of mine as a dog with similar problem too
Tho she hasn't come on heat since the time she did not conceive, it was due on the first week of January.
I read on a thread of an infection called Brucellosis. A zoonotic bacteria. Its said to affect the reproductive system of dogs. You can look it up too
I'm gonna ask my friend if he feeds his dog diary products, especially on raw diet
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 3:30pm On Apr 11, 2019
PaulAris:

Oh wow
This pregnancy is the immediate one after that time right?
[At bold]; I guess so too. A friend of mine as a dog with similar problem too
Tho she hasn't come on heat since the time she did not conceive, it was due on the first week of January.
I read on a thread of an infection called Brucellosis. A zoonotic bacteria. Its said to affect the reproductive system of dogs. You can look it up too
I'm gonna ask my friend if he feeds his dog diary products, especially on raw diet

This is actually the 3rd pregnancy she has lost 3 times in a row. Funny she comes on heat readily. The last was not even upto 6 months since the last. She has come on heat 3 times since she whelped in November 2017.
I have actually come across brucellosis severally but I always wish it away. I will do an indepth study now. During the first pregnancy that was lost, I used to feed her raw eggs daily.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by PaulAris: 8:04pm On Apr 12, 2019
jayned:

This is actually the 3rd pregnancy she has lost 3 times in a row. Funny she comes on heat readily. The last was not even upto 6 months since the last. She has come on heat 3 times since she whelped in November 2017.
I have actually come across brucellosis severally but I always wish it away. I will do an indepth study now. During the first pregnancy that was lost, I used to feed her raw eggs daily.
Wow! Three pregnancies lost consecutively?
So whats your plan now, I mean for her?
Do you think I should advice him(my friend) not to mate his dog when she comes on heat again(being what happened to yours could also happen to her), until he finds a solution?
Re: I Love My Dogs! by jayned: 6:52pm On Apr 13, 2019
PaulAris:

Wow! Three pregnancies lost consecutively?
So whats your plan now, I mean for her?
Do you think I should advice him(my friend) not to mate his dog when she comes on heat again(being what happened to yours could also happen to her), until he finds a solution?

He should not mate her again until he gets a correct vet that can check her to be sure she has no infection. We will do same too for Ira. She should come on heat 6 to 8 months after her last.

Meanwhile, I googled that brucellosis . Luckily, Ira does not have most of the symptoms since she is always hyper and never lethargic. I also learnt it might not be in nigeria so I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it's something else that can be treated.
Re: I Love My Dogs! by Floryangel8: 9:22am On Apr 22, 2019
I asked you some questions when I got my dogs last year, I finally crossed them and waiting for puppies day 60 today

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply)

330-Year-Old Male Land Turtle In Ogbomoso (Photos) / A Dog Made FRSC Officials Free The Boss In Edo State / A Lion, A Bear & Tiger Rescued From Abusive Owners, Bonded Together As Siblings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.