Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,626 members, 7,816,575 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression (17469 Views)

Benin Traditional Worshippers Embark On Acts Of Purification And Sanctification / Is There Discrimination By Black Africans Against Mulattoes? / “I Don’t Give My Instagram To Black People" - White Model To Black Photographer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by musicwriter(m): 8:04am On Oct 02, 2017
I' am looking for the 3rd video in the series. Anybody who find it should post here. Check whether others uploaded it.

And I'll advise anybody interested in black history to download the entire series before they're completely pulled offline.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by Suuuru: 8:05am On Oct 02, 2017
This is nice! How can we fight for our freedom from Economic oppressors who claim to be our leaders nowadays?
Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by sholaadejumo: 8:20am On Oct 02, 2017
most of these rebellions were done by igbo slaves. igbos are born rebels
Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 9:00am On Oct 02, 2017
4. The Marlborough Ship Massacre

this bonny slaves were cowards.. I know my grate grandpa must have partake in this retribution... dem for allow this people sail to America, I wound have be a black America by now...
Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by kooltrick(m): 9:41am On Oct 02, 2017
Firstcitizen:
^ Igbo landing was an act of cowardice and stupidity. This tread is about retribution.They killed themselves instead of going down with their oppressors. At least the others went down fighting with enough heads to accompany them to the after life

Please read about the Igbo landing before calling them cowards they prefer death over slavery in short why not just follow the link and read first
Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by Firstcitizen: 9:58am On Oct 02, 2017
kooltrick:

Please read about the Igbo landing before calling them cowards they prefer death over slavery in short why not just follow the link and read first

I have read the full details of that landing. Why not die fighting and bring retribution to your oppressor like real men than commit suicide. Oh! suicide is an easier option I guess. Cowardice and stupidity I repeat

1 Like

Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by gurunlocker: 9:58am On Oct 02, 2017
Demmzy15:
2. Nat Turner Slave Revolt 1831

Nathanial “Nat” Turner (1800-1831) was a black American slave who led the only effective, sustained slave rebellion (August 1831) in U.S. history. Spreading terror throughout the white South, his action set off a new wave of oppressive legislation prohibiting the education, movement, and assembly of slaves and stiffened proslavery, antiabolitionist convictions that persisted in that region until the American Civil War (1861–65).

He was born on the Virginia plantation of Benjamin Turner, who allowed him to be instructed in reading, writing, and religion. Sold three times in his childhood and hired out to John Travis (1820s), he became a fiery preacher and leader of African-American slaves on Benjamin Turner’s plantation and in his Southampton County neighbourhood, claiming that he was chosen by God to lead them from bondage.

Believing in signs and hearing divine voices, Turner was convinced by an eclipse of the Sun (1831) that the time to rise up had come, and he enlisted the help of four other slaves in the area. An insurrection was planned, aborted, and rescheduled for August 21,1831, when he and six other slaves killed the Travis family, managed to secure arms and horses, and enlisted about 75 other slaves in a disorganized insurrection that resulted in the murder of 51 white people.

Afterwards, Turner hid nearby successfully for six weeks until his discovery, conviction, and hanging at Jerusalem, Virginia, along with 16 of his followers. The incident put fear in the heart of Southerners, ended the organized emancipation movement in that region, resulted in even harsher laws against slaves, and deepened the schism between slave-holders and free-soilers (an anti-slavery political party whose slogan was ‘free soil, free speech, free labor, and free men’) that would culminate in the Civil War.

Capture of Nat Turner

Saw this movie of recent.... Very nice movie.

1 Like

Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by ashjay001(m): 10:08am On Oct 02, 2017
1shortblackboy:
very interesting. op oya come complete am

He said five, wetin e wan complete again!
Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by Originalsly: 10:09am On Oct 02, 2017
twentyk:
YAHOO YAHOO
sometimes if you read black cultures and history you go just dey vex 4 where u dey....dey used us,over used us...use our destiny....sadly it will forever be engraved in our dna.....i wish things were different.....i wish we didnt welcome them with open hands in to our midst....i wish we didnt let them plant seed of discord among ouselves.....i wish the first portuguese ship was sunked and all on board killed.....i wished we were stronger,smarter but we were not sadly.....
I hear you.... we can say if we were present back then we would not allow this to happen...for Whites to enslave us. But...we must not forget. .. Africans were captured by Africans and handed over to the Whites in ex hang for ehmmm..... pieces of cloth... ordinary mirrors.... mugs.. knives...etc that dazzled the eyes of the capturers.
We are here today... and that history is repeating itself...today...exploitation of our people the first time.. exploitation of our lands and resources this time. The Whites are here again.... and we Africans have again rolled out the red carpet...... Africans shoving Africans off of their lands for foreigners to establish huge mechanical farms.... exploitation we see as welcomed development.... exploitation of our mineral and other natural resources. Nothing has changed...we sold our people the first time...this time we are selling our lands. We are here now..... what are we doing about it?... our leaders selling us out? .... and after so much years.... we still a cry tears... from off of our feet they take the chains...now it seems they put it on we brains.... me have to remind you @20K...not personal.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by kingcollins5678: 10:33am On Oct 02, 2017
YES,YOU RE NEXT

Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by ForValour: 11:43am On Oct 02, 2017
undecided
GregJo:
undecided
GregJo:
Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by lawsta(m): 12:04pm On Oct 02, 2017
[quote author=Demmzy15 post=54220841]5.Jamaica’s Baptist War

Jamaica’s biggest slave revolt broke out immediately after Christmas 1831 and lasted for ten days. About 50,000 slaves took part. They attacked over 225 estates and caused damage totalling over £1 million.

Georgia Estate in Trelawny, owned by Thomas Gordon of Buthlaw and Cairness, was one of the estates caught up in the rebellion, and afterwards five of Gordon’s slaves were sentenced to life imprisonment for joining the fight.

Samuel Sharpe was the most prominent leader of the rebels. A slave from Craydon Estate in St James Parish, he was also a charismatic leader in the local Baptist church. Many of the other fighters were also Baptists. They used Christian theology to argue that they could only have one master – Jesus Christ.
All of the rebel leaders had military titles such as ‘general’ and ‘colonel’ and their followers were organised into military companies. In court, witnesses both for and against the rebels always described t
Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by lawsta(m): 12:32pm On Oct 02, 2017
Quite Informative
Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by MarieSucre(f): 1:49pm On Oct 02, 2017
This list is incomplete without the Zanj rebellion that took place in Iraq against the Arab slavers, who would also castrate the slave men so that they don't not procreate with the Arab women. You all should read up on it. it's quite interesting also 'Zanji' is an alternate name for referring to a black person in Arabic along with '3abeed' which means slave.
Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by hornyofife: 2:38pm On Oct 02, 2017
tiredoflife:

This here is talking about the fearless Niger deltan and igbo slaves.....the location shows that like always they hate oppression.... God bless the Niger delta

Nat Turner was also of igbo descent
Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by Demmzy15(m): 3:23pm On Oct 02, 2017
hornyofife:

Nat Turner was also of igbo descent
No! He was of Ghanaian descent!
Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by IME1: 3:52pm On Oct 02, 2017
For those of us who live in Calabar or have visited, please when you go to Tropicana, visit the museum behind, it's just N200 and it's so worth it. If you are fortunate, you may be given me a movie preview before the tour by a learned curator. What you will see will slap you back to reality. Although we thank God we were not born in that generation, HUMAN BEINGS were cry shocked
For more info also take a boat ride to Twins Ialand or Benin museum or the one in Badagry
Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by TSO4U: 3:55pm On Oct 02, 2017
nice pieces.

What a brain-cooler!
Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by sholaadejumo: 4:47pm On Oct 03, 2017
Demmzy15:
No! He was of Ghanaian descent!

actually nat turner was a nigerian of igbo descent.

120 years later Nat Turner led a
revolt in Virginia that killed
approximately 60 whites. In
accordance with his Igbo (Egbo)
origins, Turner bestowed upon
himself the honors of Odogwu a
ceremonial ritual in which an Igbo
warrior places feathers in his cap
to signify the killing of a person of
rank in war.
Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by RedboneSmith(m): 4:50pm On Oct 03, 2017
yang:
The OP left out Igbo landing

Maybe out of mischief or ignorance

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_Landing

The zoo called Nigeria is holding us to slavery

What is the difference between the zoo Nigeria and the colonial master

But we are born free. . .Free Biafra now

How is that retributive? How many white people lost their lives or were injured in Igbo landing? :/
Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by RedboneSmith(m): 4:52pm On Oct 03, 2017
sholaadejumo:

actually nat turner was a nigerian of igbo descent.

I've seen that falsehood on some blogs. Nat didn't know his father, but his mother was of Akan (Ghanaian) descent.
Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by sholaadejumo: 4:54pm On Oct 03, 2017
RedboneSmith:

I've seen that falsehood on some blogs. Nat didn't know his father, but his mother was of Akan (Ghanaian) descent.

lol. guy do your research well
Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by RedboneSmith(m): 4:55pm On Oct 03, 2017
MarieSucre:
This list is incomplete without the Zanj rebellion that took place in Iraq against the Arab slavers, who would also castrate the slave men so that they don't not procreate with the Arab women. You all should read up on it. it's quite interesting also 'Zanji' is an alternate name for referring to a black person in Arabic along with '3abeed' which means slave.

Except that Arabs are not Europeans or people of European descent, whom the thread appears to be focusing on.
Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by RedboneSmith(m): 5:05pm On Oct 03, 2017
sholaadejumo:

lol. guy do your research well

I have. This is one of many articles that say his mother was Akan, and his father unknown: http://www.peoplesworld.org/article/today-in-labor-history-nat-turner-is-born/

The sites that cite an Igbo origin exhibit clear Igbocentric biases which make their reliability questionable.

1 Like

Re: 5 Acts Of Retribution By Black People In Response To European Oppression by MarieSucre(f): 8:10pm On Oct 03, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Except that Arabs are not Europeans or people of European descent, whom the thread appears to be focusing on.

Yes the above is true. I am drawing attention to it because it is one of the most neglected aspect of black slavery history. Did you know that when the Europeans first landed ashore Africa, they first purchased slaves from Arab slavers. The trans-sahara starred before the Trans-atlantic slave trade and last long after. In fact the Arab slavers were unwillingly to stop slavery and had to pressured into it by Western colonial powers.

Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia

"Among the last states to abolish slavery were
Saudi Arabia and Yemen , which abolished slavery in 1962 under pressure from Britain;
Oman in 1970, and Mauritania in 1905, 1981, and again in August 2007."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_slavery_in_the_Muslim_world

You and the Op can research it and open a thread on it. The details are salacious.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo / The Spirit Of Lagos / Is This True? Do They Use Hyenas For Debt Collection In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.