Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,418 members, 7,815,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

Why Do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? (1191 Views)

Chinese Doctors Have Started Working In Isolation Centres –Lai Mohammed / 100 Italian Doctors Have Died Of Coronavirus / Do Doctors' Hippocratic Oath Count? My Experience With A Doctor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by Emperormartin(m): 1:32pm On Mar 04, 2017
Yesterday in Federal Medical Centre(FMC) in my area, as I came out from the doctor's office, I decided to go through all the prescriptions the doctor wrote down for me. By Jove! I couldn't decode anything; everything seems weird.

Well, I consoled myself that the pharmacy would do the needful maybe it's because I'm not in medical line.

But alas! When I gave my prescription to the young pharmacist, this girl peered and peered and she became helpless. In fact to cut the story short, it took 3 nurses to decode all my medications prescribed by the doctor.

Now the Big question, Why is this a norm to our doctors?
-Is the bad handwriting professional to them?
-or are they hiding something from us?(patients)
-or is it a general agreement for Nigerian doctors?

Because to be honest this is not the first time I'm encountering this.

Abeg nairalanders and doctors in the house help me in this question.
Re: Why Do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by Kylekent59: 1:45pm On Mar 04, 2017
Nå bankers own worst pass ooo
Re: Why Do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by Nutase: 1:58pm On Mar 04, 2017
Ask google
Re: Why Do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by Nobody: 9:46am On Mar 05, 2017
Simple 7yrs of medical school does that to you, a lecturer will dictate and you are expected to write as fast as he is speaking, they dont repeat themselves, some of what is written can only be decoded by a pharmacist because they know the drugs.
Re: Why Do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by Nobody: 9:47am On Mar 05, 2017
Simple 7yrs of medical school does that to you, a lecturer will dictate and you are expected to write as fast as he is speaking, they dont repeat themselves, some of what is written can only be decoded by a pharmacist because they know the drugs. There are still some doctors with good or at least legible handwriting.
Re: Why Do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by geunik(m): 1:33pm On Mar 05, 2017
hmmm. Let me at it. Well am a pharmacist and i will explain it here. The hospital is an establishment that is sub divided into different units. Each units is dependent on the other. Doctors do not charge you for medications, test and all that. Those charges comes from the pharmacist, laboratory scientist and other units. When a doctor diagnosis and prescribe, he is scared that the patient may run away with the prescription card to where he may get a cheaper price or free medications and test, probably in a frinds store. So to avoid this problem the doctor have to cave out a font that will be difficult for any person outside the hospital but easy for staffs within. That way another medical staff from another hospital who visit the hospital cannot leave the hospital without those prescriptions.
Op in your case, it is either the pharmacist is new there or the doctor is. With time all in the hospital will get use to it...hope it is clear. Feel free to visit my new blog on pharmacy topics at www.drugexper..com. I have a post an drafting on today that i will update in the night todays with the title 'courses to do in pharmacy to become a certified pharmacist. The blog is new and i will be updating it with at least one post a day. Thanks all for visiting
Re: Why Do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by nelszx: 10:26pm On Mar 05, 2017
geunik:
hmmm. Let me at it. Well am a pharmacist and i will explain it here. The hospital is an establishment that is sub divided into different units. Each units is dependent on the other. Doctors do not charge you for medications, test and all that. Those charges comes from the pharmacist, Medical laboratory technicians Scientists and other units. When a doctor diagnosis and prescribe, he is scared that the patient may run away with the prescription card to where he may get a cheaper price or free medications and test, probably in a frinds store. So to avoid this problem the doctor have to cave out a font that will be difficult for any person outside the hospital but easy for staffs within. That way another medical staff from another hospital who visit the hospital cannot leave the hospital without those prescriptions.
Op in your case, it is either the pharmacist is new there or the doctor is. With time all in the hospital will get use to it...powered hope it is clear. Feel free to visit my new blog on pharmacy topics at www.drugexper..com.ng. I have a post an drafting on today that i will update in the night todays with the title 'courses to do in pharmacy to become a certified pharmacist. The blog is new and i will be updating it with at least one post a day. Thanks all for visiting

My brother you did go to school yet you don't know who a technician is and what differentiates him from a scientist. Common man always use the right word for the right person
Re: Why Do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by geunik(m): 10:07am On Mar 06, 2017
nelszx:

My brother you did go to school yet you don't know who a technician is and what differentiates him from a scientist. Common man always use the right word for the right person
are you saying medical labs do not have technicians? I know pharmacy does have. Maybe check back.
Re: Why Do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by nelszx: 10:50am On Mar 06, 2017
geunik:
are you saying medical labs do not have technicians? I know pharmacy does have. Maybe check back.

I'm not saying there are no technicians but you weren't referring to them in your context else you would have used pharmacy technicians instead of pharmacist so it goes with the laboratory technicians. If you use "pharmacists" it's only respectable to call someone in same cadre who are not technicians.
I know what you mean, you just used a degrading term to place them (there's a whole lot difference from a scientist and a technician). Same way a pharmacist can never be called a Pharm tech (he feels offended) is same way it is to use the term MLT for MLS
Have a good day, just note the correction

(1) (Reply)

4 Ways To Apply Honey On Your Face For Effective Results / Catholic View On IVF / Permanent Herbal Cure For Sickle Cell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.