Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,522 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? (4047 Views)

Supposed Picture Of Popular Comedian Pulling Down Lady's Pants Stirs Controversy / DOES ATHEISM MAKE YOU FEEL MORE LEARNED THAN CHRISTIANITY? / Conclusion : Atheism Is So Illogical , The Atheist Delusion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by enshy: 6:04pm On Mar 04, 2017
I doubt if atheism has any iota of morality in it.
1. Mark Payne was known to be on 20 cigars daily dose. Is this normal? He died financially bankrupt, lost his wife and close allies. His death was a painful one!
2. Chritopher Hitchens was known for an uncontrollable appetite for food and alcohol...He was a drunk and obese!
3. Richard Dawkins was equally known for bad eating and drinking habits...He was a drunk!
Let the atheists teach us the morality behind atheism!

1 Like

Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by timiawe123: 6:15pm On Mar 04, 2017
Atheism has no laws like religion.
Morality in athiesm is a personal choice.
I'm atheist but I dont drink or smoke or womanize because I know the damages these things cause, not because a sky daddy that told me they're wrong.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by enshy: 6:39pm On Mar 04, 2017
timiawe123:
Atheism has no laws like religion.
Morality in athiesm is a personal choice.
I'm atheist but I dont drink or smoke or womanize because I know the damages these things cause, not because a sky daddy that told me they're wrong.
Morality is personal choice...Fair!
What guides the persons choice?
As you can see up there that your mentors in atheism lacked the will to control their appetites. They were slaves to their desires.
Yours is guided by damage it will do to you..So you could kill, steal, lie so far it has no damage to you?
On what principles is your moral based as you dont have a Guide?
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by hopefulLandlord: 6:52pm On Mar 04, 2017
TBH I don't know what OP is getting at here

Suicide bombers are all religious

religious people account for the most cases of Pedophilia in the world

OP can give reply to the below challenge Christopher Hitchens laid down for religious people almost a decade ago and no one has been able to give a good answer to, From Archbishops to apologists

1. You are to name a moral action undertaken or a moral or ethical statement made by a believer that could not have been made by an unbeliever

2. Think of something wicked that only a believer would be likely to do or something wicked that only a believer would be likely to say.
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by enshy: 7:10pm On Mar 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
TBH I don't know what OP is getting at here

Suicide bombers are all religious

religious people account for the most cases of Pedophilia in the world

OP can give reply to the below challenge Christopher Hitchens laid down for religious people almost a decade ago and no one has been able to give a good answer to, From Archbishops to apologists

1. You are to name a moral action undertaken or a moral or ethical statement made by a believer that could not have been made by an unbeliever

2. Think of something wicked that only a believer would be likely to do or something wicked that only a believer would be likely to say.
Your mentor Christopher Hitchens cant ask me questions about morals. Ill tear him apart!
He died obese! He died a drunk!! He was a slave to the flesh!!!
Answer my question and Ild answer yours!
Not Christopher Hitchens but you..Your mentor, Christopher paints a perfect picture of a depraved and depressed soul who was unfit to believe in God and naturally didnt believe in God!
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by Richirich713: 7:14pm On Mar 04, 2017
There's no such thing as morality in atheism, it's all subjective, just preferences.
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by enshy: 7:29pm On Mar 04, 2017
Richirich713:
There's no such thing as morality in atheism, it's all subjective, just preferences.
Fine!
What are these preferences based on? Which/Whose judgments frames your preferences?
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by hopefulLandlord: 7:30pm On Mar 04, 2017
enshy:

Your mentor Christopher Hitchens cant ask me questions about morals. Ill tear him apart!
He died obese! He died a drunk!! He was a slave to the flesh!!!
Answer my question and Ild answer yours!
Not Christopher Hitchens but you..Your mentor, Christopher paints a perfect picture of a depraved and depressed soul who was unfit to believe in God and naturally didnt believe in God!

what exactly is your question?

it seems the point of Christopher Hitchens challenge flew over your head

there's nothing Hitchens did that a religious person hasn't done, probably far worse

so what exactly is your question again?

now answer mine
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by hopefulLandlord: 7:31pm On Mar 04, 2017
Richirich713:

meanwhile, morality in religion is also subject to god

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by enshy: 7:33pm On Mar 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

what exactly is your question?

it seems the point of Christopher Hitchens challenge flew over your head

there's nothing Hitchens did that a religious person hasn't done, probably far worse

so what exactly is your question again?

now answer mine
Yes cos by reason/logic on which atheism is premised, he cant ask me moral related questions..He was a failure in that regard!
So my question: does atheism teach morals? If yes, on what principles?
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by hopefulLandlord: 7:36pm On Mar 04, 2017
enshy:

Yes cos by reason/logic on which atheism is premised, he cant ask me moral related questions..He was a failure in that regard!

does atheism teach morals? No!

now answer the Hitchens challenge and stop moving like a dry leaf on water

Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by enshy: 7:47pm On Mar 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

does atheism teach morals? No!

now answer the Hitchens challenge and stop moving like a dry leaf on water

You cant ask your own questions, you borrowed from your mentor!
Anyway, define the terms believer and unbeliever
Note : Question 2 has no relevance to me cos a believer has no wickedness in him and wouldnt do wic kedness
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by hopefulLandlord: 7:53pm On Mar 04, 2017
enshy:

You cant ask your own questions, you borrowed from your mentor!
Anyway, define the terms believer and unbeliever
Note : Question 2 has no relevance to me cos a believer has no wickedness in him and wouldnt do wic kedness

the question is freaking straightforward

answer it or I'm just wasting time here
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by enshy: 8:02pm On Mar 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

the question is freaking straightforward
answer it or I'm just wasting time here
You are the one wasting my time bro. Define main terms in your question..Thats simple! If you dont know, ask Christopher to help. Ild still be kind to hang around.
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by hopefulLandlord: 8:24pm On Mar 04, 2017
enshy:

You are the one wasting my time bro.
Define main terms in your question..Thats simple!
If you dont know, ask Christopher to help.
Ild still be kind to hang around.

Believer = someone who believes in a god

Unbeliever = someone who doesn't

now to the challenge

3 Likes

Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by frank317: 8:59pm On Mar 04, 2017
enshy:

You have been told over and over again that atheism is not a belief system but u insist that it is a believe system and you are asking us what atheism teaches like there was a time we sat down together and agreed that atheism is a belief system.
Atheists just don't accept God exists... There is not teaching anything here. If anyone is of the opinion that God does not exist, he is automatically an atheist, weather he is a fighter, killer, philanthropist or a perfect gentleman.

For me, my morality operates on the principle that if anyone does something bad to me I will be hurt, therefore if I don't same to another the person will be hurt... Therefore I try not to hurt others because I know they will be hurt... It's really not fun to hurt others.
Again there is the law...I try to caution myself not to break the law in order not to get into trouble. So I watch my excesses and avoid problem.

I don't need any God to tell me that hurting others is bad or to tell me to love my neighbours... I already know because loving my neighbours brings a peaceful atmosphere and a peaceful atmosphere makes me happy.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by enshy: 9:02pm On Mar 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Believer = someone who believes in a god

Unbeliever = someone who doesn't

now to the challenge

You see your mentor is a novice!
To us: Believer - someone who believes in Christ, has repented of his sins and lives a new life devoid of sin.
Unbeliever - someone who regardless of his belief that God exists but has not accepted Jesus nor repented of his lives and lives a careless devoid of eternity in view.
You see now that both your believer/unbeliever passes as my unbeliever...Both your mentor and you cant grasp the concept of my believer..Its beyond you!
So what next? I question in which the asker doesnt have a basic umderstanding cant be answered except if you want a whole lecture on the subject topic!
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by enshy: 9:23pm On Mar 04, 2017
frank317:

You have been told over and over again that atheism is not a belief system but u insist that it is a believe system and you are asking us what atheism teaches like there was a time we sat down together and agreed that atheism is a belief system.
Atheists just don't accept God exists... There is not teaching anything here. If anyone is of the opinion that God does not exist, he is automatically an atheist, weather he is a fighter, killer, philanthropist or a perfect gentleman.

For me, my morality operates on the principle that if anyone does something bad to me I will be hurt, therefore if I don't same to another the person will be hurt... Therefore I try not to hurt others because I know they will be hurt... It's really not fun to hurt others.
Again there is the law...I try to caution myself not to break the law in order not to get into trouble. So I watch my excesses and avoid problem.

I don't need any God to tell me that hurting others is bad or to tell me to love my neighbours... I already know because loving my neighbours brings a peaceful atmosphere and a peaceful atmosphere makes me happy.

Good, you did well.
Therefore you are a group of people who dont believe in existence of a God! Correct? If yes? Now 2 things:
1. If a group of people with just one common understanding, you should have guiding principles as seen in all formed groups around the world.
2. The name atheism shouldnt be applicable then cos atheism- depicts process, a way of being an atheist, what you should see in an atheist..The group is better called Atheist Group!
Now going by your explanation, dont you think your group will boast of the highest number of drunks, smokers, drug addicts, womanizers, rapists, murderers because logic/reasoning tells me that current flows in the path of least resistance.
It can be concluded then that atheists are naturally people who are driven by desires, lust, vain appetites, that found the concept of divine punishment detrimental to their way of life and therefore chose the easy way out - there is no God, for if there is one, there would be punishment!
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by Richirich713: 9:26pm On Mar 04, 2017
enshy:

Fine!
What are these preferences based on? Which/Whose judgments frames your preferences?

They based completely on the individual(s). BTW I'm not an atheist.
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by Richirich713: 9:29pm On Mar 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Not really, morality is objective but since that doesn't seem to fit with atheism I can see why u think its not.
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by hopefulLandlord: 9:35pm On Mar 04, 2017
Richirich713:

Not really, morality is objective but since that doesn't seem to fit with atheism I can see why u think its not.

nope, theistic morality its subjected to a god, yes or no?
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by hopefulLandlord: 9:38pm On Mar 04, 2017
enshy:

You see your mentor is a novice!
To us: Believer - someone who believes in Christ, has repented of his sins and lives a new life devoid of sin.
Unbeliever - someone who regardless of his belief that God exists but has not accepted Jesus nor repented of his lives and lives a careless devoid of eternity in view.
You see now that both your believer/unbeliever passes as my unbeliever...Both your mentor and you cant grasp the concept of my believer..Its beyond you!
So what next? I question in which the asker doesnt have a basic umderstanding cant be answered except if you want a whole lecture on the subject topic!

seems you love ranting with no substance

I've given you what Hitchens mean by "Unbeliever" and "believer"

now answer the question, why are you dodging? don't you know better than the Archbishops, Cardinals, Pastors, G.Os, Deacons/Deaconesses, Apologists like WLC, Allister McGrath, Peter Hitchens etc?

answer the question they've failed to get an answer to for close to a decade
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by Richirich713: 9:40pm On Mar 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

nope, theistic morality its subjected to a god, yes or no?

The topic ain't morality on theism, it's atheism being discussed here.
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by hopefulLandlord: 9:44pm On Mar 04, 2017
Richirich713:

The topic ain't morality on theism, it's atheism being discussed here.
lol, the thread makes no sense, I'm just attending to it outta boredom
there's no moral teaching in atheism, no doctrine, cest fini
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by Richirich713: 9:45pm On Mar 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

lol, the thread makes no sense, I'm just attending to it outta boredom

there's no moral teaching in atheism, no doctrine, cest fini

I know, u can do whatever u want.
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by hopefulLandlord: 9:46pm On Mar 04, 2017
Richirich713:

I know, u can do whatever u want.

so do the theists, they just need their version of god's approval

Hence my first post to you
hopefulLandlord:

Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by enshy: 9:52pm On Mar 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

seems you love ranting with no substance

I've given you what Hitchens mean by "Unbeliever" and "believer"

now answer the question, why are you dodging? don't you know better than the Archbishops, Cardinals, Pastors, G.Os, Deacons/Deaconesses, Apologists like WLC, Allister McGrath, Peter Hitchens etc?

answer the question they've failed to get an answer to for close to a decade
I am up!
You cant drag me down, I can only drag you up!
You ask me a question, when you dont understand the meaning of the main points.
Have all your mentors answered creation concept till date? How many years now?
You dont know who a believer and unbeliever is and want me to answer..You are a layman!
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by Richirich713: 9:54pm On Mar 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

so do the theists, they just need their version of god's approval

Depends on if they following the true God, if not then objective morality isn't grounded in their "version" of god.
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by enshy: 9:56pm On Mar 04, 2017
Richirich713:

They based completely on the individual(s). BTW I'm not an atheist.
Individuals! He does what he likes, every mad man would seem to love that! Check up, there are more atheists in the prisons! Its for the low lives!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by hopefulLandlord: 9:56pm On Mar 04, 2017
enshy:

I am up!
You cant drag me down, I can only drag you up!
You ask me a question, when you dont understand the meaning of the main points.
Have all your mentors answered creation concept till date? How many years now?
You dont know who a believer and unbeliever is and want me to answer..You are a layman!

I can see those that have attempted to answer the question and failed so far like Archbishops, Deacons, GOs, apologists etc are way below your level grin

good to know
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Mar 04, 2017
whats wrong with liking food and wine
Re: Review Of Popular Atheists: Does Atheism Teach Morals? by frank317: 9:57pm On Mar 04, 2017
enshy:

Good, you did well.
Therefore you are a group of people who dont believe in existence of a God! Correct? If yes? Now 2 things:
Yes

1. If a group of people with just one common understanding, you should have guiding principles as seen in all formed groups around the world.
We don't ... We don't gather because it isn't necessary to us.

Have u ever seen different people who like the colour blue gather to come up with a guiding principle? Look at atheists as just people who have a common idea towards anything God. They are not different from the different number of people who like blue colour. Coming together for a guiding principle is not necessary to us. we just don't think any God exists, that's was common with us. Every one lives his life.

2. The name atheism shouldnt be applicable then cos atheism- depicts process, a way of being an atheist, what you should see in an atheist..The group is better called Atheist Group!
What process? What is a way of being an atheist? Is there a way of liking a blue colour? You seem to be one that like making up things just the way u made up God?
Well, I have explained to u, u are free to think the way u want... If u like call us group , if u like call us church,just don't call us what u want and come and ask us useless questions based on an idea in ur head.

Now going by your explanation, dont you think your group will boast of the highest number of drunks, smokers, drug addicts, womanizers, rapists, murderers because logic/reasoning tells me that current flows in the path of least resistance.
I really don't know what I mean by group
To ur question... I don't think so. I am not a rapist neither am i a murderer. I have seen many people who believe in God involve in all the vices u mentioned. What's ur point?

It can be concluded then that atheists are naturally people who are driven by desires, lust, vain appetites, that found the concept of divine punishment detrimental to their way of life and therefore chose the easy way out - there is no God, for if there is one, there would be punishment!

Are u a mad man? How did u come to this conclusion from my post on how I come up with my own principal of morality?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Religion (christianity/islam) A Blessing Or A Curse To Mankind? / Please Convert to African Traditional Religions / Probablistic Possibility Within The Subsets Of The Entropy for Peace of Mind.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.