Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,008 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State (56522 Views)

Young Man Engages Masquerade In A Flogging Contest As Villagers Watch. Photos / 'I Got Three Wives Through Flogging' - Fulani Man (photos) / Suitor Dies In Katsina Marriage Flogging Game (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by metallisc(m): 10:26pm On Mar 04, 2017
Amarabae:
They must be using jazz, how can you not feel pain after that kind of flogging?

Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by jahsharon: 10:28pm On Mar 04, 2017
Misypee:
Barbaric this people too local, can't believe someone is still doing this in this century

This actually started with the flogging of Eze-Indigbo of Akure at the Deji of Akure's Palace in 2015.
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by Burgerlomo: 10:34pm On Mar 04, 2017
People perish because of lack of knowledge, if to say na these oppressors wey dey wear green berret, camouflage uniforms, boots, and where their temporary headquarters dey for sambisa forest beat dem like dis now people go dey pity dem, I just pray make den no get tetanus infections through the beatings
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by loomer: 10:43pm On Mar 04, 2017
zerozz:

what about wrestling and boxing? its all one and the same, the only difference is packaging

Packaging ke, traditional wrestling no bad na, at least e resemble sumo, but this flogging kai is silly jare
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by mayortm001(m): 10:44pm On Mar 04, 2017
Very slow in development but weed get levels ooo grin
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by oteikwu16(m): 10:54pm On Mar 04, 2017
Lol!...those people in the video strong o! ...i wouldn't compete even if the prize money is 1 billion Naira. #ilovemyskin
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by Akposkibo(m): 11:09pm On Mar 04, 2017
why is it that all this afonja will just but giving the Igbos some thing to talk about. well there ooni is not around they can misbehave for now
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by charlesucheh(m): 12:08am On Mar 05, 2017
flogging what!!!!!! chai!! i can see their kidneys in their heads right now!!!!!

Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by MetaPhysical: 1:11am On Mar 05, 2017
This is a religious discipline and an act or practice common amongst West African cultures, and even European cultures, all the way to Middle East, to East Africa. Some use cane, some use chain, sticks, knife, and so on. All the big racial groups of Africa have this practice and still do it till today in remote forms.

Yorubas, Benins, Hausas, Edos, Hamars in Ethiopia, Fulanis, Mandings, Ashantes, ...

There is story of an Alaafin whose slaves were flogged for subordination and the marks left on their bare backs healed to become a fine tattoo that caught the fancy of the women in the palace, at which it became tradition to tattoo princes in order to enhance their masculinity.

The moral of the story has universal application as evidenced in the photos below. Flogging and its appeal has been commercialized and even introduced into the bedroom for taste of ecstatcy.

An action figure made to recognize it as an acceptable heritage.
A sensual mademoiselle posing, invitingly, with her whip/cane for a willing victim of her venom. grin grin

So please dont criticize it as a backward practice, unlike those from East, Yorubas just happen to keep pace with civilized human race who all still practice the custome in one form or another.

Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by Kyllahmc(m): 1:33am On Mar 05, 2017
Highness... Na the next day e go clear for them eyes
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by Nobody: 4:06am On Mar 05, 2017
Afonjas where are thou sense....?
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by UncleJJ(m): 4:28am On Mar 05, 2017
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by Nobody: 4:33am On Mar 05, 2017
Misypee:
Barbaric this people too local, can't believe someone is still doing this in this century
lol I can bet u can't take even 2 strokes grin
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by Vicolan: 5:59am On Mar 05, 2017
annnikky:
Hmmmm... Was thinking that I'll c u there tongue

Lol... so u will smile seeing my back peeling like yam ehn... God pass you oo
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by adecz: 7:08am On Mar 05, 2017
tmgold007:

U be cultist ni?na cultist dey flog with cutlass

Even the cane floggers are local, cultural, cultists in a traditional way.

Do you know what rituals they perform afterwards?

1 Like

Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by bkool7(m): 8:17am On Mar 05, 2017
Misypee:

They are barbaric because theyre from Africa, right?

What do you call these Europea ns?

https://europeisnotdead.com/video/broadcasts-of-europe/european-weird-traditions/
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by bkool7(m): 8:19am On Mar 05, 2017
Smhart1:
Awon werey

Theyre mad because theyre Africans, right?

I am sure youre from the East. If i do insults i would have insulted your too.

So , what do you call these Europeans?

https://europeisnotdead.com/video/broadcasts-of-europe/european-weird-traditions/
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by Misypee(f): 9:08am On Mar 05, 2017
bkool7:

They are barbaric because theyre from Africa, right?

What do you call these Europea ns?

dont add your own story, i was referring to the people in the picture
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by DrogoG(m): 9:38am On Mar 05, 2017
Animals!
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by riczy(m): 10:16am On Mar 05, 2017
Reporting from d South West, d score was 1-1
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by phenomem(m): 10:20am On Mar 05, 2017
Because this happened in Nigeria, some hypocritical bastard thinking they can make things work alone when they can't make it work when they are in Nigeria thinks it's rubbish they are doing while beating themselves up as sports.

Had it been it was in Europe they did this, you will start worshiping them. Hypocrites!

In as much as they are having fun while they are doing it, then it works them. Your name calling and segregation as if you are better is not funny anymore. It's turning you to nuisance. So for your sanity sake, please stop it. Hypocrites
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by ItsMeAboki(m): 10:22am On Mar 05, 2017
agulion:
Which type of local tradition is this? anyway with Afonjas anything is possible

This also resembles a long standing Fulani tradition called Sharo (pronounced sharrow) of coming of age into manhood; where a young man would stand still and receive agreed stroke(s) of lashing without flinching, in front of a large crowd including his family members (whose honour would be upheld if he does not show any sign of pain).
Such bravery and capacity to withstand pain is a respected character which adds value to his eligibility and attractiveness to potential female suitors towards marriage.
The recipient of a lashing is expected to retaliate against his opponent within the same event or in a subsequent festival in the same or following year(s).
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by Nobody: 10:23am On Mar 05, 2017
All these HIV/Hepatitis u guys are sharing, there is God ooo
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by Origin(f): 10:42am On Mar 05, 2017
So we do not forget how they beat Dem slaves back in the day. Kunta Kinte reloaded.
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by ejisun53(m): 12:02pm On Mar 05, 2017
When will my people learn? Only the children of the poor does this nonsense. My people die for lack of knowledge.
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by annnikky(f): 2:54pm On Mar 05, 2017
Vicolan:

Lol... so u will smile seeing my back peeling like yam ehn... God pass you oo
Na ur cash na undecided
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by Vicolan: 4:46pm On Mar 05, 2017
annnikky:

Na ur cash na undecided

Just confirmed it my mummy said she nva knew it still exist oooo dt its called ODUN OPA(Beating Festival).. Thank God I no even kwn d village self
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by annnikky(f): 6:05pm On Mar 05, 2017
Vicolan:

Just confirmed it my mummy said she nva knew it still exist oooo dt its called ODUN OPA(Beating Festival).. Thank God I no even kwn d village self
Na wah oo
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by Vicolan: 6:07pm On Mar 05, 2017
annnikky:
Na wah oo
Real wa ooo
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by lx3as(m): 8:23am On Mar 06, 2017
Smhart1:
What does the king have to offer the winner that made them go through such pain ?

poverty is a bastard

This is festival that has existed from generation to generation in Ipetu, Iyin and several Yoruba communities.
It's mainly used to initiate youth age groups to Egiri, war age group. The purpose was to make them fearless and endure pain.
In those days, the youths were ready to fight war till the last blood. Forget the chest beaters, emotional and forceful tribe whose Yorubas dealt with their asses' loudmouthed... You can see their uncultured comments above. Yorubas are very very tactical, courageous and resolute.
Re: 2017 Flogging Competition In Ipetu-ijesha, Osun State by lx3as(m): 9:01am On Mar 06, 2017
Vicolan:

Well, civilization overrides this already but there are still some adherent ones till today.
Not too long ago many used to come home, even from abroad for Odun Opa. It's now symbolic just as the tradition of intended husbands putting their hands into Gourds that contained all sort of small snakes, scorpions,etc, the pain would be unbearable before they were given antidote. Through this our fathers learnt how to endure all sort of troubles in their marriages with little or no divorce those days.
Opa was used to instill fearlessness and endurance in us as men that may be conscripted to fight war one day.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Gabriel Igbinedion Poses By His Luxury Car / Oyo Twins Festival: 2034 Sets Of Twins Participate / Ooni Ogunwusi And Wuraola At Olokun Festival (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.