Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,987 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:36 AM

Zimbabwe Bans The Beating Of Children - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Zimbabwe Bans The Beating Of Children (353 Views)

FUTA Students Arrested For Beating Up 100 Level Female Student / University Of Ibadan Bans The Use Of "Hotplates" As Strike Looms / Teachers Protest In Calabar At House Of Assembly Over DSS Beating Of Teachers(pi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zimbabwe Bans The Beating Of Children by surrogatesng: 8:19pm On Mar 04, 2017
Zimbabwe’s High Court has banned physical punishment for children both at school and in the home.

The ruling comes after a parent complained that her child in grade one, a class for six-year-olds, had deep bruises after a beating by a teacher.

Linah Pfungwa said her daughter had been punished for failing to have her reading book signed by guardians as proof she had done her homework.

The constitutional court will have to confirm the judgment.

The BBC’s Shingai Nyoka in the capital, Harare, says if upheld, it would transform the way parents have disciplined their children for centuries in the southern African country.

Some parents are criticizing the ruling, while rights groups says it is long overdue, she says.

Ms Pfungwa, who filed her application with support from the Justice for Children’s Trust, said her child was harshly assaulted with a rubber pipe.

My child suffered major bruises and I took photographs and pictures She had deep bruises on her back and she could hardly sleep properly, the state-run Chronicle newspaper quotes her as saying.

I posted the pictures of my daughter on our WhatsApp group for other parents to observe and it turned out that other children had also been beaten.

In her application, Ms Pfungwa said that children should not be subjected to any form of violence and such physical punishment breached their rights under Zimbabwe’s Constitution.

She argued that other forms of discipline should be used for children.

If my child disobeys, I ground her by denying her access to television as well as denying her pocket money or other goodies like sweets and presents, she said.

If she does well, I reward her by presents or extra hours of watching television.

My child is well-behaved and well-brought up simply as a result of the dialogue that I use as a means of discipline.

Justice David Mangota agreed that physical punishment for children was unconstitutional and said that parents and teachers should not lay their hands on children even if they misbehave.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-39141240
Re: Zimbabwe Bans The Beating Of Children by HungerBAD: 8:22pm On Mar 04, 2017
Lol

3 Likes

Re: Zimbabwe Bans The Beating Of Children by dejt4u(m): 8:26pm On Mar 04, 2017
This is 'unafrican'..
Re: Zimbabwe Bans The Beating Of Children by engrMikemd(m): 8:31pm On Mar 04, 2017
right step in good direction
Re: Zimbabwe Bans The Beating Of Children by dollyjoy(f): 8:32pm On Mar 04, 2017
Doesn't make sense. The only language children understand is cane, you don't talk to kids, they won't understand, you beat them. !!
Re: Zimbabwe Bans The Beating Of Children by Abdhul(m): 8:55pm On Mar 04, 2017
The way some parents and teachers attack STUDENTS eh IT'S LIKE THERE IS A VOICE that says .... MAKE THEM BLEED!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Zimbabwe Bans The Beating Of Children by slimthugchime(m): 8:56pm On Mar 04, 2017
dollyjoy:
Doesn't make sense. The only language children understand is cane, you don't talk to kids, they won't understand, you beat them. !!

no go scatter your pikin head, say you dey beat am undecided
Re: Zimbabwe Bans The Beating Of Children by Nobody: 9:05pm On Mar 04, 2017
our African morals are almost gone.

beating a child is good,but trying to kill the child in the form of beating is BAD

(1) (Reply)

Please Anyone Here Who Studied Mob-app-dev @NIIT / Law Or International Relations / Another Nigerian Kid Accepted Into All 8 Ivy Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.