Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,461 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

Why Jungle Justice Still Exists In Nigeria - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Jungle Justice Still Exists In Nigeria (455 Views)

JUNGLE JUSTICE: How I Would've Been Burnt For A Crime I Knew Nothing About / How I Saved A Girl From Jungle Justice In Onitsha - Henry Ikenna Ugwu / Ghanaian Female Soldiers Pose With A Python In The Jungle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Jungle Justice Still Exists In Nigeria by bizzyjosh: 4:46pm On Mar 07, 2017
Jungle justice can be said to be when humans take the execution of the law into their hands and carry out judgment on any individual for breaking the law. This form of justice is quite prevalent in third world countries especially African countries and Nigeria isn’t an exemption. In a society as diverse and multicultural as Nigeria, it is quite surprising that jungle justice is common and transcends our various cultural heritages and beliefs. Taking an observatory look at our society, I believe a reason for this can be faulted to the following reasons.

In a society where the values of hard work, honesty and perseverance are extolled. Any act that does not represent this virtues is seen as an affront to the integrity of the people and society at large. This virtues have subtly been implanted in us right from childhood from our parents, teachers and spiritual leaders. We’ve also heard tales of various criminals who’ve met violent ends as a deterrent to any such ideas in our minds and avoid such a fate. So taking a look at our beliefs and the power of our beliefs can never be overemphasized; Suicide bombers can strap bombs on themselves and end lives based on their beliefs, this shows that when it comes to the protection of beliefs any form of drastic action is not irrational.

Secondly, the lack of faith in law enforcement agencies charged with upholding the law. It is widely believed that law enforcement in Nigeria are inadequate in dealing with the threat of crime and its perpetrators. Their inability to act has led to large scale insecurity and has led to gaps which is readily exploited by criminals. In such a situation, the average citizen turns to his own defense and when he manages to apprehend a criminal, what is to stop him from executing the law when he has being doing the job of law enforcement. At such a time, being judge and executioner is the most befitting idea, he therefore exacts punishment as he deems fit. It’s been widely touted that our nation is “lawless’ due to the fact that sometimes works with and aid criminals in their activities and eventually their escape. Confidence in law enforcement (especially the police) is at an all time low, it will take more than good PR and some arrests to make the average citizen feel more secured and not take matters into his own hand.

Thirdly, the current economic situation in the country. There’s no denying that we are in one of the worst recessions this country has seen since independence. Food prices are skyrocketing, inflation is almost at 19% and the standard of living for most Nigerians has dropped below humane levels. At times like this; what you’ve worked hard to attain is worth more than a possession, it is a testament to your resilience and persistence to survive in such harsh conditions. When a criminal tries to take away from you, it’s no longer crime, it’s injustice and it must be rectified by justice even if it’s of the jungle variety. In a country where the death penalty is sub-consciously associated with every crime, at such a time there will be no mercy for your assailant and a pound of flesh is the only recourse for us.

Jungle justice is not a form of justice I condone but it is one that I understand. As a child, I witnessed jungle justice meted out to an uncle for stealing a pair of shoes, he was lucky not to lose his life but I never lost the lesson which is ‘Crime doesn’t pay”. Jungle justice is a part of our society and will not change anytime soon, what should be understood that crime doesn’t pay and once that is understood we will see less lynching and society will be better off as a whole.

Learn more @https://calabartraffic.com/2017/03/07/why-jungle-justice-still-exists-in-nigeria/

(1) (Reply)

The Beauty Of Knowing Yourself / Phone Swap / Breaking: Again Senate Rejects Magu As EFCC Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.