Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,112 members, 7,811,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:23 AM

10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken (68515 Views)

12 Most Beautiful Cities In Africa 2018 (pictures) / 12 Beautiful Resorts In Nigeria Where You Can Enjoy Your Honeymoon / 10 States In Nigeria Where Pidgin-English Is Most Spoken (written In Pidgin) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by odee36(m): 11:16pm On Mar 07, 2017
.....am not sure u have been to benin o....after warri benin is next..who dash PH 2nd position?

2 Likes

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by harizonal123(m): 11:16pm On Mar 07, 2017
Warri, Sapele, Benin are 123 for me in that order. I put Sapele ahead of Benin cos they don't make use of their local dialect there unlike Benin u see people speaking beinn everywhere. In pH they speak pidgin,I agree but a very simple and diluted form of it

2 Likes

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by slimmyAngel: 11:18pm On Mar 07, 2017
Abeg...Ibadan and owerri no follow for this list...

4 Likes

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by gerg: 11:20pm On Mar 07, 2017
Afam4eva:

Are you saying no part of Delta state speaks Igbo or anything like Igbo
I'm not here to argue with you. I don't know what Igbo or not Igbo has got to do with my comment. You're here to derail this thread once again because your Igbo brothers will troop in here and start their land grabbing activities. For your information, the so called Igbos you're talking about don't have anything in common with your SE. that's in terms of attitude and character. they're simply Deltans and behave just like every other Deltans.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Nobody: 11:22pm On Mar 07, 2017
ClintonNzedimma:

na lie....some job interviews here are in pidgin....Warri is the pidgin capital.....no doubt

You guys mistake accent for number of speakers. I've lived in both PH and Warri. There are way more pidgin english speakers in PH than Warri. What makes Warri pidgin popular is the accent and maybe the slang.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by unstableaswater: 11:22pm On Mar 07, 2017
gerg:
which Igbo speaking part? Seems you don't know anything about Delta. Deltans were not put in one state by mistake. study our history and our culture and you'll know there's only a slight similarities.

Stop deceiving yourself, there is an Igbo part of Delta, Urhobo part, Ijaw part and Itsekiri part.

The problem we have in this country is wen people deliberately try to be dumb.

Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu a delta man led a coup, till this day it is still referred to as the Igbo Coup.

Subsequently Tens of thousands of Igbo people were attacked and murdered in the North, y did they not focus the repercussions on other delta and edo tribe only, y igbos had to die for wat a Delta man did?

That Coup was the only coup given a tribe in the history of Nigeria.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Nobody: 11:22pm On Mar 07, 2017
harizonal123:
Warri, Sapele, Benin are 123 for me in that order. I put Sapele ahead of Benin cos they don't make use of their local dialect there unlike Benin u see people speaking beinn everywhere

PH has way more pidgin speakers than those 3 you mentioned.
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by ClintonNzedimma(m): 11:25pm On Mar 07, 2017
Ekinematics:

You guys mistake accent for number of speakers. I've lived in both PH and Warri. There are way more pidgin english speakers in PH than Warri. What makes Warri pidgin popular is the accent and maybe the slang.
not that...most pidgin slangs are carved from Warri...PH is not even suppose to compete with Sapele, Benin or Ughelli let alone Warri in terms of pidgin

4 Likes

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Topman0001(m): 11:25pm On Mar 07, 2017
aewhydot:
Op av u ever been 2 Lokoja?
I served in lokoja during my NYSC, some people speak pidgin but we have plenty other languages too that are widely spoken: Hausa, igala and Ebira most especially.
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by TinaAnita(f): 11:26pm On Mar 07, 2017
I don't see where Ibadan comes in as far as pidgin English is concerned. Most people speak yoruba in ibadan so it shouldn't be in the list whatsoever ‎

4 Likes

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Evestar200(f): 11:26pm On Mar 07, 2017
Na Warri Get Dis One After Warri, Na Sapele No Argument, Even Rural Areas In Delta Speak Pidgin English More Dan Dose Towns U Guys Are Naming

2 Likes

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by unstableaswater: 11:27pm On Mar 07, 2017
TinaAnita:
I don't see where Ibadan comes in as far as pidgin English is concerned. Most people speak yoruba in ibadan so it shouldn't be in the list whatsoever ‎

The OP is confused... dont mind him.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Nobody: 11:27pm On Mar 07, 2017
ClintonNzedimma:

not that...most pidgin slangs are carved from Warri...PH is not even suppose to compete with Sapele or Ughelli let alone Warri in terms of pidgin

It's not about slang.
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by gerg: 11:28pm On Mar 07, 2017
unstableaswater:

Stop deceiving yourself, there is an igbo part of delta. Urhobo part, ijaw part and Itsekiri part.

The problem we have in this country is wen people deliberately try to be dumb.

Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwua a delta man led a coup, till this day it is still referred to as the Igbo Coup.

Subsequently Tens of thousands of Igbo people were attacked and murdered in the North, y did they not focus the repercaution on other delta and edo tribe only, y igbos had to die for wat a Delta man did?

That Coup was the only coup given a tribe in the history of Nigeria.
Please, don't derail this beautiful thread. thanks.
I can reply you but this is not the right thread for that. this is a thread about pidgin English and all parts Delta speak pidgin English far better than any SE state. so what's your headache. please don't mention me again
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by ezeagu(m): 11:29pm On Mar 07, 2017
NaijaWebGuru:
Nowhere in Owerri is pidgin English spoken. In fact an average Igbo man in the east can't speak pidgin.

I've been telling people this and they've been doubting me.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by cooljoe(m): 11:29pm On Mar 07, 2017
bu mehn. warri guys dey finish pidgin. Kai. if dey converge nd speak 4 u, u go jst loss, e go b like say na anoda language dem dey speak

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Nobody: 11:29pm On Mar 07, 2017
ClintonNzedimma:

not that...most pidgin slangs are carved from Warri...PH is not even suppose to compete with Sapele, Benin or Ughelli let alone Warri in terms of pidgin

Lol. Go to PH, then go to Warri and compare how many persons you meet on a daily basis that converse with pidgin. I repeat stop mistaking accent or slang for number of speakers.
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by ezeagu(m): 11:29pm On Mar 07, 2017
NaijaWebGuru:
Nowhere in Owerri is pidgin English spoken. In fact an average Igbo man in the east can't speak pidgin.

I've been telling people this and they've been doubting me.

See: https://www.nairaland.com/3484784/real-originator-these-popular-words/4#51990394

Probz

4 Likes

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by unstableaswater: 11:30pm On Mar 07, 2017
gerg:
Please, don't derail this beautiful thread. thanks.
I can reply you but this is not the right thread for that. this is a thread about pidgin English and all parts Delta speak pidgin English far better than any SE state. so what's your headache. please don't mention me again

Next time, don't be mischievous or give out wrong information with the intention to mislead people.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by ClintonNzedimma(m): 11:30pm On Mar 07, 2017
Ekinematics:

It's not about slang.
you have your opinion but the fact remains its Warri....almost everyone is saying so majority wins the vote
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Nobody: 11:33pm On Mar 07, 2017
No SE city should be on that list.
My list based on number of speakers will be;

1. PH
2. Benin
3. Warri
4. Lagos
5. Yenagoa
5. Calabar
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by ClintonNzedimma(m): 11:34pm On Mar 07, 2017
Ekinematics:

Lol. Go to PH, then go to Warri and compare how many persons you meet on a daily basis that converse with pidgin. I repeat stop mistaking accent or slang for number of speakers.
ah wetin u wan tell me....I don waka marine base, borikiri, gra, choba, woji...u nor fit compare pidgin there with effurun, ovwian, ekpan, ubeji, jakpa na..... omo guy no be today belle face front

2 Likes

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by harizonal123(m): 11:34pm On Mar 07, 2017
Ekinematics:

PH has way more pidgin speakers than those 3 you mentioned.
Are u sure ? If Sapele pi.kin troweh langua pH pikin go understand
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Nobody: 11:35pm On Mar 07, 2017
ClintonNzedimma:

you have your opinion but the fact remains its Warri....almost everyone is saying so majority wins the vote

They say so because they love the Warri accent and probably the slang. And most Naija comedians makes you believe so. But I'm giving you educated fact based on number of speakers, people who speak pidgin as 1st language.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Nobody: 11:36pm On Mar 07, 2017
harizonal123:

Are u sure ? If Sapele pi.kin troweh langua pH pikin go understand

100%
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Pluviophile(f): 11:37pm On Mar 07, 2017
[quote author=repogirl post=54369647]OP, compared to other states in Nigeria, the southern states are the most pidgin speaking.
From Edo state down to Bayelsa, our Lingua na the very Pidgin language. I'm surprised Yenagoa no dey the list...Abi no be city again?[/quote E be like u need microscope ni
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by MosesIgb(m): 11:39pm On Mar 07, 2017
The ratio of pidgin speakers to other language is more in warri and Benin than lagos. Even almost everybody residing in Warri and Benin both old and the young can speak pidgin fluently. But in lagos it's hard to see an old woman above 70 speak pidgin which is normal in Benin and Warri.
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Halexgos(m): 11:41pm On Mar 07, 2017
Wentin happen show?
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by harizonal123(m): 11:42pm On Mar 07, 2017
Ekinematics:

1. PH
2. Benin
3. Warri
4. Lagos
5. Yenagoa
5. Calabar
Don't mistake numbers of speakers for originality. pH and Benin are sure more bigger cities than warri

2 Likes

Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by Nobody: 11:48pm On Mar 07, 2017
harizonal123:

Don't mistake numbers of speakers for originality

I mean peeps who speak it as 1st language. Accents differs. Warri and Benin have their own accent. PH and Yenagoa have their own. The warri accent is more popular because of the accent of their language making their pidgin sound unique. But as per number of speakers or peeps speaking pidgin as 1st language, men e no near PH at all.
Re: 10 Cities In Nigeria Where Pidgin English Is Most Spoken by ceejay4real(m): 11:49pm On Mar 07, 2017
Ekinematics:

1. PH
2. Benin
3. Warri
4. Lagos
5. Yenagoa
5. Calabar

Do you have anything against the South East? What's so special about pidgin English? Is it now a part of the national cake? You are just a tribal bigot cos your post makes no sense! I think the OP is right on Owerri cos Owerri is the most Cosmopolitan city in the South East. The irony of it all is that you may not have even been to the SE before! The city has 6 higher institutions and attracts thousands of visitors every weekend, so pidgin is widely spoken even by the elderly folks! So stop ranting unnecessarily and go get yourself a life! You can ring me up this weekend let me take you to the Cobana and many other awesome clubs and hotels. I bet you wouldn't want to go back to your red roof Republic! Anuofia!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Ajaokuta-Itakpe-Warri Railway To Be Commissioned Soon (Photos) / Trailer Loses Brake In Imo, Crushes 20 Women To Death (Photos) / I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.