Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,740 members, 7,955,825 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:10 PM

What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? - Business (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (85008 Views)

What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? / What's Happening On The Lagos-Ibadan Axis? / What's Happening On The Ikorodu Axis? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:40pm On Jul 08, 2011
Entering the Lekki Beach Road

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:42pm On Jul 08, 2011

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:44pm On Jul 08, 2011
Lekki Beach Road.

Jakande Estate is on the left.

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:46pm On Jul 08, 2011
At the old third roundabout junction

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:48pm On Jul 08, 2011
The toll gate was free because of the vehicles trapped at Igbo Efon junction.

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:49pm On Jul 08, 2011

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:50pm On Jul 08, 2011

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:52pm On Jul 08, 2011

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:52pm On Jul 08, 2011

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:55pm On Jul 08, 2011
The Ajiran Channel where I believe the waste water at the Igbo Efon area will be drained through.

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:56pm On Jul 08, 2011

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by X2X(m): 8:58am On Jul 09, 2011
Johnie,

Thanks for the pics.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by DisGuy: 2:59pm On Jul 09, 2011
nice pics?

I now see what you mean about the over head bridge!! who built that!!! totally closed up
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 2:35pm On Jul 18, 2011
Land reclamation: Fashola wants FG`s help

The Lagos State governor, Babatunde Fashola has appealed to the Federal Government to assist the Lagos State Government in its efforts to reclaim land overtaken by sea erosion. Mr. Fashola made the appeal when he visited communities in Lekki/Ajah in Eti-Osa Local Government Area of the state to ascertain the impact of recent heavy downpour in the area. He said that the Federal Government`s assistance was needed because the ocean encroachment contributed to flooding problems in the state which might have national impact.

Significant portion of land at the Alpha Beach-- where the governor also visited-- had been eroded by the Atlantic Ocean. ``The erosion at the Alpha beach, I am told, is a consequence of the rising water level due to global warming .What we need to do is to reclaim the land. We have lost about 50 metres of land and it still continues. The land is beginning to cave in. That is not because of the rains; it is a natural disaster and it has been on for some time. The situation has a national impact because the ocean is clearly redrawing the geographical map of Nigeria. In that sense, we need the Federal Government to assist us.” He said. Mr. Fashola said the FG could assist by building a minimum three-km shoreline protection on the affected area, as it did at the Bar Beach years ago, to keep the encroaching ocean under control.

“The measure will help to put a check on the perennial flooding in the state, especially in communities close to the ocean, and preserve the geographical definition of the country. We have sent the details of how the Federal Government can help the state to Mr President. We expect to get a support,” he said. The governor said the state government had embarked on the construction of drainage system, including 10 major storm water channels in Eti-Osa.

He said the effort was to drain water from the Atlantic Ocean into the lagoon across the expressway. Mr. Fashola enjoined residents in flood-prone communities, such as NICON Estate in Ajah, to assist the government drain their communities by giving part of their land for the building of the storm water channels. The governor said health officials had been mobilized to distribute disinfectants and other supplies to residents of these communities to keep them safe from contacting diseases. Communities visited by the governor included Maiyegun, Igbokuso, Ilasan, Silverbird road, Igbo Efon, NICON and Chevron Estates.

The governor also inspected drainage channels such as the Agungi channel, Osapa London community drainage system and the suspended alignment at Maiyegun Beach-- meant to drain Igbo-Efon community

http://www.castlesweekly.com/ShowArticle.aspx?ID=1632
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by ektbear: 3:04pm On Jul 18, 2011
Thanks for the update, johnie.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 3:19pm On Jul 18, 2011
You are welcome
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 3:40pm On Jul 18, 2011
Good news!

I just saw a full-page public notice in today's Punch Newspaper (page 80) in which the LASG is notifying the general public of the Right of Way (ROW) of the proposed Coastal Road alignment from Ahmadu Bello Way (V/Island) to Lafiaji  Area (this is just after Alpha Beach).

Why I call this good news is that it means the LASG is actually serious about the construction of the coastal road which should serve as an alternative to the Lekki Toll road.   cheesy

The question now is when will the actual construction begin and what impact will the coastal erosion along the shore pose to the road if the LASG is unable to secure the asssitance of the FG as canvassed by BRF in my last post?

This may also be bad news for speculators who may have ignorantly purchased plots on the ROW!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:07pm On Jul 18, 2011
The notice

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:12pm On Jul 18, 2011
The coastal road should run horizontally to the right from point 4 towards 3

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by phuckNL: 10:48am On Jul 19, 2011
^^^^^
Johnie, thanks a bunch for all your updates. I "think" the ad by LASG is just a political one. Here's my reasoning : I believe they put it up so that people would think they are actually serious about building this road. This will pave the way for LCC to start collecting tolls. They will claim LASG is about to build the alternative so dont "worry" continue paying the tolls, an alternative is coming. That road may not be built in the next 5 - 10 yrs. I HOPE I'm WRONG
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 11:19am On Jul 19, 2011
I thought of that too.

I hope we are wrong!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by AjanleKoko: 3:18pm On Jul 19, 2011
phuck_NL:

^^^^^
Johnie, thanks a bunch for all your updates. I "think" the ad by LASG is just a political one. Here's my reasoning : I believe they put it up so that people would think they are actually serious about building this road. This will pave the way for LCC to start collecting tolls. They will claim LASG is about to build the alternative so dont "worry" continue paying the tolls, an alternative is coming. That road may not be built in the next 5 - 10 yrs. I HOPE I'm WRONG

Insider sources tell me they want to build the road.
But you are right that the road won't be built in the next 10 years. That's clearly evident.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by bukkytroni: 9:14am On Jul 20, 2011
Well, that was how people claimed Lekki Expressway will be another well-researched good-to-have project to rest in the archives of State Libraries. The rest is history. Fashola, carry on Eko O ni baje.

Meanwhile, I once overheard that the 'alternative road' is also a tolled road. Can someone please research and confirm that information (with facts)?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 12:42pm On Jul 20, 2011
Research I carried out very early in the project suggested that the coastal road was the one originally supposed to be tolled.

I think somewhere along the line the idea was dropped probably because it would be cheaper and faster to add a lane to each side of the existing road making the investment more attractive.

I will look for the details.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 12:50pm On Jul 20, 2011
Here's a 2008 report on the project by O. Chima Okereke which I found at http://www.pmforum.org/blogs/news/2008/07/nigerian-toll-road-project-receives.html
------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, July 04, 2008
Nigerian Toll Road Project receives AfDB funding
Reported by O. Chima Okereke in Port Harcourt

The African Development Bank (AfDB) Group has approved a loan of up to US$ 85 million to help finance the upgrade/rehabilitation of the Lekki to Epe expressway, linking Victoria Island with the Lekki peninsula in Lagos, Nigeria's economic capital.

The project consists of upgrading, widening and tolling of the existing 49.5km long Lekki–Epe Expressway, which is the principal road artery linking Victoria Island in Lagos with the Lekki peninsula. The objective is to alleviate traffic congestion and improve road safety along the Lekki corridor. It is based on Public-Private Partnership (PPP) under the Design, Build, Operate (DBOT), and Transfer and Rehabilitate, Operate (ROT) framework/business model.

The first phase of the project will involve the rehabilitation of the existing 49.5km long expressway, the construction of a new ramp to carry traffic onto the Falomo bridge, construction of new interchanges, footbridges, walkways and bus stops along the expressway, construction of 6 kilometers of the new 20-km long coastal road (which will serve as an alternative road up to toll plaza 1), and build 10 interconnecting link roads between the Expressway and the coastal road respectively. Three toll plazas along the Expressway will also be constructed.

Phase two will consist of building the remaining 14 km of the coastal road, and will be contingent on the Lagos State Government‘s completion of civil works on the new coastal defenses (to check erosion).

The project sponsors, Asset and Resource Management Ltd, a reputable local firm, is partnering with Larue Projects Ltd. (Larue) as joint sponsors and, together, they play the role of "key investor" to the project.

As part of its due diligence, the Bank developed a detailed in-house financial model to quantify the economic benefits to the various stakeholders. The model results showed that the main beneficiaries of the project are the Nigerian road users who will enjoy a net consumer surplus of NGN 41.7 billion* in present value terms. Furthermore the Lekki toll road project will considerably alleviate the highly congested traffic situation in Lagos especially during rush hours. On completion, the toll road is expected to reduce travel times while improving road safety and security, lower vehicle operating costs for road users, create jobs, and provide much needed and well-maintained transportation infrastructure which will lead to an increase in business activities along the corridor.

The project is expected to create 635 short-term and 1,146 long-term jobs with a good proportion of the employees being women. Labor benefits have an estimated present value of NGN 1.1 billion, which represents the difference between the current earnings of labor and wages paid by the project.

The project is considered as a landmark PPP and is in line with the master plan for Lagos State. It is also consistent with the national development strategy for the Federal Republic of Nigeria, with emphasis on strengthening the transportation infrastructure in order to meet the needs of its growing population and encouraging private sector-led investments in the transport sector.

The total project cost is approximately US$ 382 million, about NGN 44.91 billion The AfDB loan represents 35% of the total senior debt. Other international lenders to the project include Standard Bank London. The Bank also played a key role in ensuring international best practice environmental impact assessment and ensuring adequate mitigation measures to be put in place during construction.
(* 1 US$ = NGN 191.570 as at 18/06/2008)
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 2:15pm On Jul 20, 2011
Here's a news report from 2008 (http://www.pmforum.org/blogs/news/2008/07/nigerian-toll-road-project-receives.html):
_------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, July 04, 2008
Nigerian Toll Road Project receives AfDB funding
Reported by O. Chima Okereke in Port Harcourt

The African Development Bank (AfDB) Group has approved a loan of up to US$ 85 million to help finance the upgrade/rehabilitation of the Lekki to Epe expressway, linking Victoria Island with the Lekki peninsula in Lagos, Nigeria's economic capital.

The project consists of upgrading, widening and tolling of the existing 49.5km long Lekki–Epe Expressway, which is the principal road artery linking Victoria Island in Lagos with the Lekki peninsula. The objective is to alleviate traffic congestion and improve road safety along the Lekki corridor. It is based on Public-Private Partnership (PPP) under the Design, Build, Operate (DBOT), and Transfer and Rehabilitate, Operate (ROT) framework/business model.

The first phase of the project will involve the rehabilitation of the existing 49.5km long expressway, the construction of a new ramp to carry traffic onto the Falomo bridge, construction of new interchanges, footbridges, walkways and bus stops along the expressway, construction of 6 kilometers of the new 20-km long coastal road (which will serve as an alternative road up to toll plaza 1), and build 10 interconnecting link roads between the Expressway and the coastal road respectively. Three toll plazas along the Expressway will also be constructed.

Phase two will consist of building the remaining 14 km of the coastal road, and will be contingent on the Lagos State Government‘s completion of civil works on the new coastal defenses (to check erosion).

The project sponsors, Asset and Resource Management Ltd, a reputable local firm, is partnering with Larue Projects Ltd. (Larue) as joint sponsors and, together, they play the role of "key investor" to the project.

As part of its due diligence, the Bank developed a detailed in-house financial model to quantify the economic benefits to the various stakeholders. The model results showed that the main beneficiaries of the project are the Nigerian road users who will enjoy a net consumer surplus of NGN 41.7 billion* in present value terms. Furthermore the Lekki toll road project will considerably alleviate the highly congested traffic situation in Lagos especially during rush hours. On completion, the toll road is expected to reduce travel times while improving road safety and security, lower vehicle operating costs for road users, create jobs, and provide much needed and well-maintained transportation infrastructure which will lead to an increase in business activities along the corridor.

The project is expected to create 635 short-term and 1,146 long-term jobs with a good proportion of the employees being women. Labor benefits have an estimated present value of NGN 1.1 billion, which represents the difference between the current earnings of labor and wages paid by the project.

The project is considered as a landmark PPP and is in line with the master plan for Lagos State. It is also consistent with the national development strategy for the Federal Republic of Nigeria, with emphasis on strengthening the transportation infrastructure in order to meet the needs of its growing population and encouraging private sector-led investments in the transport sector.

The total project cost is approximately US$ 382 million, about NGN 44.91 billion The AfDB loan represents 35% of the total senior debt. Other international lenders to the project include Standard Bank London. The Bank also played a key role in ensuring international best practice environmental impact assessment and ensuring adequate mitigation measures to be put in place during construction.
(* 1 US$ = NGN 191.570 as at 18/06/2008)
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by phuckNL: 2:41pm On Jul 20, 2011
bukkytroni:

Well, that was how people claimed Lekki Expressway will be another well-researched good-to-have project to rest in the archives of State Libraries. The rest is history. Fashola, carry on Eko O ni baje.

Meanwhile, I once overheard that the 'alternative road' is also a tolled road. Can someone please research and confirm that information (with facts)?

If it is also tolled, then it is not an "alternative"
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:14pm On Jul 20, 2011
According to a publication (page 4) of LCC titled 'The Lekki Toll Road User Guide v1.0' of May 2010:

The Project is in two phases: Phase I includes the rehabilitation and upgrade of the existing road as well as the creation of new road infrastructure, along 49.4Km of
the Lekki-Epe Expressway; while Phase II includes construction of 20Km of the Coastal Road. Both roads are designed to be toll roads.

You can download the guide at http://cislagos.com/main/school-information/lagos-life/useful-information/item/download/59.html
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by phuckNL: 1:12am On Jul 22, 2011
@Johnie

Pls whats the current state of the road construction. Have they made it up the chevron toll? How about the chevron toll? Am sure they must have reduced/stopped working due to rain and other concerns.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by megastu(m): 8:30am On Jul 22, 2011
@Jonnie,

Thank you for the good work. I have been out of the country and have not been following this thread because nothing seems to be happening on that road since the past 9 months.

I hope they speed up the construction because the hold up towards ajah, these days, is becoming unbearable.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:58am On Jul 22, 2011
@Phuck_nl

The rains have not stopped work on the road.

The pace of work on the Chevron Toll Plaza seems to be to be faster than that on the first plaza. In my estimation, I'd say they've gone about 75%.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 9:04am On Jul 22, 2011
Missed you Megastu!

Are you back in Lagos now?

Someone told me last night that the traffic heading to Ajah from Chevron has reduced considerably. I can't confirm that though. I was told that the u-turn spot at Ajah has been relocated along with the bus park thereby freeing traffic there.

Incidentally, David Cameron, Fashola and Sanusi were some of the digintiatries who travled along that road to the Lagos Business School earlier this week. That visit might have been the catalyst for the 'brainwave ' LCC got to do something about the Ajah go-slow.

Imagine those three personalities and their entourage being caught up in the usual Ajah gridlock.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

Sayyu Dantata Flying His $2m Helicopter To His Office (Photos) / Nigerian Man Takes $500,000 Cash To Deposit In A Bank, Causes Stirs / Electric Cable At First Bank ATM Mile 12, Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.