Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,244 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:31 AM

Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? (2314 Views)

A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . / Shop Owned By Pastor Adeboye's Son Where A Pair Of Shoe Is Sold $4000 (Photos) / Santa Claus Was A Catholic Bishop Who Owned A Slave Named Black Pete (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by luvmijeje(f): 5:59pm On Mar 09, 2017
First of all, Let's look at the definition of slave using Merriam Webster dictionary

someone who is legally owned by another person and is forced to work for that person without pay.

For you to be qualified as a slaves three things must exist..... You must be legally owned by someone else, you must be forced to work and you won't be paid.

So let's go into the Bible, the first person to owned a supposed slave is Abraham and why did he needs it Gen 13:1,2,6 explained why
So Abram went up from Egypt to the Negev, with his wife and everything he had, and Lot went with him.
2 Abram had become very wealthy in livestock and in silver and gold.
6 But the land could not support them while they stayed together, for their possessions were so great that they were not able to stay together.

You would'nt expect Abraham at an old age, even at any age to singlehandedly handled possession so great to the extent the land couldn't contained it.

Who was the first supposed known slave in Bible? In Gen 19:3-4

3 So after Abram had been living in Canaan ten years, Sarai his wife took her Egyptian slave Hagar and gave her to her husband to be his wife. 4 He slept with Hagar, and she conceived.
When she knew she was pregnant, she began to despise her mistress

A slave was given to Abraham by his wife. Do you know what it means? Let's break it down. Sarah has given up at that age on given birth to her own children. So it means at that point Hagar's child will the inheritor of Abraham's vast Possession.

And Sarah willingly gave everything she has worked with to her slave. Does the definition of slave applied to Hagar?

In addition God who doesn't discriminate as long as you serve him also pour out his blessings on Hagar in Gen 16:10

10 The angel added, “I will increase your descendants so much that they will be too numerous to count.”

So that is the background of the so called slavery. So let me start debunking some quotes.

1.) Genesis chapter 17, verse 12:
“And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed. He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised”.

In this passage God understands that people buy other people and, quite obviously, is comfortable with the concept. God wants slaves circumcised in the same way as non-slaves.
You didn't finish God's words

Then In Genesis 17:13, God said

13 Whether born in your household or bought with your money, they must be circumcised. My covenant in your flesh is to be an everlasting covenant.

God never discriminated when making his convenant with them. What's good for the goose is also good for the gander.

2.) Exodus chapter 12 verse 43:

The Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “These are the regulations for the Passover: No foreigner is to eat of it. Any slave you have bought may eat of it after you have circumcised him, but a temporary resident and a hired worker may not eat of it”.

God again shows that he is completely comfortable with the concept of slavery and singles out slaves for special treatment.

Lies! Lies! From the verse you quoted, Let's read it together. No foreigner must eat of it. While any slave you have bought may eat of it after you have circumcised him. Oga, God gave the go ahead for slave to eat of his convenant as long as they are circumcised like the other Israelites. So What's the special treatment?

3.) Exodus Chapter 21, verse 20:

“If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property”.

Not only does God condone slavery, but he is also completely comfortable with the concept of beating your slaves, as long as you don't kill them.

Project 13:24

24 Whoever spares the rod hates their children,
but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.

You can see from the above verse that the Bible is not also averse to disciplining your biological child. God doesn't spare his rod when it also comes to us.

Heb 12:6 says

For whom the Lord loves He chastens,
And scourges every son whom He receives.”[a]

It's not only slave God encourages us to chastised. Please stop your lies.

One of the reasons why the American Civil War was fought was that the Southern Christian fundamentalists wanted to hold on to their slaves because it's their God given right and they had numerous Bible passages to back them up like the ones quoted above.
So, as far as the old testament is still part of the Bible and hasn't been scrapped, my brother, as a Christian, you're allowed to keep slaves.
Watch luvmijeje, enshy and Godsmopol come for my hide.
This lies from the pit of hell. Why are you lying to make a point. Kindly refer to the article below to educate yourself on the roles Christians plays in the absolution of slave trade

http://www.jubilee-centre.org/the-abolition-of-the-slave-trade-christian-conscience-and-political-action-by-john-coffey/

The Christian Gods approved of slavery, but by outlawing slavery, many Christians have rejected their Gods' endorsement of slavery, and thus become more moral.

God recognized slavery but when given out his blessings he never discriminated between a freeborn and slave born. Joel 2:28-29

And it shall come to pass afterward
That I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh;
Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
Your old men shall dream dreams,
Your young men shall see visions.
29 And also on My menservants and on My maidservants
I will pour out My Spirit in those days.

The Christian Gods approved of selling female children as sex slaves, but by the treatment of children as fungible property, even if the children are cursed with two X chromosomes, many Christ

Please kindly expatiate the reason for your wailing.

but d new testament welcomes slavery,Eph6:5-9,Col3:22-24,4:1.

Eph 6: 5,6,9 says

5 Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ;

6 Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart;

9 And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him.

Oga Ade, what's welcoming in this passage. From the above passage we can see the Bible enjoined people to treat their servants well.

Col 3:22-23 and 4:1

22 Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. 23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters
4 Masters, provide your slaves with what is right and fair, because you know that you also have a Master in heaven.

So how's the above quote welcoming slavery.

In conclusion, God never gave a law on the ownership of slavery but he gave a law against the mistreatment of slaves.
And gave laws that will qualify a slave as a partaker of his convenant.

There are a lot of things that is acceptable to God in those period and it's invalid now due to change in time's and laws . I'll give 3 instances.

Killing of goat as a sacrificial offering.

Owning a slave.

Circumcision before you can be accepted by God.

Only a priest canbe sanctify from sins. etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by luvmijeje(f): 6:01pm On Mar 09, 2017
cc panafrican, Zoharariel, CatfishBilly, hopefulLandlord,
Wilgrea7, tijjanioyan etc...... .. .. where are thou? Food don done.
Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by GodsMopol: 8:16pm On Mar 09, 2017
Let them come and feast, pls, madam, na ground make them sit down ooo, no give them spoon self
Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by luvmijeje(f): 8:29pm On Mar 09, 2017
GodsMopol:
Let them come and feast, pls, madam, na ground make them sit down ooo, no give them spoon self

I won't give them chin chin. Thank you my Oga.

1 Like

Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by GodsMopol: 9:40pm On Mar 09, 2017
luvmijeje:

I won't give them chin chin. Thank you my Oga.

Haha, that's not fair ooo, you know we are commanded to love our neighbours, I think they are speechless, they can't comprehend the wisdom in the rebuttal version

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by Wilgrea7(m): 2:08am On Mar 10, 2017
luvmijeje:
cc panafrican, Zoharariel, CatfishBilly, hopefulLandlord,
Wilgrea7, tijjanioyan etc...... .. .. where are thou? Food don done.

I'm neither an atheist nor a deist... so i see no reason why you should mention me among them..
Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by randomperson: 4:21am On Mar 10, 2017
This Op is just being dishonest.
Your god endorses beating a slave to death, as long as the slave doesn't die immediately. How can you equate that to disciplining a child. Can you beat your child to death??
You don't want to admit that the god you believe in is the kind of God that will endorse acts as barbaric as slavery... But the facts are right there for all to see.

1 Like

Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by CatfishBilly: 7:31am On Mar 10, 2017
luvmijeje:

This lies from the pit of hell. Why are you lying to make a point. Kindly refer to the article below to educate yourself on the roles Christians plays in the absolution of slave trade

http://www.jubilee-centre.org/the-abolition-of-the-slave-trade-christian-conscience-and-political-action-by-john-coffey/
I've been civil ever since I started commenting on Nairaland, please, don't make me change.
I don't appreciate being called a liar.
I wrote SOUTHERN Christians and American Civil War. it's not my fault if you can't understand the difference between southern Christians and Christians or American Civil War and Slave Trade.
Go and read up on the religious cause of the American Civil War, then we'll talk.
I said you were going to spin it and you didn't disappoint.
You even had to distort what I said to make your point.
Na wa

4 Likes

Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by luvmijeje(f): 10:28am On Mar 10, 2017
CatfishBilly:

I've been civil ever since I started commenting on Nairaland, please, don't make me change.
I don't appreciate being called a liar.
I wrote SOUTHERN Christians and American Civil War. it's not my fault if you can't understand the difference between southern Christians and Christians or American Civil War and Slave Trade.
Go and read up on the religious cause of the American Civil War, then we'll talk.
I said you were going to spin it and you didn't disappoint.
You even had to distort what I said to make your point.
Na wa

It's dishonest of you for you to label everyone who supported slave trade in the south as Christians while ignoring the fact that there will be others who are also in same South who are against it.

It's like saying Nigerians are corrupt. It's called fallacy of generalization.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by luvmijeje(f): 10:38am On Mar 10, 2017
randomperson:
Your god endorses beating a slave to death, as long as the slave doesn't die immediately. How can you equate that to disciplining a child. Can you beat your child to death??
You don't want to admit that the god you believe in is the kind of God that will endorse acts as barbaric as slavery... But the facts are right there for all to see.

Oga, who told you that the intention of the master was to discipline the slave to death? Nobody will have the intention of beating someone to death except you are a murderer.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by GodsMopol: 12:53pm On Mar 10, 2017
randomperson:

Beating to death, did I hear that right, do you know what Jesus said before He finally went to heaven

Matthew 28:20 [/b]Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded[b] you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

A good Christian is a follower of Christ, an imitator of Christ, so in that vein, show me a place in the new testament where Jesus expressly commanded His disciples-you can include Paul and other disciples-to beat to death anyone and I would believe you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by randomperson: 4:37pm On Mar 10, 2017
GodsMopol:

Beating to death, did I hear that right, do you know what Jesus said before He finally went to heaven

Matthew 28:20 [/b]Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded[b] you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

A good Christian is a follower of Christ, an imitator of Christ, so in that vein, show me a place in the new testament where Jesus expressly commanded His disciples-you can include Paul and other disciples-to beat to death anyone and I would believe you
Simple question I need you to answer... Did your god permit beating a slave to death?

1 Like

Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by randomperson: 4:38pm On Mar 10, 2017
luvmijeje:

Oga, who told you that the intention of the master was to discipline the slave to death? Nobody will have the intention of beating someone to death except you are a murderer.
So did the law talk about intentions? The bible permits a person to beat his slave to death. Yes/no.
Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by delishpot: 5:49pm On Mar 10, 2017
Jesus was a Jew so were all his ancestors so owning slaves was allowed then and they did. Just like many African cultures allowed slavery too even the best amongst men owned slaves difference was, they treated them better and with fairness. It did not make slavery right but it helped those few lucky slaves to live in some peace and even regain freedom.
Christianity started after Christ when the Jewish leaders and the politicians started persecuting Christ followers. That was when they tagged them Christians. No, they can not own another man.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by luvmijeje(f): 5:54pm On Mar 10, 2017
randomperson:

So did the law talk about intentions? The bible permits a person to beat his slave to death. Yes/no.
No.

1 Like

Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by CatfishBilly: 6:00pm On Mar 10, 2017
luvmijeje:

It's dishonest of you for you to label everyone who supported slave trade in the south as Christians while ignoring the fact that there will be others who are also in same South who are against it.

It's like saying Nigerians are corrupt. It's called fallacy of generalization.
What are you even on about?
What was the predominant religion in the south, then?
Christianity.
What was the religion of the slave holders?
Christianity
Whose voice was heard the most trying to defend keeping slaves?
Christian slave Masters.
The Christians who were against it sure didn't make their voices heard.
Go and read about it like I said, then we'll talk.

1 Like

Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by luvmijeje(f): 6:04pm On Mar 10, 2017
CatfishBilly:

What are you even on about?
What was the predominant religion in the south, then?
Christianity.
What was the religion of the slave holders?
Christianity
Whose voice was heard the most trying to defend keeping slaves?
Christian slave Masters.
The Christians who were against it sure didn't make their voices heard.
Go and read about it like I said, then we'll talk.
The dominant religion in American as a whole is christianity. Other religions are in minority.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by CatfishBilly: 6:07pm On Mar 10, 2017
delishpot:
Jesus was a Jew so were all his ancestors so owning slaves was allowed then and they did. Just like many African cultures allowed slavery too even the best amongst men owned slaves difference was, they treated them better and with fairness. It did not make slavery right but it helped those few lucky slaves to live in some peace and even regain freedom.
Christianity started after Christ when the Jewish leaders and the politicians started persecuting Christ followers. That was when they tagged them Christians. No, they can not own another man.
The Bible which is the word of God condemned killing, stealing, lying, fornication, adultery, even things as mundane as circumcision was discussed in the Bible.
The Bible didn't condemn slavery. It even gave guidelines in how slave masters should relate with their slaves.
The Bible was comfortable with slavery. If it wasn't show me a verse online that proves otherwise.
Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by delishpot: 6:11pm On Mar 10, 2017
CatfishBilly:

The Bible which is the word of God condemned killing, stealing, lying, fornication, adultery, even things as mundane as circumcision was discussed in the Bible.
The Bible didn't condemn slavery. It even gave guidelines in how slave masters should relate with their slaves.
The Bible was comfortable with slavery. If it wasn't show me a verse online that proves otherwise.

1 Timothy 1:8-10
Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by CatfishBilly: 6:26pm On Mar 10, 2017
delishpot:

1 Timothy 1:8-10
But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine,
I Timothy 1:8‭-‬10 NKJV
So, what you're saying in essence is that the old testament isn't applicable to believers? Okay, fine.
2 questions.
1) Why do pastors hammer on first fruit and tithes which are old testament laws?
2) Explain Eph 6:5-9, Col 3:22-24, 4:1.
Also, explain the reasoning behind Paul's decision to send the runaway slave back to his master and telling the master to take it easy on him?
Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by delishpot: 6:40pm On Mar 10, 2017
CatfishBilly:

But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine,
I Timothy 1:8‭-‬10 NKJV
So, what you're saying in essence is that the old testament isn't applicable to believers? Okay, fine.
2 questions.
1) Why do pastors hammer on first fruit and tithes which are old testament laws?
2) Explain Eph 6:5-9, Col 3:22-24, 4:1.
Also, explain the reasoning behind Paul's decision to send the runaway slave back to his master and telling the master to take it easy on him?
Kidnappers those days used to be slave traders. They kidnap and sell. So the Bible condemns the act.
Well, Paul broke a rule on that one. Cos even the law of the land forbade people from returning a runaway slave. Maybe Paul no get room for him house grin
But true, Jesus Never spoke against slavery, he only encouraged their owners to treat them fairly.
Jesus was bold in many things, maybe he did not believe slavery was bad as long as you treat the slave fairly. Cos slavery then was not about racism or hate, it was more of an economic escape where people even offered themselves to be slaves. But Jesus discouraged people from placing heavy financial burdens on the poor and to not deal harshly with debtors. That was the fastest way to become a slave in Jesus time. Maybe if he had spoken against slavery, the whole community would have stoned him. But on the other hand, he would have used miracle to pay back what slaves owed their masters. My brother, it is a looong road.
Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by Wilgrea7(m): 7:31pm On Mar 10, 2017
wow.... I'm short of words
Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by randomperson: 7:39pm On Mar 10, 2017
luvmijeje:

No.
When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be punished; for the slave is his money.”
—Exodus 21:20-21 (RSV)

Now do u believe the bible or not
Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by CatfishBilly: 7:42pm On Mar 10, 2017
Wilgrea7:
wow.... I'm short of words
What's shorting your words? grin
Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by Earth2Metahuman: 7:43pm On Mar 10, 2017
Hmm

Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by CatfishBilly: 7:45pm On Mar 10, 2017
delishpot:

Kidnappers those days used to be slave traders. They kidnap and sell. So the Bible condemns the act.
Well, Paul broke a rule on that one. Cos even the law of the land forbade people from returning a runaway slave. Maybe Paul no get room for him house grin
But true, Jesus Never spoke against slavery, he only encouraged their owners to treat them fairly.
Jesus was bold in many things, maybe he did not believe slavery was bad as long as you treat the slave fairly. Cos slavery then was not about racism or hate, it was more of an economic escape where people even offered themselves to be slaves. But Jesus discouraged people from placing heavy financial burdens on the poor and to not deal harshly with debtors. That was the fastest way to become a slave in Jesus time. Maybe if he had spoken against slavery, the whole community would have stoned him. But on the other hand, he would have used miracle to pay back what slaves owed their masters. My brother, it is a looong road.

Thank You. I like your honesty.
This has been fun, really.
Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by luvmijeje(f): 7:57pm On Mar 10, 2017
randomperson:

When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be punished; for the slave is his money.”
—Exodus 21:20-21 (RSV)

Now do u believe the bible or not

Let's read together. And the slaves die under his hands, he will be punished.. .. .. . Meaning inhuman punishment is not accepted by God.

Let me give use an instance, no one can hold you responsible for disciplining your child but the government will step in when you beat your child to death... .. true or false.

And I've also give you a lot of Bible verses where God enjoined the masters to treat their slaves in the same matter they also want to be treated by him.
Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by randomperson: 9:22pm On Mar 10, 2017
luvmijeje:

Let's read together. And the slaves die under his hands, he will be punished.. .. .. . Meaning inhuman punishment is not accepted by God.

Let me give use an instance, no one can hold you responsible for disciplining your child but the government will step in when you beat your child to death... .. true or false.

And I've also give you a lot of Bible verses where God enjoined the masters to treat their slaves in the same matter they also want to be treated by him.
We can both read... If the master beats the slave and he dies three days later? He goes Scot free, right? If I beat my child and he dies three days later, it's murder right?
Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by hopefulLandlord: 9:32pm On Mar 10, 2017
randomperson:

We can both read... If the master beats the slave and he dies three days later? He goes Scot free, right? If I beat my child and he dies three days later, it's murder right?

he's stylishly wishing away the specific 2days as written in the Bible

funny enough the bible didn't say what this "punishment" is which seems fishy

I'm assuming it involves paying some fine rather than killing the owner
Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by Wilgrea7(m): 10:21pm On Mar 10, 2017
CatfishBilly:

What's shorting your words? grin

if i were to say my mind on this issue, the Christians would come for my head... I'm just quiet so it wouldn't seem like I'm attacking my fellow Christians... before they start calling me agent of the devil... almost the same way some say “the devil and the doctors said i wouldn't make it" grin

1 Like

Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by CatfishBilly: 10:25pm On Mar 10, 2017
Wilgrea7:

if i were to say my mind on this issue, the Christians would come for my head... I'm just quiet so it wouldn't seem like I'm attacking my fellow Christians... before they start calling me agent of the devil... almost the same way some say “the devil and the doctors said i wouldn't make it" grin
Lmao.
We're having a good conversation. No one will come for your head for voicing your opinion. You'll feel good after saying it.
Indulge me, I want to know what you think.
Re: Rebuttal: Can A Christian Owned A Slave? by hopefulLandlord: 10:28pm On Mar 10, 2017
Wilgrea7:

nah, its nothing new

even Christians started insulting and cursing each other on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3615455/does-new-covenant-abolish-ten/9 and any "Christian" who tried to add Sanity to it was also dragged into the curse trading

although I sincerely, (no trolling) still can't find a rationale behind the contradictions among Christians and each claims to be right

(1) (2) (Reply)

Adefarasin To Teach Raw S/ex In Church. / “the Mighty God”, The Lord Jesus Christ, The Only Saviour / Hierarchy In Heaven?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.