Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,983 members, 7,817,902 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

Tips On Getting A Good Night’s Rest - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tips On Getting A Good Night’s Rest (322 Views)

May God Grant Us All A Beautiful Night Rest. / ... / Good Night Christianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tips On Getting A Good Night’s Rest by SYLVESTER777: 4:46pm On Mar 11, 2017
It can be difficult to determine if someone is actually awake by mere surface appearances. Many people can take a catnap with their eyes wide open and not even know it!

Did you know that the first recorded instance of sleep in history is when God “anesthetized” Adam? Actually, it was a very creative sleep: When Adam awoke he was refreshed, revived … and married! A whole-new life and, ultimately, the future of humanity can be traced back to that first nap.

Sleep is much more than a passive experience for your body. Although we might be resting, our body is engaged in another type of activity, a process that will bring restoration to frazzled organs, nerves, and body tissues. Sleep is a rejuvenating cycle we all need. Sleep deprivation can actually be damaging to our bodies and minds. For instance, a lack of sleep impairs our immune system.

One of the longest documented records for a human going without sleep, without using stimulants, is held by Randy Gardner. In 1964, the 17-year-old student stayed awake for 264 hours. (That’s 11 days!) Randy reported hallucinations, nausea, paranoia, blurred vision, slurred speech, and memory and concentration lapses. Interestingly, even missing one hour of sleep has been shown to increase the likelihood of a traffic accident by eight percent.

There are lots of tips on getting a good night’s rest. Here are just a few: First, wake up with the sun. Sunlight helps to increase levels of alertness, enhancing hormones such as serotonin. Next, eat a balanced diet rich in plant-based complex carbohydrates and tryptophan, which is a building block for hormones like melatonin. Make sure to find time for moderate exercise each day, and avoid sleep-depriving substances like alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine.

But one of the greatest roadblocks to good sleep is worry. Studies show that emotional stress can cause poor-quality sleep. According to Proverbs 3, when we seek God’s wisdom and knowledge, our lives will be more relaxed. We are not driven by fear or worry. We will discover that seeking to obey the Lord puts our minds at rest and will actually enhance our sleep. Yes, embracing faith in God like a little child is one of the wisest things you can do to rest easier.

Dear Jesus, tonight as I lay down to sleep, I choose to trust my life with you. I place all my worries into your compassionate hands and will rest in your care.

Additional reading: Proverbs 3:19–35

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid: yea, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24

(1) (Reply)

How Is The Christian Religion Different From All The Other World Religions? / Apostle Johnson Suleiman And The Wolves (part 1) / 15 Kind Of Friend I Pray You Meet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.