Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,595 members, 7,809,155 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:44 AM

Do I Look Nigerian? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do I Look Nigerian? (6513 Views)

Which Tribe Or African Country Do I Look Like I Belong To? / What Tribe I Look Like Im From In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Nobody: 5:42am On Mar 17, 2017
QueenAfrica36:

Thank you, that makes me very happy! smiley
If I am not Igbo on my moms side, I think I will definitely be on my fathers side. He resembled Olu Jacobs and one other Nollywood actor, I just cant think of his name at the moment.
Olu jacobs is yoruba though.

Concerning your looks. one can't really tell. All i know is you look west African just like any other black american or islander. You could pass easily for a girl in a lighter skinned west african country e.g sierra leone, liberia, Ivory coast, Togo, Benin republic, cameroun or Nigeria. If Nigeria, you could be easily mistaken for any of the tribes...i.e hausa, igbo, yoruba, benin, idoma e.t.c A lot of people think i am igbo, but i am actually 100% yoruba. Sometimes hard to tell the difference.

1 Like

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Amoto94(m): 12:34pm On Mar 18, 2017
You look like an Angolan
Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Apr 24, 2017
I got some of my results back, my direct maternal lineage is from Guinea-Bissau. I'm doing my fathers next, and my admixture test.

3 Likes

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by BabaRamota1980: 6:49am On Apr 25, 2017
QueenAfrica36:
I got some of my results back, my direct maternal lineage is from Guinea-Bissau. I'm doing my fathers next, and my admixture test.

Congrats!

Im seeing your thread for first time and an opportunity to give input.

Im sincerely proud of you taking the step to probe your ancestry and connect. Each black American of course has a drop of African in them. America has succeeded as an economic giant but failed woefully in preserving cultural and spiritual values for its citizens. Humans are emotional beings and we survive and preserve through cultural identities, rituals and traditions. These aspects of the socio cultural living is very inadequate and Americans look elsewhere to fill the void.

For Americans rooted in the black consciousness Africa is seen as the answer to learn and catch up on culture and tradition. The image you have of Africa is a romanticized one. You cannot just jump into Africa, you need a guide to hold your hands and help you navigate through the many conflicting realities you will encounter.

You have started well by probing your roots through a scientifically acceptable method.

Let me add also that you can begin a stage of cleansing. That is, create a home shrine that you can use to adulate your ancestors. Invite them to lead the path on this journey and guide your steps.

Dont fall for the pull push in Nairaland, people trying to claim ownership over you and force you into a path not necessarily in your interest. You hear some of them already stereotyping and placing you based on your skin tone. Their brains were engineered by whites in social experiments to see black skin as deplorable. So they say you are light and you therefore belong in their tribe....if you were darker they will reject you. They are what in US you call fvked up freaks! grin
Ignore them!

Let us know result of your father's when you get it. Wherever it places you, there are socio cultural groups for that tribe in US you can meet with them as a start of the long journey.

If i can add more value to your quest let me know.

1 Like

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Michael752: 10:37pm On May 27, 2017
QueenAfrica36:

Interesting. Let us know your other results once you've got them.
Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jun 13, 2017
So as y'all can see I'm all mixed up grin so what I'm gonna do is some math and come up with my averages. But each website has different DNA analysis and they all confirmed what I felt in my heart! I feel Nigerian somewhere in my soul and there you have it!

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Amoto94(m): 2:45pm On Jun 13, 2017
QueenAfrica36:
So as y'all can see I'm all mixed up grin so what I'm gonna do is some math and come up with my averages. But each website has different DNA analysis and they all confirmed what I felt in my heart! I feel Nigerian somewhere in my soul and there you have it!
Good
Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Nobody: 2:31am On May 23, 2018
Testing
Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by BabaRamota1980: 4:17am On May 23, 2018
Testing

Ive known all along that you were my sister...first time i set eyez on you.

My knowledge is now confirmed with this dna chart. I will share some pointers with you.

1. You dna says you have Sierra Leone ancestry. It went further to say you have Nigerian ancestry.

The combination of Nigeria+SierraLeone will 98% position you in Yoruba.

Here is why...

Sierra Leone was a new settlement carved out of old West African Empires. Its purpose was for resettlement of slave returnees from cargoes at sea and as well those who have mutinied against their slave masters in Americas and secured independent territories. Their goal has always been to free themselves and depart from the slave plantations they were sold to. The abolishionists were able to rescue or assist many of them to return to Africa. Almost all of these were in Latin Americas and identified to be Yorubas.

Why Yorubas?

Yorubas had always been engaged in slave trade but it was taboo to trade a Yoruba...they sold non-Yorubas, part of which was recorded in history as grievance when the people of the deserts complained that Yoruba was selling muslim faithfuls to the slave merchants.

Then a civil war amongst the Yoruba sister-nations erupted. It was a war of supremacy. Yoruba broke the taboo and started trading war captives as slaves. While that was going on...a mutiny also occurred when a war commander broke loyalty with Oyo Empire and waged a coup against his Emperor, the Alaafin. This escalated the war amongst Yoruba camps and increased population of prisoners of war, they ended up as cargoes to the Americas.

When the British abolitionists secured access and right of way in native lands they intervened to broker peace. This stopped the human cargoes.

The Yorubas that had recently been shipped out of the harbours were cargoes Abolitionists intercepted at sea and rwscued for resettlement in Sierra Leone.

The ones that mutinied and secured self rule in Latin America were the earlier sets...they were warriors steeped in acts of warfare and demolition. That explains their successfull self-liberation from clutches of their plantation masters. They were liberated but had no freedom to depart back home. They were Yorubas of the interior, they were skilled fighters on land but were not sailors and therefore lacked navigational skills over the Ocean. They were trapped offshore. They were liberated but no freedom. They were rescued by ships of the Abolitionists.

So the soldiers of mutiny and the cargoes at sea were both settled at Sierra Leone. One or both of your ancestors was in that group...according to your dna result.

They were in the same generation, first generation...but at most two generations from their removal from Yorubaland so history and identity was still fresh and they were able to recall their homelands in Yoruba territories. Most still spoke Yoruba. Till today, Yoruba language is a dialect in Sierra Leone. The pioneer institutions and social order of Sierra Leone was modeled after Yoruba order....spiced with foreign influence in mixture with those brought in from Latin America and the Abolitionists themselves.

Many of them, after peace returned to Yoruba interior returned home from Sierra Leone and resettled back into their native communities.

So how did your ancestor end up in America if dna picks over 10% of your marker in Sierra Leone?
Some of the Sierra Leone settlers had been so deeply traumatized by their experience that return to Yorubaland was unthinkable. They ventured on trade and exploration outward into the worlds. By this time, around 1890 onward. Some ended up in Europe. Some went with trade merchants to America. Slavery in America had also ended muvh earlier than 1890 but pockets of racism and discrimination continued up untill late 1960s. The civil rights acts of 64 was the beginning of incremental corrections. Actual social redress took foothold when the affirmative action was mandated.

So on your end you should go in family archives and try to establish when your ancestor entered US. This will give you idea at about the time they left Sierra Leone. If you can link back and find the name he registered on entry into America you probably should be able to connect with your blood in Yoruba.

Your ancestor would most likely have had an European name or a Latin name on his entry into US.

Williams, Smith, Coker, Pedro, Ferreira, Salvador, Willoughby, Brown, James, Soares, Taylor, Fowler, Thomas, Savage, Fernandez...and so on.

1 Like

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jul 26, 2020

1 Like

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Oluwapomile1: 11:48am On Jul 27, 2020
merahki:
@oluwapomile1
Oluwapomile1
It’s your friend/sis on BB (you asked me a question there)
This is my regular
If you see this and know who this is, like it or reply below without saying my other name
So I can delete
I do not want BB mentions on this
kiss

I know who. You are my only friend/sis here kiss. What happened to other account?

Just seeing this dear

Edit: I know what I asked now. Lol. Kachifoo

1 Like

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jul 27, 2020
That is just for BB
So talk there till after the show
See you on the other side
So delete all now

1 Like

Re: Do I Look Nigerian? by Oluwapomile1: 11:40pm On Jul 27, 2020
merahki:
That is just for BB
So talk there till after the show
See you on the other side
So delete all now

Ok. I don't know why I see things late. Phew!

(1) (2) (Reply)

The True Black Hawk Down Documentary / Is An Elder Always Right? / Palace Chiefs Sighted On The Streets Of Ife As Ooni's Burial Rites Begins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.