Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,799 members, 7,844,585 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance (1341 Views)

Blind Hatred Towards Igbos Is The Real Reason Nigeria Is Not Working / Nigeria May Go The Way Of Rwanda, Congo DR, Says Ezekwesili / Ngozi Okonjo Iweala Reveal True Reason Nigeria In Recession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance by Bamibor: 7:52pm On Mar 12, 2017
I have observed with pained silence and patriotic chagrin, as many individuals and groups have contnued to 'throw parties' and hold 'pro-Buhari rallies' supposedly to celebrate the safe return of our President.

Before I continue, let me point out that I am neither a member of the opposition nor do I have any personal grudges against the person of P. M. B. I am, if there be any need for a tag, simply 'pro-Nigeria'.

Back to my point, I want to ask every Nigerian that still have full control over their political and nationalistic thinking faculties to sincerely consider how the recovery of a sick public official (as grateful as we should ofcourse be) should become an issue of political propaganda, almost being touted as an administration's achievement.

Discountenancing the fact that the treatment had to be 'imported', many of us have unabashedly taken to the streets (including the streets of social media), to participate in rallies to celebrate 'the greatest achievement of this administration so far' -the recovery of our president.

Indeed, when a people have become so accustomed to failure an ineptitude, mediocrity becomes celebrated.

That is presently our case in Nigeria.

If anything, the return of the president should provoke a sober reflection on our sorry state, as a country where ear infection and routine check-up is too big an ask for our medical professionals.

If as a nation we are to take off and join the track with those moving towards development, if we are to have any chance of ever genuinely rubbing shoullders with other developed countries, then we must as a matter critical necessity, begin to tell ourselves the truth -we must cease to celebrate mediocrity and demand responsibility from our leaders.

We must know when to give praise and when to simply acknowledge that elected officials are doing what they were elected for.

Nigeria cannot continue celebrating mediocrity else we may never truly realize our potential.

@Emmanuel Iremise

@ Mynd44 OAM4J kindly make this visible

2 Likes

Re: One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance by ayesco202(m): 7:56pm On Mar 12, 2017
Ododo oro..

1 Like

Re: One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance by FitnessDoctor: 7:58pm On Mar 12, 2017
So what is the essence of your post... Are you just to stir up a movement for the redirection of the Nigerian motive.... or are you just voicing out what we already know but are too lazy to change

Bamibor:

2 Likes

Re: One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance by ImadeUReadThis: 8:02pm On Mar 12, 2017
Nigerians are ruled by idiots

Re: One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance by ImadeUReadThis: 8:08pm On Mar 12, 2017
OP, the zombies that are jumping upandan are like fans of a shit-tier club who just won a relegation match keeping them in the division.

The ab0kis up north are satisfied that Buhari came back so that they can still remain in the corridors of power.

These dead weights from up north are just interested in being in power without knowing what to do with it which reminds me of the saying that "money and power in the wrong hands is dangerous".

1 Like

Re: One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance by Bamibor: 8:11pm On Mar 12, 2017
FitnessDoctor:
So what is the essence of your post... Are you just to stir up a movement for the redirection of the Nigerian motive.... or are you just voicing out what we already know but are too lazy to change

Bamibor:
True to your latter assertion, many of us or perhaps I should say some of us can often discern the truth but ever so often, allow the veils of religious, ethnic, or political sentiments and bigotry to cloud our judgements, and we indirectly help the irresposible leaders to keep our nation in limbo...what we need is to be truthful to ourselves and to publicly own up to the truth

1 Like

Re: One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance by ImadeUReadThis: 8:13pm On Mar 12, 2017
Bamibor:

True to your latter assertion, many of us or perhaps I should say some of us can often discern the truth but ever so often, allow the veils of religious, ethnic, or political sentiments and bigotry to cloud our judgements, and we indirectly help the irresposible leaders to keep our nation in limbo...what we need is to be truthful to ourselves and to publicly own up to the truth

The truth will kill these zombies that's why they avoid it like vampires avoid bright sunlight.

1 Like

Re: One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance by Bamibor: 8:18pm On Mar 12, 2017
ImadeUReadThis:

The truth will kill these zombies that's why they avoid it like vampires avoid bright sunlight.

Anyone who is averse to truth, is signing up for bondage and slavery (in our case, political, intellectual, economic, religious (etc.) bondage)...After all the Holy writ says "It is the truth that sets free".

1 Like

Re: One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance by FitnessDoctor: 8:20pm On Mar 12, 2017
Bamibor:

Bamibor... my question in no way got answered... You circled around it.. The question goes... What are you trying to do with this post? Are you trying to create or encourage the creation of a movement... or are you just telling us in your own way the same thing we already know but are too lazy to change?
Re: One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance by Bamibor: 8:27pm On Mar 12, 2017
FitnessDoctor:

Bamibor... my question in no way got answered... You circled around it.. The question goes... What are you trying to do with this post? Are you trying to create or encourage the creation of a movement... or are you just telling us in your own way the same thing we already know but are too lazy to change?

I did attempt to answer your question. Perhaps it's an issue of how I comprehended it.
My assumption is that by "the same thing we already know", you mean the truth about how we are often excusing and even celebrating the mediocrity that is rife in successive political administrations. If that is correct, I will say for those who know this truth, this is a wake up call to live it and for those whose eyes are yet to be open to it, it's a pointer which I hope will enable them do an inward search.

As a side comment, I like the analytical frame of your questions.
Re: One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance by ImadeUReadThis: 8:28pm On Mar 12, 2017
Bamibor:

Anyone who is averse to truth, is signing up for bondage and slavery (in our case, political, intellectual, economic, religious (etc.) bondage)...After all the Holy writ says "It is the truth that sets free".

"The system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it"

- Morpheus
Re: One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance by Bamibor: 8:35pm On Mar 12, 2017
ImadeUReadThis:

"The system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it"

- Morpheus

Hmm! I'm not conversant with this quote, still trying to internalize the thoughts of the author vis a vis our own polity in Nigeria
Re: One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance by ImadeUReadThis: 8:37pm On Mar 12, 2017
Bamibor:

Hmm! I'm not conversant with this quote, still trying to internalize the thoughts of the author vis a vis our own polity in Nigeria

The matrix of lies that keep Nigerians enslaved to Nigeria

1 Like

Re: One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance by Bamibor: 8:42pm On Mar 12, 2017
ImadeUReadThis:

The matrix of lies that keep Nigerians enslaved to Nigeria

Truly the lies we try to choke ourselves with even when truth stares us in the face, those have been our greatest bane as a nation...

1 Like

Re: One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance by ImadeUReadThis: 8:49pm On Mar 12, 2017
Bamibor:

Truly the lies we try to choke ourselves with even when truth stares us in the face, those have been our greatest bane as a nation...
Denial is a Nijeriyan

The human mind has a primitive ego defense mechanism that negates all realities that produce too much stress for the brain to handle. It’s called Denial.

For eons mankind evolved and stumbled around in the midst of great catastrophic disasters and were once considered staple food for predators.

We survived the ice age not because we were able to adapt physically or develop necessary skills to cope with the great shift in climate but because our brains blocked off existential and impending doom ahead of us. Rather than focus on the daunting task ahead we chose daily chores and tasks from finding shelter, food and whatnot. We essentially survived because we played the ostrich and carried on as if there was no problem. This is one of the only benefits to which self denial can grant the human existence.

Keep Calm & Carry On

Mankind has always found denial as a necessary defense mechanism in dealing with Armageddon. We keep postponing the date and with that we have grown more arrogant. With arrogance comes pride and with pride comes a great fall.

Denial is thus a critical part of the human coping mechanism. A sort of bio delay switch that keeps us from flicking the suicide button.

I will thus define denial as the degree of optimism.

While it is good to have an optimistic view on life it will be foolhardy to negate reality and facts to the foreground in dealing with a challenge.

Nigerians are by far the most optimistic people. They have no choice on this. It is either they keep on hoping and denying the daunting challenges they face daily or they end up going mad.

We have all read the Stats that states that well over 40% of Lagosians face one form of mental disorder. If it were not for denial in the form of hope we can rightly predict the chances of majority of Lagosians will be roaming the streets outright mad.

Bearing this in mind, we see Nigerians still hoping and denying the realities on ground.

They deny the ongoing islamization agenda even in the midst of a jihadist campaign raging in the north east. They are quick to accept the official narrative from the buhari govt that the ongoing genocide by fulani herdsmen is the handwork of Libyans.

This is inspite of all solid facts ,evidence and historical antecedents that proves that there is indeed a northern islamization agenda.

Foolishly they still deny reality.
Your average Nijeriyan is no different than a wildebeest herd.

Constantly harassed by larger Predators day and night, the herbivores of the Serengeti have always appeared to live a terrorised life when viewed from a human perspective. But contrary to how we humans see the large games of the savanah, the harassment they constantly face from hyenas and lions are more of a nuisance to them as their primary concern is to find suitable grazing fields and get down to the business of procreation.

This is God's grand design for animals of prey. They exist in constant denial of the threats that loom beyond the tall golden grass. Without that denial, the wildebeest will probably not bother grazing talk more of procreating.

I see a lot of self induced myopia instigated by a mind in denial among Nijeriyans especially among those who I expect to know better. For some reason the threat is so overwhelming that the simply wish it away and where it appears inevitable they resort to hope as a final solace. "It can't happen to me and my family"; "It is not our portion". These are what herded or animals in a group, flock or school of fish rely on as a last defence mechanism. The strength of numbers and the sacrifice of those in the outer realms of the herd gives the members solace.

So in so many ways, those who refuse to see the reality are those who are in denial of the threat and who arrogate a sense of immunity from the same threat on the very hope that some others will have to be sacrificed for them to live.

This is the life of a rat and not a man.
Re: One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance by Bamibor: 9:13pm On Mar 12, 2017
ImadeUReadThis:

Denial is a Nijeriyan

The human mind has a primitive ego defense mechanism that negates all realities that produce too much stress for the brain to handle. It’s called Denial.

For eons mankind evolved and stumbled around in the midst of great catastrophic disasters and were once considered staple food for predators.

We survived the ice age not because we were able to adapt physically or develop necessary skills to cope with the great shift in climate but because our brains blocked off existential and impending doom ahead of us. Rather than focus on the daunting task ahead we chose daily chores and tasks from finding shelter, food and whatnot. We essentially survived because we played the ostrich and carried on as if there was no problem. This is one of the only benefits to which self denial can grant the human existence.

Keep Calm & Carry On

Mankind has always found denial as a necessary defense mechanism in dealing with Armageddon. We keep postponing the date and with that we have grown more arrogant. With arrogance comes pride and with pride comes a great fall.

Denial is thus a critical part of the human coping mechanism. A sort of bio delay switch that keeps us from flicking the suicide button.

I will thus define denial as the degree of optimism.

While it is good to have an optimistic view on life it will be foolhardy to negate reality and facts to the foreground in dealing with a challenge.

Nigerians are by far the most optimistic people. They have no choice on this. It is either they keep on hoping and denying the daunting challenges they face daily or they end up going mad.

We have all read the Stats that states that well over 40% of Lagosians face one form of mental disorder. If it were not for denial in the form of hope we can rightly predict the chances of majority of Lagosians will be roaming the streets outright mad.

Bearing this in mind, we see Nigerians still hoping and denying the realities on ground.

They deny the ongoing islamization agenda even in the midst of a jihadist campaign raging in the north east. They are quick to accept the official narrative from the buhari govt that the ongoing genocide by fulani herdsmen is the handwork of Libyans.

This is inspite of all solid facts ,evidence and historical antecedents that proves that there is indeed a northern islamization agenda.

Foolishly they still deny reality.
Your average Nijeriyan is no different than a wildebeest herd.

Constantly harassed by larger Predators day and night, the herbivores of the Serengeti have always appeared to live a terrorised life when viewed from a human perspective. But contrary to how we humans see the large games of the savanah, the harassment they constantly face from hyenas and lions are more of a nuisance to them as their primary concern is to find suitable grazing fields and get down to the business of procreation.

This is God's grand design for animals of prey. They exist in constant denial of the threats that loom beyond the tall golden grass. Without that denial, the wildebeest will probably not bother grazing talk more of procreating.

I see a lot of self induced myopia instigated by a mind in denial among Nijeriyans especially among those who I expect to know better. For some reason the threat is so overwhelming that the simply wish it away and where it appears inevitable they resort to hope as a final solace. "It can't happen to me and my family"; "It is not our portion". These are what herded or animals in a group, flock or school of fish rely on as a last defence mechanism. The strength of numbers and the sacrifice of those in the outer realms of the herd gives the members solace.

So in so many ways, those who refuse to see the reality are those who are in denial of the threat and who arrogate a sense of immunity from the same threat on the very hope that some others will have to be sacrificed for them to live.

This is the life of a rat and not a man.

Wow! At first glance, it felt like a daunting task to have to read through this post of yours but having now gone through, I'm thankful I did. You couldn't have painted the Nigerian (or to borrow your word, Nijeriyan) idealogy any better. Although I believe there are yet some who have not gotten so lost in this 'denial complex'. We can't continue to hide our heads in the sand with Ostritch-like foolhardiness, now is the time for everyone of us to accept and confront the truths that stare us in the face.

1 Like

Re: One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance by Bamibor: 3:07pm On Feb 05, 2018
Considering the political and ideological drama that is currently playing out in the country, it appears many Nigerians are finally waking up to the truth about the deplorable state of leadership and the lack of direction in governance across board.

I only hope we can muster the necessary collective will to start off in a new direction and rescue our country from the precipice of catastrophe.
Re: One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance by Nobody: 3:37pm On Feb 05, 2018
Bamibor:
Considering the political and ideological drama that is currently playing out in the country, it appears many Nigerians are finally waking up to the truth about the deplorable state of leadership and the lack of direction in governance across board.

I only hope we can muster the necessary collective will to start off in a new direction and rescue our country from the precipice of catastrophe.

We can only do that through the polls. But there is an ominous activity going on right now under the full view of INEC. Massive registration of northerners, the count is frightening.
Re: One Reason Nigeria May Never Advance by Bamibor: 10:54am On Feb 06, 2018
efesodje:

We can only do that through the polls. But there is an ominous activity going on right now under the full view of INEC. Massive registration of northerners, the count is frightening.

Indeed the coming elections have the potential to decide the fate of our country on many different levels.
As for the ominous activity you referred to, do you mean they're registering underage voters or that there's a massive mobilization of eligible voters for the registration?

(1) (Reply)

FBI Declares Nigerian Wanted Over $5million Scam / Meet A Nigerian Man Who Trekked From Aba To Umuahia To See Nnamdi Kanu (photos) / My Family Not From Benin, Says Musiliu Obanikoro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.