Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,458 members, 7,819,669 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

Damaged By The System - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Damaged By The System (565 Views)

Damaged Butterfly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Damaged By The System by richcode101(m): 3:43pm On Mar 13, 2017
Mary was just 14 when she lost her father. After his funeral,her uncle offered to take her to live with him in the city, a request that was met with mixed feeling,she was confronted with the first big decision of her life.
As she lay down that night drowned in tears,sleep eluded her,she thought of her late dad,her grieving mom and the prospect of a new life in the city. She was so deep in thoughts that she didn't notice her mum walk in, she had come to discuss her uncle's proposal, she cleared her throat and the words rang out "Nne,it think you should go with him,do you know he even offered to send you to school?.... " but., her mom cuts in....."nne no buts,you know your father is no more and I don't have enough money to sustain us... That did the trick, her mum hugged her and left.
Sudden feelings of rejection and dejection engulfed her soul,she was shocked on how her mum could sever their ties so easily.
Mary! Marry!!Mary!!!! ,her mother's call awoke her to the realities of the new day. it was her first sunrise without her father and she is already bundled off to the city. "Yes ma" her voice thundered back a confirmation of her acceptance of her new fate.
She glanced at her table clock, the last birthday present she got from her dad, it was 5:30 am and the bus leaves by 6:00am, she dashed for the bathroom, hurriedly dressed up and came out to the sitting room to indicate her readiness for the trip.

Her mother held her tight and an intense emotional atmosphere ensured, as her mum let go, she muttered her final goodbye while wiping of tears with the edge of her gown, the beginning of her misery....

Mary get up, we re in lagos already!!!!, her uncle's voice awoke her from her deep sleep. She looked around and was immediately confronted with a different atmosphere from what she use to know in Onitsha. Tall buildings, yellow buses and an army of people on the move aroused her curiosity.
Berger deyy? the driver's voice rang from the front and her uncle thundered back berger owa oooo!!!!!.... ,I get load for booth oo her uncle roared again,she was at lost on why everyone was screaming.
Her uncle hailed a cab and after series of negotiations,they were home bound. After about 5mins,the cab pulled up in front of a black gate with "OMOLE PHASE 11" inscribed on it,a smartly dressed security man stepped out for routine checks after which he waved them on. She let out a smile as saw her cousins eagerly waiting their arrival,her first smile since her dad's demise.
Mirabel and Mario were her favorite cousins a feeling reciprocated by the twins. Each time they visited the village,they always brought cookies and chocolates for her, in turn she ensures they have adequate supply palm kernel nuts, how they always sat under the big 'udara' tree listening to tales from her dad." what are you still standing there for?"her uncle's wife yelled at her,

'Good afternoon aunty',a greeting replied with a cold stare,"take your bag to the room and join me in the kitchen" she mumbled as she walked back into the house. Rumour had it that her uncle' wife once beat her maid to unconsciousness for spilling water on the rug.
"What took you so long? You think this is your father's house? Better behave yourself or I will deal with you",her uncle's wife barked as she walked into the kitchen , 'am sorry ma,I was tired so I took a short rest' she responded with tears in her eyes,', hand that bowl over to me she cuts her off ...
After dinner,while she was doing the dishes,her uncle walked into the kitchen with a broad smile on his face, 'nne ji si ike' he hailed her, thank you uncle she replied with a shy smile, 'Emmm tomorrow your aunty would take you to school for your entrance exams', thank you sir she screamed in wild jubilation. Immediately she was done,she ran off to her room in high spirit,she couldn't wait to start school after tales of the beauty of city schools the twins filled her in on. As she lay on her bed she thought of her mum,tears rolled down her cheeks..
The new day was ushered in with a heavy downpour,she hurried down to the kitchen to help with breakfast and to her utmost surprised no one was up already, she glanced at the big wall clock in the kitchen,it was 4:00am. How can they be in bed by this time she wondered,usually in the village by this time,people were already up and lost in chores.
With a deep sigh,she proceeds to boil water for bathing which was met with yet another obstacle,turning the cooker on. She just kept turning the knobs frantically while swearing,so engrossed that she didn't notice her uncle's wife walk in,suddenly she was awoken to reality with a resounding slap, ewo!!!! She exclaimed,"so you want to burn down this house abi? How many did your miserable father build? Just get out of my sight witch"..her aunty thundered. Slowly she walked back to her room with a heavy heart,'what have I done to this woman? Why does she keep insulting my dad?' these questions and more ran through her mind as she slid into the bathroom.

The drive to school was quite a long one,the were confronted with a snail pace traffic jam,the twins tried to play with her but she was having none of that. They got to gate with signpost that read "great mind private school". The school stood in a exquisitely decorated compound and suddenly she had began to find her smiles again,she imagined what the classroom would look like,if they have enough playground and a host of other silly thoughts. Her Aunty's voice awoke her to reality "Mirabel and Mario get down,Mary wait for me in the car",with that all her hopes were dashed. Her aunty took the kids beyond the gates and bade them farewell before returning to the car. Back in the car,she was at loss as to why she wasn't allowed to attend the same school with her cousins.
Immediately the car pulled up to the gates of her school,she felt discriminated,. The gates were rickety,fences were damaged,the buildings itself dilapidated,the very opposite of her cousin's. As they made their way to the principal's office,stench of urine filled her nose,finally the got to an office where a scarcely dressed man introduced himself as the principal. After all formalities was duly observed, she was taken to the exam hall,given a question and answer booklet,the beginning of her woes. She stared at the questions in total confusion. After about an hour of confused pondering,she signalled to the invigilator, "auntie I don't understand anything here oo",the visibly irritated woman barked at her "then submit and save our precious time". Her legs trembled as she walked back to the principal's office, 'you are done already' he exclaimed in surprise,'have a seat your result would be out soon'. Five minutes later the invigilator walked with her blank script,waving it at the principal she said 'sir this one na proper olodo oo',they all bursted into laughter, she joined the laughter unaware of the meaning of olodo. A hard knock from her aunty put her in check, 'idiot you are laughing abi? See how you have disgraced your family,the only thing you know is to sleep and eat". The principal interrupted 'we can only admit her into jss 1',there was a brief silence before the aunty gave her consent. She sat there helpless as her life crashed before her eyes. ......

Subsequently in school, she was made jest of and even earned herself a nick name 'mama', a name derived from the fact that she was too old for her class. The years rolled by as she came to harsh realities of life.
Life at her uncles' was pretty unbearable all thanks to her uncle's wife, the only days she had peace was on Sundays,because it was mainly spent in the church and she was in the choir. The only place she got compliments because angelic voice laden with emotions.

Two days to her sixteenth birthday,she went to church for choir rehearsal after which the pastor requested she she stayed back for birthday prayers. She couldn't help but admire the pastor's taste for class and luxury,she sat on one of his sofas as her eyes scouted the office, 'oh this is heaven' she exclaimed. Few minutes later the pastor walked in, 'Good evening sir ' she stood as she greeted as a mark of respect, 'how are you sister Mary?' he queried in an unusual tone,' fine sir' she answered with a smile, 'wow! you look beautiful with that smile' he blurted as he sat beside her, she blushed but felt uneasy. 'Come and sit on my lap' 'but sir' she protested, 'shut up are you trying to question a man of God' 'no sir', as she made to go sit on his lap, before you could say jack, he was all over her, kissing,smooching and undressing her. Fear griped her soul,she tried to break free but was doubly overpowered,as he penetrated her she cried out in pain.

She has been robbed of her virginity in the house of the lord, the pastor made her swear not to tell else she would be struck dead. Her life played out before as she walked home. who has she offended? Why is life cruel at her? She is just sixteen and already gone through a lifetime of shit, she despised herself that moment. Luckily no one noticed her walk in because they were all engrossed with big brother Africa TV show,she headed straight to the bathroom and scrubbed till she felt her skin peel off, she felt like dying,she wanted to cry but the tears were not forthcoming, she headed straight to her bed,slept off with hope of never waking up.

Two months had gone by since her ordeal with the pastor, she was making breakfast when she suddenly started throwing up in a manner that awakened her aunt's curiosity. Later that morning on their way to school she asked her some unusual questions after which she decided they were going to the hospital for a test. She wanted to tell it all but was scared of her aunt's reaction. They were asked to return for results the later in the day day after her blood sample and urine were collected. she felt terrified and lonely, she couldn't figure out why the world was so cold to her.

Mary!,mary!!, he aunty screamed, 'you evil child, so this is why you came to Lagos abi!,I blame your useless mother for not training you properly'. Mary was still at loss as to what prompted the evening drama when her aunt descended on her and beat her to pulp.
'Who is responsible?', 'responsible for what aunty' she asked,' 'oh you re asking me don't worry when am done with you today, you would know'. Her uncle quickly rushed down when he heard mary cry for help and held his wife, 'what has come over you,do you want to kill her?' Panting, she waved Mary's lab result, "this LovePeddler you call your niece is pregnant". His heart sunk and slowly he turned around facing Mary 'who is responsible for this?', visibly shaken she answered 'pastor john'. 'How dare you accuse a man of God? You are evil, get inside right now,get your things and leave' he managed to say after few moments of silence. She went inside picked her bag and left,as she crossed the gate,she turned around to take one final look at where she knew as home. ***the end***
p.s

Presently mary is 19 and a prostitute at Allen round about ,she has a son to cater for and bills to pay. No ego, no love, no pride,no honor. We pass her everyday, you call her lazy,short sighted and greedy, I call her the victim of a failed system(family,education,religion,government). This is the life of another girl damaged by the system
Re: Damaged By The System by Divepen1(m): 5:32pm On Mar 13, 2017
making sense..
Quote the dialogues.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Scars Don’t Make Us Beautiful, They Mar Us. / It Is Better To Remain Silent At The Risk Of Being Thought A Fool / UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES- A Short Story By Avatarmode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.