Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,474 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

UBA Bank Downsizes - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / UBA Bank Downsizes (7731 Views)

Bizzare: Intercontinental Bank Downsizes Again / Zenith Bank Downsizes - 600+ Employees Sacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by princekevo(m): 7:51am On Dec 20, 2009
@ mCrackers
Dont be silly. . . This is not a case of use and dump
It is has become imperative to save the business and a larger workforce by restructuring the operations and trimming the workforce
It happens everywhere in the world. . . . . All you have to do is to wish the people affected all the best. . . And whoever is due some severance package should get it on time, simple!!

No one is disputing the fact that it happens every where in the world, but tht word downsizing of workforce in Nigeria we know is mostly not realistic. First, we have to critically examine their reason for the sudden layoff  of bankers within 1 month, if actually for the sake of cutting cost or are they being made an escaped goat for the crime of the big shots. We are not ignorant of what is happening in our banking sector at the moment, and we all saw the reasons other banks gave for laying off 1500 workers each bank. The poster wasnt comprehensive enough to elaborate the reaons for this particular layoff.
And dont forget that in those other part of the word you mentioned they got some labour laws that protects the rights of every labourer. In a situation like this, the layoffs is accompanied by incentives and benefits. So what the reasons might be in a country Where there is no effective labour law that protects the right of the workers i think i used the right word use and dump. So if you think otherwise that is your own perception and individual way of reasoning.
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by banqkool: 8:40am On Dec 20, 2009
halfcurren:

@I never liked anything about UBA from the onset. . . . . Everything about 'em is just so detestable

, me too. i have never liked that bank for anything!!!

the bank is just too waked for moi liking,
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by jaguar09(m): 9:04am On Dec 20, 2009
i hope the banks will now learn to employ qualified and capable hand instead of their usual man know man way of employment. see what quakes has done.
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by Nobody: 9:19am On Dec 20, 2009
Would sum1 help me enlighten those talkin of global meltdown dat dis has nuttin to do with it, even if a thousand banks were closed down in the USA and a thousand more lost their jobs not one of dem had an issue based purely on giving out none performing loans and management decision to favour themselves, whrs d global crisis here wen jimoh ibrahim paid N30b in one day, does it sound like 30naira to u and dangote n some other businessmen who dnt get loans to buy cars and houses keep payin billions daily, correct me if im wrong but i m sure dis moves r more politically motivated than otherwise, and wen 2 elephants fyt its d grass that suffers, that is wat we shld get into our heads rather than talkin bout some global rubbish, wait 4 xmas n c if d big boiz wnt spend more than dey ever spent b4 then u come t tell me there's one rubbish financial crisis.
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by Austin234(m): 4:57pm On Dec 20, 2009
Sad news again. I hope Bank captains are watching
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by NVME1: 5:06pm On Dec 20, 2009
Y'all should stop blaming Sanusi for the problems in the banking industry, the number one culprit is SOLUDO whom has been feeding fat from all the bank inadequacies
Am sure y'all would like to see whats on the link below, shocked

http://www.saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1292:chukwuma-soludo-is-living-large-234nextcom&catid=42:exclusive&Itemid=160
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by whatalife: 8:06pm On Dec 20, 2009
Circumstances are the rulers of the weak,but they are instruments of the wise.
You have lost your job right?wake up the inner man in you and with God on your side success is yours in Jesus name
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by tennis: 8:14pm On Dec 20, 2009
Hey you could come work for us. Sell about a million SMS this Christmas in your church, area, and wherever else you know people. That will make a nice income. Cos they can send N3 from their phone. We taking the market.

Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by No2Atheism(m): 3:52am On Dec 21, 2009
If Intercontinental Bank . . .had problems enough to result in them sacking 1500 and UBA has problem enough to make them sack 2000, does that not mean that there is something very wrong with UBA's financial books . . .
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by meetmua: 5:22am On Dec 21, 2009
The Information Age will not tolerate anyone who would consider being an employee alone in order to meet up with the present trend!
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by princekevo(m): 6:11am On Dec 21, 2009
No2Atheism:

If Intercontinental Bank . . .hard problems enough to sack 1500 and UBA has problem enough to sack 2000, does that not mean that there is something very wrong with UBA books . .
The same question i wanted to ask. That is question many of us here chide away from, rather pointing accusing fingers here and there. I thought this same UBA was among the banks certified healthy few months ago. How come they are suddenly starts laying off workers jst like other failed banks?
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by Remii(m): 8:01am On Dec 21, 2009
princekevo:

The same question i wanted to ask. That is question many of us here chide away from, rather pointing accusing fingers here and there. I thought this same UBA was among the banks certified healthy few months ago. How come they are suddenly starts laying off workers jst like other failed banks?

The fact is that all of them have failed but some have terribly failed more than others, QED.
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by otukpo(f): 8:24am On Dec 21, 2009
No2Atheism:

If Intercontinental Bank . . .had problems enough to result in them sacking 1500 and UBA has problem enough to make them sack 2000, does that not mean that there is something very wrong with UBA's financial books . . .

It is called control measure.

Even though i never liked UBA, they don't have to wait to be empty like Intercontinental b4 they start doing something to recover.

Most banks were affected due to unhealthy competition among themselves but the ones that had the CEO's sacked were the ones already heading towards beyond repair.

Then talk of total workforce of UBA vs ICB. And so many other things.
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by odedele: 8:43am On Dec 21, 2009
but sanusi says uba its healthy.sanusi should know dat d families of d sacked workers will never 4 give him
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by Sonofpeace(m): 9:30am On Dec 21, 2009
Based on what has just happened in UBA it simply means that all the activities of sanusi are politically backed-up. A company that doesnt have financial problem in their balance sheet will never cut cost(if a company do cut cost is either they are trying to reduce their liability or they want to increase their asset). What all these means is that inter and other banks whose ceo were replaced have been used as political lab rat to experiment govt evil desires which seems to have failed them. Question sanusi need to answer concerning what have just happened are; 1. Does a company cut cost without having a balance sheet deficit? 2. If true that there are problems with UBA balance sheet, why did he spear UBA CEO? 3. What is CBN doing to protect the incentives of the sacked workers? 4. What is CBN doing to prevent further sacking of bank employee?
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by No2Atheism(m): 10:10am On Dec 21, 2009
odedele:

but sanusi says uba its healthy.sanusi should know dat d families of d sacked workers will never 4 give him

is there an evidence of this . . .
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by princekevo(m): 11:02am On Dec 21, 2009
Sonofpeace:

Based on what has just happened in UBA it simply means that all the activities of sanusi are politically backed-up. A company that doesnt have financial problem in their balance sheet will never cut cost(if a company do cut cost is either they are trying to reduce their liability or they want to increase their asset). What all these means is that inter and other banks whose ceo were replaced have been used as political lab rat to experiment govt evil desires which seems to have failed them. Question sanusi need to answer concerning what have just happened are; 1. Does a company cut cost without having a balance sheet deficit? 2. If true that there are problems with UBA balance sheet, why did he spear UBA CEO? 3. What is CBN doing to protect the incentives of the sacked workers? 4. What is CBN doing to prevent further sacking of bank employee?
you have some good points there and few question we should be asking at the moment.
otukpo:

It is called control measure.
Even though i never liked UBA, they don't have to wait to be empty like Intercontinental b4 they start doing something to recover.

Most banks were affected due to unhealthy competition among themselves but the ones that had the CEO's sacked were the ones already heading towards beyond repair.
Then talk of total workforce of UBA vs ICB. And so many other things.

Now you said is a managerial control measures. Why the sudden control measures when they were declared failure free jst few months ago? The last Audit conducted on their BS shows they do no have any finacial problem? You can only apply such control measures that affects people life, and career when there is a cause for alarm. So something must be fishing within which i and you dont know.
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by foyeks2001(f): 11:47am On Dec 21, 2009
e don tey
no be today
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by omiras: 11:59am On Dec 21, 2009
may God be with us
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by idomababe(f): 2:27pm On Dec 21, 2009
The truth is that , the banks were over staff and , the staff were overpaid,
The kind of armed robber salary they were all collecting,cannot be sustained.
Its either they take drastic pay cut or they would all loose their jobs.
Truth is without sharp practices their lifestyles cannot be sustained.
Its just a shame,
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by Finecat(m): 2:49pm On Dec 21, 2009
idomababe:

The truth is that , the banks were over staff and , the staff were overpaid,
The kind of armed robber salary they were all collecting,cannot be sustained.
Its either they take drastic pay cut or they would all loose their jobs.
Truth is without sharp practices their lifestyles cannot be sustained.
Its just a shame,

BINGO!! Some of us that really knew what was going on has been raising alarms since 2006/2007 and was vigorously attacked by NL bank workers. It's kinda funny that some of those guys doesn't seem to sign on to NL anymore, i can only imagine what happened. Nigerian banks has lived on burrowed times and false representations. How do you justify billions of Naira in profits when no other sectors in the country is breathing? I really feel bad for the bank workers 'cause going from N1.5 million Naira/year to N0 Naira/ year will not be easy. It's funny when some on this forum say "start your own business, invest your money wisely" etc. If it was easy for these bankers to start their own business do you think doctors, Lawyers, Pharmacists etc will be working in the bank?
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by sikaz: 7:17pm On Dec 21, 2009
It's high time we started to think about our future in this country.

What l understand is the fact that no employer of labour will keep
you till eternity.

You're just a tool for their personal use and gain.

However, I'll advise everybody to start thinking about how to own
their personal businesses in order to secure a brighter future for
yourself and your children.

Self-employment is the answer to all this heart-breaking exercise
by banks and other employers.

It's not difficult to have your own business,though you may have
to miss all those enjoyment you had in your last place of work,but
you have a guarantee in the fact that you are your own employer
and you can do whatever you like with your time and money.
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by eneomojo: 2:24pm On Dec 22, 2009
Na only God go help we 4 dis country.
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by superstar1(m): 1:25pm On Dec 23, 2009
is it everybody that can be an entrepreneur?
all those motivational talks that u listen to only works in America and not 9ja. The cost of running ur generator on diesel for the month would have depleted ur profit line deeply. Always evaluate urself and see whether u can be an entrepreneur or u r better off as a an employee and chart ur path and move on with it. For u to even be a successful entrepreneur u need some tutelage , u dont just jump into a biz like dat, orelse u will get ur fingers burnt badly,esp if thats ur last card.
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by rubu: 11:51am On Dec 24, 2009
God will help us if we try. Nothing is impossible.
Re: UBA Bank Downsizes by kobikwelu(m): 9:35am On Dec 28, 2009
Would sum1 help me enlighten those talkin of global meltdown dat dis has nuttin to do with it, even if a thousand banks were closed down in the USA and a thousand more lost their jobs not one of dem had an issue based purely on giving out none performing loans and management decision to favour themselves

ermmm oga ctrume, ur wrong in the above assertion.
the reason for the global crises was basically becos of bad non-performing loans.

investment banks gave loans to mortgage bankers who in turn built hauses(THE INDUSTRY IS BASED ON TRUST)as a result of this, there was a hausing glut. to mop up these hauses, these bankers had to result to giving sub standard loans(sub prime )-to those that did not have the prospect to payback. in the end, these sub prime borrowers defaulted and their hauses had to be foreclosed.
consequently, these mortgage banks could not recover their money to pay back the investment banks that gave them their loans

these investment banks in turn could not get their money back and also had to pay those people that bought their bonds (HIGH RISK/HIGH YIELD) tied to sub prime lending.
hence the cascading effect and the inability to get credit (THATS WHY IT WAS CALLED LIQUIDITY SQUEEZE)

Also, most of these banks paid obscene bonuses to themselves, bought yatchs, condoes and the likes.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Salary Of Teachers In Private Schools In Lagos / Can A Doctor Work In An Oil Company / [PHOTOS] Chartered Institute Of Taxation (CITN) Hold Her 39th Induction Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.