Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,408 members, 7,815,897 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo (4535 Views)

Four Quick Thoughts On The Zamfara Massacre By Farooq Kperogi / Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre / "John Yep Ordered Mambila Genocide On Fulani In Radio Station" - Fulani Elders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by Youngadvocate(m): 7:42pm On Mar 15, 2017
This is a text version of the video entitled “Most Vulnerable Nigerians - The Legacy of the Asaba Massacres.” The piece is not intended to incite; far from it. One is perturbed that truth and facts of our common history is distorted by disgruntled elements. The real stories and pictures are scuttled so that our youths and younger generations do not benefit from the powerful tool of authentic historical knowledge.

In this text-transcribed-narrative therefore, an exposition of history is yet again revisited, this time, by survivors of a historical pogrom that even the generation unborn cannot let sleep.

After a historical brief, you will hear the survivors speak with deep pains and some heavy tears raining down their cheek as they narrate the horror they witnessed at younger age, during the massacre of Asaba indigenes by the federal troops. And you will come to understand why they were indeed, part of the most vulnerable Nigerians; the Igbo people.

The chain of events that led to the death of the Asaba indigenes began years before. The British government created Nigeria by cobbling together many once independent territories, each with its own culture. In 1960 when it gained independence, Nigeria was home to over 200 different ethnic groups, the largest being the Hausa-Fulani, Yoruba and Igbo. Fears that one group would dominate led to ethnic tension and corrupt election which set the stage for the overthrow of the civilian rule by a group of officers in January 1966. Many northerners saw this as the Igbo power play. Already, there had been long resentments against the Igbo who had embraced western education and become leaders in business and civil service across the country.

Attacks on Igbo people erupted in many cities of northern and western Nigeria that May (1966). A counter-coup replaced Igbo head of state with Col. Yakubu Gowon in July. And the killings of the igbo especially in the north, escalated into serious massacre (which many view as Pogroms) and was more intense in September, same year. Thousands of Igbos fled to their ancestral homes in the East and Mid-West including Asaba.

By early 1967, the Governor of the Eastern state, Col Emeka Odumegwu Ojukwu saw that the Igbo were no longer safe in Nigeria. After political negotiations failed, he declared the sovereign state of Biafra on May 30th, soon after, civil war broke out.

Located on the west bank of River Niger, Asaba was erroneously assumed not to be part of Biafra; it was including by the Nigerian government as a remaining part of the multi-ethnic mid-western region. It was a quiet town; its population was later swollen by the arrival of igbo people forced home as refugees from the north and west. The war came to Asaba in 1967 when the Biafran troops crossed the mid-west. They quickly spread west, overrunning the Benin City and coming within striking distance to the Lagos. The federal forces quickly secured assistance and regained their initiative; re-took the Benin City in late September and pushed the Biafrans back to Asaba. On October 5, the retrieving Briafran troop crossed back into Biafra, burning the Bridge as they left.

Federal troops under Murtala Muhammed arrived late on October 5 striking fear into the Asaba towns’ people. Soldiers began going from house to house, rounding-up men and boys suspected to be Biafrans, soldiers gathered people (unarmed civilians) together and execution began.

Here are the survivors’ narrations:

Survivor 1(Man): I looked around and I saw machine guns being mounted all around us some of them were also carrying automatic rifles. And my father was lying no too far from me (as a child). His eyes were open, but he was dead. (Survivor wipes tears with his palm as he paused his narration).

Survivor 2 (Man): (When they came to our area) There was silence, and the next thing, they started shooting (describes the manner with his hands).

Survivor 3 (Woman): Somebody came, looking for my brother-in-law and said that federal troops had come into Asaba and they were burning houses. They open the door and you tell them no Biafran troops were there, the house would be burned, everything would be burned.

Survivor 4-Gertrude Ogunkoye (She says she is Igbo from Asaba but married a Yoruba man after the war): A man, a young man, maybe in his late 20s or early 30s came with his wife; the wife just had a new baby. Then sitting where we were with the man with the baby, a soldier came to him and said, (wetin u dey do here, wetin u dey do here. He didn't say anything. So he (the soldier) said "take that baby, give your wife, tell am, tell them bye bye. Move, I say, move, move!" as he was moving, he was turning to look at the soldier telling him to move; like, what do you want me to do?
Continue reading: http://igbobia.com/?q=1967-asaba-massacre-by-the-nigerian-army-the-untold-truth-of-the-slaughter-of-innocent-igbo.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by blessme2019(m): 7:43pm On Mar 15, 2017
Una no dey tire

4 Likes

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by Fremancipation: 7:45pm On Mar 15, 2017
blessme2019:
Una no dey tire

Bring your family members so I can shoot them since human life and suffering mean nothing to you.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by blessme2019(m): 7:51pm On Mar 15, 2017
Fremancipation:

Bring your family members so I can shoot them since human life and suffering mean nothing to you.
Na today? So your family members follow die? Kpele ooo,

Let me remind you again, if you guys take up arms against the Nation Nigeria, it's forces; The Revered Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria will crush you all out, and trust me, there will be collateral damage (your family members) as you have rightly pointed up there.

8 Likes

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by Youngadvocate(m): 8:06pm On Mar 15, 2017
blessme2019:

Let me remind you again, if you guys take up arms against the Nation Nigeria, it's forces; The Revered Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria will crush you all out, and trust me, there will be collateral damage (your family members) as you have rightly pointed up there.
Please, the article was written to inform us an possibly spur us to action of giving salient critique to matters arising from our common historical reality. Let us shun insults against one another as that isn't the intent of this write-up.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by SlayerSupreme: 8:06pm On Mar 15, 2017
[s]
blessme2019:

[/s]

Thrash.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by Fremancipation: 8:07pm On Mar 15, 2017
blessme2019:

LOL the same armed forces that confessed that they cannot operate at night?

The same armed forced that was detained by Cameroonian forces after book haram chased them across the border.

The same armed forces that denied for months the death of over 100 soldiers after book harm ambushed them.

The same armed forces that woefully failed with operation crocodile smile against the niger delta avengers

The same armed forces that ceded bakassi peninsula without firing a single shot. Never happened in history.

The same armed forces that shoot innocent bus drivers and passenger just because of #20 bribe.

I can go on and on.

Just because IPOB decided to go the peaceful route in order to gain international support doesn't mean that they are not capable of amassing the largest insurgency that will make boko haram a child's play.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by giles14(m): 8:09pm On Mar 15, 2017
blessme2019:

I pity or generation

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by blessme2019(m): 8:09pm On Mar 15, 2017
SlayerSupreme:

Thrash.
Another fuckta®d on the loose
Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by blessme2019(m): 8:10pm On Mar 15, 2017
giles14:
I pity or generation

Wonder what this one is saying sef, shey your generation will be proud of what you just typed abi?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by farouk0403(m): 8:13pm On Mar 15, 2017
Op are you trying to start another war?

1 Like

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by blessme2019(m): 8:13pm On Mar 15, 2017
Fremancipation:

LOL the same armed forces that confessed that they cannot operate at night?

The same armed forced that was detained by Cameroonian forces after book haram chased them across the border.

The same armed forces that denied for months the death of over 100 soldiers after book harm ambushed them.

The same armed forces that woefully failed with operation crocodile smile against the niger delta avengers

The same armed forces that ceded bakassi peninsula without firing a single shot. Never happened in history.

The same armed forces that shoot innocent bus drivers and passenger just because of #20 bribe.

I can go on and on.

Just because IPOB decided to go the peaceful route in order to gain international support doesn't mean that they are not capable of amassing the largest insurgency that will make boko haram a child's play.

Just carry arms na and stop typing long story.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by Youngadvocate(m): 8:17pm On Mar 15, 2017
Please, the article was written to inform us an possibly spur us to action of giving salient critique to matters arising from our common historical reality. Let us shun insults against one another as that isn't the intent of this write-up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by BiafraBushBoy(m): 8:17pm On Mar 15, 2017
I am from Asaba and till today, I do visit the square where it happened.

Very bad history to remember. Our family lost uncountable bread winners, who were deceived to come out and dance for the Nigerian soldiers.

Not knowing they were going to meet their doom!!

Stupid country and that is the reason all those who support this government will continue to suffer!!!

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by Fremancipation: 8:17pm On Mar 15, 2017
blessme2019:

Just carry arms na and stop typing long story.

NO we have a deadlier weapon. As Nnamdi Kanu once said " I will use the truth to destroy Nigeria". Nigeria and the TRUTH are life long enemies. We will use the TRUTH to dismantle your credibility among the international community. This is not a sprint. It is a marathon. buckle up.

13 Likes

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by blessme2019(m): 8:18pm On Mar 15, 2017
Fremancipation:

NO we have a deadlier weapon. As Nnamdi Kanu once said " I will use the truth to destroy Nigeria". Nigeria and the[b] TRUTH [/b]are life long enemies. We will use the [b]TRUTH[/b]to dismantle your credibility among the international community. This is not a sprint. It is a marathon. buckle up.

Is it the same Nnamdi Kanu that is locked up in Kuje Prison?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by seunmsg(m): 8:20pm On Mar 15, 2017
The story of Asaba massacre should be told to those beating the drum of war. When you start a war, expect anything.

And to those still crying about it, please move on. American dropped a very deadly atomic bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki killing thousands of innocent people. Today, American and Japan are the best of allies. Japan moved on quickly because they recognised that anything goes in war. It's time you cry babies move on and stop over flogging this issue.

10 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by Fremancipation: 8:23pm On Mar 15, 2017
blessme2019:

Is it the same Nnamdi Kanu that is locked up in Kuje Prison?

Lol Even Nnamdi Kanu want to stay there longer in order to finish exposing Nigeria as the Zoo he called it. Now your legals system has been exposed to be worse than banana republic.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by blessme2019(m): 8:30pm On Mar 15, 2017
Fremancipation:

Lol Even Nnamdi Kanu want to stay there longer in order to finish exposing Nigeria as the Zoo he called it. Now your legals system has been exposed to be worse than banana republic.

1. Carry arms and confirm what I have just said or
2. Pack and go to another country.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by Fremancipation: 8:30pm On Mar 15, 2017
seunmsg:
The story of Asaba massacre should be told to those beating the drum of war. When you start a war, expect anything.

And to those still crying about it, please move on. American dropped a very deadly atomic bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki killing thousands of innocent people. Today, American and Japan are the best of allies. Japan moved on quickly because they recognised that anything goes in war. It's time you cry babies move on and stop over flogging this issue.

At least America made sure they pumped in billions of dollars to rebuild Japan but in Nigeria case they lied with the no victor no vanquish nonsense. They went further to build up lagos. To add salt to injury, they constructed a brand new city called Abuja. Evil country.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by Fremancipation: 8:35pm On Mar 15, 2017
blessme2019:

I prefer the slow poisonous venom IPOB is using to torture you guys for now. Its fun to watch. When real armed conflict comes, UK, Russia and Egypt wont come to your aid...

9 Likes

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by giles14(m): 8:36pm On Mar 15, 2017
blessme2019:

Wonder what this one is saying sef, shey your generation will be proud of what you just typed abi?
oooooo so e pain you.
wot the will ur generation say wen dey see that hate speech u call comment

3 Likes

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by blessme2019(m): 8:42pm On Mar 15, 2017
Fremancipation:

I prefer the slow poisonous venom IPOB is using to torture you guys for now. Its fun to watch. When real armed conflict comes, UK, Russia and Egypt wont come to your aid...

Keep hoping on foreign aid, the Nigerian Armed Forces doesn't need any foreign aid to crush this stupid uprising. So just carry arms and confirm what I said earlier.

2 Likes

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by TimeManager(m): 8:54pm On Mar 15, 2017
The blog is ipob-owned, yet the writer was piss poor defending the biafrans ass. The biafran soldiers overran (also stated in the article) Midwest,.thereby committing atrocities against the civilians on a large scale.

Truth is talking!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by Fremancipation: 9:00pm On Mar 15, 2017
TimeManager:
The blog is ipob-owned, yet the writer was piss poor defending the biafrans ass. The biafran soldiers overran (also stated in the article) Midwest,.thereby committing atrocities against the civilians on a large scale.

Truth is talking!

You must be reading a different article. Where did it say the bolded? Below is what the article said but you decided to add your own lines and assumptions in order to push your twisted agenda

"The war came to Asaba in 1967 when the Biafran troops crossed the mid-west. They quickly spread west, overrunning the Benin City and coming within striking distance to the Lagos."

5 Likes

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by ZombieTERROR: 9:04pm On Mar 15, 2017
blessme2019:

Who the hell are u threatening ?
Are u ok in the head
Go take care of ur mental health

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by ZombieTERROR: 9:11pm On Mar 15, 2017
blessme2019:

Any nation that forces unity on her citizenry is no nation
It's a contraption, a dungeon and a zoo
It's a den of lawlessness ,deceit ,injustice and nepotism

At the end of the day
That said nation is doomed to fail
As it can never prosper

3 Likes

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by TimeManager(m): 9:19pm On Mar 15, 2017
Fremancipation:

[s]You must be reading a different article. Where did it say the bolded? Below is what the article said but you decided to add your own lines and assumptions in order to push your twisted agenda[/s]

"The war came to Asaba in 1967 when the Biafran troops crossed the mid-west. They quickly spread west, overrunning the Benin City and coming within striking distance to the Lagos."
From the highlighted:
a) who crossed the mid-west?
b) who quickly spread west, overrunning (invade, maim, destroy & imposed a biafran Administrator on) the Benin City

If you would be truthful to yourself embarassed embarassed embarassed

Kiss the truth!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by SlayerSupreme: 9:32pm On Mar 15, 2017
[s]
blessme2019:
Another fuckta®d on the loose
[/s]
Miserable ewedu lowlife.

4 Likes

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by blessme2019(m): 9:34pm On Mar 15, 2017
ZombieTERROR:

Any nation that forces unity on her citizenry is no nation
It's a contraption, a dungeon and a zoo
It's a den of lawlessness ,deceit ,injustice and nepotism

At the end of the day
That said nation is doomed to fail
As it can never prosper

You seem to know a lot about history, so don't let it repeat itself period.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by blessme2019(m): 9:34pm On Mar 15, 2017
SlayerSupreme:

Miserable ewedu lowlife.

You see me answer you?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1967 Asaba Massacre By The Nigerian Army: The Untold Truth Of Genocide On Ndigbo by blessme2019(m): 9:35pm On Mar 15, 2017
ZombieTERROR:

Who the hell are u threatening ?
Are u ok in the head
Go take care of ur mental health

Lol.. Trust me, the TRUTH IS BITTER TO HEAR

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Amosun Shades Tinubu, Oshiomhole, Amaechi, Aregbesola On Twitter and Facebook / Atiku Won In All Nine Local Governments In Akwaibom State / IPOB Members Awaiting For Buhari At The Venue Of 7th TICAD Summit—Dele Momodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.