Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,391 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

Lawyers: Please Satisfy My Curiosity! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Lawyers: Please Satisfy My Curiosity! (775 Views)

Osun Lawyers In Suit Cutting Grasses (Photos) / Two Senior Nigerian Lawyers Punished, SAN Title Removed / Top 10 Richest Lawyers In Nigeria 2017 - Law Repository Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lawyers: Please Satisfy My Curiosity! by joycesims(f): 8:38pm On Mar 15, 2017
I'm a movie buff with preference for law,crime and detective movies.

Pls, I'd appreciate answers to these questions:

1. What exactly is the role of the judge in cases that go to trial, since the jury gives the verdict?

2. Is the judge like a monitor to maintain order/decorum in Court?

3. Do we pick members of the jury in Nigeria

4. When a juror is summoned, is it a must you partake in the case?

5. Are the jurors paid

I'm just a naive and curious person, so please I'd very much appreciate the response(es).

Thank you.
Re: Lawyers: Please Satisfy My Curiosity! by MrMcJay(m): 6:18am On Mar 16, 2017
joycesims:

I'm a movie buff with preference for law,crime and detective movies.

Pls, I'd appreciate answers to these questions:

1. What exactly is the role of the judge in cases that go to trial, since the jury gives the verdict?

2. Is the judge like a monitor to maintain order/decorum in Court?

3. Do we pick members of the jury in Nigeria

4. When a juror is summoned, is it a must you partake in the case?

5. Are the jurors paid

I'm just a naive and curious person, so please I'd very much appreciate the response(es).

Thank you.

The Jury system is practiced in the US and some other jurisdictions, but it is NOT practiced in Nigeria. In Nigeria, only the Judge rules and gives judgement in contentious matters before him in court.

To answer your questions,

1. The judge is like a legal adviser to the jury. S/he ensures that pieces of evidence adduced, witnesses summoned and testimony given are in accordance with existing laws.

2. Yes.

3. No juries in Nigeria.

4. Yes, participation is a must as it's a civic duty. However, a juror my be excused based on certain considerations.

5. No, they aren't paid. Accommodation and feeding during sequestration are taken care of by the government.
Re: Lawyers: Please Satisfy My Curiosity! by joycesims(f): 6:38am On Mar 16, 2017
MrMcJay:

The Jury system is practiced in the US and some other jurisdictions, but it is NOT practiced in Nigeria. In Nigeria, only the Judge rules and gives judgement in contentious matters before him in court.

1. The judge is like a legal adviser to the jury. S/he ensures that pieces of evidence adduced, witnesses summoned and testimony given are in accordance with existing laws.

2. Yes.

3. No juries in Nigeria.

4. Yes, participation is a must as it's a civic duty. However, a juror my be excused based on certain considerations.

5. No, they aren't paid. Accommodation and feeding during sequestration are taken care of by the government.

Gosh! Being a juror, seems risky to me undecided

Thank you so much cheesy
I'm satisfied.
Re: Lawyers: Please Satisfy My Curiosity! by MrMcJay(m): 6:44am On Mar 16, 2017
joycesims:

Gosh! Being a juror, seems risky to me undecided

Thank you so much cheesy
I'm satisfied.

Being a judge is also risky. However, just as we have witness protection programs for witnesses, there are also protective measures for jurors.

Sequestration does a lot of good for the jurors and limits the ability of litigants from reaching the jurors, hence they are insulated from influence.
Re: Lawyers: Please Satisfy My Curiosity! by joycesims(f): 7:02am On Mar 16, 2017
MrMcJay:

Being a judge is also risky. However, just as we have witness protection programs for witnesses, there are also protective measures for jurors.

Sequestration does a lot of good for the jurors and limits the ability of litigants from reaching the jurors, hence they are insulated from influence.

Hmm, true!

But for the jurors, "could be I watch too much movies" I'd fear the litigant would come after me,lol.

This jury system can't be practiced in Nigeria of today, right?
Re: Lawyers: Please Satisfy My Curiosity! by LegitBoy(m): 10:34am On Mar 16, 2017
joycesims:

Hmm, true!

But for the jurors, "could be I watch too much movies" I'd fear the litigant would come after me,lol.

This jury system can't be practiced in Nigeria of today, right?
There are basically two popular forms of legal systems; the accusatorial and the inquisitorial systems. the former is what we have in Nigeria with judge listening to argument of litigants then give his/her ruling or judgement. We can't have jury system unless there's an overhaul of our present legal system.
Re: Lawyers: Please Satisfy My Curiosity! by joycesims(f): 10:50am On Mar 16, 2017
LegitBoy:
There are basically two popular forms of legal systems; the accusatorial and the inquisitorial systems. the former is what we have in Nigeria with judge listening to argument of litigants then give his/her ruling or judgement. We can't have jury system unless there's an overhaul of our present legal system.

I'm really learning,
Thank you much.
Re: Lawyers: Please Satisfy My Curiosity! by hardbody: 1:18pm On Mar 16, 2017
MrMcJay:

2. Yes.

3. No juries in Nigeria.

Dead on point. Nothing to add.

(1) (Reply)

A Career In Real Estate Using Your Bedroom As Office And Make Millions Monthly / Working For Government And Owning A Company / Atswa Lectures For Sept 2018 Diet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.