Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,187 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

CNN: Britain against referendum and separation. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / CNN: Britain against referendum and separation. (828 Views)

The Kurdish Referendum And What You Need To Know / UN, UK Distance Self From Kurdistan Referendum And Secession / Mauritania Votes To Abolish Senate By Referendum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CNN: Britain against referendum and separation. by destinysaid(m): 6:02pm On Mar 16, 2017
London (CNN)
[/b]
[b]British Prime Minister Theresa May has rejected demands for a new Scottish independence referendum, saying "now is not the time" for a vote as Britain prepared to begin Brexit talks.

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon on Monday called for a vote before Britain leaves the European Union.

But May rejected the timescale on Wednesday, saying the UK should be "working together, not pulling apart."
Sturgeon had accused May of failing to to engage with her call for Scotland to remain in the European single market after Brexit, and that Scotland risked being taken out of the EU against its will.

But May hit back Wednesday, warning Sturgeon, leader of the Scottish National Party (SNP), should stop talking about independence and instead focus getting a good deal out of Brexit.

"When the SNP government say that it's the time to start talking about a second independence referendum I say that just at this point all our energies should be focused on our negotiations with the European Union about our future relationship," she said in a televised statement.
"And to be talking about an independence referendum will, I think, make it more difficult for us to be able to get the right deal for Scotland, and the right deal for the UK."

Scottish Secretary David Mundell said the UK government would not entertain negotiations with Sturgeon over the possibility of second referendum.
He said the referendum proposal by the SNP was "not fair" and would not allow the people to "make an informed choice."

Article 50 trigger
May is expected to trigger Article 50 later this month, allowing for the start of formal negotiations to begin between Britain and the other 27 member states of the European Union over the country's divorce from Brussels.

The Prime Minister said it would be unfair on the Scottish people to hold a referendum without knowing the terms of Brexit deal with an agreement expected to be reached by 2019.

"More than that I think it wouldn't be fair to the people of Scotland because they'd be asked to make a crucial decision without the necessary information without knowing what the future partnership will be or what the alternative for an independent Scotland would look like," she added.

"So I think just now we should be putting all our energies into ensuring that we get that right deal for the UK and the right deal for Scotland in our negotiations with the European Union, that's my job as Prime Minister."
Before Scotland holds a referendum, the UK government must agree to the vote.

Scotland backed to remain in the EU by 62% to 38% and Sturgeon believes the shift of landscape following the Brexit vote may persuade some Scots that independence is the solution.

A spokesman for the First Minister described Mrs May's statement as "spectacularly unclear," according to the UK Press Association.

He said: "If we do get clarity that what the PM means is that discussion about a referendum should not even begin until some point after Brexit, then effectively what the PM is doing is unilaterally blocking a referendum. That would be a democratic outrage."
When questioned how bad a move it would be from May to reject Scotland's wishes for a referendum, he added: "I think it would play disastrously. I think it would be a miscalculation and a blunder of epic and historic proportions"

Source:http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/16/europe/theresa-may-scottish-referendum-nicola-sturgeon-brexit/index.html?sr=fbcnni031617theresa-may-scottish-referendum-nicola-sturgeon-brexit0444PMVODtopLink&linkId=35541363

Mynd44
OAM4J
Seun
Lalasticlala

Re: CNN: Britain against referendum and separation. by CarlosTheJackal: 6:08pm On Mar 16, 2017
Did you see how Theresa May explained the reason why Scottish independence should be placed on hold without threatening anybody or group

Buhari i can tell you that any thunder wey no fire you no be better thunder

You are not fit to be a president rather you should be a cattle herder

4 Likes

Re: CNN: Britain against referendum and separation. by allcomage: 6:09pm On Mar 16, 2017
that is maturity @ it's best.nobody is being teargassed or shot.relationships should be cordial.
Re: CNN: Britain against referendum and separation. by destinysaid(m): 6:10pm On Mar 16, 2017
CarlosTheJackal:
Did you see how Theresa May explained the reason why Scottish independence should be placed on hold without threatening anybody or group

grin bro easy na, I no be buhari
Re: CNN: Britain against referendum and separation. by madridguy(m): 6:15pm On Mar 16, 2017
BIA.FRA

Remain 89%. Leave 11%

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CNN: Britain against referendum and separation. by Nne5: 6:15pm On Mar 16, 2017
kk
Re: CNN: Britain against referendum and separation. by Noneroone(m): 6:20pm On Mar 16, 2017
She did not outrightly reject it. She said any referedum before brexit would deny the scottish people the opportunity to make informed choice in the referendum.
Re: CNN: Britain against referendum and separation. by destinysaid(m): 6:23pm On Mar 16, 2017
Lalasticlala,. . . . . isn't Theresa a snake in human clothing undecided undecided lipsrsealed
Re: CNN: Britain against referendum and separation. by austinsmat(m): 6:25pm On Mar 16, 2017
Buhari you see your life by killin bis.fra and jailin there leader
Re: CNN: Britain against referendum and separation. by drss(m): 6:37pm On Mar 16, 2017
CarlosTheJackal:

dats d difference btw an educated civilized pesin n a local illitrate cattle rearer.

1 Like

Re: CNN: Britain against referendum and separation. by Buharimustgo: 6:51pm On Mar 16, 2017
So why are they supporting their student Nigeria to intimidate, kill and suppress her citizens?
Re: CNN: Britain against referendum and separation. by juman(m): 7:18am On Mar 18, 2017
Hope they remain as one.
Re: CNN: Britain against referendum and separation. by juman(m): 7:19am On Mar 18, 2017
Their last referendum, the labour party worked assiduously to stop it.

But their prime minister reap the gain he won the election overwhelmingly because their people saw him as a strong leader that stopped their country division.

While labour party got their hands burnt, lost in the election.
Re: CNN: Britain against referendum and separation. by seunny4lif(m): 8:15am On Mar 18, 2017
cool
The UK is a goner grin grin
Scoland later Wales and N.Ireland
Then England will have nothing left grin
The British pound will be like Naira cheesy grin grin
Re: CNN: Britain against referendum and separation. by seunny4lif(m): 8:19am On Mar 18, 2017
angry
Do you know how many Irish and Scottish were killed becos they want to break away from UK
Till now N.Ireland is fighting with British government
They have killed many British troops
drss:
dats d difference btw an educated civilized pesin n a local illitrate cattle rearer.

(1) (Reply)

Video: FIFA President Teaches Donald Trump What Yellow Card And Red Card Mean. / Presenting My Support For The Re-election Of President Donald Trump Of USA / Israeli Opposition Inch Closer To Deal To Oust Netanyahu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.