Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,781 members, 7,813,582 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:27 PM

Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure (87652 Views)

Largest Man Made Structure On The Planet. / Eredo, Ijebu Is Infact The Boundary Of The Original Jerusalem / MYTHBUSTER: This Is The Real Largest Man-made Structure, Not Eredo Ijebu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Kakamorufu(m): 8:02am On Mar 24, 2017
olureignforever:

In my own opinion, I think it was people who last saw her that gave her that name. From history,she didn't disclose her identity to people who had contact with her. Sungbo in yoruba means Sleeping in the bush.
u are mouthed
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by encrypt(m): 8:03am On Mar 24, 2017
stubornnn:
There is not one single historical artifact as significant as this in the whole of the South East and I guess that's why the Igbos are constantly jealous of Yorubas.... undecided

....heck, they are not even sure whether they're Africans or Isrealites. Shame and inferiority complex has made them to trade their historical culture for a foreign one...

The irony of it all is that the Jews are unrepentant racists that would mostly avoid any genealogical links with black Africans if possible. undecided
You just had to bring your hatred into a beautiful thread...who is dragging historical artefacts with you? Its obvious your head is buried deep in your anus
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by olureignforever: 8:07am On Mar 24, 2017
Rossikk:
So, conventional belief is that the Eredo earthworks surrounds a kingdom, meaning several towns, villages, empty land, bush etc.

But if it actually was a WHOLE CITY, as some scientists now insist, that means it would be by far the largest city in all human history!!!

If that is the case, then an unbelievable amount of artefacts and treasure lies beneath that land.

Who knows how much GOLD will be found in such a huge city??

The research above states the city traded heavily in gold and ivory.

There would have been thousands of rich families and palatial homes, housing all sorts of treasures!

I can't wait for the digging to commence!

If you say "digging" as in finding out about this place and how it came into being.

But if it's in the context of Digging out the Gold and other treasure, it's a No No. From history nobody take out anything from this place. Just go there and behold it beauty and magnificent.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by olureignforever: 8:13am On Mar 24, 2017
Kakamorufu:
u are mouthed

Are you ijebu?
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by codemaniacs: 8:27am On Mar 24, 2017
k
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Kakamorufu(m): 8:29am On Mar 24, 2017
olureignforever:

Are you ijebu?
Naaaah. Ibadan. buh have good relationship with ijebu people
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by olureignforever: 8:36am On Mar 24, 2017
Kakamorufu:
Naaaah. Ibadan. buh have good relationship with ijebu people

Ok.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Olu317(m): 8:37am On Mar 24, 2017
baby124:

The article is a very confused article, and it does not come to a conclusion or even prove the Egyptian influence on Yoruba culture. I can understand the need to associate any civilization in Africa to Egypt because Egypt was the super power of the world at that time. But it is not true that the Nigerians of today migrated from there. I don't care what assumptions Samuel Johnson claims. Yoruba's developed their social, cultural and economic systems themselves. You know not all Yoruba groups believe in Oduduwa right? It's really only the Ife's and Oyo's that believe that myth. The fact is the people in theNigeria area of today had their own civilization. After all the Dufuna Canoe was discovered in Nigeria and it is 8,000 years old. Older than the so called Egyptian civilization and it was quite sophisticated. If you say Nigerian's migrated to Egypt and built the Egyptian civilization, I may believe you. But not the other way around. That Dufuna canoe provided evidence that we in Nigeria were traveling to other continents 8,000 yrs ago in a very sophisticated canoe designed for long travel. Before Egyptians developed that technology.

The most likely descendants of Egypt or North Africa are the Hausa, Fulani and Kanuri. They are obviously North African stock. Their language and migration or settlement pattern proves that they came from the North and groups settled all over Africa through Sudan before finally reaching Nigeria.
There is nothing like people from Nigeria built Egypt. Cultivation found in Egypt was dated over 7,000 years ago found around the desert part of Egypt. When was a village cultivation found in Nigeria? A 35,000 old stone axe was found in Australia. In Israel,over 50,000 years the old skull was found. The oldest skull was found in East Africa which is over 2,800,000,000 years old. The oldest skull found in Nigeria was at IWO ELERU which is dated about 13,000 years old. All these facts shows people migrated to Nigeria in large numbers and met the Nok Hamitic/ Bantu groups lineage . Get your facts right.

1 Like

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by zeongeon: 8:46am On Mar 24, 2017
This is a very good thread, though I am not yoruba I am impressed about this discovery and the ancient Yoruba civilization. I have always known that we have a lot to learn from the ancients and even in terms of technology there could be a probability the ancients STEM much sophisticated to what we have now. How where they able to move the stones with out crane or heavy duty vehicles and what sort of tools and equipments did they use.

Where the ancient kings or queens who saw to these projects nephilims and did they posses some magical powers.

The ancients hold so much secrets that we do not know about we can only keep guessing or try to mimic them but can never come close to there great feats.

2 Likes

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Olu317(m): 8:47am On Mar 24, 2017
codemaniacs:

spell it using Ya not Yo... Ya-ruba.

look for Ya-ruba dynasty...

it was called Ya-ruba dynasty.. which is now a small part of a "mid-eastern country"..

you're very wrong...

Yoruba means:

Yo = joy
iru = seeds
oba = gods/goddesses/kings/queens

Yoruba = joy of gods..

now replace the Yo with Ya or Iya.. cool cool

jantavanta would love this thread
YARUBA DYNASTY WAS ABSOLUTELY DIFFERENT FROM YORUBA/JOROBAM...I KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE YA'RU BA DYNASTY (QAHATAN) WHICH CHASED AWAY THE ISRAELITE FROM YEMEN AND KILLED THE JEWISH RULER. YORUBA OF NIGERIA WILL NEVER BEAR A NAME IF THE YORUBA WERE FOUGHT AGAINST AND THEIR LEADER WAS KILLED. CAN YOU AS A HUMAN BEINGS ACCEPT TO BE CALLED THE NAME OF YOUR OPPRESSORS? FORGET YOUR TRANSLATION. YORUBA LANGUAGE IS MODERN.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by badman007(m): 8:55am On Mar 24, 2017
None but ourselves can free our minds.. We let ourselves down so damm much by forgetting who we are and accepting who they say we are. It's a big shame.

1 Like

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Olu317(m): 8:56am On Mar 24, 2017
ElsonMorali:

Did you read my post at all? Especially the last part?

There was a time when our progenitors weren't bearing the name "Yoruba". The term Yoruba in the history If those bearing that name is a very very recent appellation.

Besides where in my post did I mention edo?

Please read my post again.
EDO WAS A REFERENCE TO THE ADVANCED CONNECTION BETWEEN YORUBA TECHNOLOGICAL KNOWLEDGE AND OTHER PEOPLE. THEN ON THE NAME, YORUBA BORE SO MANY NAMES, SUCH AS AKU, YEBU, USERE-MAGBO, etc

1 Like

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by codemaniacs: 9:02am On Mar 24, 2017
k
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by ceejay4real(m): 9:37am On Mar 24, 2017
stubornnn:
There is not one single historical artifact as significant as this in the whole of the South East and I guess that's why the Igbos are constantly jealous of Yorubas.... undecided

....heck, they are not even sure whether they're Africans or Isrealites. Shame and inferiority complex has made them to trade their historical culture for a foreign one...

The irony of it all is that the Jews are unrepentant racists that would mostly avoid any genealogical links with black Africans if possible. undecided
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by ceejay4real(m): 9:38am On Mar 24, 2017
stubornnn:

I knew one foool would pop up with a very stuupid and tribalistic comment & here you come! Bigoted foool!

1 Like

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by strenghtt: 9:49am On Mar 24, 2017
I just want people to know that the dating of the wall is different from dating of human bbeing remains found buried deep into the ground in that same location. Point is that that territory or location might have been in existence for thousand of years. The walls discovered might have been built long ( thousand of years ) after the death of queen biliqs or Sheba as Christians called her. Until they find human being remains buried deep into the ground of that location they may be wrong using structure like wall to determine the time of civilization of the location. People might have been dwelling in that location for more than 5000 years!!!
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Nobody: 10:45am On Mar 24, 2017
ElsonMorali:

If there's the possibility that Nok=old Yoruba, then there's the possibility that even before Yorubas were known as Nok, they first inhabited the Nile region.

Have you thought about the possibility that those terracota heads and sculptures you're talking about are miniature versions of those great sculptures of Pharaohs and the Sphinx head that they built while they inhabited the Nile area? After all, they were still in transit and wouldn't build anything permanent or gigantic.

My theory is that when the very ancient inhabitants of the Nile were forced to flee down south, they brought along with them their knowledge of artwork amongst other things and they intended to flee as down south as possible from whatever was chasing them.

It is possible that they got to their present location when they encountered the sea at eko. Or Maybe they got to Ife first.

Then they settled down and their propensity to build huge structures as evidenced by the giant statues of Pharaohs, the Sphinx and the pyramids got them to build the Eredo which looks like a gigantic fortress to keep out invaders or to mark territories, something you'd expect from people who had to flee their home because of a war or invasion.

So while I'm not disagreeing with you on the fact that the Nok evolved into the Yorubas, There's also the possibility that the inhabitants of Kemet along the Nile evolved into the Nok people.

How sure are you that the markings on your grandmother's body aren't hieroglyphics?

Do you know that the name "Yoruba" was given to us by later inhabitants of the present day Northern Nigeria whom we call Awusa?

So it begs the questions
1. What is the meaning of the word "Yoruba"?

2. What was the original name of the people now known as Yoruba?

You say it's more likely that the Fulani came from Egypt because of their nomadic lifestyle. I disagree. The Fulani doest just walk around aimlessly because He likes walking. He is a nomad because he looks for the best pastures to graze his cattle on. So tell me, How would the fulanis roam their cattle towards the desert where there's no grass for grazing per se
If we are to follow the current evoluntionary trend right now, mordern man evolved from Kenya, Rift valley so it could arguably make sense to presuppose that Yoruba's might have come from Egypt.

BUT; it still doesn't mean that the Egyptians were the progenitors of the Yoruba Race. After all, it is believed the Native Americans came from Asia yet they have competely different civillizations.

Possibly, Yorubas and Egyptian cultures mixed and led to similar adoptions of Languages and art.
Infact, I conjecture that Yorubas actually kept RECorded History but mainly in the form of tatooed inscriptions of human bodies, possibily either slaves, or priests.

As for the Fulani nomad issue, the Sahara desert was once a lush rainforest so it would make sense to assume that they did indeed turn towards the north.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Nobody: 11:17am On Mar 24, 2017
Olu317:
Odu'a was the first HONI/ORNI/ONI/OONI and not all these jumbo mumbo cooked fairy tales being spread around about OMO OLUWO LO NI by Late Samuel Johnson...The word “OoNI"appellation need be studied very extensively The truth is that there were many interrelationship between Odua group and the other elements. These other elements aren't Obatala group because the progenitor of Yoruba must have had knowledge of Obatala family grouping before the fracas begun that one group believed he was the true lineage of head priestly group, leader and king. This was the problem when Odua group arrived. If it is not true, Can you decode the reason Odua didn't kill Obatala when Obatala was defeated?, This wasn't the norm during the old order. I want to know if the people they call Yoruba today were more sophisticated than Egyptians? I mentioned this because Obatala moved away voluntarily or forcefully for some period but was later absolved into the newly arranged family system created by Odua while Obatala was given a position to occupy. I am tempted to emphasise here that the name Odu- du-wa was not the Yoruba progenitor's name based on correlation and considering few names of his sons such as AKiN OLALOMI FAGBAMILA, OGUN , OKANBI, ORANMIYAN etc. ODU is a IFA term which literally was used to qualify his leadership quality of divinity and coordination. I am still waiting to read the reason, the ancient lineage of Odu'a sons or descendants being referred as OMO UWA /OMO OWA or better still “OWA" which was a more modernised for “UA" or “UWA". The progenitor's name need be carefully examined because the name was a fusion of descriptive word which was fused with his name to become appellation. ODU -DU -WA / ODU -DUA .
Oduduwa was not the First Ooniririsha, it was after his death that they started using the "Ooni" title.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 11:19am On Mar 24, 2017
stubornnn:

Why?
Why are you exhibiting our stup.idity in public?
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by baby124: 12:37pm On Mar 24, 2017
ElsonMorali:

If there's the possibility that Nok=old Yoruba, then there's the possibility that even before Yorubas were known as Nok, they first inhabited the Nile region.

Have you thought about the possibility that those terracota heads and sculptures you're talking about are miniature versions of those great sculptures of Pharaohs and the Sphinx head that they built while they inhabited the Nile area? After all, they were still in transit and wouldn't build anything permanent or gigantic.

My theory is that when the very ancient inhabitants of the Nile were forced to flee down south, they brought along with them their knowledge of artwork amongst other things and they intended to flee as down south as possible from whatever was chasing them.

It is possible that they got to their present location when they encountered the sea at eko. Or Maybe they got to Ife first.

Then they settled down and their propensity to build huge structures as evidenced by the giant statues of Pharaohs, the Sphinx and the pyramids got them to build the Eredo which looks like a gigantic fortress to keep out invaders or to mark territories, something you'd expect from people who had to flee their home because of a war or invasion.

So while I'm not disagreeing with you on the fact that the Nok evolved into the Yorubas, There's also the possibility that the inhabitants of Kemet along the Nile evolved into the Nok people.

How sure are you that the markings on your grandmother's body aren't hieroglyphics?

Do you know that the name "Yoruba" was given to us by later inhabitants of the present day Northern Nigeria whom we call Awusa?

So it begs the questions
1. What is the meaning of the word "Yoruba"?

2. What was the original name of the people now known as Yoruba?

You say it's more likely that the Fulani came from Egypt because of their nomadic lifestyle. I disagree. The Fulani doest just walk around aimlessly because He likes walking. He is a nomad because he looks for the best pastures to graze his cattle on. So tell me, How would the fulanis roam their cattle towards the desert where there's no grass for grazing per se
Egyptians built sculptures with Marble or Stone. Don't forget Yoruba's had a lot of rock formations they could mine, but instead they used terra-cotta and brass. Our brass heads are the most naturalistic and skilled craftsmanship in the world. I take offense to the fact that people try to link that to Egypt. No, we created that ourselves. Our brass heads and art was even better than anything in Europe in that age.

My grandmother's tattoo was her name and age and probably her village. She told me. I remember clearly it was about 5 character's. I was very little when I asked and my grand mother was old when I was little. My father did not have kids early and he was her las t of many. She was probably 90 in the 80's. Apparently the wealthy Yorubas and some villages started tattooing their kids obviously to prevent them from losing their identity if they were sold off. That text was not in English and my grandmother did come from a wealthy background. I suspect this is how a lot of returnee slaves were able to locate their villages and retain their names. The little kids that were tattooed were taught this text. I don't know if they were told to keep it secret because the knowledge obviously died out at some point. I regret every time I think of it that I was not old enough to take a picture of it.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by baby124: 12:50pm On Mar 24, 2017
Olu317:
There is nothing like people from Nigeria built Egypt. Cultivation found in Egypt was dated over 7,000 years ago found around the desert part of Egypt. When was a village cultivation found in Nigeria? A 35,000 old stone axe was found in Australia. In Israel,over 50,000 years the old skull was found. The oldest skull was found in East Africa which is over 2,800,000,000 years old. The oldest skull found in Nigeria was at IWO ELERU which is dated about 13,000 years old. All these facts shows people migrated to Nigeria in large numbers and met the Nok Hamitic/ Bantu groups lineage . Get your facts right.
That there was habitation of Nigeria 13,000 years ago shows there was life in Nigeria. Nigerian's have always been subsistence farmers. We never had huge cities on Egypt's scale. But we had settlements with a good amount of population. In the Iwo Eleru cave there is evidence of the use of tools. The fact that there is human habitation alone shows there would have been cultivation. Cultivation and hunting started in Africa. Long before Egypt was settled. The ancient Egyptians after all were originally Sudanese.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by absoluteSuccess: 12:57pm On Mar 24, 2017
elfico:

I think the story that Oduduwa descended from the sky is generally accepted to be a myth.
It's been long held that Oduduwa came to Ife from the East, with many sources claiming Mecca. And that he met natives in Ife when he arrived. How he was able to reign over them and consolidate his rule is still not clear to me.
I find your story and analysis interesting. Please what are your sources?
I agree that oral traditions were skewed towards a religious point of view, but we cannot throw them away completely.
If you can write more, it would be a pleasure to read.

My brother, my 'proof of reverence' would be a better word, most Yoruba historical resources are still in their pristine forms, yet to be scratched. For instance, where do we look to as 'source' for whatever we like to believe about Sugbo Eredo?

We just need to look deep into local traditions. Is local tradition enough as a source? Maybe no, then where else do we look? The truth is, oral traditions in pristine forms are concrete source, except we want a source that never was. Fact is factual.

There is a woman whose legend spread across Yorubaland, little or nothing is known about this woman in today Yoruba. Yet she was the reason the Alaafin have his hair plated, and Olofin Adimula Ado does the same. She was a woman leader.

Where is the retelling of the history of this legendary woman in the annal of Yoruba history? The Yoruba kings have usurped her throne.

Afimo j'obinrin o!
Iyewa taape nimo.

I appeal to the Yoruba empress.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by ElsonMorali: 1:06pm On Mar 24, 2017
codemaniacs:

you're very wrong...

Yoruba means:

Yo = joy
iru = seeds

Yoruba = joy of gods..

No, I think you are the one who is mistaken here.

Yoruba was the name given to the travellers who were passing through the Northern part of modern day Nigeria.

The natives there after encountering these travelers marveled at the superiority of their knowledge and culture and exclaimed. "Yarubawa ".

Now I can't recall what that word means but it was later corrupted to Yoruba.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by baby124: 1:07pm On Mar 24, 2017
codemaniacs:

spell it using Ya not Yo... Ya-ruba.

look for Ya-ruba dynasty...

it was called Ya-ruba dynasty.. which is now a small part of a "mid-eastern country"..

you're very wrong...

Yoruba means:

Yo = joy
iru = seeds

Yoruba = joy of gods..

Lmao. Iru does not mean seeds in Yoruba. Yoruba mostly are called Aku. Which would have been their ancient name because of their custom of greeting. They will say Eku or Aku at meeting people. There is no meaning to Yoruba for the people called Yoruba today. We are called many things from Aku to Anago. Aku being most popular.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by baby124: 1:09pm On Mar 24, 2017
ElsonMorali:

No, I think you are the one who is mistaken here.

Yoruba was the name given to the travellers who were passing through the Northern part of modern day Nigeria.

The natives there after encountering these travelers marveled at the superiority of their knowledge and culture and exclaimed. "Yarubawa ".

Now I can't recall what that word means but it was later corrupted to Yoruba.
Yoruba is derogatory. It means stubborn or thuggish or troublesome. Maybe because we were always at war at the time. Yoruba's within themselves always went by their sub group name. Like Ijesha, Ekiti, Ijebu and so on. It's outsider's that gave us names to categorize the related people. People from benin republic call us Anago which I hear is also derogatory.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by ElsonMorali: 1:20pm On Mar 24, 2017
baby124:

Yoruba is derogatory. It means stubborn or thuggish or troublesome. Maybe because we were always at war at the time. Yoruba's within themselves always went by their sub group name. Like Ijesha, Ekiti, Ijebu and so on. It's outsider's that gave us names to categorize the related people. People from benin republic call us Anago which I hear is also derogatory.

It is possible that the name was meant to be derogatory, but I so much doubt it.

Why would a people gladly bear a name which is derogatory when they weren't slaves?

The first instinct If you were called a derogatory name would be to feel offended.

The next logical step wouldn't be to adopt that name proudly.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by baby124: 1:31pm On Mar 24, 2017
ElsonMorali:

It is possible that the name was meant to be derogatory, but I so much doubt it.

Why would a people gladly bear a name which is derogatory when they weren't slaves?

The first instinct If you were called a derogatory name would be to feel offended.

The next logical step wouldn't be to adopt that name proudly.

They obviously didn't know the meaning. It's the Hausa's that gave them that name and somehow it stuck. Anago is also derogatory, and that is the name Yoruba's in Benin republic are called. I once met a beninoise lady and she did call me Anago. Even though I corrected her that I was Yoruba. She told her friend that I am Anago.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by ElsonMorali: 1:33pm On Mar 24, 2017
Olu317:
YARUBA DYNASTY WAS ABSOLUTELY DIFFERENT FROM YORUBA/JOROBAM...I KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE YA'RU BA DYNASTY (QAHATAN) WHICH CHASED AWAY THE ISRAELITE FROM YEMEN AND KILLED THE JEWISH RULER. YORUBA OF NIGERIA WILL NEVER BEAR A NAME IF THE YORUBA WERE FOUGHT AGAINST AND THEIR LEADER WAS KILLED. CAN YOU AS A HUMAN BEINGS ACCEPT TO BE CALLED THE NAME OF YOUR OPPRESSORS? FORGET YOUR TRANSLATION. YORUBA LANGUAGE IS MODERN.

All living languages go through changes eventually and the Yoruba language is no exception.

But, unlike most languages, there are very many dialect If the same Yoruba language and this has helped in a way to preserve the Yoruba language from being too influenced by languages of neighboring ethnic groups.

While I submit that the Yorubas irrespective of dialect are one people, I maintain that the dialect spoken by the Ijebu, the Ondo, the Itshekiri and Ekiti are closer to the language spoken by the ancient Yorubas.

The Ibadan, Oyo, Ogbomoso, Ilorin and Ife dialect are much closer to the general Yoruba which is our native lingua franca.

I stand to be corrected though.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by YonkijiSappo: 1:35pm On Mar 24, 2017
baby124:

I don't know how correct that you assertion is.

Yoruba comes from Oyo + Ruba. Oyo being the pre-eminent Yoruba empire at the time.
And it comes from the Songhai empire of Mali.

It is similar to the way the Oyos also called the Baatonus/Borgus Ibaruba or Bariba, and it stuck. I don't think there's anything wrong with it and it has never been derogatory, but rather, descriptive. A long as the name comes from other Africans to describe their neighbors, and not some people from across the seas.

1 Like

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by ElsonMorali: 1:35pm On Mar 24, 2017
Olu317:

All living languages go through changes eventually and the Yoruba language is no exception.

But, unlike most languages, there are very many dialects of the same Yoruba language and this has helped in a way to preserve the Yoruba language from being too influenced by languages of neighboring ethnic groups.

While I submit that the Yorubas irrespective of dialect are one people, I maintain that the dialect spoken by the Ijebu, the Ondo, the Itshekiri and Ekiti are closer to the early Yoruba language generally spoken by the ancient Yorubas.

The Ibadan, Oyo, Ogbomoso, Ilorin and Ife dialect are much closer to the general Yoruba which is our native lingua franca.

I stand to be corrected though.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Adesoji Aderemi: Rolls-royce Of Late Ooni Of Ife On Display At OAU Convocation / Ooni Of Ife Arrives Redeemed Camp In His Luxury Rolls Royce. Photos / Can You Remember Those Pry Sch Songs We Love 2sing Back In D Days?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.