Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,149 members, 7,811,283 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:14 AM

Neighbour Extension Causing Rainwater On My Land - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Neighbour Extension Causing Rainwater On My Land (644 Views)

"My Sister Sold My Land In Ogun" - Deported Man Who Came Back From Abroad / Etisalat NG Is Proposing To Build Mast On My Land / Rain Gutters- Everything About Roof Gutters, Rainwater Harvesting And Drainage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Neighbour Extension Causing Rainwater On My Land by donbuchi1(m): 2:40pm On Mar 22, 2017
I built and live on a half plot in Ikorodu Lagos. At the other end of the plot is my neighbour – a pastor. Before I began building, I got an architect who planned the building and left about 5ft from my building plan to the fence after its erection. Since I didn’t have enough or didn’t think it was overly necessary to build the fence to some coaches, we demarcated the boundary and I went on with my building. My neighbour had built and moved in. It is a 60*124 ft plot – corner piece.

Few years later, he began building boys quarter on his land and at the point of roofing, I called his attention that (1) the boys quarter was too close to the boundary (2) The roof came onto the fence and (3) there was no guttering so rainwater would fall onto my land.
That was when trouble started.

His claim: The land should be divided 60*62ft to give him extra 2ft. Since his boys quarters were already very close to the end of this half plot. This I refused. Omoniles ruled that his share had always been 60*60 and mine 60*64. But the extra 4ft should be left for road/gutter (as initially agreed). They also advised that we put up a fence to forestall further arguments. This I have done.

Whenever, it rains, my compound gets muddy, I am yet to floor the compound. The volume of rainfall is quite heavy.

I approached him to explain the issue and asked that he installs a guttering so we do not get his rainfall on our land. He refused to see my point of view and pushed me but after some people spoke to him he said he would do something about it.
Now has been two months and some developmental works are still ongoing in this compound. Apparently, the suggested gutter meant nothing.

Questions:
1) should one build very close to the fence boundary?
2) Can he just overlap the fence boundary with his roof?
3) Can he refuse to put up a guttering on his side? I don’t want his guttering on my side, it's only about 6 inches anyway, so why should his building come onto my space?
4) What can I do now to solve the situation?
5) Should Christian behave this way?

Thanks for any help!
Re: Neighbour Extension Causing Rainwater On My Land by thirdi(m): 3:32pm On Mar 22, 2017
I will advise you get a lawyer early and take him to court if you have tried talking to him and his not forthcoming. Otherwise he can install a roof gutter water collector. I went through this issue and it only got better when I took the option of the law
Re: Neighbour Extension Causing Rainwater On My Land by maxxx(m): 7:59am On Mar 23, 2017
If it is possible, increase the height of your fence to block the roof sending the rain water into your compound.

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

All About Finishes Details In Building Construction / To Let::: Clean Mini Flat @ Shonibare Estate & Maryland Axis. / 3 Bedroom Bungalow For Sale @ Mowe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.